Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saiss and Morocco in ACON

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if posted elsewhere and apologies for any errors that might follow but the Saiss watchers amongst us will be cheering him on in the number 6 shirt, playing for Morocco in Group C, as follows:
(All times shown are UK. Gabon is 1 hour ahead)

16 Jan 7pm vs DR Congo
20 Jan 7pm vs Togo
24 Jan 7pm vs Ivory Coast
QFs on 29 Jan if the mighty Morocco progresses.

W

we8wba

Is competition on either Eurosport or BBC? Or any other broadcaster in uk

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many players playing in England decided to stay and play for their clubs instead? I wonder if this has played any part in why Saiss hasn't featured for us recently.

D

Deleted member 5242

Really hope he has a great tournament. Still think his best position will be CH

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if posted elsewhere and apologies for any errors that might follow but the Saiss watchers amongst us will be cheering him on in the number 6 shirt, playing for Morocco in Group C, as follows:
(All times shown are UK. Gabon is 1 hour ahead)

16 Jan 7pm vs DR Congo
20 Jan 7pm vs Togo
24 Jan 7pm vs Ivory Coast
QFs on 29 Jan if the mighty Morocco progresses.

I presume he'll be playing against Afobe in their first game then against D.R. Congo.
Providing Afobe has gone there of course.

Reaction score
Hope he plays well, with Stearman departing at the end of the season and Williamson only 1 game in the last 13 months we could do with some talent in central midfield, and a cull from central midfield. Move Saiss backwards and you've killed two birds with one stone. Good ball playing centre back could be just what we need.

S

ShropshireLad

Hope he plays well, with Stearman departing at the end of the season and Williamson only 1 game in the last 13 months we could do with some talent in central midfield, and a cull from central midfield. Move Saiss backwards and you've killed two birds with one stone. Good ball playing centre back could be just what we need.
Yeah, I remember it being said that he could play as a CB when he arrived. Food for thought, is that suggestion.

S

ShropshireLad

Something tells me if Saiss had made himself unavailable our manager wouldn't have picked him anyway
It's definitely in his best interests to go and get game time in a change of environment in a competition as well as have a bit of bonding with "pals" he knows in a warmer climate. What's not to gain?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's definitely in his best interests to go and get game time in a change of environment in a competition as well as have a bit of bonding with "pals" he knows in a warmer climate. What's not to gain?
Apart from he's lost his place in our first team, and may possibly lose his place in the squad and will be sold. Maybe he's not that bothered and not that committed to Wolves and would rather play in a second rate international competition. Plenty of clubs will buy him so why should he care?

S

ShropshireLad

Apart from he's lost his place in our first team, and may possibly lose his place in the squad and will be sold. Maybe he's not that bothered and not that committed to Wolves and would rather play in a second rate international competition. Plenty of clubs will buy him so why should he care?
Isn't that what I was intimating?

Anyhow, let's be fair, the ACON won't be considered as second rate when you consider the quality of many other African players who are going.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does this nonsensical tournament happen so frequently it seems. Is there any order as to how often this happens? It seems to change all the time.

D

Deleted member 4124

Why does this nonsensical tournament happen so frequently it seems. Is there any order as to how often this happens? It seems to change all the time.
How is it any more nonsensical than the Euros?
It's played every two years and has done so since the very beginning apart from when it was played in 2012 and 2013 because they changed the number from even to odd years.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that what I was intimating?

Anyhow, let's be fair, the ACON won't be considered as second rate when you consider the quality of many other African players who are going.

I read it that you thought it was a good idea for him to go.

It's always been a pretty poor standard whenever I've watched it.

LaurenceHenry

Reaction score

In fairness the quality of Euro 16 was not exactly high. In fact it was quite a poor tournament for the most part

S

ShropshireLad

It's no big deal thinking that it's OK for him to go when it seems unlikely that he'll be picked to start. It's probable that he'll be refreshed by his participation and there are plenty of decent players taking part. Kanu and Drogba and the like never had a problem with it...not forgetting "Goldenboots" that aspirant African footballer of the year.:cool:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's no big deal thinking that it's OK for him to go when it seems unlikely that he'll be picked to start. It's probable that he'll be refreshed by his participation and there are plenty of decent players taking part. Kanu and Drogba and the like never had a problem with it...not forgetting "Goldenboots" that aspirant African footballer of the year.:cool:
It is a big deal to me and I reckon it's a big deal to Paul Lambert. He was starting until he said I'm off to the ACON.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was starting, he was in the first 11, he was playing...... He got dropped because he was going to the ACON and Lambert said he'd rather use players who would be here in January and I don't blame him one bit.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you were German or Italian I'd understand...but you're English, half the teams in the competition would beat us in a competitive competition

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were German or Italian I'd understand...but you're English, half the teams in the competition would beat us in a competitive competition
I don't disagree with you there.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Makes good sense as Saiss is not blessed with great pace which would not matter playing as a CB.

M

Mr Wolf

Can somebody remind me how many Premier League appearances Gareth Barry has, after all he is rapid & that's what counts.

The ball moves quicker than any player. We lack quality, nothing to do with pace. Our midfielders can't pass or interchange, static in ability not their legs.

I'm ****ed sorry.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can not begrudge a player wanting to play for his country, doesn't matter the competition nor standard.

The AFCON is a big deal for African nations, and I'm sure Saiss would want to come back with a winners medal after representing his country in his continents bi-annual tournament.

If clubs don't like it, don't sign African players. For me, Saiss is one of our most competent players on the ball and his distribution from deep is better than anyone's a this club.

Not playing him could have been Lambert cutting his nose off, thankfully it hasn't been that.

AFCON is also the opportunity Wolves now have to watch Saiss at Centreback, and if it clicks out there it'll be to our benefit I feel. He can walk back into our midfield, and afterwards maybe walk into our back four.

But please, let's not lambast a lad for wanting to play for his country.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't lambasted him, I've repeatedly said I respect and understand his decision. I would have preferred him to stay at the club as other players do, but good luck to him, I hope he does well, all I've said is don't moan about Lambert dropping him.

Last edited:
W

wolfofwolvesstreet

Looking forward to watching Saiss and rooting for Morocco, adds a bit of interest to it all. Good luck to the lad.

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only player I have seen say he isn't going is Benik Afobe. Why wouldn't Romain want to play for his country is the African nations, think of some of the players who have played in them before think of some of my first list, would you expect any of these not to go if Wolves signed them (not that any would come to Wolves! Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Serge Aurier, Islam Slimani, Yacine Brahimi, Faouzi Ghoulam, Sadio Mane, Kalidou Koulibaly, Eric Bailly - All quality players!

Here are players from our leagues that are going, as others have said if you sign a African player you want them to be good enough to play in the AFCONs surely? Bruno Ecuele Manga (Cardiff City), Didier Ibrahim Ndong (Sunderland) Adlene Guedioura (Watford), Ismael Bennacer (Arsenal), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Everton), Cheikhou Kouyate (West Ham), Mohamed Diame (Newcastle) Mame Biram Diouf (Stoke City), Whabi Khazri (Sunderland), Chancel Mbemba (Newcastle), Gabriel Zakuani (Northampton Town), Youssouf Mulumbu (Norwich), Neeskens Kebano (Fulham), Jacques Maghoma (Birmingham City) Dieumerci Mbokani (Hull City) Jordan Botaka (Charlton Athletic) Lamine Kone (Sunderland) Wilfried Bony (Stoke City), Max Gradel (Bournemouth), Jonathan Kodjia (Aston Villa) Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace). Floyd Ayite (Fulham), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull City) Ramadan Sobhi (Stoke City),Mohamed Elneny (Arsenal) Andy Yiadom (Barnsley) Jordan Ayew (Aston Villa), Andre Ayew (West Ham) Christian Atsu (Newcastle United), Daniel Amartey (Leicester City) Bakary Sako (Crystal Palace).

Think of today, This tournemant has affected Villa more than us! Good luck Romain!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The two lads from Albion aren't going, one from Borough one from Liverpool, there are others too but can't be bothered to look. That's their choice they consider their clubs more important than the ACON, Saiss doesn't, theirs no right or wrong answer. I hope he has a great tournament and I look forward to many years of loyal service from Saiss on his return.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can't count Cameroon players remaining at their clubs, they're doing it as they've gone all Holland and there's been massive fallings out with coaches. It's politically driven rather than football reasons.

S

ShropshireLad

The two lads from Albion aren't going, one from Borough one from Liverpool, there are others too but can't be bothered to look. That's their choice they consider their clubs more important than the ACON, Saiss doesn't, theirs no right or wrong answer. I hope he has a great tournament and I look forward to many years of loyal service from Saiss on his return.
I think you're being very harsh, mate. Just my opinion and not a wind-up...honest.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope I am being harsh and it has a positive impact on his Wolves career, (I couldn't care less about Morroco), my fear is it will have a negative impact in some way, he's already missed games because of it, before the tournament even starts. I may be wrong but I don't think Saiss will be here in 18 months and I wonder whether he'll care, that's modern football I suppose.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Matip been withdrawn from Liverpool squad over complications from not going to AFCON

D

Deleted member 5242

I remember the uproar when Sir Alex stopped various players joining the England team for friendlies on several occasions.

For me there is STILL no greater honour in football than to represent your country and the African players should be encouraged to do so

Back
Top Bottom