Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ron Flowers RIP

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, lucky means winning the lottery. You have a one in ten million (or more) chance of winning. We were not ‘lucky‘ with Ron Flowers.

To me, blessed means it was always meant to be. We were ‘blessed’ with
Ron Flowers. No luck involved.

Hope that explains the difference. No dictionary involved, just my opinion about a great man and football player.
A great club too. He was obviously happy to be and to stay here.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, lucky means winning the lottery. You have a one in ten million (or more) chance of winning. We were not ‘lucky‘ with Ron Flowers.

Hope that explains the difference. No dictionary involved, just my opinion about a great man and football player.
'Lucky' just means things went your way, when they might not have -- like many things in life. In Duncan Edwards' case we were 'unlucky' as he ended up at Man U when might have come to us if things had worked out differently. In the case of the Doog, we 'got lucky' because we took a risk signing him but it paid off. Same with Ron, signed as a 17 year old, a bit of a gamble, and it paid off. May have been luck, may have been Mark Crook's good judgement

But 'blessed' ? WTF? Who was it who did the blessing, God?

Ron turned out to be a great player and we were lucky/ fortunate to have him. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think Jimmy Mullen had a sports shop in Broad St Wolverhampton.
He did .His Manager was John Slyde who ran Penn OB for years .When I was at Grammar School I had some friends who lived in York Gardens and I used to go to their house and play football in their garden .The one day the ball ended up in the garden behind so we went round to ask for the ball back .The owner in York Avenue answered the door and it was Jimmy Mullen who invited us in and we had an impromptu kick about in his back garden with the ball.He was a lovely man.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The owner in York Avenue answered the door and it was Jimmy Mullen who invited us in and we had an impromptu kick about in his back garden with the ball.He was a lovely man.
Lovely memories for you, Jonzy.

I hope you had jumpers for goalposts.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
'Lucky' just means things went your way, when they might not have -- like many things in life. In Duncan Edwards' case we were 'unlucky' as he ended up at Man U when might have come to us if things had worked out differently. In the case of the Doog, we 'got lucky' because we took a risk signing him but it paid off. Same with Ron, signed as a 17 year old, a bit of a gamble, and it paid off. May have been luck, may have been Mark Crook's good judgement

But 'blessed' ? WTF? Who was it who did the blessing, God?

Ron turned out to be a great player and we were lucky/ fortunate to have him. What's wrong with that?
We were lucky to have Mark Crook running Wath Wanderers at the time

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No luck?…..really? We were lucky that he didn’t hate football….or that as a child he didn’t emigrate to Australia….or wreck his knee in a car accident or that he didn’t chose a different career……and very, very lucky that Wolves spotted him.

I think the writer meant lucky as in fortunate. Blessed is a very ‘interesting’ choice of words, imo.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just read a Dave Edwards article in the Express and Star where he talks about Mick Mcarthy and how he is far too good to be out of football for long. Many paragraphs long.

At the end of the article there are a couple of paragraphs about Ron and his final sentence states ‘Wolves were very lucky to have him spend his career here’.

To be honest those final words disappoint me. We were not lucky, we were blessed to have Ron Flowers play for our great club, considering the number of games he played and the deserved recognition the great man received playing for a club obviously close to his heart.

Maybe I am being a bit picky, but choose your words a bit more carefully please Dave, especially for one of our true greats!
Like we're some poor man's whore! Problem is he, like most footballing folk today, have no appreciation of how big we were back then. Players saw it as a privilege to don the old gold, even into the early 1980s. Then it all went south, literally in my case! More like Dave Edwards was lucky to play for a club like Wolves and is not worthy to even lace the boots of Ron Flowers and those great players of yesteryear!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like we're some poor man's whore! Problem is he, like most footballing folk today, have no appreciation of how big we were back then. Players saw it as a privilege to don the old gold, even into the early 1980s. Then it all went south, literally in my case! More like Dave Edwards was lucky to play for a club like Wolves and is not worthy to even lace the boots of Ron Flowers and those great players of yesteryear!
Well said Incognito.

At least you understand my point, unlike one or two others who seem to have an issue with what I said.

I will say it again, we were not lucky to have Ron Flowers, we were blessed. Great man, great player, playing for a great club!

I rest my case.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said Incognito.

At least you understand my point, unlike one or two others who seem to have an issue with what I said.

I will say it again, we were not lucky to have Ron Flowers, we were blessed. Great man, great player, playing for a great club!

I rest my case.
Glad you rest your case because you haven't got one. Blessed / lucky/ fortunate are words which are interchangeable. A fuss about nothing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A thread about the sad passing of Ron Flowers and people have managed to slag off Dave Edwards.

Absolutely incredible.
His wording was, at best, careless.

Dave Edwards was symptomatic of our weaknesses during his era. He wouldn't have got into probably any other PL team let alone been a regular starter and should have been upgraded years before he left. People talk about his loyalty but did any other team actually want him? If so, Jizz would have sold without a second thought.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dave Edwards was symptomatic of our weaknesses during his era. He wouldn't have got into probably any other PL team let alone been a regular starter and should have been upgraded years before he left. People talk about his loyalty but did any other team actually want him? If so, Jizz would have sold without a second thought.
So now a third poster is digging out Dave Edwards on the Ron Flowers thread. Absolutely bizarre.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you rest your case because you haven't got one. Blessed / lucky/ fortunate are words which are interchangeable. A fuss about nothing.

Thank you.

You have your opinion and I have mine. That’s what a forum is all about.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was trawling through last Saturday's Yorkshire Post and in the editorial section they had this really nice piece on Ron Flowers:

A FOOTBALL GIFT
FROM THE MINES TO MOLINEUX
Ron Flowers will always be synonymous with Wolverhampton Wanderers, where he enjoyed prolific success, but he should also be remembered as one of Yorkshire's greatest football sons following his death at the age of 87.
Gifted enough to be a member of England's 1966 World Cup-winning squad, he grew up in the coal mining village of Edlington and owed his football prowess to a special pair of boots gifted to him by his parents on Christmas Day in 1939 after they had put money aside each week.
The young player also saw football as a way to escape a lifetime's toil as a coal miner - his father worked underground - and enable him to follow his Uncle George who played for Doncaster Rovers.
Yet, despite such success for club and country, he never lost touch with his working class roots and it speaks volumes of his his character that he regarded his Christmas gift of 1939 as 'one of the proudest moments of my life'.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No wonder Deadly Dave waxes lyrical about McCarthy..... he owes most of his career to him, which isnt a great endorsement of Mick.

Back
Top Bottom