Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Akpom has done nothing for years and he's 28 in October. He's a bit gangly as well. Gyokeres is the only striker we should be looking at from the Championship, he fits the profile of exactly what we need. For his size he has the pace and power to make that transition with ease.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gyokeres is reasonably quick and can use both feet to shoot. Good control , gets in the box. Can he go up a level or is he a vydra?
Don't think he's anything like Vydra. Taller and much stronger. Poacher vs. a proper centre forward.

Worth remembering Gyokeres has 21 goals and 10 assists in a Coventry side that haven't spent a penny this season. They sold their best defender to Blackburn in the summer (who went on to win POTY for Blackburn ahead of Diaz).

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope we are looking at becoming big players in the South American market. Brilliant value and it has worked an absolute treat for Brighton.

I wish we'd look at the French league more as well, there's so much value there. An awful lot of talented young players, from a league far more similar to ours than the Iberian ones, and from a culture where it's much easier to acclimatise. Rennes, for example, have a handful of players under 21 from a fabulous academy who could easily end up at massive clubs but who could be open to a progressive PL team like us right now.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see the following leaving:

Neves
Moutinho
RAN
Traore
Jiminez
Costa
Jonny
Collins
Podence
Hwang
Plus all the loanees including silva
Possibly Sa

JL has undertaken a full rebuild before so despite this being a huge churn it might happen. Maybe he keeps moutinho for one more year

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched Gyokeres today who came alive in the 2nd half with quick feet, good hold-up play & the sbolity to dlalom through defenders in the area
Better than what we got..

Instead of going for unproven players from Almeria I’d try get Gyokeres & Joel Piroe

They know where the net is could get both for under 35m not bad business considering we spunked £36m on Fabio who I reckon will leave

Xavi Simons looks a player take him and give them Fabio??

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever your thoughts on the state of the current squad, when you put things down on paper like this you realise just how big a task the club has this summer. Lots of players with very uncertain futures and big improvements needed.

Players I’m fairly sure will be in next seasons squad: Bentley, Dawson, Kilman, Toti, Bueno, Gomes, B Traore, Lemina, Sarabia, Cunha, Sasa, Chiquinho (12 - 2 coming back from serious injury).

Players I expect to go: Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Jonny, Traore, Costa, Guedes (7)

Players I’m less sure on and who could quite easily be loaned out or sold. It is likely of course that some will be kept - Silva, Cundle, Giles, Sanderson, Hodge, Corbeanu, Campbell, Sa, Semedo, Collins, Ait Nouri, Mosquera, Nunes, Hwang, Podence, Neto (16).

Total guesswork, but I imagine most of the young lads will be back out on loan next season (along perhaps even with Collins)? Taking a punt maybe Ait Nouri, Podence, Nunes, Mosquera and Sanderson to be sold? Sa, Semedo, Hwang and Neto to still be with us?

I’d probably expect 5/6 signings to come in, so be interesting to see what money is available, or what cash can be generated. We really need to add some quality.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Depends on what Lopetegui wants, NWW. He likes to work with a decent sized squad and we will need it for a long hard season and the nine sub rule.
I remember earlier in the season when our bench was so bereft of quality and players who could come and have an impact .Yes the options have improved but the overall quality to come on and have an impact to change games hasn’t .Player mindset is also an issue in that if we can get ahead at home we have done well and usually gone on to win but away from home being passive and hoping to get something and then falling behind but then failing to react has happened too often for my liking and needs to change .

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players I’m fairly sure will be in next seasons squad: Bentley, Dawson, Kilman, Toti, Bueno, Gomes, B Traore, Lemina, Sarabia, Cunha, Sasa, Chiquinho (12 - 2 coming back from serious injury).

Players I expect to go: Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Jonny, Traore, Costa, Guedes and Neves (8)

Players I’m less sure on and who could quite easily be loaned out or sold. It is likely of course that some will be kept - Silva, Cundle, Giles, Sanderson, Hodge, Corbeanu, Campbell, Sa, Semedo, Collins, Ait Nouri, Mosquera, Nunes, Hwang, Podence, Neto (16).

Total guesswork, but I imagine most of the young lads will be back out on loan next season (along perhaps even with Collins)? Taking a punt maybe Ait Nouri, Podence, Nunes, Mosquera and Sanderson to be sold? Sa, Semedo, Hwang and Neto to still be with us?

I’d probably expect 5/6 signings to come in, so be interesting to see what money is available, or what cash can be generated. We really need to add some quality.
Do you think anyone would notice? Would be a great bit of business on the part of Jeff and the boys!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all talk of this mystery striker thats going to make us into a top team but who is it and will we actually go for one?
Really most of the Prem teams dont have one at all
Off the top of my head i can only really think of 5 that are classed as strikers
Wilson,Mitrovic,Toney,Kane and Haaland there may be a few ive missed but none that have scored many this season
So thats 75% of teams that dont have a dedicated striker worth calling one
Im aware we need a focal point playing the system and players we have right now but really wonder if JL is looking at a conventional striker as such
He may very well maybe but just pointing out that strikers are not necessarily the silver bullet

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever your thoughts on the state of the current squad, when you put things down on paper like this you realise just how big a task the club has this summer. Lots of players with very uncertain futures and big improvements needed.

Players I expect to go: Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Jonny, Traore, Costa, Guedes and Neves (8)

Neves going twice? Was one supposed to be Nunes? I would prefer both to stay.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carlton Morris is not, and never will be, a Premier League player.
i’d argue Gyokres isn’t, but apparently on his way. yuck
Depends on what Lopetegui wants, NWW. He likes to work with a decent sized squad and we will need it for a long hard season and the nine sub rule.
theres a decent sized squad and then there’s a bloated, demotivated squad like we have. players need to feel like they can play, and the signs of dissent we are starting to hear about are no good for anyone.
far too big and lacking in quality.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
The problem is you are complaining about boubacar not getting a game and that’s the downside of having a big squad not enough will get game time.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all talk of this mystery striker thats going to make us into a top team but who is it and will we actually go for one?
Off the top of my head i can only really think of 5 that are classed as strikers
Wilson,Mitrovic,Toney,Kane and Haaland there may be a few ive missed but none that have scored many this season
Im aware we need a focal point playing the system and players we have right now but really wonder if JL is looking at a conventional striker as such
He may very well maybe but just pointing out that strikers are not necessarily the silver bullet
i think we do but also need the guys you are thinking of, who are chipping in outside of the striker and scoring from elsewhere. there is far too much pressure on the central striker position to get goals right now as noone else really supports

we need better end product across the board as well as being better at chance creation

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are plenty of other centre forwards that have scored significantly more than our strikers combined.

United - Rashford - 16 goals in 33 apps (hasn't always played down the middle tbf)
Villa - Watkins - 14 goals from 35 apps
Leeds - Rodrigo - 12 goals in 29 apps
Arsenal - Jesus - 10 goals from 24 apps
Forest - Awoniyi - 8 goals in 25 apps
Bournemouth - Solanke - 6 goals in 31 apps
Brighton - Ferguson - 4 goals in 15 apps

Then we have:

Costa - 1 goal in 22 apps
Raul - 0 goals in 14 apps
Cunha - 2 goals in 16 apps

We don't need someone to score 15-20 goals for us (as nice as that would be). Even if we had an Awoniyi scoring 8 in place of Costa/Raul we'd be significantly better off points-wise.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are plenty of other centre forwards that have scored significantly more than our strikers combined.

United - Rashford - 16 goals in 33 apps (hasn't always played down the middle tbf)

Then we have:

We don't need someone to score 15-20 goals for us (as nice as that would be). Even if we had an Awoniyi scoring 8 in place of Costa/Raul we'd be significantly better off points-wise.
Yeah getting 2 forwards who each can get 10 is much better than relying on one getting 20 as it gives you more protection if one gets injured or drops in form

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
There'll be some turnover in the summer but we won't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, Unless there are significant (too good to turn down) bids for players I can't see us selling or loaning out the likes of Sa, Collins, Neto, Sarabia, Silva, Hwang, Ait-Nouri, Podence, Boubacar Traore, and Semedo. Could even see Adama remaining with us as suitors aren't exactly beating down the door.

We have to be careful that a significant evolution of the squad doesn't go overboard.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There'll be some turnover in the summer but we won't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, Unless there are significant (too good to turn down) bids for players I can't see us selling or loaning out the likes of Sa, Collins, Neto, Sarabia, Silva, Hwang, Ait-Nouri, Podence, Boubacar Traore, and Semedo. Could even see Adama remaining with us as suitors aren't exactly beating down the door.

We have to be careful that a significant evolution of the squad doesn't go overboard.
I think Sa, Sarabia, Ait-Nouri and Podence will go.

Adama is already gone

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then we have:

Totally agree, forgot about Watkins tbh, Ferguson ,Solanki and Awoniyi i wouldnt class as particularly successful, i mean even Podence has scored 6 lol, but i get your drift
The lesser spotted 20 goal a season doesnt exist unless you pay £50 million plus, even then not certain to do it
We are probably looking at a couple that can score around the 10 mark rather than one that maybe scores 15 if lucky
Our style has to change,we need more balls in the box, someone to spot the runs of forwards and be more adventurous and most of all to get more players forward faster
Im hoping a full JL preseason and a few more players does this ,we will see

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sa, Sarabia, Ait-Nouri and Podence will go.

Adama is already gone
I'm not so sure, seems like he's been going for about 2 years now, looks motivated when he's come on for his 20 minute cameos. With all those players that could be on their way out, it will be a case of getting decent money for them and offloading the ones on the bigger wages. Not sure what the highest earners are except Neves & Moutinho now?

Back
Top Bottom