Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ron Flowers RIP

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely gutted to hear about Ron.

One of our very best.

Absolute gentleman and legend.

RIP Ron with sincere condolences to family and friends.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is very sad news. RIP Ron, a true Wolverhampton great.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too young to remember his playing career but always remember what a nice fella he was in his shop. RIP Ron.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I wonder there hasn’t been an official announcement is to allow the family some space and to make arrangements before the club put something out

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
RIP Ron. A true Wolves legend never forgotten, a boyhood hero watching Wolves in the mid-sixties.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If confirmed, it is very saddening and means both a local legend another member of the 66 squad has left us. His engagement with the city through the Sports shop has created a brilliant legacy, and therefore full thoughts go to the Flowers family.

However - placing what is currently a rumour on a forum without official confirmation by any party - is beyond insensitive and will rightfully cause further upset and deep anger.

Please be very careful, of what you put on here!

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Dad’s favourite player. A real Wolves legend.

Rest In Peace Mr Flowers.

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
As supporters we should mark this, such a significant player deserves something permanent but would be nice if we laid some flowers? Maybe at the Mol or the shop, whats everyone think? Where's best?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my best mates father died recently and he was big mates with ron. The whole family was close. He was a great player and a great guy. Rip

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Such a sad loss of a genuine Wolves legend and a truly great man

RIP Ron, and thoughts go out to your family

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Ron, sad for yur family, friends and all WW fans. Genuinely a true legend and one of my favourites back in the day, did a wonderful job for us and England and will always be remembered for being an all-time great.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope the club will be marking his passing properly at the next home match v W Ham. He wasn't just a member of the greatest team Wolves have ever had, he was the heartbeat of that team, a towering presence in midfield for a dozen years, and a great centre-half for another three. Somehow appropriate that he is the last member of the 1960 FA Cup winning team to pass away.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP Ron. One of the greats from a time when footballers were normal people...he lived a few doors down from my grandparents in Oxley Links back in the day.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing on the official site yet
Now being reported on all sports websites BSK and rightly so.

Its a very, very sad day. Ron was a massive part of our great history and deserves every tribute from football fans across the country.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Ron served his club and country with outstanding distinction and was a fine ambassador for the club in his role as Vice President.
I wonder when the time is right who might replace him in the role? .We have lost some fine club legends and ambassadors in recent times

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd just like to share a particular memory of Ron. As well as being a wonderfully dynamic midfielder and a great tackler, Ron had a hell of a shot on him. A game I particularly remember, and have commented about on here before, was Wolves 9-0 demolition of Fulham on a warm September evening in 1959. We had been beaten by newly-promoted Fulham 1-3 a week earlier at Craven Cottage, and were out for revenge. With 40 minutes gone, and attacking the South Bank, we were already 2-0 up, when the ball broke to Ron just inside the Fulham half. He took a couple of touches and hit a shot from what must have been 40 to 45 yards out. I was standing with my Dad on the North Bank and was positioned directly behind the flight of the ball. Tony Macedo, the Fulham goalie, never even moved as the ball, still rising, hit the back of the top left hand corner of the net. There was an audible in-take of breath before the crowd exploded. A bit like the Neves goal against Derby, but further out and with a lot more power. It was one of the hardest shots I have ever seen. 3-0 and game over... but we showed no mercy and put another 6 past Macedo in the 2nd half. Thanks for the memory, Ron x

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terribly sad news. Ron was a tremendous footballer, and also a wonderful and caring person,

The word legend is often overused, but without any doubt Ron Flowers is a Wolves legend, one of the finest players to wear gold and black.

Rest In Peace Ron.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another one of the greats gone
A bit before my time in terms of me having seen him play but still known as one of the greats

Sad news indeed

RIP

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I first saw him play at Tottenham on10 October 1959. I was in awe of all the big names on the pitch that day. Big Ron was prominent then as he has been since his scoring debut against Blackpool on 20 September 1952. A true Wolves legend and a great loss to so many.

RIP Ron and thanks for being such a big part of our great club.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I first saw him play at Tottenham on10 October 1959. I was in awe of all the big names on the pitch that day. Big Ron was prominent then as he has been since his scoring debut against Blackpool on 20 September 1952. A true Wolves legend and a great loss to so many.

RIP Ron and thanks for being such a big part of our great club.
That Tottenham game... we got beaten 5-1 as I recall. And Jayne Mansfield put in an appearance in the Directors' Box, IIRC!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite my comment earlier before the news was announced by the club: who couldn't love a man, who wonderfully took the mantle of repping our nation from Billy, who was part of the most incredible bunch of men that England has ever seen, who lead our part of the world to its greatest triumphs three times in one decade AND who loved our city that much, that he would open a Sports store whose outreach is simply stellar!

Bravo, Ron, on a simply extraordinary life and a pretty incredible career. YOU are one of our the city's finest ever humans, and all our love goes to your family.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Tottenham game... we got beaten 5-1 as I recall. And Jayne Mansfield put in an appearance in the Directors' Box, IIRC!
That's the one and not long after our 9-0 drubbing of Fulham, which was two days after my 16th birthday. The Jayne Mansfield appearance had a spectacular effect on the crowd. My friend and I travelled up from Lyme Regis to see the game. Quite an adventure for lads of our age at that time.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the one and not long after our 9-0 drubbing of Fulham, which was two days after my 16th birthday. The Jayne Mansfield appearance had a spectacular effect on the crowd. My friend and I travelled up from Lyme Regis to see the game. Quite an adventure for lads of our age at that time.
That Spurs game has stuck in my mind because on the same day I went to watch Wolves Reserves at Molineux with my Dad. We played Barnsley Reserves and beat them 6-0 in the pouring rain. They kept giving us updates on the score at WHT on the old ABC... system. We were standing in the Waterloo Road stand at the front near the press box, and every time the phone rang we knew that was an update on the score in London. We went 1-0 down (groan), then 1-1 (cheer). Then it was downhill all the way in the 2nd half, with many groans! Wolves Reserves had the splendidly-named Les ****er playing for them, I recall.

Back
Top Bottom