Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree about the quick feet and hold up play, but his sbolity to dialom needs a bit of work.
Exactly what I was thinking! :D

Seems an intelligent forward, and looks quite strong. He's not going to be Kane, Rashford or Haaland.....but we need a striker who can do all the hold up play, etc, as well as be able to actually finish. 8 goals and 4 assists for 30m is all we're asking for!!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking! :D

Seems an intelligent forward, and looks quite strong. He's not going to be Kane, Rashford or Haaland.....but we need a striker who can do all the hold up play, etc, as well as be able to actually finish. 8 goals and 4 assists for 30m is all we're asking for!!
Agreed.. I can understand why people watching yesterday weren’t enthused, but I am fairly confident he has enough all around game to do okay in the Prem. Especially with players like Cunha and Neto around him.. he had no one supporting him yesterday.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
awonyi?

I think gyokeres could work if supported.

Dont worry sasa is going to be a champion next year (when not broken) maybe 2 games in 20

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It helps to change the terminology from striker to goalscorer (gs) and then break it down clinically.

Your elites are 1-in-2 gs, 20 goals plus, like Haaland, Kane, Salah, Rashford, and we simply aren't going to get one of those - we got lucky with Raul who was pushing that at his best, hence two 7th places.

Next level are 1-in-3s, 12-15 goals, the Watkins, Jota, Foden, Son, Jesus type, and most top half teams will have one, and top 5 teams will have two.

The bread-and-butter 1-in-4 gs, 8-10 goals, are the supplementary forwards and gs midfielders, and again if you have a couple of those it raises you 5-6 places in the table.

By now, a credible PL team will have at least 3 gs in these categories. We have none. And the ones closest to it, Neves and Podence, could leave this summer.

WIll Silva come back and hit 10? Can Cunha hit 10, which is the least you'd expect for the transfer fee? Can Hwang or Neto hit 7-8? That's in addition to getting in a 10-15 gs, which is surely the requisite.

We have to nail it in this area in the summer.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all talk of this mystery striker thats going to make us into a top team but who is it and will we actually go for one?
Really most of the Prem teams dont have one at all
Off the top of my head i can only really think of 5 that are classed as strikers
Wilson,Mitrovic,Toney,Kane and Haaland there may be a few ive missed but none that have scored many this season
So thats 75% of teams that dont have a dedicated striker worth calling one
Im aware we need a focal point playing the system and players we have right now but really wonder if JL is looking at a conventional striker as such
He may very well maybe but just pointing out that strikers are not necessarily the silver bullet
You’re right, there’s not that many around.
But every player you’ve mentioned there, their respective teams are performing well against expectations (well, Spurs lol, but think how awful they’d be without Kane).
Whereas the only team you could pick out as exceeding expectations without a quality CF would be Brighton.
Everton, Leicester, us, Leeds, all lacking consistent CF performances, doing probably worse than expected.

bigwolf

Reaction score
genuinely think our issue isn’t a striker that can score goals. we don’t create the chances to score!

This. This. And this.

It's myth that bringing in a striker would make a significant difference. We just cannot create decent opportunities.

Don't get me wrong we have the predatory instincts in front of goal akin to an under 5s team but you bring in Haaland he'd struggle to score.

Everything falls apart when we get in the final third.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re right, there’s not that many around.
But every player you’ve mentioned there, their respective teams are performing well against expectations (well, Spurs lol, but think how awful they’d be without Kane).
Whereas the only team you could pick out as exceeding expectations without a quality CF would be Brighton.

Brighton have Evan Ferguson to be fair. Top talent. Even Welbeck does a job in Brighton's system. But Brighton can and have played well this season without a traditional CF.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
genuinely think our issue isn’t a striker that can score goals. we don’t create the chances to score!

That comes from wider areas.

Our fullbacks are good defensively, but they aren't good enough going forward.

A few times on Saturday we had overloads on both flanks. Toti and Neto on the left in particular. Every time we failed to capitalise. It's those type of situation that the better teams ruthlessly exploit.

It comes from the wider players, fullbacks or wide midfielders picking the right cross/pass and then from the strikers being in the right position to help that. Both aren't working with our current crop of players.

I think both striker and fullback upgrades are the priorities for the summer.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a squad we have more options than we have ever had since we came into the league

But our first team is probably as weak as it has ever been....We are crying out for first team players...

Just as an example we have Rayan Toti Bueno Jonny for left back......but none of them are matching what Jonny gave when he was largely the only option in our first two seasons..and I don't think Giles will improve this next season...we need a Raphael Guierriro type signing

It's the same up front when we had nobody to replace Raul in the first two seasons....none of the current options Costa hwang current Raul are matching the output.....and I don't think either Fabio or Saza and possibly Gyrokees will change that next season......We need a En Nesyri type signing

It's the same with hwang Sarabia neto podence as the left attacker....none have the quality Jota had when he was the only option

Losing Neves and Moutinho in midfield will also be a drop off in quality...we have the numbers to replace them already but have we got the quality that they gave us originally, No... we would need an Ugarte type signing to change that...

We've got too many options but not enough quality...we've gone for the numbers game to replace quality and it hasn't worked....

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a squad we have more options than we have ever had since we came into the league

But our first team is probably as weak as it has ever been....We are crying out for first team players...

Just as an example we have Rayan Toti Bueno Jonny for left back......but none of them are matching what Jonny gave when he was largely the only option in our first two seasons..and I don't think Giles will improve this next season...we need a Raphael Guierriro type signing

It's the same up front when we had nobody to replace Raul in the first two seasons....none of the current options Costa hwang current Raul are matching the output.....and I don't think either Fabio or Saza and possibly Gyrokees will change that next season......We need a En Nesyri type signing

It's the same with hwang Sarabia neto podence as the left attacker....none have the quality Jota had when he was the only option

Losing Neves and Moutinho in midfield will also be a drop off in quality...we have the numbers to replace them already but have we got the quality that they gave us originally, No... we would need an Ugarte type signing to change that...

We've got too many options but not enough quality
Good post and totally correct
Can JL improve some of the players already here like Nuno did with Coady?
Possibly but havent seen much evidence of it so far tbf
We definitely need at least 4 quality players in the summer and a few with potential
Will JL be backed to that extent?
We wait and see

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Gyokeres is reasonably quick and can use both feet to shoot. Good control , gets in the box. Can he go up a level or is he a vydra?
If for one moment you suspended the notion that this is in "The Championship" and consider this video being about a potential signing from France, Portugal. Netherlands, you'd be foaming at the mouth in anticipation.

Top sides in those leagues are competitive in European competition but are the lower teams that much better than The Championship? Not a huge leap of faith to think he would be okay in the Premier League. Look at the likes of Jota, Watkins etc players can and do make the step up.

If terms are right I would like to see him here.

We need a mix of strikers, Cunha, Sasa, Silva, Gykores are different enough, also think we would benefit from a pacy and physical direct CFWD. We have to play against highly technical teams as well as those that will park the bus against us. Variety is what we need here

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post and totally correct
Can JL improve some of the players already here like Nuno did with Coady?
Possibly but havent seen much evidence of it so far tbf
We definitely need at least 4 quality players in the summer and a few with potential
Will JL be backed to that extent?
We wait and see
Yes I agree, hopefully Nunes will show us the quality he has .I'm not dishing Bueno he has been tremendous but for me it would be very naiive to go with Bueno and toti as your options for next season....Bueno needs to continue his development alongside a senior professional....if we can't get a Raphael Guierriro type player who had quality output in this position then at least an acuna type signing..

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves going twice? Was one supposed to be Nunes? I would prefer both to stay.
Think it was more the fact I was typing it on the train, hungover at 7am. Neves going once is bad enough lol!

I personally think its 50/50 with Nunes. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see a bid or two come in. I'd really love to see him stay and do the business here though.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it was more the fact I was typing it on the train, hungover at 7am. Neves going once is bad enough lol!

I personally think its 50/50 with Nunes. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see a bid or two come in. I'd really love to see him stay and do the business here though.
Cant see nunes going, he didnt light it up, and we wont take anything less than 50m given his contract length

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, seems like he's been going for about 2 years now, looks motivated when he's come on for his 20 minute cameos. With all those players that could be on their way out, it will be a case of getting decent money for them and offloading the ones on the bigger wages. Not sure what the highest earners are except Neves & Moutinho now?
Adama is out of contract this summer

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but Palhinha would have been a far better signing than Nunes - acknowledging of course that they play in different positions - and for far less money too. I don't think Nunes has settled in as well as the likes of Neves, Moutinho, Jota etc did - both on and off the pitch.

Fundamentally, we need to start from scratch - aside from Kilman and Neves (who is leaving anyway), there are no other players who I would say should be nailed on starters and who should form the foundations of a new team. Maybe Lemina I suppose.

Still, depressing stuff considering where we were only a couple of seasons ago.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but Palhinha would have been a far better signing than Nunes - acknowledging of course that they play in different positions - and for far less money too. I don't think Nunes has settled in as well as the likes of Neves, Moutinho, Jota etc did - both on and off the pitch.

Fundamentally, we need to start from scratch - aside from Kilman and Neves (who is leaving anyway), there are no other players who I would say should be nailed on starters and who should form the foundations of a new team. Maybe Lemina I suppose.

Still, depressing stuff considering where we were only a couple of seasons ago.

I think Cunha will be a big player for us next season.

We've seen what he can do when paired with the right type of forward.

Also Sarabia's life has been a bit hectic since he arrived. Bigger things to come from him too I suspect.

Just getting this season out of the way has been the goal I think. Now we can start to build something better!!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sarabia is a very good footballer but not a great match for us unfortunately.

In a team with a more solid defence, more pro-active midfield he'd do really well, but we aren't that type of team. If we didn't have deficiencies in other parts of the team he'd be a bigger influence.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sarabia is a very good footballer but not a great match for us unfortunately.

In a team with a more solid defence, more pro-active midfield he'd do really well, but we aren't that type of team. If we didn't have deficiencies in other parts of the team he'd be a bigger influence.
I agree with Sarabia
Although he hasnt really worked out so far hes obviously decent and next season could be great if we get players in that suit his style same with Cunha really

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With the greatest possible respect to Mark Robins and Coventry City, could it be possible that training every day with an elite manager and far better players will see Gyokeres improve significantly? I think so...

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sarabia and Cunha either side of a striker in a 433 would probably work well; I’m just not sure our midfield and defence could play that way?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
latest percy article

15th May

However, Wolves are adopting a hardline stance over the midfielder’s future and have no interest in a swap deal, or any player plus cash proposals.

Telegraph Sport understands that the minimum fee they will accept is €50 million.

Barcelona’s hopes of signing Neves will be boosted by Wolves’ determination to avoid selling him to another Premier League club.

Though it appears inevitable the 26-year-old will finally depart Wolves this summer, the club would expect him to sign a contract extension if a move fails to materialise.

There is no desire from Wolves to let Neves run his contract down and leave as a free agent at the end of next season.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
latest percy article

15th May

However, Wolves are adopting a hardline stance over the midfielder’s future and have no interest in a swap deal, or any player plus cash proposals.

Telegraph Sport understands that the minimum fee they will accept is €50 million.

Barcelona’s hopes of signing Neves will be boosted by Wolves’ determination to avoid selling him to another Premier League club.

Though it appears inevitable the 26-year-old will finally depart Wolves this summer, the club would expect him to sign a contract extension if a move fails to materialise.

There is no desire from Wolves to let Neves run his contract down and leave as a free agent at the end of next season.
Sounds good to me

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
latest percy article

15th May

Zero chance of Barca giving us money for Neves.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i’d argue Gyokres isn’t, but apparently on his way. yuck

theres a decent sized squad and then there’s a bloated, demotivated squad like we have. players need to feel like they can play, and the signs of dissent we are starting to hear about are no good for anyone.
far too big and lacking in quality.
Is our squad any bigger than say Brighton’s squad or Newcastle squad? I’d say it isn’t and both having very good seasons with a similar sized squad to ours.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is you are complaining about boubacar not getting a game and that’s the downside of having a big squad not enough will get game time.
He should be on the bench ahead of one of the wingers. Other sides like Newcastle and Brighton manage similar size squads well.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton have Evan Ferguson to be fair. Top talent. Even Welbeck does a job in Brighton's system. But Brighton can and have played well this season without a traditional CF.
Also helps when they have numerous midfielders and wingers that score goals. We don’t.

Back
Top Bottom