Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodge is going to be a regular for us, really decent footballer

When you look at young players it's always hard to know which ones are going to be world beaters, journeyman lower league players, or who simply fades out of the professional game.

It could be character, a bad injury, or just bad luck with a particular coach. But we have some outstanding prospects - and Joe Hodge looks to be one of them.

I can remember one pre-season friendly at Hednesford and I was right behind the goal and I was watching Stephen Gleeson when he was consided one of our top youth prospects and I can remember thinking just how determined and just how much quality he showed on the ball. I really did think he was going to be a superstar for us - but it wasn't to be, still he played over 300 league games.

The point I am making is the likes of Cundle, Hodge, Bueno and a few others clearly are going to have good careers - it's just hard to say at what level.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the record Joe is one of the most decorated academy players of all time (wining every cup and league competition available across 2 age groups plus the youth cup). He has never let the club down on and off the pitch and has always given 100% . He’s had a few injury setbacks and whilst he had an offer to extend his contract He is grateful to City for sanctioning this move which he feels will provide a great opportunity going forwards.

City wanted to keep him.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When you look at young players it's always hard to know which ones are going to be world beaters, journeyman lower league players, or who simply fades out of the professional game.

It could be character, a bad injury, or just bad luck with a particular coach. But we have some outstanding prospects - and Joe Hodge looks to be one of them.

I can remember one pre-season friendly at Hednesford and I was right behind the goal and I was watching Stephen Gleeson when he was consided one of our top youth prospects and I can remember thinking just how determined and just how much quality he showed on the ball. I really did think he was going to be a superstar for us - but it wasn't to be, still he played over 300 league games.

The point I am making is the likes of Cundle, Hodge, Bueno and a few others clearly are going to have good careers - it's just hard to say at what level.
Think that's a really interesting point, Cannock. You watch non-league football and you'll occasionally see a player with all the skill in the world but who, for whatever reason, simply didn't make it. Then you see other players - Coady would be a good example for me - who've made the very most of the talent they have.
As you say, fascinating to see which of Cundle, Hodge, Bueno, Campbell, Lembikisa has the best career. Cundle is in the lead now but I'm not sure I'd bet on him staying there...

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Joe Hodge is ready to join the first Team group at the very least a loan spell to a Championship Team. We have some very good prospects in our youth Teams it will be interesting to watch how they develop.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow! Well done Joe to put your faith in us,
I know it’s heresy but well done to Sellars and the team. One to take a risk when he was injured but to also persuade him and Griffiths to come here from City particularly when Hodge was rated. No easy task because City do give youngsters first team opportunities.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're in a group with FC Union Berlin, Olympiacos & St Gallen. Other teams in the competition are Sturm Graz, Odense, FC Altstatten & Club America

Games are 2 halves of 20mins long and we play FC Union Berlin first up tomorrow at 11:45am, Olympiacos at 3:15pm & St Gallen at 6pm

Wolves drew their first game vs Union Berlin, 1-1. We went behind after 5mins, however a goal from Oli Tipton after 33 mins drew us level.

Up next is current group leaders Olympiacos, who won their first group game 2-1

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves drew their first game vs Union Berlin, 1-1. We went behind after 5mins, however a goal from Oli Tipton after 33 mins drew us level.

Up next is current group leaders Olympiacos, who won their first group game 2-1

Wolves won their second game (against Olympiacos), 3-0 - Oli Tipton is on fire as he scored 2 (3 in two games) and Tyler Roberts got the other, all before half time.

Wolves now sit top of the group on GD and need a point from their final game vs bottom of the group, St Gallen in order to progress to the semi finals

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves won their second game (against Olympiacos), 3-0 - Oli Tipton is on fire as he scored 2 (3 in two games) and Tyler Roberts got the other, all before half time.

Wolves now sit top of the group on GD and need a point from their final game vs bottom of the group, St Gallen in order to progress to the semi finals
Where are you getting your info from giant?

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where are you getting your info from giant?

Was just wondering that as theres nothing on Twitter

I could pretend to be a billy big balls at this point and say I have sources, but I've always been quite clear on this (and the loan thread) I have no contacts - I just put the effort in to research!

this website is the tournament website and has a ticker with score updates

Wolves are allowed an 18 man squad and so far I'm aware of:

Dexter Lembikisa
Aaron Keto-Diyawa
Owen Farmer
Harry Birtwhistle
Tyler Roberts
Nathan Fraser
Harvey Griffiths
Ethan McCleod
Kam Kandola
Oli Tipton
Christian Marques

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I could pretend to be a billy big balls at this point and say I have sources, but I've always been quite clear on this (and the loan thread) I have no contacts - I just put the effort in to research!

Dexter Lembikisa
Aaron Keto-Diyawa
Owen Farmer
Harry Birtwhistle
Tyler Roberts
Nathan Fraser
Harvey Griffiths
Ethan McCleod
Kam Kandola
Oli Tipton
Thanks

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that's a really interesting point, Cannock. You watch non-league football and you'll occasionally see a player with all the skill in the world but who, for whatever reason, simply didn't make it. Then you see other players - Coady would be a good example for me - who've made the very most of the talent they have.
As you say, fascinating to see which of Cundle, Hodge, Bueno, Campbell, Lembikisa has the best career. Cundle is in the lead now but I'm not sure I'd bet on him staying there...

It is really interesting, I understand what you mean about Cundle. It is clear he is a talented lad and too good for u23's, but the other night against Stoke he scored two but I thought Hodge was the player I kept watching, he is such a quality player. If he doesn't make it as a Premier League player in the future I am at a complete loss to see why - unless it's injury or something.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dexter Lembikisa
Aaron Keto-Diyawa
Owen Farmer
Harry Birtwhistle
Tyler Roberts
Nathan Fraser
Harvey Griffiths
Ethan McCleod
Kam Kandola
Oli Tipton

That's impressive researching!

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Joe Hodge is ready to join the first Team group at the very least a loan spell to a Championship Team. We have some very good prospects in our youth Teams it will be interesting to watch how they develop.
Comparing him to taylor perry who did reasonably well at cheltenham, i would give hodge a try at championship level.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves’ third group game ended with a 1-0 win over bottom of the group St Gallen. That means Wolves have qualified for the semi final and will play either Odense (if we finish top) or Club America (if we finish second) in the semis

Christian Marques with the Wolves goal.

Excellent to hear us doing well in this. Cheers for the updates, giant.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves’ third group game ended with a 1-0 win over bottom of the group St Gallen. That means Wolves have qualified for the semi final and will play either Odense (if we finish top) or Club America (if we finish second) in the semis

Christian Marques with the Wolves goal.
We will play Odense tomorrow in the semi’s as we finish top of the group.

Winner of that semi will play Club America or Olympiacos in the final.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semi Finals and Final are 2x25 mins.

Unfortunately we lost 1-0 to Odense so will play Olympiacos from our group in the 3rd/4th place playoff

Club America beat Olympiacos on pens and will face Odense in the final

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semi Finals and Final are 2x25 mins.

Unfortunately we lost 1-0 to Odense so will play Olympiacos from our group in the 3rd/4th place playoff

Club America beat Olympiacos on pens and will face Odense in the final

We drew 0-0 with Olympiacos in the 3rd/4th place off, however won the penalty shootout 3-1, so officially finished the tournament in 3rd place.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a couple of names down as being in our youth set up but I think they have left, Ryan Jarvis and Adam Thompson, any ideas guys?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a couple of names down as being in our youth set up but I think they have left, Ryan Jarvis and Adam Thompson, any ideas guys?
No knowledge about Ryan Jarvis, but I wonder are you confusing Adam Thompson with a Callum Thompson who returned to Ireland some time ago and is no longer on the clubs books.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No knowledge about Ryan Jarvis, but I wonder are you confusing Adam Thompson with a Callum Thompson who returned to Ireland some time ago and is no longer on the clubs books.
Don't think so, my lad went to school with Adam, who was on wolves books last I heard, but not heard anything lately, would be about 19 or 20 now

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nathan Fraser and James Storer called up for Ireland U19.

Nathan Fraser starts and James Storer is on the bench as Ireland u19s take on Iceland in Spain

Currently 1-0 to Ireland

Back
Top Bottom