Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will your opinion on Lopetegui sour if Raul isn't given a send-off this season?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume most of us think that Raul will be off this summer, given that he hasn't made the squad in weeks now.

I think a lot of us would love to sing Si Senor one more time, for everything he gave to this club - although it seems Julen doesn't have much space for the same kind of sentimentality.

Would you feel annoyed at Julen, and would it sour the relationship a little (and also Raul's Wolves story) if we've already seen the last of Raul him in a Wolves shirt?

Are you expecting to see him play again this season, even in a small cameo role?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all would love to see Raul on the pitch one last time and I'd be surprised if he isn't on the bench for Everton. But it won't sour my thoughts on Lopetegui if he isn't. JL is an elite manager and you don't get to be that without having a ruthless streak.

molineuxmen

Groupie
Reaction score
Not in the slightest. Love Raul and will always be a hero BUT JL is an elite manager and we are lucky to have him. If he doesnt play Raul so be it. He will deservedly get a great send off in the lap of honour they will probably do after the full time whistle.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I assume most of us think that Raul will be off this summer, given that he hasn't made the squad in weeks now.

I think a lot of us would love to sing Si Senor one more time, for everything he gave to this club - although it seems Julen doesn't have much space for the same kind of sentimentality.

Would you feel annoyed at Julen, and would it sour the relationship a little (and also Raul's Wolves story) if we've already seen the last of Raul him in a Wolves shirt?

Are you expecting to see him play again this season, even in a small cameo role?
It could be sung anyway?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think him moutinho and Jonny should all be brought on for the last 5 minutes against Everton

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t like the way he’s just been cast aside as it is. He hadn’t even been playing badly, and had shown real promise when paired with Cunha. If it is to be his last season with Wolves (which looks very likely) then he, more than almost anyone else, deserves a big send off from Molineux.

Raul Jimenez is the main reason we reached the heights we did a few years ago, a genuinely elite striker, one of the best in Europe. He’s embraced the club and the local area, he didn’t push for a move when he was being linked with Juventus etc and he literally almost died playing for the football club. He deserves a fantastic send off from us, not to be left out of the squad completely.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
So many much loved players could be off in the summer. It's difficult in competitive football to give them all a goodbye. As Everton will probably need something from the game to stay up it would be unfair to pick a team out of sentiment. That said, I would love to see Raul at play Molineux again.

Then again, football is unpredictable and probable transfers aren't set in stone, as shown by what happened with Neves after last season. Ruben may not get a suitable offer this summer either. Raul has a year left on his contract, what if no one comes in for him with an offer that's suitable for the club or that's personally suitable for Raul? He's on good money and his earning power will be reduced as his form has declined. He might be here another season.

It's likely after this season we'll be saying goodbye to:
Neves
Raul
Moutinho
Jonny
Adama
Costa
Podence

A few others might be going too. The three that really need a good send off are Neves, Raul and Moutinho. However, in competitive football, it's difficult to organise that.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A different scenario and totally different circumstances but I cast my mind back to the last game of the season against Leeds in 1975.The Doog was retiring but McGarry only named him as sub.Despite the constant singing of his name,McGarry only brought him on with about 5 minutes to go.I understand McGarry thought he was too big for his boots and the Doog didn’t rate the former .
As I said ,it’s different circumstances and I am sure if Raul is leaving he will get a true send off by the fans ,and deservedly so .

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably not and would not criticise Lopetegui for doing that
On a personal note I would love to give Raul a great send off at home to Everton but respect Lopetegui whatever decision he/Raul makes
We can still give him a rousing send off as he sits in the exec boxes on matchdays outside on the balcony about 18 yard box South Bank end

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he doesnt bring him on im not fussed, can still give him a send off, maybe he will put him in the squad maybe he wont.

i think every point still counts we could still finish 11th/12th and that money is important per position

Reactions: Ned

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it won't.

The other stuff - that he didn't push for a move (it didn't work out for him at Atletico when he had his big move, and we don't know what was discussed between his agent and the club anyway), that he nearly died playing football (could also happen to any other player), that he was allegedly not appropriately nursed back to fitness by Dr Death (could have happened to any player and probably also did with Jonny, but again conjecture), that he went to the World Cup despite not being fit enough to play for us (it's a World Cup, and if he declares himself fit then he's able to play) and stuff his wife has said on social media (annoying but it's her prerogative to protect her husband, and if she wants to do it by oversharing on social media more fool her) is largely irrelevant - we are still playing for points, and if Lopetegui doesn't feel he warrants a place in the side then he shouldn't pick him. And I have to agree - we look a more cohesive unit with Costa in the side, and by-and-large have been picking up results at home without Raul in the side.

The one thing I'm not so keen on is this idea that he 'lacks intensity in training' and that's why he isn't playing being taken almost as gospel. It seems to have snowballed from a few disparate comments JL (and earlier in the season Neves, although that seems to have been overlooked) made regarding players not playing (and could have been referring to Podence and/or Ait-Nouri and/or plenty of other players just as easily).

I do understand that JL wants as few distractions as possible, especially while our status was in the balance, but saying little seems to have given the anti-Raul brigade ammunition to cast aspersions that may not necessarily be true. Hopefully we will see Raul make the matchday squad and our results will be good enough that we can give him an opportunity to get on the field again and even better register a goal.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all would love to see Raul on the pitch one last time and I'd be surprised if he isn't on the bench for Everton. But it won't sour my thoughts on Lopetegui if he isn't. JL is an elite manager and you don't get to be that without having a ruthless streak.
precisely this.
i genuinely thin the squad is too big and i look forward to numbers being reduced and quality being increased.
that means the likes of Raul sadly need to go!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Are you 12?
Please refer to the Thread 'Kindness and understanding.' Kindness and understanding.

For me it's an important game, we also owe it to the other teams in the relegation battle to give it everything and not treat it like a testimonial.

Would love to sing to him at the end though.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Julen Lopetegui I trust.

Raul can be there for the end of season lap if he isn’t selected. He’ll get the send off he deserves one way or the other.

We can give a few others a send off while we’re at it. It’ll be the last time at Molineux for more than a few of them.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He deserved being given respect and he got it.
He deserved being given time, and he got it.
He deserved to receive all the benefits being signed at a elite professional level, and he got it.
He deserved to be carried for a whole 2 seasons after a terrible injury, and he got it.

And now I turn nasty: Enough already. Club first.

Reactions: Ian

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t like the way he’s just been cast aside as it is. He hadn’t even been playing badly, and had shown real promise when paired with Cunha. If it is to be his last season with Wolves (which looks very likely) then he, more than almost anyone else, deserves a big send off from Molineux.

Raul Jimenez is the main reason we reached the heights we did a few years ago, a genuinely elite striker, one of the best in Europe. He’s embraced the club and the local area, he didn’t push for a move when he was being linked with Juventus etc and he literally almost died playing for the football club. He deserves a fantastic send off from us, not to be left out of the squad completely.
This 100% !!

Well said. Raul has done more for Wolves than Julen Lopetegui !!

It could be Bill McGarry and the departing Doog all over again. No need to be mean about it now that we’re safe with nothing at stake!!

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Maybe somewhat, yes. It would be different if we were playing a striker who is banging them in at the rate of Erling Harland, but he plays Costa who has a semi-decent match every 3 games.

Raul's legacy will eclipse most and I don't see Lopetegui's career reaching the heights we got to under Nuno. If Raul is leaving us this season, at the very least he should be given some game time against Everton and be given the opportunity for fans to give him a send off he deserves.

Last edited:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be nice to say goodbye on the pitch.

But would Raul even want to be picked out of pity? No longer good enough to be selected on merit by his manager, but wheeled out like a mascot to tug on our heartstrings?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won’t effect my opinion of Lopetegui. In some regards I’ll respect him more, assuming he’s seen something in Raul that doesn’t fit with what he wants.

But I’d love the opportunity to give Raul the send off he deserves (assuming he’s going). A small cameo off the bench would be great.

Best Wolves striker in my lifetime, and yes, I saw Bull.

Hope Molineux blasts out a few full volume “Si Senor’s” vs Everton, whether Raul is in the squad or not. It’s the least he deserves.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so many factors for me and depending on your viewpoint it’s easy to be precious or OTT.

Raul has been a great servant and nearly died for us, of that there’s no argument. However we’ve also paid him handsomely for his entire wolves career and probably gave him and the next two generations (at least) of his family a lifestyle very few Mexicans ever see. He’s clearly not been the same player since the awful injury and only he will know why that is. He did himself no favours by going to a World Cup but objectively I understand why he did. I’d also say had the winter market gone as the club had totally wanted he may well have left then with very little fan fare.

When it comes down to the last game, Chuck him on for 10 mins at the end IF we are winning but if not he’ll get a great response final whistle at the usual post game pitch walk

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes been a good servant to the club as has Neves and Mouts
If indeed they are leaving then yes a lap of honour after the game would be applicable and give the fans a chance to express their feelings
As for playing any individual then thats down to JL alone ,and sentiment cant be a part of it ,unless we are 4-0 up with 5 minutes to go which wont happen lol

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We wouldn't be having this conversation if he was injured. He was almost like a god to everyone before his injury. The way you are treating him is heartless.

If I were Raul I wouldn't want to be selected out of pity so that people can feel good about clapping me. He'd have to spend up to 90 minutes running around, knowing the manager is only playing him for sentimental reasons.

Give him a special presentation before or after the game, fine, that would be far better than picking him for non-sporting reasons, in my apparently heartless opinion.

bigwolf

Reaction score
This 100% !!

Well said. Raul has done more for Wolves than Julen Lopetegui !!

It could be Bill McGarry and the departing Doog all over again. No need to be mean about it now that we’re safe with nothing at stake!!

Pretty sure Lopetegui has kept us in the league when we were doomed.

Whilst Raul ran off to play with Mexico when we were in the ****.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think sentiment will come into JL’s thinking for the final games. He will pick what he considers to be the best team for each game. And it won’t affect my thoughts on the manager if he doesn’t give Raul a chance to say goodbye. JL is paid to win games, and I suspect that will be at the forefront of his thinking.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think it would picking him or Moutinho out of pity like there has been a suggestion of. To me, football is about the sentiment and emotion and 2 players like that deserve a send off from the fans, and they deserve to say goodbye to us as well. It wouldnt sour my opinion of Lopetegui, but i'd be disappointed with him if he didnt now we are safe. Sometimes things are bigger than personal disagreements which there clearly is with Raul and Lopetegui. I think it would be pretty cold not to let him say goodbye on the field to the fans after all he's given here.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think it would picking him or Moutinho out of pity like there has been a suggestion of. To me, football is about the sentiment and emotion and 2 players like that deserve a send off from the fans, and they deserve to say goodbye to us as well. It wouldnt sour my opinion of Lopetegui, but i'd be disappointed with him if he didnt now we are safe. Sometimes things are bigger than personal disagreements which there clearly is with Raul and Lopetegui. I think it would be pretty cold not to let him say goodbye on the field to the fans after all he's given here.
Ain’t going to be just raul

Jonny, Traore, Moutinho can’t wait to see Coady join in the clap fest

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes been a good servant to the club as has Neves and Mouts
If indeed they are leaving then yes a lap of honour after the game would be applicable and give the fans a chance to express their feelings
As for playing any individual then thats down to JL alone ,and sentiment cant be a part of it ,unless we are 4-0 up with 5 minutes to go which wont happen lol
Don't think we'll know whose leaving until the dust settles on this PL season.

Back
Top Bottom