Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saiss and Morocco in ACON

F

FLEET WOLF

Saiss was doing what he does; pass to his teammates, not beaten by anybody and no mistakes. Sacrificed to get another forward on. The game is dreadfully slow though.
It is dreadful, never mind about dreadfully slow and I certainly won't be watching any more of this crappy tournament!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been watching a replay of the game. Saiss wasnt really tested, but he is very calm in that role. Saying that, he is a calming influence in midfield as well most of the time. There was a game not so long back when we seemed to fall apart when he lost his composure.

He certainly has a lot of talent. I just hope we can fit him into our side as i feel he is our best midfielder personally, i just wonder if he will suit lambert.

E

Essex Wolf

I've said it before & I'll say it again, this tournament really is a load of ****e. Worse standard than the checkatrade.

How anyone watches it I don't know.
No one I know bothers MW. I have in the past but it really is so poor I no longer bother.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How anyone can say price should start over Saiss is beyond stupid.
I think for their position, you need both in the squad if we're going for a playoff push next year. It's the other CM position we need to drastically improve on and spend a bit of money on.
Not sure Saiss wants to stay with us tbf, he's been dropped and not sure Lambert wants him.

W

WednesfieldWolf

In your opinion

I'm guessing you have been watching Morocco and the AFCON then?

I ain't watched much but I watch a lot of ligue 1 football ( gambling addict and bet365 air a lot of games on their site) and he is a million miles better than price. He can play it short, spread the ball, break up play, actually defend, keep the ball and more important, he doesn't stand there waving his arms around like a pr*** oh and he doesn't get pushed off the ball with ease

E

Essex Wolf

Saiss should be playing and until we do start to progress and play better technical players we wont move forward as a club.
This. He is from what little I've seen of him a calm and composed player who can pick a pass from near or far.

I ain't watched much but I watch a lot of ligue 1 football ( gambling addict and bet365 air a lot of games on their site) and he is a million miles better than price. He can play it short, spread the ball, break up play, actually defend, keep the ball and more important, he doesn't stand there waving his arms around like a pr*** oh and he doesn't get pushed off the ball with ease
On Saturday I felt Price worked hard and covered a fair bit of ground but was playing far too deep to have any telling impact and for all his work rate achieved sweet FA. merseawolf who I attended the game with also highlights the same as you WW in as much as Price just seemed to be arm waving a great deal without doing much. Seems a case of he has the commitment and work rate but just not he nous or ability? Saiss IMV offers so much more.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Lambert obviously sees the players more than we do hence some of his player sections .Players like Saville disappear from the 18 and then not long later they return straight into the starting eleven so some of these decisions are made on the training ground.I am not saying we should pick players who don't perform in training but if you have a player who has undoubted ability to control the ball,break up play and importantly pass consistently to team mates it would be folly to get rid of him and persist with the abject mediocrity we have in abundance in midfield ,the area which is symptomatic as to why we don't dominate games and currently sit 18th.We never ever learn and until we do we will continue scratching around .

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is, Saiss has had some great games and some poor ones. When he's had a poor game he is dropped and not seen again for weeks. He (like Cavaleiro did) needs a run of games to show his worth.

W

WednesfieldWolf

This. He is from what little I've seen of him a calm and composed player who can pick a pass from near or far.

On Saturday I felt Price worked hard and covered a fair bit of ground but was playing far too deep to have any telling impact and for all his work rate achieved sweet FA. merseawolf who I attended the game with also highlights the same as you WW in as much as Price just seemed to be arm waving a great deal without doing much. Seems a case of he has the commitment and work rate but just not he nous or ability? Saiss IMV offers so much more.

The funny thing about his arm waving is, people think thats enough for him to be captain as he's apparently sorting the side out? Nope. If you watch him, a lot of his arm waving happens when we concede, but a lot of the time, its his fault. Its almost like " oh **** i was meant to be marking him, quick lets blame someone else before they notice thats my job"

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Saiss would be the first midfield name on my teamsheet. I think he's a far superior player to any other midfielder we currently have.

I'd like to see him with Ronan (his ability to run at players would compliment Saiss' defensive attributes and range of passing) and one of Price, Evans or Edwards (depending on the opposition).

D

Deleted member 5242

Saiss would be the first midfield name on my teamsheet. I think he's a far superior player to any other midfielder we currently have.

I'd like to see him with Ronan (his ability to run at players would compliment Saiss' defensive attributes and range of passing) and one of Price, Evans or Edwards (depending on the opposition).

Fingers crossed he comes back in all guns blazing alongside Price, Edwards taking a back seat, Evans given his chance to stake a claim and Ronan getting some game time. I think most people see that as the ideal scenario.

either that or he slots into centre half

i am still not totally convinced though and the quality of the AFCON so far has been the equivalent of League One or lower

F

FLEET WOLF

The funny thing about his arm waving is, people think thats enough for him to be captain as he's apparently sorting the side out? Nope. If you watch him, a lot of his arm waving happens when we concede, but a lot of the time, its his fault. Its almost like " oh **** i was meant to be marking him, quick lets blame someone else before they notice thats my job"
My memory of Paul Ince playing for us was a lot of arm waving, as he gave the ball away in midfield!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss should be playing and until we do start to progress and play better technical players we wont move forward as a club.
So right - heads and shoulders above Price or Edwards if we choose to deploy him as CM/CDM. Even as a CB he should be in the side.

W

WednesfieldWolf

My memory of Paul Ince playing for us was a lot of arm waving, as he gave the ball away in midfield!

please do not mention paul ince name when talking about jack price, as if you are comparing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will never progress with players like Price, that's the hard truth. Can do a job of helping to retain possession to a certain extent and works hard but he's extremely limited fundamentally as a footballer, which is similar to Edwards albeit in different ways. Until we start to raise our expectations as supporters then we can only expect further mediocrity from the club.

The fact Price is worshiped by so many as some sort of messiah shows how far we have fallen as a club.

W

WednesfieldWolf

We will never progress with players like Price, that's the hard truth. Can do a job of helping to retain possession to a certain extent and works hard but he's extremely limited fundamentally as a footballer, which is similar to Edwards albeit in different ways. Until we start to raise our expectations as supporters then we can only expect further mediocrity from the club.

The fact Price is worshiped by so many as some sort of messiah shows how far we have fallen as a club.

I've said this for so many years and been given abuse left right and centre. He's liked so much simply because he's been here since he was 8 and he's 'local'. Just like Batth in his first 2 seasons

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd happily see Price dropped in favour of Saiss, much better midfielder but Price gets a lot of slack because he is local and shows 'passion'.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said this for so many years and been given abuse left right and centre. He's liked so much simply because he's been here since he was 8 and he's 'local'. Just like Batth in his first 2 seasons
Unfortunately, due to how poor our central midfield has been in recent years (apart from Kevin McDonald), many of our fans have had their expectations lowered to such an extent that they think Jack Price playing 40 yard passes sideways once every while means he's the Championship's Pirlo in the making, despite the fact he consistently gives the ball away in dangerous positions, is poor in the tackle and lacks the awareness to mark his opposite number. Add that to the fact he hardly creates any chances and has scored 2 goals (1 being a huge deflection) in his whole career and you start to think that maybe he isn't quite as good as he's made out to be but that he looks a lot better than he is next to Edwards who in comparison struggles to pass a ball accurately over 10 yards.

As said, can do a job at this level as a fill in player to an extent (probably more suited to L1) but is he good enough to be starting every game at this level? Absolutely not. Getting rid of McDonald the way that we did without a like for like replacement was criminal and it summed up Jackett's management last season that he effectively alienated our only playmaker.

D

Deleted member 5242

We won the league with Karl Henry and David Jones in CM :confused:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They complimented each other well at the time so not sure what your point is? Karl Henry was quite good at winning the ball back and laying off simple passes to Jarvis, Kightly and indeed Jones who could create chances. We currently don't have a CM who can open up a defence - David Jones, McDonald and even Milijas could.

A shame we never got to see Saiss and McDonald together, they could've complimented each other in a similar way. The very fact we got rid of McConald and extended Edwards' contract sums up how much Kevin Thelwell knows and where the club is going for years to come if he remains at the club.

D

Deleted member 5242

They complimented each other well at the time so not sure what your point is? Karl Henry was quite good at winning the ball back and laying off simple passes to Jarvis, Kightly and indeed Jones who could create chances. We currently don't have a CM who can open up a defence - David Jones, McDonald and even Milijas could.

A shame we never got to see Saiss and McDonald together, they could've complimented each other in a similar way. The very fact we got rid of McConald and extended Edwards' contract sums up how much Kevin Thelwell knows and where the club is going for years to come if he remains at the club.

Exactly my point. Price is perfectly capable of winning the ball back and laying off simple passes to Costa and Cav as Henry did with Kightly and Jarvis. He offers more than Henry did but like you say....he needs that player to compliment him. Hopefully Saiss is that player, I have my doubts but it will put the argument to bed one way or the other if he gets a good run in the team.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly my point. Price is perfectly capable of winning the ball back and laying off simple passes to Costa and Cav as Henry did with Kightly and Jarvis. He offers more than Henry did but like you say....he needs that player to compliment him. Hopefully Saiss is that player, I have my doubts but it will put the argument to bed one way or the other if he gets a good run in the team.
I don't think Saiss is that Advanced Playmaker like McDonald was at times and IMO will end up wanting to occupy the same part of the pitch that Price does. As said, we still need to sign a replacement for McDonald before we can expect some improvement from our central midfield.

Hourihane or Lansbury would've been a good signing but it seems like we aren't even looking for a CM which is disappointing and even if we did, wouldn't be willing to spend the necessary money on wages to attract the player(s) needed!

D

Deleted member 5242

I don't think Saiss is that Advanced Playmaker like McDonald was at times and IMO will end up wanting to occupy the same part of the pitch that Price does. As said, we still need to sign a replacement for McDonald before we can expect some improvement from our central midfield.

Hourihane or Lansbury would've been a good signing but it seems like we aren't even looking for a CM which is disappointing and even if we did, wouldn't be willing to spend the necessary money on wages to attract the player(s) needed!

I don't necessarily think we need an advanced play-making midfielder, with this formation that should be the role of the no.10 - to get in behind and create a dilemma for the opposition def/mid.

I think we need to play two proper midfielders capable of breaking the play up and keeping possession, and Price is perfectly capable in my eyes. As big a fan of Edward as I am he needs replacing, not Price. Then Edwards can go back to that advanced midfielder / no.10 role when he pops off the bench for 15-20 minutes!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
And forwards who could actually score
.Pathetic to think that when either Bod or Dicko scored the kids were off on their Summer holidays .I wonder if one of them will manage it before the Easter holidays roll round?

D

Deleted member 4594

Interesting that you don't like Price because he "gives the ball away in dangerous positions, is poor in the tackle, lacks the awareness to mark his man and doesn't score many goals" yet are singing the praises of Mcdonald who was guilty of all those things in his time here!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I wonder if we will ever sort out the midfield conundrum?

D

Deleted member 4594

I must have not been at the game where Kmac was an "advanced playmaker"...

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be bottom 3 without Edwards' goals.
I think focusing on his goals is too simplistic and doesn't fully consider the bigger picture. I believe we would exert more control in midfield without Edwards which would in turn had lead to better results over a season.

Back
Top Bottom