Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ron Flowers RIP

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ron was a giant in a team of giants as I grew up in awe of the mighty Wolves. RIp Ron

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
Truly saddened by this. Reminded me of my first visit to Molineux when my Dad took me in 1966 and Ron Flowers was the first Wolves Captain I ever saw. Fly high Ron Flowers - have a kickabout with Frank, Doog & Waggy please xx

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Wolves legend, a Wolverhampton legend, but also a legend of the game, rest easy Ron.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Way before my time but most of us are well aware of the amazing achievements and levels of the team of that era - when we had a proper top side and Ron Flowers was a key figure in all of that.

Looking through the picture montage on the Wolves site has given me goosebumps and a little taste of those wonderful days in our clubs history. A true Wolves great who will be sadly missed.

kinyo298

Reaction score
If confirmed, it is very saddening and means both a local legend another member of the 66 squad has left us. His engagement with the city through the Sports shop has created a brilliant legacy, and therefore full thoughts go to the Flowers family.

However - placing what is currently a rumour on a forum without official confirmation by any party - is beyond insensitive and will rightfully cause further upset and deep anger.

Please be very careful, of what you put on here!
If it was a rumour i would have stated RUMOUR when i posted the thread.If you read the title again it doesnt mention rumour.No insensitivity on my part as i recieved the news from a family member. I accept your apology and be careful what you put on here!

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never saw him regrettably, RIP Ron.
I never saw him play but if I remember correctly when I was a youngster in the late 60's early 70's I used to catch the 60 bus from Queen Street outside the Express & Star offices and I think his sports shop was over the road from the bus stop. Might have even bought some footie boots and my Sammy Chung Tracksuit in there remembering when Alan Ball white football boots were all the rage. RIP Ron.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Sad, sad news, I think over the years many Wolves fans will have come to know Ron, particularly through his shop, was a gent and a great man. RIP Ron

OldBrightonWolf

Reaction score
I'm another who saw Ron playing at my 1st game, a 4-7 defeat away at Spurs in 65 for me, my dad took me from Eastbourne. RIP to a hero of my boyhood.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to see him at Wolves, and also as player-manager at Telford. Ron and Peter Broadbent will probably always be my best-ever central midfield partnership for Wolves.

An international class centre back.

An international class midfielder.

And, most importantly, an international class person.

RIP Ron.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For anybody who wants to look back at Ron's career, the club have put up a montage of photos on the official site covering it, both for Wolves and England. Some great photos in there, including one (I think) of his debut for England v France in Paris, and a couple from the 1962 World Cup in Chile. A good one of what looks like a golfing weekend for the England oldies which includes Bobby and Jack Charlton, Gordon Banks, Geoff Hurst, Nobby Stiles, Roger Hunt and one or two others I can't place.

Torbay Wolf

Reaction score
Never saw Ron play, but I remember buying my first Wolves tracksuit from him at his Queen Street Shop. I was about eight years old and went into town with my Dad.

I can still remember the awe in my Dads face as we were served by Ron himself. Dad grew up in the 50's and must have watched a young Ron play many times at the Mol.

Rest In Peace Ron. You were a true gentleman.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in my late 60's, so was a youngster when I watched Ron play. A real legend of our club. Good looking fella and great footballer. RIP Ron.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
played in the first back 4 for England with Peter Swan
Peter Swan, the England international who got done for accepting bribes to throw games! That scandal seems a long time ago now. It proved that the English game in the 60s wasn't whiter than white

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Way before my time but clearly an absolute legend. As a young kid I went into his shop for boots, but unfortunately I can’t remember much about that. I hope England and Wolves pay a proper tribute to him.

RIP and my thoughts are with his family.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Had the honour of meeting him at his shop in town. Absolute gentleman, and a reminder of the great history of our great club. Rest well Mr Flowers

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, he was a wing-half / half-back up until about 1964. Then he became a centre-half and wore the No 5 shirt
Correct, BSK.

At Telford (Wellington Town when Ron was there IIRC) he was still fit enough to play the defensive midfield role, as well as playing centre back.

Even as a diehard Wolves supporter with some memories of Ron playing for us, I think in some ways my favourite recollections were watching him at Telford's old Bucks Head ground, if only because we were so close to the pitch we could almost smell his quality.

There, my abiding memory is watching him only a few yards away striding through midfield with astonishing power - and astonishing grace. The opponents simply couldn't live with him (and he was streets ahead of the Telford lads as well!). He let a shot go from maybe 25 yards out, and I swear that the crossbar would still be shaking today if the club hadn't literally moved the goalposts when relocating the pitch for the newly built ground.

Mind you, at the Bucks Head, when we talked about him it was invariably "ex-Wolves Ron Flowers". And we were still in awe watching him.

He will continue to live in our memories, eh?

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
Rest in peace Ron. A great footballer. And a real gentleman. Condolences to family and friends

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Great skill, great strength and a great gentleman.
Wonderful memories.
RIP Ron, you'll never be forgotten

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose we all knew it would happen sooner or later. I was in the pub at lunchtime when someone told me and it was still a hell of a shock. He was my first boyhood Wolves hero and I remember having a cigarette card of him with that distinctive blond hair. A very sad day, and it really does feel like the end of an era. Good to hear so many other people in the pub speaking highly if him despite the fact that they supported other teams.
RIP Ron. A true Wolves legend.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As supporters we should mark this, such a significant player deserves something permanent but would be nice if we laid some flowers? Maybe at the Mol or the shop, whats everyone think? Where's best?
I'm sending flowers to the club, as I've done in the past when special players, like Doog, Billy, Waggy, etc. passed away.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ron must have been heartbroken by the fall from grace of Wolves, from being a power-house in the 50s to relegation in the mid 60s. Amazing that despite Wolves struggling during the mid 60s, Ron still made the 66 World Cup squad, a testament to what a fine player he must have been.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom