Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did we last sign someone portuguese for a lower price? And what does it have to do with peoples desire to sign an up and coming English player?

How do you know he’s unlikely to get into our team? Again you seem stuck on the player he was a couple of seasons ago. Is there much difference between the championship and the Portuguese top division?
Do you actually support Wolves or just trolling?

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Everton aren't paying £25m plus for one player, they're restricted financially. Take a look over on their forum.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton aren't paying £25m plus for one player, they're restricted financially. Take a look over on their forum.
To be fair, it’s very much an Everton thing to do (even with limited finances). Other priorities, blow most of their budget on a player they potentially have to pay over the odds for because the club they’re buying from doesn’t necessarily have to sell cheap.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would snap anyone's hands off for £20m +
I really would.

This feels like the "peak value" Traore moment and yet it is off a season in the Championship, whereas with Traore it was actually in the top flight.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would snap anyone's hands off for £20m +
I really would.

This feels like the "peak value" Traore moment and yet it is off a season in the Championship, whereas with Traore it was actually in the top flight.

A bit like how Jota hit peak value at the age of 22.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit like how Jota hit peak value at the age of 22.
Jota proved over a number of seasons he was good enough for the PL though. Hence why a top side like Liverpool came in and once they did, that is the end of the matter.

I see no similarities with the MGW situation there to be honest.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota proved over a number of seasons he was good enough for the PL though. Hence why a top side like Liverpool came in and once they did, that is the end of the matter.

I see no similarities with the MGW situation there to be honest.

His age.

He's had 2 very good seasons in a row (except injuries) and is clearly improving.

And the major issue with Traore was letting his contract run out.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the main plan is to play 343 then I’d probably sell for £25m, if the plan is 4231 then I’d want to keep him.

That’s not to say he can’t play in the 343, I absolutely think he can; but ideally you have someone with a bit more pace that can go past players one v one.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did we last sign someone portuguese for a lower price? And what does it have to do with peoples desire to sign an up and coming English player?

How do you know he’s unlikely to get into our team? Again you seem stuck on the player he was a couple of seasons ago. Is there much difference between the championship and the Portuguese top division?
Last season, Sa and Chiquinho

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If the main plan is to play 343 then I’d probably sell for £25m, if the plan is 4231 then I’d want to keep him.

That’s not to say he can’t play in the 343, I absolutely think he can; but ideally you have someone with a bit more pace that can go past players one v one.
Yeah fair assessment, my thought would be you'd almost give him a free role and get Neto nearer Raul perhaps. More of a 3 5 2 with MGW advanced rather than basically 3 sitters we've played in the past

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Having seen the myriad of positions he shone in for Sheffield United last season, I think he's adaptable enough to play in most formations for us.

Right side of the front 3 in a 343.
Middle of the 3 in a 4231.
Right side of the front 3 or in the 3 man CM in a 433.
The 1 in a 3412.
Part of the 3 man CM or a second striker in a 352.

I even think he could work really well as a false 9/withdrawn CF/whatever you want to call it. Similar to the positions Firmino takes up for Liverpool. Something like this.....

Sa

RB---CB---CB---LB

CM--CM--CM

MGW
RF---------LF​

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah fair assessment, my thought would be you'd almost give him a free role and get Neto nearer Raul perhaps. More of a 3 5 2 with MGW advanced rather than basically 3 sitters we've played in the past
He beat plenty a man 1v1 with flair and trickery for SU

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about you answer the questions, or does someone having a different opinion to you mean they don’t support the club?
I'm trying to figure out who's alt account he is, he reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s interesting that yesterday we had solid news of a bid for MGW and then a few hours later solid news of us buying Collins from Burnley and the lad from Chile which would total up to a very similar fee.
so my take is that these transfers are all linked and MGW is as good as gone
Shame though as I could see him kicking on next season but if he has made his mind up he wants out then fine sell him Wolves also have to look at it from a business point, if he didn’t perform for us next season there is no way we would get close to 25/30 Million for him next summer

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He just has an intelligence to get through the lines we don't have other than Podence who hasn't got the option to play in a midfield 3 imo. £30M should be his value, it should also show him we value him highly

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I appreciate it’s all rumours but if the clubs linked with him such as Everton and Palace are true then their scouts clearly see something and we shouldn’t be looking at bolstering a side that we should deem as competition. Especially with the extra places on the bench.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Everton were sailing so close to the FFP wind how have they got the money to spend 20mill+ on MGW? I know they've let a few go and that's wages off the books but they still have all those years of losses behind them to include in the 3 year rolling assessment

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what happens if he has a fantastic season and that 20mil becomes 60?

It’s a gamble either way. Asymmetric, with a higher potential growth in value vs loss of value, which is perhaps why Wolves are seeking 30m+

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Everton were sailing so close to the FFP wind how have they got the money to spend 20mill+ on MGW? I know they've let a few go and that's wages off the books but they still have all those years of losses behind them to include in the 3 year rolling assessment
I believe siggurdson getting off the books, richarlison money coming in for last years not this years figures.

And they are looking to offer staggered payments over multiple years 3/4

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I heard they need to sign off any signing with PL at the moment, perhaps Gordon deal further along than reported? Rumoured to be £40M fee I believe which would be nearly £90M in player sales one a high earner as well as Tosun/Delph who were somehow high earners off the wage bill (although Tarkowski should be high earner as well, and will flop hard imo).

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard they need to sign off any signing with PL at the moment, perhaps Gordon deal further along than reported? Rumoured to be £40M fee I believe which would be nearly £90M in player sales one a high earner as well as Tosun/Delph who were somehow high earners off the wage bill (although Tarkowski should be high earner as well, and will flop hard imo).

40 million for Gordon! Christ we should hold out for more for MGW

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is overrated and a massive cheat (gets away with being branded it due to colour of his passport) but performed well in the Prem tbf
I know plenty of Everton season ticket holders who were happy for Richarlison to go if it meant they could keep hold of Gordon

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season, Sa and Chiquinho

Forgive me but I believe the guy was talking about the Jota/Neves type deals. Sa wasn't necessarily cheap, we paid his market value. Chiquinho was a prospect signing, like Toti the year or so before. Worth a punt at a few mill but in no way representative of our main transfer policy which since promotion has seen us shell out large fees for Fabio, Podence, Neto/Jordao, Semedo and if you want to go non portuguese, Raul and Jonny both came for significant fees. So the idea we are getting favours from Mendes or cut price deals out of Portugal doesn't ring true.

As for MGW, he could easily do what Trincao did for us last season and more, plus he's homegrown

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I appreciate it’s all rumours but if the clubs linked with him such as Everton and Palace are true then their scouts clearly see something and we shouldn’t be looking at bolstering a side that we should deem as competition. Especially with the extra places on the bench.
Absolutely, I've been frothing at the mouth since we sent him out on loan last season and I'll be shouting for the managers head on a plate if we sell him on this season. Best young talent to come through our academy in over a decade and we release him without ever seeing what an excellent player he is. If it does happen I guess it clears the decks for the 'fans/manager' to turn on Cundle or whoever next comes through from the Academy.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what happens if he has a fantastic season and that 20mil becomes 60?
Equally he could perform similarly as to what he has done for us, flattering to decieve in my opinion and could end up being a fantastic bit of business for us. While he ends up spending another year out on loan in the Championship

None of us know that obviously to be true.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For sure but he would just run down his contract like traore and be worthless.
Stick a 20% sell on clause to protect ourselves.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a league below

Is there really much difference between the Championship and some of Europes leagues?

Honestly if the guy was called Gibbs-Whitenho and played for Boavista or Estoril some on here would be all over it, but because he's english and we're used to seeing him, no matter how much hes improved and developed it'll never be enough.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its really down to the player
We have offered a new contract,Lage wants him to stay,he will play most weeks,but still he baulks at it
You cant give the guarantees he wants no club would,and if he sees a future away from us then its best to let him go
We are obviously putting a £30 million price tag on him to keep him here, but if he goes for that then so be it, good business all round as long as we get a quality replcement in

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there really much difference between the Championship and some of Europes leagues?

Honestly if the guy was called Gibbs-Whitenho and played for Boavista or Estoril some on here would be all over it, but because he's english and we're used to seeing him, no matter how much hes improved and developed it'll never be enough.
Totally agree with this !! We are stuck in an age where any academy graduate has to be the finished article like Rooney or Keane were , truth is this is very rare and most players don’t start to hit their ceiling until 22/23 , certain fans rave about players in our under 23s yet don’t see how Morgan has had 2 good seasons in men’s football all Beit at champ level , need to forget what we saw from him when he was literally a baby and get behind the lad because there’s a very good chance he’s come of age now …

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
alli care about is this lad is on that plane to spain, if i see his face going up some ladders into a plane etc. Then im confident hes not going.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only if all three of them could sop giving the ball away when they have it.

Are you not bored of Wolves playing safe all the time? Give me a few players who try stuff and lose it any day of the week.

Dull as dishwater since we sold Adama. Morgan will have a real go at attacking teams and playing through balls, flicks round the corner etc.

Used to have this argument in the Adama thread all the time but the amount of people that seem to demand perfection from every player, perfect accuracy of passing, goals, assists etc. but can’t wrap their head around the fact they support Wolves and not Man City.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you not bored of Wolves playing safe all the time? Give me a few players who try stuff and lose it any day of the week.

Dull as dishwater since we sold Adama. Morgan will have a real go at attacking teams and playing through balls, flicks round the corner etc.

Used to have this argument in the Adama thread all the time but the amount of people that seem to demand perfection from every player, perfect accuracy of passing, goals, assists etc. but can’t wrap their head around the fact they support Wolves and not Man City.

Most of molineux have a nose bleed when podence tries a trick and it doesn't come off.

Back
Top Bottom