Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ron Flowers RIP

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP Ron. I missed his era but have seen some footage and what a player in a fantastic team. Used to have a mooch around his sports shop as a kid and can remember buying an England top from there on the way to us v Cardiff one year. Go and have a game up there with the other legends Ron.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember going to his testimonial match in 1970. The only chance I ever had to see some of the great players of the 1950s play at Molineux. They had two matches,the first included Hancocks Mullen and many other fantastic former players, the second game Wolves v International X1 including the great Ron Flowers. I spoke to him on a few occasions in his Queen St shop. A real gentleman. RIP

Attachments

• 1583E0AF-EBE6-4C45-A2B1-5D990E8255AF.jpeg
    1583E0AF-EBE6-4C45-A2B1-5D990E8255AF.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 11

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad to hear this. Caught the tail end of his career only but what a player and leader. A true legend who deserves a statue at the very least. A hero in golden times who will never be forgotten. Rest in the knowledge of being a supreme sportsman and great character for a great club.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moment of applause for Ron at Wembley tonight and Sir Geoff Hurst laying an England top, with Flowers on the back, on the hallowed turf. Nice touch. Sir Geoff looked very emotional.
He did.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shed a tear or two watching this. It's really hit me this. I only met him in the shop on the few occasions I went in and plucked up the courage to say a few stupid words about the Wolves team of what was then the early 80s. God knows how folk who knew him well and of course his family are feeling. God bless them.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon @PumpKing is the guy for this
I would love nothing more Jade,a great idea and I know I could arrange this, and I would be very pleased to do so.

If anyone would like to suggest something, maybe a floral tribute to Ron on behalf of Molineuxmix, then I can arrange for it to be laid in a suitable place at the ground.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s got to be flowers for Flowers, hasn’t it? Everyone bring a bunch to the game v West Ham.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moment of applause for Ron at Wembley tonight and Sir Geoff Hurst laying an England top, with Flowers on the back, on the hallowed turf. Nice touch. Sir Geoff looked very emotional.
Sadly not many of the England 66 squad left now.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I would love nothing more Jade,a great idea and I know I could arrange this, and I would be very pleased to do so.

If anyone would like to suggest something, maybe a floral tribute to Ron on behalf of Molineuxmix, then I can arrange for it to be laid in a suitable place at the ground.
Thanks @PumpKing knew you was the man for the job. Someone who gave so much to our club deserves our respect and to be given a fitting tribute. I’ll have a think today and get back to you but yeah if anyone else can come up with something that’s awesome. I like the Flowers for Flowers.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would have been a fitting tribute for Southgate to have put the current Wolves captain on for the last 15 minutes last night.

Shame it didn’t happen.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my first Wolves heroes.
Bought his book 'For Wolves and England' ,
when it was originally published.
A true legend.
Very sad news indeed.
R.I.P. Ron.
Always remember one of the photos in the book, showed Ron on a golf course, which must have been just over his rear garden fence, where his wife is passing a mug of tea to him.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to the Daily Mail and the i paper today for both having good sized tribute articles on Ron Flowers.

With the great man's passing the era of every city or fair sized town having a sports shop being owned and run by an ex professional sportsman must be about to became something that will be in the past very shortly.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Well done to the Daily Mail and the i paper today for both having good sized tribute articles on Ron Flowers.

With the great man's passing the era of every city or fair sized town having a sports shop being owned and run by an ex professional sportsman must be about to became something that will be in the past very shortly.
I remember going to Ted Macdougall’s sports shop in Bournemouth in 1976 .He served me and my mate and we both bought an orange Adidas top with black stripes .The quality was superb and I kept mine for years .Eventually it got packed away and forgotten about .I found it again a few years back and it had (ahem) miraculously shrunk

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would have been a fitting tribute for Southgate to have put the current Wolves captain on for the last 15 minutes last night.

Shame it didn’t happen.
Southgate doesn't do "sentimental", even when his robots are 5 up against total dross like Albania.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminiscing about Ron and his sports shop on Queens Street, did Jimmy Mullen also have a sports shop on Oxford Street, just on the south side of Bilston Town centre, across the road from the Oak and Ivy, or did I imagine that?

stoke wanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Reminiscing about Ron and his sports shop on Queens Street, did Jimmy Mullen also have a sports shop on Oxford Street, just on the south side of Bilston Town centre, across the road from the Oak and Ivy, or did I imagine that?
Jimmy mullen had a shop in broad street wolverhampton,not sure if he had any others though?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bert Williams had a training centre in Bilston I believe

Bilston paul

Groupie
Reaction score
It was Bert Williams who had the shop in the bilston area of the city.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimmy mullen had a shop in broad street wolverhampton,not sure if he had any others though?
Thanks. My imagination running wild back then or memory fading. Either way, both Ron and Jimmy, old gold legends of the very finest vintage. RIP both.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just read a Dave Edwards article in the Express and Star where he talks about Mick Mcarthy and how he is far too good to be out of football for long. Many paragraphs long.

At the end of the article there are a couple of paragraphs about Ron and his final sentence states ‘Wolves were very lucky to have him spend his career here’.

To be honest those final words disappoint me. We were not lucky, we were blessed to have Ron Flowers play for our great club, considering the number of games he played and the deserved recognition the great man received playing for a club obviously close to his heart.

Maybe I am being a bit picky, but choose your words a bit more carefully please Dave, especially for one of our true greats!

Reactions: Ian

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just read a Dave Edwards article in the Express and Star where he talks about Mick Mcarthy and how he is far too good to be out of football for long. Many paragraphs long.

At the end of the article there are a couple of paragraphs about Ron and his final sentence states ‘Wolves were very lucky to have him spend his career here’.

To be honest those final words disappoint me. We were not lucky, we were blessed to have Ron Flowers play for our great club, considering the number of games he played and the deserved recognition the great man received playing for a club obviously close to his heart.

Maybe I am being a bit picky, but choose your words a bit more carefully please Dave, especially for one of our true greats!
Yes, you are being picky. 'Blessed' or 'lucky' -- please explain the difference

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, you are being picky. 'Blessed' or 'lucky' -- please explain the difference
To me, lucky means winning the lottery. You have a one in ten million (or more) chance of winning. We were not ‘lucky‘ with Ron Flowers.

To me, blessed means it was always meant to be. We were ‘blessed’ with
Ron Flowers. No luck involved.

Hope that explains the difference. No dictionary involved, just my opinion about a great man and football player.

Back
Top Bottom