Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saiss and Morocco in ACON

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
But you can't not count Cav and Costa because it doesn't suit your argument, they are midfielders who play with freedom because of the donkey work done by Price, and previously Coady/Saville and more recently Edwards as he has dropped deeper. Hopefully they will pop up with a few goals still but the burden of goal scoring doesn't and shouldn't lie with them.

Edwards was smashing goals in weekly until has played in a deeper role but him dropping deeper has benefited the play of the whole team making us look a lot more resolute.

A few goals from our Centre Halves wouldn't go a miss granted, but I would hazard a guess that the return of goals from our strikers is the lowest in the league if not all the football leagues, surely that is where the problem now lies?
I haven't discounted them.I have praised them .I merely highlighted the aforementioned centre midfield players who other than Edwards and Tex with his early 2 and Saville have not provided any which you need when your decent scorers don't manage to.
Yes our output from the main strikers is pathetic beyond belief.

D

Deleted member 5242

I haven't discounted them.I have praised them .I merely highlighted the aforementioned centre midfield players who other than Edwards and Tex with his early 2 and Saville have not provided any which you need when your decent scorers don't manage to.
Yes our output from the main strikers is pathetic beyond belief.

I think we kind of agree then :D

Unfortunately I just cant see us finding a Colin Cameron type, an all round midfielder who will get up and down the pitch and bang a few goals in.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think we kind of agree then :D

Unfortunately I just cant see us finding a Colin Cameron type, an all round midfielder who will get up and down the pitch and bang a few goals in.
Like many on here I look forward to the day when we have a midfield who can get hold of the game on a consistent basis and dominate the opposition.
We may have to wait a long time.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you can't not count Cav and Costa because it doesn't suit your argument, they are midfielders who play with freedom because of the donkey work done by Price, and previously Coady/Saville and more recently Edwards as he has dropped deeper. Hopefully they will pop up with a few goals still but the burden of goal scoring doesn't and shouldn't lie with them.

Edwards was smashing goals in weekly until has played in a deeper role but him dropping deeper has benefited the play of the whole team making us look a lot more resolute.

A few goals from our Centre Halves wouldn't go a miss granted, but I would hazard a guess that the return of goals from our strikers is the lowest in the league if not all the football leagues, surely that is where the problem now lies?

Donkey work is right! Its our central midfield that is utterly pathetic and will never in a hundred years get us up the table to the promotion spots. We are 18th and one of the main reasons for this is a total central midfield imbalance and poverty. Apart from Saiss I don't rate one of our central midfielders and Edwards getting a few goals, as usual, obscures the fact that he is mainly totally inadequate as a central midfielder - spending all his time chasing in the shadows of the opposition and creating virtually nothing himself in terms of incisive passing to get the opposition on the back foot. Price is simply adequate as a ball carrier but again offers no creativity whatsoever. Saville bang average. Evans possibly offers something but doesn't get a consistent run of games because Edwards is always in there week after week. Coady as a midfielder? You must be joking. Ronan is the one bright star and I hope he is not wasted and left out on the wing or kept solely on the bench. One reason the strikers hardly ever score is they get no accurate incisive supply from the midfield. If you or anyone else can't see this then I truly give up because it has been such a failure at Wolves for so many years bar the season and a half or so when McDonald was doing the business - but then of course we sell him without any replacement.

D

Deleted member 5242

Donkey work is right! Its our central midfield that is utterly pathetic and will never in a hundred years get us up the table to the promotion spots. We are 18th and one of the main reasons for this is a total central midfield imbalance and poverty. Apart from Saiss I don't rate one of our central midfielders and Edwards getting a few goals, as usual, obscures the fact that he is mainly totally inadequate as a central midfielder - spending all his time chasing in the shadows of the opposition and creating virtually nothing himself in terms of incisive passing to get the opposition on the back foot. Price is simply adequate as a ball carrier but again offers no creativity whatsoever. Saville bang average. Evans possibly offers something but doesn't get a consistent run of games because Edwards is always in there week after week. Coady as a midfielder? You must be joking. Ronan is the one bright star and I hope he is not wasted and left out on the wing or kept solely on the bench. One reason the strikers hardly ever score is they get no accurate incisive supply from the midfield. If you or anyone else can't see this then I truly give up because it has been such a failure at Wolves for so many years bar the season and a half or so when McDonald was doing the business - but then of course we sell him without any replacement.

....and breath.

Funnily enough I agree with most of that. For me Price is good enough if partnered with a better player, not Edwards who is useless in the holding centre midfield role. The rest, Saville and Coady etc are not good enough and will be found out week after week. That wasn't the discussion from me.

I simply alluded to the fact that our midfield does score goals, goal scoring is not the problem. Creating them and dominating games is, whilst also pointing out that if our strikers could hit a barn door we wouldn't even be having the discussion about goal scoring midfielders!

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Saiss so far and would like to see him as the mainstay in our CDM role.

However, the guardians report on the Morocco v Ivory Coast match had to references to Saiss..

' Ivory Coast win a free-kick after Saiss, of Wolves, leaves a foot in.' 2 mins
'Bony is dragged down by Saiss on the edge of the box' 18 mins

You have got to laugh....

E

Essex Wolf

I have been a fan of Saiss so far and would like to see him as the mainstay in our CDM role.

However, the guardians report on the Morocco v Ivory Coast match had to references to Saiss..

' Ivory Coast win a free-kick after Saiss, of Wolves, leaves a foot in.' 2 mins
'Bony is dragged down by Saiss on the edge of the box' 18 mins

You have got to laugh....
Look at the positives, at least he was there doing something.:D

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss is playing for Morocco against Egypt right now for those interested on Eurosport 1!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss header hit the cross bar, closest that either side have come.

D

Deleted member 4124

Late goal for Egypt. Morocco are eliminated. I assume Saïss is back for the Burton game?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morocco are out, conceded in the dying minutes of the game (not our man's fault). Saiss played as a centre half in every game for Morocco and really put himself about, got a goal thanks to his aerial presence and distributed the ball well. I wonder if Lambert will consider him at the back or continue to play him in the middle?

He should be back and available for Burton away on Saturday.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think Lambert rates him tbh, would be happy if he's given more of a chance to compete with Price and/or Saville.
If we get Hanley in then we'll have loads of centre backs anyway.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get him back in the squad for the Burton game.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will probably be behind Saville, Evans, Price, Edwards at least, anyone else?

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key problem is still Edwards. We cannot get a functioning unit because it is always Edwards + two whatever position he is in. Evans, Price and Saville could be decent with Saiss and play constructive football but you know who is always there to stop the flow. It is anti-football and is not wirking.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key problem is still Edwards. We cannot get a functioning unit because it is always Edwards + two whatever position he is in. Evans, Price and Saville could be decent with Saiss and play constructive football but you know who is always there to stop the flow. It is anti-football and is not wirking.

I'm not sure I've heard you mention this before, can you expand? I'd be fascinated to hear more about this viewpoint.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've heard you mention this before, can you expand? I'd be fascinated to hear more about this viewpoint.
Me too. Would love to know more.
Especially about the "Wirking".
Is it like twerking, but sexier?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too. Would love to know more.
Especially about the "Wirking".
Is it like twerking, but sexier?

It's what they do in Bilston "Wirk all wik, then chirch on a Sunday".

W

WednesfieldWolf

what a week! Beat Liverpool,looking set to sign costa and now Saiss is back! Saiss and Evans when he's back please Paul.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stay dreaming then mate.wake up at a minute past 11 on Tuesday night.:D

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say that with the rotations that have occurred in his absence which have been quite successful that he won't be seen as an integral part of the team going forward. Potentially playing in defence but as mentioned, if our interest in Hanley is true then he won't be ahead of stears, house, batth or Williamson ( although will he ever play again ) to partner him. As good as may become in this division I just don't see it this time around under lambert. Him being away on international duty at a time that has coincided in us playing much better and being stronger across the park will go against him in lamberts thinking.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At Liverpool Helder Costa showed, even though a winger, what a difference a man in the middle with the ability to run with and pass the ball can make to our effective ability to threaten scoring .

Always crossing the ball into the middle creates a different dynamic for our players to control and for their defenders to defend.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For those who say Saiss is not mobile, I disagree. Don't confuse positional discipline with lack of mobility. Secondly, we don't even have enough internet bandwidth to list off some of the most exceptional midfielders who've ever played the game who would be comfortably beaten in a race vs Carlton Palmer.

Anyway. 1min in. Romain Saiss does not lack mobility (or touch).

D

Deleted member 5242

For those who say Saiss is not mobile, I disagree. Don't confuse positional discipline with lack of mobility. Secondly, we don't even have enough internet bandwidth to list off some of the most exceptional midfielders who've ever played the game who would be comfortably beaten in a race vs Carlton Palmer.

Anyway. 1min in. Romain Saiss does not lack mobility (or touch).

You can show me as many 15 second snippets on YouTube as you want, I've seen him play and he didn't look very mobile at all, neither did he in the AFCON.

Regardless, he should be starting considering the recent displays from our CM.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can show me as many 15 second snippets on YouTube as you want, I've seen him play and he didn't look very mobile at all, neither did he in the AFCON.

Regardless, he should be starting considering the recent displays from our CM.

I've seen him play too. Looked plenty mobile enough to me in numerous games. Dave Edwards is as mobile as a midfielder could be and yet he gets criticised too for his inability to pass. Saiss actually can pass and tackle. These perfect midfielders that have great pace, engine, can pass and get goals do exist though.

They play in the Premier League and cost around £30m a piece.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I've seen him play too. Looked plenty mobile enough to me in numerous games. Dave Edwards is as mobile as a midfielder could be and yet he gets criticised too for his inability to pass. Saiss actually can pass and tackle. These perfect midfielders that have great pace, engine, can pass and get goals do exist though.

They play in the Premier League and cost around £30m a piece.

Thank goodness. I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't think he was immobile. I don't even think he's that slow either, certainly not any slower than the rest of our central midfielders anyway.

Anyway, our best two midfielders of recent years have been McDonald and David Jones and compared to them, Saiss is positively Usain Bolt-like.

Is he going to dribble past players? No. But his positional awareness and passing ability are in a different league to anything else we have there. Similar in style to a Michael Carrick.

Would love to see him next to Ronan as I think they would complement each other's games superbly.

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thank goodness. I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't think he was immobile. I don't even think he's that slow either, certainly not any slower than the rest of our central midfielders anyway.

Anyway, our best two midfielders of recent years have been McDonald and David Jones and compared to them, Saiss is positively Usain Bolt-like.

Is he going to dribble past players? No. But his positional awareness and passing ability are in a different league to anything else we have there. Similar in style to a Michael Carrick.

Would love to see him next to Ronan as I think they would complement each other's games superbly.
Agreed. Newcastle away in particular I thought Saiss got through a boat load of work, winning the ball, covering and then playing the simple pass.

Would love to see Saiss and Ronan form a partnership there. I think they have the attributes to compliment each other well. Like Cannon and Ball.

I totally understand/understood Lambert's view on players having the shirt to lose, but then he's contradicted that with Marshall and his comments on why Saiss is not in the team don't stand up to scrutiny given Wolves have now lost consecutive games.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes agree completely with that. I would have Price and Saiss together in defensive mode with Ronan as playmaker. That's three players who can actually pass the ball accurately. Any more of Edwards, Saville, Evans etc is sadly doomed to failure. Disappointed with Evans so far as he has ability and needs to express it much much more.

Back
Top Bottom