Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nathan Collins

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford fans seem more than happy with him despite last night
Suggests that last night was an exception as far as the Bee fans are concerned.

I think Hobbs wanted to keep him.
Interesting and someone with a better brain than mine at assessing the ability of young players and what they are capable of. I think one of O'Neil's strengths is his ability to assist in developing players and identifying weaknesses in their game. It would have been interesting if he had an opportunity in coaching Nathan.

Brentford supporting mate says he has been really good for them up until his injury. Thought he started well for us last year but never really got a long run of games after his suspension against City (understandably given how well Dawson and Kilman did).
I thought the defence became problematic while he was suspended and the problems continued when he returned. I felt at the time the problem was less poor defending and more ball retention further up the field which meant that the defence were coming under far more pressure than they normally would. Incidentally, I thought he was brought back into the team last night after being out, certainly for the previous game and maybe longer, the poor performance may have been down to lack of match fitness.

I am one of those who argued we shouldn't get rid of Nathan. I still believe he has the ability to have a decent Premiership career.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let’s not forget the header he should have buried to make it 2-2. All in all a very bad game for the lad.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kev Doyle, Dave Jones the midfielder, and Ryan Bennett yes probably the most arrogant players Iv met also. Like they see us fans as peasants, no conversation. Just didn’t like interacting really. Fine but at least try and fake it surely

Hahnemann and Matt Murray on the other hand lovely blokes, so was Surman
I went to the End of Season dinner many years ago as a guest of a client who were sponsors so we had two players on our table. I sat next to Jamie Ohara and he was genuinely one of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met. Took a genuine interest in what I do, was asking me about my kids and we talked football for hours. Definitely not what I expected. Also had George Elokobi who was 100% what I expected, an absolute gent. I obviously lucked out, a pal of mine was on a table with Kevin Doyle and he said he was a right **** and spent most the night looking at his phone

Wolfster

Reaction score
Watching the replays again, i think the last goal is great play from Cunha as much as it was a mistake from Collins. I don't think it was mentioned on the telly but i'm pretty sure Cunha is actually hiding behind another defender waiting for the pass. Then as soon as the ball leaves his foot he is onto it like a flash. It looks like a howler, and still is one, but i dont actually think Collins knew he was there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228-115445_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-115445_YouTube.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20231228-115516_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-115516_YouTube.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 52

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Watching the replays again, i think the last goal is great play from Cunha as much as it was a mistake from Collins. I don't think it was mentioned on the telly but i'm pretty sure Cunha is actually hiding behind another defender waiting for the pass. Then as soon as the ball leaves his foot he is onto it like a flash. It looks like a howler, and still is one, but i dont actually think Collins knew he was there.
Good spot... We should deploy these tactics against the Villa. We could get four blokes hiding behind John Mcginn all at the same time!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just be grateful that you are not Nathan Collins..... apparently he had family over from Ireland to watch.
giphy.gif

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's entirely down to Collins' complete lack of awareness then.

Players shouldn't be able to hide behind another player. A curtain, a door, a wheelie bin maybe but not another similarly sized fella wearing totally different colours to himself. That's just ridiculous.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Collins didn’t want to leave us and has said nothing bad about us. If we weren’t in such financial problems we wouldn’t have sold him. There is a player there but don’t forget he is still very young - 22? We know he’s going to make mistakes. Feel sorry for him actually but the PL environment is brutal - sink or swim.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel bad for the lad. Very likable guy. Still think there is a player in him and he wasn't helped by Brentford being all over the shop generally like us when he was in the team last season. He looked better before his injury understand why sold him though.
He was the guy that was all over the shop, and I feel sorry for anyone playing with him!

Wolfster

Reaction score
That's entirely down to Collins' complete lack of awareness then.

Players shouldn't be able to hide behind another player. A curtain, a door, a wheelie bin maybe but not another similarly sized fella wearing totally different colours to himself. That's just ridiculous.
As i said, it was still a howler. But the time between Collins turning from facing his own goal to him playing the pass was less than a second, I dont think its ridiculous to suggest that he was hidden from his peripheral vision for that half a second. I'm not particularly sticking up for Collins, i just think it was a clever bit of thinking from Cunha.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't particularly good for us, but at the same time he didn't actually play any worse than Kilman did pre-JL. In the end Dawson rescued us by splitting up that awful partnership.

Terrible planning by Lage and Sellars to stick together two young, slow, physically unimposing centre-backs and little wonder that we struggled so badly.

I have always wondered what lead Brentford to sign him though - and not cheaply either. I was under the impression that they were one of those clubs solely guided by metrics in the transfer market. The stats for Collins surely cannot have been good though... or was this a matter of statistics painting a fully different picture to what anyone actually regularly watching him would have said?

Probably had really high tackling stats, which was probably something to do with the old one of every second touch being a tackle!

Lawndog

Reaction score
Kev Doyle, Dave Jones the midfielder, and Ryan Bennett yes probably the most arrogant players Iv met also. Like they see us fans as peasants, no conversation. Just didn’t like interacting really. Fine but at least try and fake it surely

Hahnemann and Matt Murray on the other hand lovely blokes, so was Surman
Can concur about Hahnemann........used to maintain his garden when he lived in Lower Penn......great guy, lovely family!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can concur about Hahnemann........used to maintain his garden when he lived in Lower Penn......great guy, lovely family!
Genuinely top bloke, said he follows the Seattle sounders in MLS. Why I asked him no idea. Then he was rattling how he used to watch them.

The flying the squad prank to Newcastle I think it was hilarious. Still quite interactive on his insta too.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
How come all you lot meet all these players. I’ve only ever met John Richards, bully and a few random players who were in the grapevine back in the 90’s. :)

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thinking back, I can recall being quite irked that Collins was brought in to replace Coady and/or Saiss, and when his habitual "clanger per match" program set in early last season, I was irate at Lage for jeopardizing the club's future with such a poor choice of replacement.

Of course, Bruno lost his job as a result, and thankfully Julen rectified the situation with the recruitment of Dawson.

If Collins had continued with us last year, I'm convinced we'd be stuck in the Chump right now. With Brentford starting to slip down the pecking order, we could have a successor to Roger "The Relegator" Johnson in the works, thankfully no longer on our payroll ...

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
A hah Lawndog, all is now clear.

:cool:
Thinking back, I can recall being quite irked that Collins was brought in to replace Coady and/or Saiss, and when his habitual "clanger per match" program set in early last season, I was irate at Lage for jeopardizing the club's future with such a poor choice of replacement.

Of course, Bruno lost his job as a result, and thankfully Julen rectified the situation with the recruitment of Dawson.

If Collins had continued with us last year, I'm convinced we'd be stuck in the Chump right now. With Brentford starting to slip down the pecking order, we could have a successor to Roger "The Relegator" Johnson in the works, thankfully no longer on our payroll ...
Nothing against the lad BUT a contact within Mol told me that even as a 21 year old Collins was incredibly arrogant. Did not listen to advice from very senior pros or coaches. He knew best. Unless he changes, will have more nights like Wednesday…

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't particularly good for us, but at the same time he didn't actually play any worse than Kilman did pre-JL. In the end Dawson rescued us by splitting up that awful partnership.

Terrible planning by Lage and Sellars to stick together two young, slow, physically unimposing centre-backs and little wonder that we struggled so badly.

I have always wondered what lead Brentford to sign him though - and not cheaply either. I was under the impression that they were one of those clubs solely guided by metrics in the transfer market. The stats for Collins surely cannot have been good though... or was this a matter of statistics painting a fully different picture to what anyone actually regularly watching him would have said?
In fairness we wanted Dawson in summer 2022 and it fell through last minute. The Kilman Collins partnership was a bit of a disaster.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Surely inevitable.... Perhaps we shouldn't have been so keen to laugh! Still time for him to give us another....

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, I think people booed in jest when he was announced as the scorer of the first goal. He didn't get booed when he touched the ball.

Sure he scored their third offside goal aswell??

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Done absolutely nothing to deserve stick from our fans

He respected the fans when he was with us and had since he left
Agreed. Seems a good guy all around. Has been very respectful since he left and in this run of games we've had against he seems to have been playing the role of peacemaker in different clashes around the pitch. He's a decent human being but I'm glad we got the money back we paid for him.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Glad he's got some praise after last night. Considering his nightmare in the league game, the stick he's got for absolutely no reason, the fact that we can all see he was sold for financial and not football reasons, why anyone would want to boo him is beyond me. Didn't celebrate his goal, made a special effort to give a thumbs up and clap the South Bank and the rest of the stadium at the end. Also put in an excellent overall performance.

Seems like a thoroughly good guy and wish him all the best (apart from against us obviously).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The booing was braindead last night by a bunch of idiots.

When he was here he was one of the few who always went and fronted up after heavy losses and always clapped the fans. He did absolutely nothing wrong in terms of attitude and the manner in how he left so the boos were stupid, not quite as stupid as the Jota boos but that's a different conversation.

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
Good pro for us, didn't ask to leave, refused to celebrate the goal, interacted with us in the SB several times and got nothing but applause from the three of us which he reciprocated at the end of the game. I've mentioned it before but the SB attracts a strange mix of imposters selling their season tickets (or not taking the cup tickets) and "new" football fans who are simply doing an impression of what they think a football supporter is. I knew the jig was up when we booed Robbie Keane playing for Villa and its just getting worse.

If they wore the shirt, gave their all and behaved like a pro then you've earned respect. If you act like a nob and celebrate like a prat with your fingers in your ears, you dont.

Back
Top Bottom