Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saiss and Morocco in ACON

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must have not been at the game where Kmac was an "advanced playmaker"...
He performed better when he was further up the pitch and even developed a good link up with Afobe. His performances were not as impressive when he started to play deeper as Jackett went into a defensive shell of sorts.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to this game, Morocco need a draw to go through. Ivory Coast need to win it to go through. Two of the better sides in the competition too.

D

Deleted member 4594

He performed better when he was further up the pitch and even developed a good link up with Afobe. His performances were not as impressive when he started to play deeper as Jackett went into a defensive shell of sorts.
Totally agree. I got infuriated watching him sit on the centre backs toes.
Just didn't see him play higher up the field often enough.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danny Batth would thrive in this tournament

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Morocco 1-0 up. May be without Saiss for a while longer.

W

wolfofwolvesstreet

Morocco winning 1-0. Cracking curling goal into top corner.

Saiss looking very solid, still picking out good passes, distribution in a different class to Batth, that's for sure.

I'd be massively disappointed if he didn't get a fair crack at the team when he gets back - including at CB.

W

wolfofwolvesstreet

Just a thought too for those people putting down the quality of players, the attackers Saiss is defending against this game include Zaha, Wilfred Bony, and Villa's 15mil signing Kodjia has just come on, so I'd say that's not a bad standard he is up against.

D

Deleted member 5242

Just a thought too for those people putting down the quality of players, the attackers Saiss is defending against this game include Zaha, Wilfred Bony, and Villa's 15mil signing Kodjia has just come on, so I'd say that's not a bad standard he is up against.

First real test of the tournament. Quality will get progressively better so let's see. So far so good

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morocco winning 1-0. Cracking curling goal into top corner.

Saiss looking very solid, still picking out good passes, distribution in a different class to Batth, that's for sure.

I'd be massively disappointed if he didn't get a fair crack at the team when he gets back - including at CB.

Totally agree.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert is surely keeping an eye on Saiss out there. He's no fool, and must see the quality and positional versatility Saiss brings to the squad.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss is a quality player let's hope Lambo gets him right and into the team offers more than Coady and Sav in the middle roles for sure

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But will Lambert/the club be watching?! Will we have sent scouts out there?
I hope so and would have thought we would, but then again this is Wolves. Why can't Spiers ask some questions to Lambert asking him has he been watching, what does he make of Saiss at centre half etc.

M

merseawolf

Are you old enough to remember John?:D
I do remember a few good centre halves over the 40 years i've been watching Wolves mate but not many who had really good passing ability. Seem to remember De Wolf spraying passes out but other than that struggling to think of many. Said in a thread a while back one of the best passers in our league is Keogh at Derby. He manages to find forwards quite easily.
I remember playing in a team with Kevin Steggles who played for Ipswich and Albion. He played centre back for us and would laser 40-50 yard passes time after time in games. Was something you dont see a great deal of in my opinion.
I think John Terry is a great passer off both feet but David Luis maybe even better.
Its just for this reason i think Saiss should be given a run there for us and leave the midfield more mobile and more suited to Championship football.

D

Deleted member 5242

In this context yes
Costa and Cav are more wingers in my view.

It's no surprise we don't get many goals from midfield then if we only play two midfielders :D

Seriously though, goals from the two central midfielders, considering the way we play is not a concern for me, as long as they are resolute, break up play and distribute the ball well either to our no.10 or the wingers that's fine with me.

I keep coming back to the last time we were promoted so sorry for harping on but we had 4 goals from our centre mids that year.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It's no surprise we don't get many goals from midfield then if we only play two midfielders :D

Seriously though, goals from the two central midfielders, considering the way we play is not a concern for me, as long as they are resolute, break up play and distribute the ball well either to our no.10 or the wingers that's fine with me.

I keep coming back to the last time we were promoted so sorry for harping on but we had 4 goals from our centre mids that year.
Yes but we had strikers who could score goals then .We are totally relying on 2/3 players to get us goals .The others need to contribute more.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Saiss doesn't go straight into the first team then I will really start worrying about Lambert. I would try him out as a CB as he would be so much better than either Batth or Stearman or keep him in defensive midfield with either Evans or Price. We need players who can actually pass to a gold shirt consistently. This is Batth's great failing, his lack of composure and tendency to whack the board forward without any real thought. Williamson was so much steadier a presence and I wonder if him and Saiss might not make the perfect pairing is Williamson could just stay fit.

D

Deleted member 5242

Yes but we had strikers who could score goals then .We are totally relying on 2/3 players to get us goals .The others need to contribute more.

So because our strikers can't hit a barn door, its the fault of our centre midfielders? Granted 10+ games or so ago we were creating absolutely nothing but we look more dangerous going forward now. I cant quite see your logic.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
So because our strikers can't hit a barn door, its the fault of our centre midfielders? Granted 10+ games or so ago we were creating absolutely nothing but we look more dangerous going forward now. I cant quite see your logic.
Because if the strikers don't score you need goals from elsewhere.We have Costa Cav Edwards and Doherty who have contributed well but next to nothing from elsewhere.That is my point.We might be playing better but the top teams usually have prolific strikers and useful contributions throughout the team we don't .

D

Deleted member 5242

Because if the strikers don't score you need goals from elsewhere.We have Costa Cav Edwards and Doherty who have contributed well but next to nothing from elsewhere.That is my point.We might be playing better but the top teams usually have prolific strikers and useful contributions throughout the team we don't .

I shall politely disagree, we have plenty of goals from our midfield including Edwards/Cav/Costa, more than most I would imagine.

If its goals we are talking then you simply have to look at our strikers, clutching at straws to start pointing fingers at our holding midfielders IMO.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I shall politely disagree, we have plenty of goals from our midfield including Edwards/Cav/Costa, more than most I would imagine.

If its goals we are talking then you simply have to look at our strikers, clutching at straws to start pointing fingers at our holding midfielders IMO.
I said previously I deem Cav and Costa as wingers I am talking mainly about Coady Saiss Evans Price Saville and Tex who at least has 2 .Saville scored about 7 last year but is it one this year?How many goals have our central defenders provided?
It is not clutching at straws to point out the paucity of goals throughout the team other than the aforementioned 4.

D

Deleted member 5242

I said previously I deem Cav and Costa as wingers I am talking mainly about Coady Saiss Evans Price Saville and Tex who at least has 2 .Saville scored about 7 last year but is it one this year?How many goals have our central defenders provided?
It is not clutching at straws to point out the paucity of goals throughout the team other than the aforementioned 4.

But you can't not count Cav and Costa because it doesn't suit your argument, they are midfielders who play with freedom because of the donkey work done by Price, and previously Coady/Saville and more recently Edwards as he has dropped deeper. Hopefully they will pop up with a few goals still but the burden of goal scoring doesn't and shouldn't lie with them.

Edwards was smashing goals in weekly until has played in a deeper role but him dropping deeper has benefited the play of the whole team making us look a lot more resolute.

A few goals from our Centre Halves wouldn't go a miss granted, but I would hazard a guess that the return of goals from our strikers is the lowest in the league if not all the football leagues, surely that is where the problem now lies?

Back
Top Bottom