Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Paul Gascoigne

grubbyears

Reaction score
Looking good Gazza

CsJqR90WcAA9H_h.jpg

Last edited:

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased that this latest post was not what I thought I was going to be reading. In fact the complete opposite , so this is great news.

Keep it up Gazza.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased that this latest post was not what I thought I was going to be reading. In fact the complete opposite , so this is great news.

Keep it up Gazza.
I know what you mean. My heart missed a beat. Just a hint of the old Gazza there.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Every time I see his name now I'm thinking the worst has happened! Good to see him looking well keep strong Gazza

U

Ulfhednar

I saw a documentary on him and he's apparently got ADHD (and a very hyperactive type), they have huge stamina (which is half the problem) but he's looking good on it now :)

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately its a matter of time.
The bloke will be constantly in the shadow of addiction and im sure it will eventually get the better of him.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Gazza should try that himself, he'll be back on a programme in 3 months with Gary Lineker et al going through all the motions again about his demons before his next bender at Christmas. He's had every opportunity, money, support, family & friends all kinds of professional help so tough $$$$.
Life is just black and white for you, ain't it mate?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's looking great on that photo. Brilliant to see.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one and only English legend in my lifetime. SO happy to see him look so good, onwards and upwards

F

FLEET WOLF

Anyone who has posted the usual rubbish on here about Gazza does not really understand addiction. Try doing a bit of research and see how complicated it is for anyone to overcome any sort of addiction before posting rubbish again.
Well said

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Anyone who has posted the usual rubbish on here about Gazza does not really understand addiction. Try doing a bit of research and see how complicated it is for anyone to overcome any sort of addiction before posting rubbish again.
Exactly

E

Edgmond Wolf

This in Spades

In fact some of the posts on page one need removing

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Page 1 of this thread is embarassing to say the least and a few people really need to have a look at themselves. Very easy to be dismissive of addiction when you havent faced it.

Regardless of him being the greatest English player of his generation by a mile (If Gerrard, Beckham and Ashley Cole can get 100 caps each, he should have had 200!), on the occasion I met him he is a thoroughly good guy and I wish him all the best in the world to recover from this horrible illness. Spirit of Italia 90 Gazza, you can do it!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes indeed.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the very unlikely event that the 'pull yourself together' and 'it's his own fault' ill informed posters who have once again embarrassed themselves can reflect on their behaviour I'll post this.

Twenty five years ago a friend ended up on a drip, legs swollen so much he couldn't walk, with one eye not working and all that could be seen of that eye was the white bit, it had 'turned in' on itself. His liver and other vital organs were shutting down, He was an alcoholic of course.

The signs had been there for some time. Just a few months before he ended up in hospital he had arrived at my house having walked 3 miles and was 'hiding' in the bushes. 'They' were after him. Who? 'The Police' he said. (complete nonsense) He was paranoid and on taking him back home his front door was unlocked and open 'because he didn't want o let the police to hear the door slam'. It was all a bit pathetic.

His breath smelt awful and although he wasn't exactly 'tramp like' he was on the way.

I visited him in hospital and he was barely audible. He looked at me through his one good eye and mumbled to me 'What a ****ing mess mate'

He spent months in hospital but finally came home and hasn't touched a drop since. Good on him I say but he knows- as all of those afflicted do- he is one drink away from the abyss.He has been able to stay off it, many don't, but it has changed him anyway. It does. No one can abuse the stuff so much and not be.

For two years after he came home he hardly left the house and wouldn't mix. Such was the shame he felt that he had inflicted so much misery on his family and he (wrongly in my case and most others I know) believed his old friends held him in contempt for his 'weakness'

Once he did start coming out again for years he often asked 'What do you really think of me?' 'How am I doing' etc etc. His confidence was completely shot and he was a shadow of his former self. His ability to take the responsibility of work went also. Previously he had worked for one company for about thirty years. He is considerably better after all this time but addiction is cruel and corrosive.

Do those who think it's 'their own fault' think that this friend of mine actually wanted the pain, physical and emotional, or the life threatening results of this? My own mate was early forties at the time. Do you really think he wanted to kill himself in such a way? That they had 'chosen' to do it?

All the best to Gascoigne. Drink or no drink I always thought he was a bit of a tit off the field but I knew he was a special footballer on it.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the very unlikely event that the 'pull yourself together' and 'it's his own fault' ill informed posters who have once again embarrassed themselves can reflect on their behaviour I'll post this.

Twenty five years ago a friend ended up on a drip, legs swollen so much he couldn't walk, with one eye not working and all that could be seen of that eye was the white bit, it had 'turned in' on itself. His liver and other vital organs were shutting down, He was an alcoholic of course.

The signs had been there for some time. Just a few months before he ended up in hospital he had arrived at my house having walked 3 miles and was 'hiding' in the bushes. 'They' were after him. Who? 'The Police' he said. (complete nonsense) He was paranoid and on taking him back home his front door was unlocked and open 'because he didn't want o let the police to hear the door slam'. It was all a bit pathetic.

His breath smelt awful and although he wasn't exactly 'tramp like' he was on the way.

I visited him in hospital and he was barely audible. He looked at me through his one good eye and mumbled to me 'What a ****ing mess mate'

He spent months in hospital but finally came home and hasn't touched a drop since. Good on him I say but he knows- as all of those afflicted do- he is one drink away from the abyss.He has been able to stay off it, many don't, but it has changed him anyway. It does. No one can abuse the stuff so much and not be.

For two years after he came home he hardly left the house and wouldn't mix. Such was the shame he felt that he had inflicted so much misery on his family and he (wrongly in my case and most others I know) believed his old friends held him in contempt for his 'weakness'

Once he did start coming out again for years he often asked 'What do you really think of me?' 'How am I doing' etc etc. His confidence was completely shot and he was a shadow of his former self. His ability to take the responsibility of work went also. Previously he had worked for one company for about thirty years. He is considerably better after all this time but addiction is cruel and corrosive.

Do those who think it's 'their own fault' think that this friend of mine actually wanted the pain, physical and emotional, or the life threatening results of this? My own mate was early forties at the time. Do you really think he wanted to kill himself in such a way? That they had 'chosen' to do it?

All the best to Gascoigne. Drink or no drink I always thought he was a bit of a tit off the field but I knew he was a special footballer on it.

I recognise a lot of what you are saying there BNW. Over the years I've lost a few friends through suicide and virtually all had problems with either booze or drugs. There for the grace of God etc

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Ihave said this before.The grandfather of our only grandchild was working on Piper Alpha.He swapped shifts with a colleague and flew to the mainland .After the explosion when 167 people lost their lives he had the onerous task of helping to identify most of the dead bodies many of whom could only be identified by the football shirts they wore or their tattoos.
He had a guilt complex for swapping shifts and subsequently hit the bottle and it became a downward spiral before he eventually lost the battle last year.Oh that it is so simple that people can simply pull themselves together and get over it .

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good luck gazza you look to be doing well in the photo, long may it continue.

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's very obvious from your posts that you lack any sort of empathy for Gazza's situation Mr Wolf but you could at least show some sympathy for the situation that he is in.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ihave said this before.The grandfather of our only grandchild was working on Piper Alpha.He swapped shifts with a colleague and flew to the mainland .After the explosion when 167 people lost their lives he had the onerous task of helping to identify most of the dead bodies many of whom could only be identified by the football shirts they wore or their tattoos.
He had a guilt complex for swapping shifts and subsequently hit the bottle and it became a downward spiral before he eventually lost the battle last year.Oh that it is so simple that people can simply pull themselves together and get over it .

gulp.

The few inches between your ears can be the biggest loneliest place in the world no matter how much you or others want it to be otherwise. Friends dont matter, family dont matter, time has a strange quality to it. Getting out of bed is the longest journey in the world. If we are lucky we get better, but once you have seen the beast, you always know he could return. If you are lucky you fend it off again. Some arent so lucky. Some of those who have expressed a very simplistic view of the world are lucky that it has never affected them in the way it has some other poor sods.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
gulp.

The few inches between your ears can be the biggest loneliest place in the world no matter how much you or others want it to be otherwise. Friends dont matter, family dont matter, time has a strange quality to it. Getting out of bed is the longest journey in the world. If we are lucky we get better, but once you have seen the beast, you always know he could return. If you are lucky you fend it off again. Some arent so lucky. Some of those who have expressed a very simplistic view of the world are lucky that it has never affected them in the way it has some other poor sods.
Well said. For some it's all so simple: black and white, good and bad.

O

OldWolvesfart

A lot of compelling and tragic tales by fellow posters above. But Gazza carries a further burden his instant recognition as a celebrity and the gutter press on his case. Wish you well Paul.

L

luckyjim

Ah, but is Gazza still worthy of redemption in light of his conviction for racially aggravated abuse? Is he a racist ****-head or has a vulnerable man been subjected to an arbitrary show-trial?

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, but is Gazza still worthy of redemption in light of his conviction for racially aggravated abuse? Is he a racist ****-head or has a vulnerable man been subjected to an arbitrary show-trial?
I want to see this guy move forward in his life, but he really doesn't help himself coming out with a line that sounded like something from the '70s show 'The Comedians'.

O

OldWolvesfart

Oh please jim. Gazza is/was an amazingly talented football star who's world was turned upside down by his popularity and the press. He could not handle his later failure and loss of adulation. Drink took over and he strives to hang on. Lets hope he survives, all the best Gazza.

L

luckyjim

Oh please jim. Gazza is/was an amazingly talented football star who's world was turned upside down by his popularity and the press. He could not handle his later failure and loss of adulation. Drink took over and he strives to hang on. Lets hope he survives, all the best Gazza.

Let's deliberately misread my post in order to avoid answering a simple question. Do you think the CPS should have brought this case to court?

E

Edgmond Wolf

It's very obvious from your posts that you lack any sort of empathy for Gazza's situation Mr Wolf but you could at least show some sympathy for the situation that he is in.
This in Spades

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet Roy Chubby Brown is still touring I see.

Blimey, he must be 132 years old now?

With regards to Gazza, whilst he shouldn't have made the racist comment that he made, I don't believe for one second that he meant any malice. It was just a naive old-fashioned throw away comment that should never have gone to court.

It could have been resolved quite easily with an apology from Gazza, a handshake and a pint, plus a couple of hundred quid as a "I was out of order and I shouldn't have humiliated you like that - take the family out for a meal or a day out on me. Sorry for offending you" gesture.

Central News reported that the defendant said in court that he went home and cried after it happened, he's had flashbacks ever since, and it's affected his life. Seriously? A grown man, a security guard, went home and cried? Had flashbacks? It changed his life? I don't believe a word of it. He was the victim of a childish comment - not a good beating in a pub car park.

I hope he doesn't watch any re-runs of Only Fools and Horses or Steptoe and Son on Sky where at least one comment along those lines would be used per episode with nobody, black or white, being offended.

If he cried over Gazza's comment, then I dread to think how he'd feel after watching an episode of Steptoe and Son.

Yes, Gazza was wrong. Yes, the victim was right to be offended and a bit upset - but I don't believe one bit that he cried, has suffered flashbacks and it's affected his life.

Back
Top Bottom