Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football in general (non-Wolves)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In other news, Terry Henry 1/7 to become the next Bournemouth manager. Was awful at Monaco, isn't fairing much better at Montreal, surely this is a vanity appointment akin to when Blues brought in Zola?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Terry :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yeah he’s not done brilliantly wouldn’t be impressed if I was a Bournemouth fan

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd think with all the money at stake, clubs would be making ever more rational choices, but the owners or decision makers are still clearly star-struck whenever presented with a top ex player.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
National League North and South cancelled, season void.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd think with all the money at stake, clubs would be making ever more rational choices, but the owners or decision makers are still clearly star-struck whenever presented with a top ex player.
100% and there seems to be some sort of mystique attributed to them. I read somewhere a few weeks ago Dean smith commenting about John Terry becoming a manager, think he was linked to some job or other - and all I could think of is why?

He has been at Villa 4/5 years (?) in a coaching capacity and this is the first year there has seemingly been any benefit to their defence. What exactly did the ex England and Chelsea captain bring - for several years it appeared to be the sum total of **** all.

Persoanlly I think he wasn't very good as a player - could never get it - and certainly for Chelsea lived alongside some other great defenders who bailed out his ball watching - to me he has lived on reputation rather than actions. But I digress.

The point being - why would he be touted for managers jobs? - what is the reason? other than he is JOHN TERRY - ex England and Chelsea captain

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerrard impresses me but not many big names become great managers/ head coaches. There are exceptions such as Guardiola but not a lot.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I work with a Kiddy Harriers fan and he's really disappointed that it's now ended after they got off to a solid start.

Seems weird that they've chosen to end it now, when the levels below ended a few weeks back but I guess all these clubs have their breaking point, it's a shame they couldn't get some assistance to help them get through the season but I guess if curtailing it helps a couple of clubs to stay afloat then it's worth it...probably??
I saw rumblings somewhere that some of the clubs had used the assistance given to strengthen their teams rather than to just keep going and, as lockdown continued, were then actively seeking the end of the season. Always a danger l guess like clubs trying to use parachute payments to get straight back up.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
100% and there seems to be some sort of mystique attributed to them. I read somewhere a few weeks ago Dean smith commenting about John Terry becoming a manager, think he was linked to some job or other - and all I could think of is why?

He has been at Villa 4/5 years (?) in a coaching capacity and this is the first year there has seemingly been any benefit to their defence. What exactly did the ex England and Chelsea captain bring - for several years it appeared to be the sum total of **** all.

Persoanlly I think he wasn't very good as a player - could never get it - and certainly for Chelsea lived alongside some other great defenders who bailed out his ball watching - to me he has lived on reputation rather than actions. But I digress.

The point being - why would he be touted for managers jobs? - what is the reason? other than he is JOHN TERRY - ex England and Chelsea captain
I have to disagree that he wasn’t a good player.In much the same way that Adams was for Arsenal he was a commanding centre back.Yes he had good players alongside him but his main strength was the way he attacked the ball rather than just mark space .That is an attribute we lack in our Central defence.
That said he is a horrible individual.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I work with a Kiddy Harriers fan and he's really disappointed that it's now ended after they got off to a solid start.

Seems weird that they've chosen to end it now, when the levels below ended a few weeks back but I guess all these clubs have their breaking point. It's a shame they couldn't get some assistance to help them get through the season but I suppose if curtailing it helps a couple of clubs to stay afloat then it's worth it...probably??
Have the levels below ended?

I've been keeping an eye out for the WMRL but their last update was the league was suspended and they'll decide next week re continuing etc (dependent on government announcement Monday I presume).

Expect it'll go the same way as Nation League North/South but not been confirmed yet.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to disagree that he wasn’t a good player.In much the same way that Adams was for Arsenal he was a commanding centre back.Yes he had good players alongside him but his main strength was the way he attacked the ball rather than just mark space .That is an attribute we lack in our Central defence.
That said he is a horrible individual.
each to their own mate - Like I said I never saw it.
Very much like Maguire now - I just don't see it, may be just me but I really don't get it. Had a good season or two at Leicester and Man U did their typical throw a bucket load of cash at it - and now he is living on that reputation (oh and being a ball playing centre back - which he isn't)

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Terry was a very good player, but not quite as world class as he's often talked about on Sky. Carvalho was the superior CB in that great Chelsea defense for example.

And if I was running a Championship level club, I certainly wouldn't be picking him as manager - even if he does well, you know he'd be looking for a more glamourous job as soon as it's available, so what's the upside?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In other news, Terry Henry 1/7 to become the next Bournemouth manager. Was awful at Monaco, isn't fairing much better at Montreal, surely this is a vanity appointment akin to when Blues brought in Zola?

What truly concerns me about this appointment is as a subscriber to " Manure / Scouse TV " or Sky Sports if you prefer the other title is that that cheating French git ( that handball v Ireland was every bit as bad as Maradona's in 1986 ! ) is going to be all over the remaining 10 minutes in every hour that is left on " Sly Sports News " ( I use the term Sly on purpose as every chance to have a dig at Uncle Jorge is never missed ! ) is going to be about that " massive club " who could not even sell out a 15,000 seat arena in the Premier League !

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
each to their own mate - Like I said I never saw it.
Very much like Maguire now - I just don't see it, may be just me but I really don't get it. Had a good season or two at Leicester and Man U did their typical throw a bucket load of cash at it - and now he is living on that reputation (oh and being a ball playing centre back - which he isn't)
All about opinions but in my view Terry was infinitely better than Maguire

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think Terry was a very good player, but not quite as world class as he's often talked about on Sky. Carvalho was the superior CB in that great Chelsea defense for example.

And if I was running a Championship level club, I certainly wouldn't be picking him as manager - even if he does well, you know he'd be looking for a more glamourous job as soon as it's available, so what's the upside?
Carvalho was excellent but in my view he was the Left Half/Sweeper whereas Terry was a proper Centre Half/Centre Back
All good defensive partnerships need a combination.I find it laughable to see Maguire thinking he is the new Beckenbauer .
If the Euros do take place this Summer he will be dragged all over the place and if he does venture forward he just doesn’t have the pace to get back
England have some excellent attacking players but less so in midfield and unless Southgate comes up with the right combination at the back we could get overrun .And that is before mentioning Pickford .

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree, Paul Cook is available and has had unbridled success as a manager, he would be the logical choice for Bournemouth but he won't get a top job because he isn't a 'name'

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Totally agree, Paul Cook is available and has had unbridled success as a manager, he would be the logical choice for Bournemouth
Why not leave Woodgate in charge until the Summer and then re-evaluate when there will be more options and hopefully less restrictions

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree, Paul Cook is available and has had unbridled success as a manager, he would be the logical choice for Bournemouth but he won't get a top job because he isn't a 'name'
Will end in farce as usual. Meanwhile Cook will remain on a list of achieving but unemployed managers who do a good/great job quietly but allegedly lack star quality viz the new manager at Shrewsbury who was unemployed for ages.

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
cookie favourite for the brizzle job where keith downing and paul simpson are joint caretakers

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I've been keeping an eye out for the WMRL but their last update was the league was suspended and they'll decide next week re continuing etc (dependent on government announcement Monday I presume).

Expect it'll go the same way as Nation League North/South but not been confirmed yet.
not yet.... they were looking to re-start but probably all scuppered now by what's happened in the NLN & S..... most of the teams in the South voted to continue so they've been well & truly shafted.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thought they had but obviously got my news all mixed up! As you and Surrey say though, with yesterday's news it's bound to follow suit

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who are you guys rooting for to win the Champions League this year? Personally I would like to see either Bayern Munich or Porto win.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jose Mourinho: Spurs have problems 'I cannot resolve myself' but are not in crisis​

The two-time Champions League winner has been criticised by some Spurs fans for a perceived negative approach to games but, asked whether Tottenham's slump was related to his style of management, Mourinho replied: "No, not at all. Mine and my coaching staff's methods are second to nobody in the world.

It’s never his fault, is it. Lol

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What should our World cup/Euros 11 look like?

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Planning permission for Everton's new ground given by Liverpool City Council.

Another proper ground going.

Ground to be built on Bramley Moore docks north side of the city centre.

Seen mock ups looks like most new grounds on the inside, on the outside its literally alongside the Mersey, if anyone's been to the Echo Arena best way I can think of its positioning is its like that just obviously bigger (but still pretty much 1 direction in/out) but further north.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton's Bramley-Moore Dock stadium approved by council

when are we going to see upgrades to the stadium? To be fair probably should have been done during the covid period as there are no fans in the stadium
The upgrades to the Steve Bull and the building of the new temporary stand were all ready to go ahead last summer, all confirmed just before Covid hit.

I too would have thought they would have just cracked on with them while we've had no fans (surely means less of a rush etc) but maybe it was the uncertainty, now there's a little more certainty you'd like to think this summer or even now.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton's Bramley-Moore Dock stadium approved by council

when are we going to see upgrades to the stadium? To be fair probably should have been done during the covid period as there are no fans in the stadium

Going over old ground probably, but with no expectation of when we'll be allowed into the ground (at the time) and the diminished revenue streams didn't seem like it was a good idea. I'm 50 50 on whether or not we should have done it. Can see both arguments.

Out of curiosity, have they moved forward with extra seats in the corner? Probably wrong thread for it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting article regarding bringing a club up....

Tottenham Hotspur: Daniel Levy prepares to celebrate 20 years as Tottenham's chairman​

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have a spare 20 minutes this video by Tifo is worth a watch.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Does anyone actually think this is a good idea? A major tournament every summer.

Pretty much every comment below it disagrees with the idea. How out of touch with fans can you be? What the **** is wrong with these people?
I’m all for it however it should be done in the following way - and equivalent for euros

211 FIFA registered nations

round 1
Teams ranked 1-45 given byes
166 matches - Teams Ranked 46 - 211 play each other, with 83 progressing to next round

Round 2
128 matches - teams ranked 1-45 play winners of round 1, with 64 progressing

round 3
64 matches - 32 progressing

round 4
16 matches - 8 progressing

QF - 4 matches, 4 progressing
SF - 2 progressing
Final

rules of tournament
  • no draws/ballots to be made. All teams will compete on basis of rank. Highest ranked team remains in tournament to play lowest ranked team remaining in tournament. So in round one, 211 vs 46, 210 vs 47 and so on. In round two, 1 will played highest remaining ranked team
  • all games in each to be played on same day, with 3 days between rounds. For earlier rounds 4 matches per stadium per day. Morning, lunchtime, afternoon, evening, kick offs. Kick off time to be decided by penalty shootout of team ‘Kitman’
  • all games shall be completed. Extra time will be played.
  • extra time will consist of; 15 mins normal rules. If no winner moves to15 mins ‘multiball’, 2 balls in play, no offside and mandatory ‘rush back‘ goalies
  • if still no winner - penalty shootout, normal rules 5 each then sudden death.
  • previously subbed players will of course be allowed to come back on to take penalties as per current rules.
  • in normal play teams can have dedicated penalty takers. Temporary sub to take penalty (much like NFL kicker), replaced at next stoppage in play.
  • goals scored from outside of 30 yards, to be awarded 2 goals (see 3 point line in basketball for reference)

All done and dusted in 7 rounds, 24 days and we have a world champion.
No qualifiers needed, no pointless games against stupid ‘Sunday league’ level federations (SFA for example)
1616233005155.gifL

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m all for it however it should be done in the following way - and equivalent for euros

round 1
166 matches - Teams Ranked 46 - 211 play each other, with 83 progressing to next round

Round 2

round 3

round 4

SF - 2 progressing
Final

rules of tournament
  • no draws/ballots to be made. All teams will compete on basis of rank. Highest ranked team remains in tournament to play lowest ranked team remaining in tournament. So in round one, 211 vs 46, 210 vs 47 and so on. In round two, 1 will played highest remaining ranked team
  • all games in each to be played on same day, with 3 days between rounds. For earlier rounds 4 matches per stadium per day. Morning, lunchtime, afternoon, evening, kick offs. Kick off time to be decided by penalty shootout of team ‘Kitman’
  • extra time will consist of; 15 mins normal rules. If no winner moves to15 mins ‘multiball’, 2 balls in play, no offside and mandatory ‘rush back‘ goalies
  • previously subbed players will of course be allowed to come back on to take penalties as per current rules.
  • in normal play teams can have dedicated penalty takers. Temporary sub to take penalty (much like NFL kicker), replaced at next stoppage in play.
  • goals scored from outside of 30 yards, to be awarded 2 goals (see 3 point line in basketball for reference)

No qualifiers needed, no pointless games against stupid ‘Sunday league’ level federations (SFA for example)
View attachment 20495L
I'm sure that you would be open to applying the same system, biased towards keeping the best g teams that way, to European club competitions too.....

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

round 1

Round 2

round 3

round 4

SF - 2 progressing
Final

rules of tournament

View attachment 20495L
What about the Swiss system?

211 teams in one group, each team plays 60 games based on a draw system (warm balls are used to the benefit of bigger nations).

Top 64 go through, next 128 play each other in a qualifier. 64 winners of those play the top 64.

Then knockout football from there on in, now rounds draws are based on a ranking system. If any higher ranked team loses to a lower ranked team they go in to a reserve pot.

Once you get to the final 8, the biggest 4 teams in the reserve pot get to play off against the lowest ranked 4 of the final 8. They play games on repeat until the top ranked team wins.

We then play a final 8 with 8 top ranked nations (because who wants to watch the **** ones, am I right?).

Due to the number of games to be played extend the tournament to 3 months in length but to keep the biggest club teams happy allow them to play preseason tournaments alongside the competition where by clubs players travel to and from the international tournament playing games for club and country simultaneously every day.

Only the special clubs are allowed preseasons though, clubs who aren’t deemed important by FIFA can get ****ed and will see their players as and when they get knocked out.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I was a kid, and lived and breathed football, I would have loved an international tournament every summer. Now, not so much. The transparent money-whoring of giving the WC to Qatar and shifting it to winter was sickening, and I wasn't overly disappointed that the Euros were cancelled last year. Hate the more, more, more culture, with expanding to 48 teams and whatever.

Then again, I found myself massively enjoying the women's World Cup, so the tournament bug is still there in me somewhere.

Personally I think the Euros are outdated anyway. In a post-Covid world I'd be behind the idea of getting rid, and having a straight World Cup every two years in the classic format: 32 teams, 8 groups with 2 qualifying, then knockouts.

Back
Top Bottom