Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Everton would have bid unless they had got the nod from Gibbs-White's representatives that he'd be open for a move. This makes it less likely he'll sign a new contract imo, or he wants to use Everton to get a better offer from Wolves.

Off course he’ll use it to his advantage and try and get a better deal.

Personally I’d see Everton as a step down. They haven’t exactly set the world light for seasons and I don’t rate Lampard as a manager.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps if all the season ticket holders give the club another £100, we can stop this madness.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep going back to the opinion that if he’d just had the season he has for Sheffield United and was actually their player, and we were in a race to sign him along with Everton for £20-25m we’d be really excited about the prospect of getting him. Young, English U21 who has just torn it up in the Championship - especially having just lost Chiquinho for 6 months.

I think it’s madness we’re considering selling him when you look at our squad, even if he’s been largely average for us in the past.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a player on the up, you don't sell people in that situation, especially home grown ones.

All those years of patiently developing him, sending him out on loan, waiting till he's ready to be a fully fledged Premier League player, shouldn't even be a debate, he stays. You think Everton would sell Anthony Gordon to us? Not a chance.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep going back to the opinion that if he’d just had the season he has for Sheffield United and was actually their player, and we were in a race to sign him along with Everton for £20-25m we’d be really excited about the prospect of getting him. Young, English U21 who has just torn it up in the Championship - especially having just lost Chiquinho for 6 months.

I think it’s madness we’re considering selling him when you look at our squad, even if he’s been largely average for us in the past.
It's only folk on here considering selling him

Noise out of the club seems to be we're intent on keeping him

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know what position he played in the friendly the other day? I think I saw we played a 433 was he one of the midfield 3 or out on the wing?

If we could bag someone like Nunes or Paqueta as a starter and a young south american like Charly Alcaraz as back up along with MGW and Moutinho we would have some really good options to choose from there with 3 very creative young options and Moutinho for when we need to calm things down and control a game.

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
Neves
MGW/Moutinho - Nunes/Alcaraz
RW - ST - LW

(Or Paqueta for Nunes)

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are reports that MGW wants the Everton move they are coming back with an improved bid.

I don't want to see him go, but anywhere close to £30m and good sell on and I can see them reinvest the money. It could make the difference in other areas of the pitch. Maybe you can push the boat out for that better striker or central midfielder.

I do expect him to go.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are reports that MGW wants the Everton move they are coming back with an improved bid.

I don't want to see him go, but anywhere close to £30m and good sell on and I can see them reinvest the money. It could make the difference in other areas of the pitch. Maybe you can push the boat out for that better striker or central midfielder.

I do expect him to go.
Reports from who/where ?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I do expect him to go.
Sadly, I think he'll go too.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I do expect him to go.
where you getting the info on wanting Everton move.. I think it would be a bad move for him.. given lage is completely admiring and loving him up. he could be number 1 man this year

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think that article is *******s as broja far more likely to turn out for west ham and Gallagher is going nowhere

You may be right mate, but I saw the article and thought it was worth mentioning.

If they do come back with an acceptable offer i do think he will go.

I don't think we would have planned / budgeted for £25m plus from MGW so it may help them secure a better player. Maybe Collins is an upgrade on what they were planning to do given £20m+ on a centre back is a lot for a club that is meant to be skint and with plans for a top midfielder and backup striker.

We will know in a few weeks.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a player on the up, you don't sell people in that situation, especially home grown ones.

All those years of patiently developing him, sending him out on loan, waiting till he's ready to be a fully fledged Premier League player, shouldn't even be a debate, he stays. You think Everton would sell Anthony Gordon to us? Not a chance.
Yeah, they would for the right price. But seriously, who would want him? He has a turn of pace right now, his touch is OK but his decision making and delivery of set pieces is really poor. That said, Everton fans think he's the next Maradona which shows how far their standards have fallen.

If MGW wants to go, let him. Let's get as much as we can and wish him luck. We haven't really missed him over the last couple of seasons and we have better players.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, they would for the right price. But seriously, who would want him? He has a turn of pace right now, his touch is OK but his decision making and delivery of set pieces is really poor. That said, Everton fans think he's the next Maradona which shows how far their standards have fallen.

If MGW wants to go, let him. Let's get as much as we can and wish him luck. We haven't really missed him over the last couple of seasons and we have better players.

Well of course we haven’t missed him the last few seasons, but we’re not equating this to the MGW of 2 years ago. The point keeps being made that if he wasn’t already our player and we’d seen the season and a half he’d just had with Swansea and Sheff U we’d have been desperate to sign him and see him add something to our team.

So the idea you’d let him go to a rival now he’s a ready made player because he wasn’t that good 2 years ago is nonsensical

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well of course we haven’t missed him the last few seasons, but we’re not equating this to the MGW of 2 years ago. The point keeps being made that if he wasn’t already our player and we’d seen the season and a half he’d just had with Swansea and Sheff U we’d have been desperate to sign him and see him add something to our team.

So the idea you’d let him go to a rival now he’s a ready made player because he wasn’t that good 2 years ago is nonsensical
Maybe you missed out on the bit where we've generally been signing Portuguese talent for lower prices?

The idea of making 30M for a player who hasn't been getting into our side and is unlikely to do so, seems fine to me.

Sorry, I don't get the MGW love in on the back of a decent season at a lower level. Let me qualify that, I'd be happy for him to stay and force his way into the side but if he can't do that, or in the opinion of people better placed than me to form that opinion, then life moves on and he has to be sold.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe you missed out on the bit where we've generally been signing Portuguese talent for lower prices?

The idea of making 30M for a player who hasn't been getting into our side and is unlikely to do so, seems fine to me.

Sorry, I don't get the MGW love in on the back of a decent season at a lower level. Let me qualify that, I'd be happy for him to stay and force his way into the side but if he can't do that, or in the opinion of people better placed than me to form that opinion, then life moves on and he has to be sold.

When did we last sign someone portuguese for a lower price? And what does it have to do with peoples desire to sign an up and coming English player?

How do you know he’s unlikely to get into our team? Again you seem stuck on the player he was a couple of seasons ago. Is there much difference between the championship and the Portuguese top division?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s a few players around the same age who’ve had similar seasons in terms of output and would probably be half, maybe even a third of the prices being talked about for MGW.

I think the lad at Bristol was being linked for £10m before his injury.

Shame we couldn’t get Carvalho from the championship though.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a few players around the same age who’ve had similar seasons in terms of output and would probably be half, maybe even a third of the prices being talked about for MGW.

I think the lad at Bristol was being linked for £10m before his injury.

Shame we couldn’t get Carvalho from the championship though.

The lad at Forest (Johnson I think?? He’s just signed a new deal and is now in the PL.

Carvalho of Fulham has signed for Liverpool.

I can’t think of many others in the same category assists and goals wise under 23.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The lad at Forest (Johnson I think?? He’s just signed a new deal and is now in the PL.

Carvalho of Fulham has signed for Liverpool.

I can’t think of many others in the same category assists and goals wise under 23.
Think Carvalho was free agent with that £5M fee to ward off tribunal as well

Believe Forest rejected north of 20 for Johnson in Jan

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you name them?
Semenyo, Ben Brereton, Brennan Johnson, Willock, Elias Chair, Lewis Potter, Jaidon Anthony.

Have left those that are predominately centre forwards out though even though MGW played as one quite a bit, you could add another 2-3 then.

I like MGW and think there’s a real player there (needs to find his best position though) who I think will make the step up but it isn’t clear if he really wants to be here and the sums are now potentially more than £25m.

The statement posed was we’d be excited we’re we paying that for him from the championship after the season he’s had, I wouldn’t be for any of the above names.

I said before £25m would make him second only to Watkins, £30m would put him level, as the record signing direct from championship.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semenyo, Ben Brereton, Brennan Johnson, Willock, Elias Chair, Lewis Potter, Jaidon Anthony.

Have left those that are predominately centre forwards out though even though MGW played as one quite a bit, you could add another 2-3 then.

Lewis Potter is going for 20m mgw based on what he has done compared to potter is worth 30m imo

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Brereton has 1 year left on his deal and is predominantly a CF.

Lewis Potter had 15 goals + assists in 46 games and went for £16M + addons.

MGW had 22 g+a in 37 games.

Chair had 14 in 39 games

Willock 18 in 35 games

Anthony 15 in 46 games

Johnson Forest rejected over £20M in January for. No chance you'd get him for £30M off them now

Semenyo had an amazing year, the only one particularly statistically similar to MGW aside from perhaps Willock but no one has actually bid for him or any of the others other than Johnson who Forest laughed at £20M for and Lewis-Potter who was far inferior and went for ~£20M.

Why aren't team going for these cheaper options who are as good as him then? Especially as buying off a championship club far easier.

You've just decided those players would be cheaper to bash one of our players. Pretty odd.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brereton has 1 year left on his deal and is predominantly a CF.

Lewis Potter had 15 goals + assists in 46 games and went for £16M + addons.

MGW had 22 g+a in 37 games.

Chair had 14 in 39 games

Willock 18 in 35 games

Anthony 15 in 46 games

Johnson Forest rejected over £20M in January for. No chance you'd get him for £30M off them now

Semenyo had an amazing year, the only one particularly statistically similar to MGW aside from perhaps Willock but no one has actually bid for him or any of the others other than Johnson who Forest laughed at £20M for and Lewis-Potter who was far inferior and went for ~£20M.

Why aren't team going for these cheaper options who are as good as him then? Especially as buying off a championship club far easier.

You've just decided those players would be cheaper to bash one of our players. Pretty odd.
It was in response to we’d all be excited if we were paying £25m+ for some who’s just had the season he’s had in the championship.

Given that there’s a few who’ve had similar seasons to him, if we were signing pretty much any of those for £25-30m this summer would I be excited? I’d be questioning whether that’s a good use of it to be honest and hoping we’d be looking elsewhere.

Olise had as good as any mentioned and was 19, he only went for £8m last summer.

If someone offers £30m, for MGW it’s something to consider imv and wouldn’t be madness in response to the original post for the reasons cited since.

I’m not bashing him, even pointed out he has talent and will probably make the step up.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It was in response to we’d all be excited if we were paying £25m+ for some who’s just had the season he’s had in the championship.

Given that there’s a few who’ve had similar seasons to him, if we were signing pretty much any of those for £25-30m this summer would I be excited? I’d be questioning whether that’s a good use of it to be honest and hoping we’d be looking elsewhere.

Olise had as good as any mentioned and was 19, he only went for £8m last summer.

If someone offers £30m, for MGW it’s something to consider imv and wouldn’t be madness in response to the original post for the reasons cited since.

I’m not bashing him, even pointed out he has talent and will probably make the step up.
Olise had a release clause and no I'd not be excited about any of them for £25M because they weren't nearly as good as him last year.

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Does anyone know what position he played in the friendly the other day? I think I saw we played a 433 was he one of the midfield 3 or out on the wing?

If we could bag someone like Nunes or Paqueta as a starter and a young south american like Charly Alcaraz as back up along with MGW and Moutinho we would have some really good options to choose from there with 3 very creative young options and Moutinho for when we need to calm things down and control a game.

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
Neves
MGW/Moutinho - Nunes/Alcaraz
RW - ST - LW

(Or Paqueta for Nunes)
Take paqueta/nunes out if you want neves in that lineup. No way we are we having a net spend >€30-€40m. Also I don't suspect they'd want to join us

Back
Top Bottom