Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will your opinion on Lopetegui sour if Raul isn't given a send-off this season?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's like denying someone in a wheelchair access to a stadium because they're in a wheelchair. We are mathematically safe. And you don't think we should put him on the pitch even as a sub. He's not that bad of a player. This is the last time I am going to say this. Yet he just needs more confidence.
That really is not an apt analogy. Banning a wheelchair user from the ground because they are in a wheelchair is illegal. Our manager choosing not to select a player on merit grounds is not.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be nice to say goodbye on the pitch.

But would Raul even want to be picked out of pity? No longer good enough to be selected on merit by his manager, but wheeled out like a mascot to tug on our heartstrings?
I wouldn't mind a cameo. For old time's sake really. I'm sure he can be trotted out maybe as the last sub on 90+5 Minutes, use up a few seconds if ahead. Also Gives the North Bank an incentive to stay. Lemons, lemonade.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
It's like denying someone in a wheelchair access to a stadium because they're in a wheelchair. We are mathematically safe. And you don't think we should put him on the pitch even as a sub. He's not that bad of a player. This is the last time I am going to say this. Yet he just needs more confidence.
No. I can see that you feel strongly, and understand why you might, but thats not a valid comparison I'm afraid.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
If he’s fit, then I see nothing wrong with a sub appearance in the last home game if we’re winning. It’s not like Hwang is streets above Raul when replacing Costa. Same with Mouts—he can see out the game just fine. Get Raul in the match day squad at the very least, just in case.

Let’s hope we smash Everton in the first half so we can see off those key players that made our first two seasons so memorable one last time…

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's really not like that at all, come on you can't suggest those two situations are similar.

Julen doesn't think he is part of our strongest squad. We should always have our strongest squad out there, safe or not.

We've been saying he needs more confidence for the last two years. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Of course there's always the dream scenario. With Arsenal beating Wolves 1-0 after 90 minutes and City losing at Brentford, the Gunners can almost smell the league title. Lopetegui decides to have one last throw of the dice and puts Jimenez on with only injury time to play. Wolves win a corner and Raul rises majestically at the front post to flick it into the far corner past Ramsdale's desperate dive. Final whistles blow and the title is retained by City.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think it would picking him or Moutinho out of pity like there has been a suggestion of. To me, football is about the sentiment and emotion and 2 players like that deserve a send off from the fans, and they deserve to say goodbye to us as well. It wouldnt sour my opinion of Lopetegui, but i'd be disappointed with him if he didnt now we are safe. Sometimes things are bigger than personal disagreements which there clearly is with Raul and Lopetegui. I think it would be pretty cold not to let him say goodbye on the field to the fans after all he's given here.
Why not pick our strongest team, win the game and then allow them to speak to the fans afterwards?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't judge Julen if Raul doesn't get any minutes but i really hope Raul does get some minutes as it would be a nice way to draw a line under a great era.

Season is over so couldn't care less results wise, would rather we use the games to experiment and get a few players minutes for next season.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 100% !!

Well said. Raul has done more for Wolves than Julen Lopetegui !!

It could be Bill McGarry and the departing Doog all over again. No need to be mean about it now that we’re safe with nothing at stake!!
exactly....people calling loppy a god for keeping us up. raul kept us up for 2-3 seasons and had us battling in europe and winning.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be nice to say goodbye on the pitch.

But would Raul even want to be picked out of pity? No longer good enough to be selected on merit by his manager, but wheeled out like a mascot to tug on our heartstrings?
is he not being played because he's bad or because of spite? that's the thing, it probably won't be a pity party if we knew the truth.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 100% !!

Well said. Raul has done more for Wolves than Julen Lopetegui !!

It could be Bill McGarry and the departing Doog all over again. No need to be mean about it now that we’re safe with nothing at stake!!
Agreed... Jimenez has given us some great memories, especially for those like me who went to Wembley...the bloke nearly died playing for us , and he's tried his best against all odds to come back to full fitness.
The man deserves a standing ovation from everyone in molineux, and I hope lopetegui is man enough to see that happens

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes been a good servant to the club as has Neves and Mouts
If indeed they are leaving then yes a lap of honour after the game would be applicable and give the fans a chance to express their feelings
As for playing any individual then thats down to JL alone ,and sentiment cant be a part of it ,unless we are 4-0 up with 5 minutes to go which wont happen lol
is raul that much worse than costa, though? hell no. he deserves more respect than that. oh wait, i forgot, costa makes the team giggle and he scored off his shin....play him instead!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
is he not being played because he's bad or because of spite? that's the thing, it probably won't be a pity party if we knew the truth.

Spite? Why would he not be being picked out of spite?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder whether there’s some truth in JLo being unhappy that he went to the World Cup. He made a comment at the time that he wanted him to stay at Compton, didn’t he? Maybe he thinks that had Raul stayed and did the mini pre season, learned the system and was 100% from the off then he wouldn’t have the “fitness issues” that are being reported.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder whether there’s some truth in JLo being unhappy that he went to the World Cup. He made a comment at the time that he wanted him to stay at Compton, didn’t he? Maybe he thinks that had Raul stayed and did the mini pre season, learned the system and was 100% from the off then he wouldn’t have the “fitness issues” that are being reported.
Would not surprise me in the least.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wouldn't it be great if Loppy and Raul had an agreement to keep him off the pitch to save him and play him all of next season because he's still under contract, effectively sending granpa costa packing?

yeah, that's it...took me a long time to figure it out!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Doing otherwise is disrespectful to the competition and those other clubs in danger of relegation. Indeed we could face charges for doing so.
I'm not sure we
Absolutely. Doing otherwise is disrespectful to the competition and those other clubs in danger of relegation. Indeed we could face charges for doing so.
I'm not sure we could face charges because they are all squad members. I agree with you entirely though. Puts the integrity of the competition into question.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, Wolverhampton Wanderers FC is not a charity.
I don't think anybody has mentioned the fact Everton have their survival to play for. If it was Wolves in Leeds or Forest' position and Everton were playing a team that left key players out to give players a send off we'd be calling for sanctions

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anybody has mentioned the fact Everton have their survival to play for. If it was Wolves in Leeds or Forest' position and Everton were playing a team that left key players out to give players a send off we'd be calling for sanctions
Exactly!!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure there are a few players that we didn’t have chance to say farewell, but that’s the way it goes. Wolves are in a competition to win football games, not parade departing players. Testimonials are for that.
Thinking on this how many of Nuno's fantastic Champs winning side did we say 'goodbye' to? In their way I'd say Boly, Cav, Costa, Saiss, Doc, Jota, Coady and Bennett all deserved a big farewell and thankyou; doubt many got one tbh.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 games not in squad, was when Lopetegui decided to be more stricter on team performance, and only select people who work hard on training. He changed his tactics slightly.

And none of that indicates spite, which is what I was replying to a post about.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody is claiming Wolves FC is a charity. The subject regarding Raul is contentious, hence why someone started a thread about it, and everyone has their own points of view.
Hi there, it's me again! Can I ask that when you reply to a post can you include the post in the reply. Puts your reply into context. Thanks.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody is claiming Wolves FC is a charity. The subject regarding Raul is contentious, hence why someone started a thread about it, and everyone has their own points of view.

Edit: Just like every player is contentious because there is always mixed thoughts and feelings about them. When you are getting paid a lot of money, and in the spot light, you will get talked about. Negatively and positively. It's part of football.
Thought you'd stopped posting on this thread? ;)
The issue is not charity but the integrity of the League, if Everton still could be relegated we play our strongest team surely?

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At this point, i still think Raul is better than Costa. I know, I know, the boss thinks otherwise. I can't argue with that and surely that'll be your comeback.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Changed my mind, I am quite happy to talk about it. What confused me though, is someone mentioned his injury and then tactical decisions. And I was just trying to say, it can't be both surely.
The quote you posted was mine not @northnorfolkwolf, now you've really upset me!:):)

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not really 'upset', I am just confused as to why people are trying to say, oh it's a tactical decision, and then mention his injury. It's just confusing bringing him up when he pretty much wasn't in the games for ages. So why is he suddenly being brought up now? Doesn't make sense does it.
Forget it mate, was saying it's me that's upset by being linked to @northnorfolkwolf, longstanding joke on here but leave it there.
Agree be great to have the opportunity to give Raul a great send-off even after the game, why I'm planning to attend.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would personally like to see Raul on the bench for the Everton game.

It looks like Costa is JL’s first choice for the striker role now, but we will need someone on the bench to cover for him. I hope that’s Raul for our last home game.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are £millions paid to clubs based on where they finish in the Premier League. Last season each place in the table was worth £2.2million and I’m sure Mr Shi is aware of that. We are currently 13th and if that’s where we are guaranteed to finish (can’t see us finishing higher than 12th, but we could still finish 17th)), maybe JL will ‘tinker’. With the kind of money on offer, sentiment should not come into team selection in these circumstances, as sad as I am to say it.

Whatever team and bench JL’s selects Raul will be at the Mol when we play Everton and will be on the pitch at the end. He will definitely receive his deserved ‘Si Senor’ chant. Maybe, just maybe he will be with us for one more season and it won’t be ‘Adios Senor’.

Back
Top Bottom