Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tried to bring up the two previous threads but they're locked, this can be merged if there's another one, but can't see it.

Anyway, think Gibbs-White deserves a bit of praise, and I say that as someone who has criticised him a lot in the past.

His recent substitute appearances have been positive, even against Burnley, and last night he was progressive. His quick thinking should've resulted in a 3 on 1 counter-attack before Dean decided to cheat.

He actually looks like he wants to make a difference and is trying to take this opportunity.

I'd be happy going with MGW & Vitinha for the attack-minded midfielders next season. I think Vitinha is ahead of him but MGW can still have a role to play but both need to play centrally, not get pushed out wide.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tried to bring up the two previous threads but they're locked, this can be merged if there's another one, but can't see it.

Anyway, think Gibbs-White deserves a bit of praise, and I say that as someone who has criticised him a lot in the past.

His recent substitute appearances have been positive, even against Burnley, and last night he was progressive. His quick thinking should've resulted in a 3 on 1 counter-attack before Dean decided to cheat.

He actually looks like he wants to make a difference and is trying to take this opportunity.

I'd be happy going with MGW & Vitinha for the attack-minded midfielders next season. I think Vitinha is ahead of him but MGW can still have a role to play but both need to play centrally, not get pushed out wide.

Totally agree with this. I want to see him start on Sunday as a no10, which is his best position.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for Morgan as his development has severely stalled by a mix of injuries, circumstance and a bit of silly off-field stuff.

For me he has the same issue Dele Alli has in so far that no one really knows his best position. He's been shoved out wide at times, or up front and neither suit him. He's also not a traditional Central midfield player. He needs a sort of floating number 10 role which up until recently we havent played with.

Going forward I hope we play a 4231 formation and he plays in the middle of the "three" as that suits him. He's still a boy and for me it would be crazy to give up on him yet.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have been interesting had he played instead of Traore, the way RAN was getting forward and overlapping MGW might have linked up nicely with him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for Morgan as his development has severely stalled by a mix of injuries, circumstance and a bit of silly off-field stuff.

For me he has the same issue Dele Alli has in so far that no one really knows his best position. He's been shoved out wide at times, or up front and neither suit him. He's also not a traditional Central midfield player. He needs a sort of floating number 10 role which up until recently we havent played with.

Going forward I hope we play a 4231 formation and he plays in the middle of the "three" as that suits him. He's still a boy and for me it would be crazy to give up on him yet.
I must admit that until recently l had started to give up on him, based on his apparent attitude. However, that has been spot on in his last few appearances and l remain convinced that there is a player there, so...

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing about as well as he can in his recent sub appearances. Was good last night, strong in the tackle, won a couple of fouls, if the ref wasn't being a goon and didn't pull it back for no reason he would've been instrumental in setting up a three on one attack.

Real shame he wasn't able to stay with Swansea all season because it would've done wonders for him.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was terrific when he came on. Went looking for the ball, looked for the quick forward pass. Excellent recovery tackle skidding through the sloosh, the kind of bite and commitment he hasn't always shown. He still has a massive opportunity here if he wants it.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree.

4-2-3-1 is the way to go for most games next season and we have MGW, Vitinha and Podence for that role, with Podence also capable of playing out wide.

That's good variety and depth, which is how it should be.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must admit that until recently l had started to give up on him, based on his apparent attitude. However, that has been spot on in his last few appearances and l remain convinced that there is a player there, so...
Ive said before I think a lot of the perceived "attitude" issues were blown out of proportion. Ive met MGW a handful of times in a professional capacity and hes a really down to earth lad. I certainly know barring the covid breach the club has had no issues with his attitude at all.

I just think hes been a victim of tactics. Im a big lover of Nuno but one thing you get from his teams is that "shape" with and without the ball is important, where I think to see the best of Morgan he needs a bit more of a free role.

Whether he does it with us or elsewhere, I still think he'll have a good premier league career.

T

TheConcourse

Would have been interesting had he played instead of Traore, the way RAN was getting forward and overlapping MGW might have linked up nicely with him.
This. I want more intelligent players in our wide attacking positions. So done with seeing wingers beat 8 men with pace.

We moved the ball so much better last night at times. Far from the finished product, but promising signs.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio up top on Sunday with MGW floating just behind in no 10 role. Adama and possibly Podence either side and Vitinha and Neves in central midfield.

Dont want to drop Otasowie but want to see what MGW can do as a no10 and still feel Podence can have a good impact at Wolves staring with the game on Sunday.

That line up in midfield and attack would offer plenty of fluidity and pace both out wide and through the middle in my opinion. I would drop Dendoncker.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Completely agree with the OP. Has looked bright, motivated and positive in his last few cameo appearances.

I’m still personally unsure as to whether he will make it with us in the long-term. However, to give him a chance of doing that, he absolutely needs a full season of playing regularly in a more central midfield position. If there is a chance of him going to somewhere like Swansea again on loan next year, I would be all for that.

We messed him around massively this year.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree.

4-2-3-1 is the way to go for most games next season and we have MGW, Vitinha and Podence for that role, with Podence also capable of playing out wide.

That's good variety and depth, which is how it should be.
Its a formation that suits both how nuno wants to play and also the players we have. A mix of Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker (hopefully Ottasowie long term) all have the awareness to be solid in the "two" and then it allows the players you mention to be more free inside the "three".

Moutinho doesnt have age on his side and Dendoncker isnt the greatest player you'll ever see but in that formation the "two" is all about being positionally aware and getting the ball and pushing it forward into the more advanced players. Neither Fernandinho or Rodri are the most dynamic of players, but them sitting in allows KDB, Foden et al to go and express themselves.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Afraid we can't drop Traore, much as I would like to give the kids more game time, he is in the shop window. Needs to be sold.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him, but he's still in the same situation he has been in for the last two years. He needs regular starts. I think for the sake of his own career he should move this summer, unless he and the club are happy for another year long loan next season.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he has the potential to be a regular starter in a top half PL team. We could end up with a player worth 5 times as much as we'd get for him if we sold him this summer. If we go to four at the back he will fit in much better.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Gibbs-White alot of people have made there minds up on him and that won't change...

He is clearly a talented footballer who has struggled to show it on a consistent basis.. Been unlucky with his injury this season when he was doing well at Swansea and when he has played here been mainly stuck out on the wing which hasn't helped him.

Could still have a future here if we continue with a four at the back and he continues to make an impact of the bench in his natural position which he has been doing..

Big few weeks for him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Gibbs-White alot of people have made there minds up on him and that won't change...

He is clearly a talented footballer who has struggled to show it on a consistent basis.. Been unlucky with his injury this season when he was doing well at Swansea and when he has played here been mainly stuck out on the wing which hasn't helped him.

Could still have a future here if we continue with a four at the back and he continues to make an impact of the bench in his natural position which he has been doing..

Big few weeks for him.
I agree with the first sentence of that wholeheartedly. I dont know if its all football fans or indeed just ours but we seem to have an element who once their mind is made up, thats it.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he has the potential to be a regular starter in a top half PL team. We could end up with a player worth 5 times as much as we'd get for him if we sold him this summer. If we go to four at the back he will fit in much better.
I was going to absolutely call you out on the first point... but then I remembered Tom Davies, Xhaka, Iwobi ... my days.

MGW needs to keep the attitude and application of his last few cameos. Don't try and overdo it with all the fancy tricks and flicks all the time. Play with intelligence. Prove us wrong, Morgan. Do it for yourself and Wolves :)

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has done well in his recent sub appearances for me, has energy and looks to get things moving. Assuming similar injury situations next weekend I would play MGW instead of Donk, but put Otasowie next to Neves and play MGW as one of the 3 attacking midfielders behind Silva.

D

Deleted member 11332

Has done well in his recent sub appearances for me, has energy and looks to get things moving. Assuming similar injury situations next weekend I would play MGW instead of Donk, but put Otasowie next to Neves and play MGW as one of the 3 attacking midfielders behind Silva.

But that again just ends up with him or vitinha wide man, even tucked in, I think we'd either need to put vitinha deeper or play a 433 without a 10 but who plays wide left then? Just stick Corbeaunu in, what harm can that do and it gives us balance.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Big few weeks for him.

And let's not forget that the lad's only 21 and still learning his trade.
To cast him aside now would be foolish imho.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that again just ends up with him or vitinha wide man, even tucked in, I think we'd either need to put vitinha deeper or play a 433 without a 10 but who plays wide left then? Just stick Corbeaunu in, what harm can that do and it gives us balance.
Could play a 4-4-2 diamond.

Neves at the base, Vitinha and Otasowie either side, MGW in the 10.

Silva and Traore up top.

It puts all of them other than Traore in probably their best positions currently.

And even with Traore, Nuno seems desperate to make him more versatile so no better time than now to play him centrally and try and coach it in to him. Not saying it’ll work but not much to lose.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him a lot and agree with the OP. I think he'll need to move on for his own good though: he's not had good luck or enough chances imo, but nonetheless hasn't shown enough to be a consistent starter with our current squad, let alone if we make improvements. Assuming we sign Vitinha permanently and Otasowie gets a loan you'd be looking at MGW competing with:

-Podence and Vitinha for number 10
-Traore, Podence, Neto for the wide roles.

Assuming all fit and on form, he's last in the queue for each of those, I think. (I'm assuming Nuno won't play him in the sort of role Neves played last night, though I think he could do that. It's not even clear he'd get a chance at number 10).

At his age he desperately needs a full season of football. I'd love to see him loaned to a progressive side lower down the table (Norwich if Buendia or Cantwell goes? Swansea if they come up?), but suspect it'll be the Champ again.

That might change if we sell someone or don't sign Vitinha, of course, but I don't think the latter's likely.

D

Deleted member 11332

I like him a lot and agree with the OP. I think he'll need to move on for his own good though: he's not had good luck or enough chances imo, but nonetheless hasn't shown enough to be a consistent starter with our current squad, let alone if we make improvements. Assuming we sign Vitinha permanently and Otasowie gets a loan you'd be looking at MGW competing with:

-Podence and Vitinha for number 10
-Traore, Podence, Neto for the wide roles.

Assuming all fit and on form, he's last in the queue for each of those, I think. (I'm assuming Nuno won't play him in the sort of role Neves played last night, though I think he could do that. It's not even clear he'd get a chance at number 10).

At his age he desperately needs a full season of football. I'd love to see him loaned to a progressive side lower down the table (Norwich if Buendia or Cantwell goes? Swansea if they come up?), but suspect it'll be the Champ again.

That might change if we sell someone or don't sign Vitinha, of course, but I don't think the latter's likely.

We didn't play a 10 yesterday and don't think we will going forward. So he'd be competing with Vitinha primarily as he's the only player he's similar to in our squad.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't play a 10 yesterday and don't think we will going forward. So he'd be competing with Vitinha primarily as he's the only player he's similar to in our squad.
Yeah I thought that as I clicked send. Vitinha and Neves both more advanced CMs. Vitinha played more directly though - lots of direct passing through middle and runs into box, whereas Neves largely stayed outside box and spread play to the wings. It's that Vitinha role that MGW might fit well, I think - less so the Neves one.

D

Deleted member 11332

Yeah I thought that as I clicked send. Vitinha and Neves both more advanced CMs. Vitinha played more directly though - lots of direct passing through middle and runs into box, whereas Neves largely stayed outside box and spread play to the wings. It's that Vitinha role that MGW might fit well, I think - less so the Neves one.

Agreed and I don't think we have another player in our squad bar those two I'd want doing that role, maybe Moutinho a a couple of years ago.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed and I don't think we have another player in our squad bar those two I'd want doing that role, maybe Moutinho a a couple of years ago.
Podence? I'm not quite sure whether he'd have discipline if he had to drop deeper (Vitinha impressed me in that regard last night - he held onto the ball incredibly well under pressure around halfway a few times).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we're going to upgrade and we need to sell to buy then for me we may get a decent price for MGW. I'd let him go as I never see him as automatic starter for us, just a bit part player tbh. He's had numerous chances and where someone like Foden has kicked on MGW has stood still.

D

Deleted member 11332

Podence? I'm not quite sure whether he'd have discipline if he had to drop deeper (Vitinha impressed me in that regard last night - he held onto the ball incredibly well under pressure around halfway a few times).

Just don't think he has the skillset to do that, you are asking him to do the defensive side and I just don't think he would be up to it. I want him wide left and driving at defenders near the box like he did early this season when he was really effective.

D

Deleted member 11332

I think if we're going to upgrade and we need to sell to buy then for me we may get a decent price for MGW. I'd let him go as I never see him as automatic starter for us, just a bit part player tbh. He's had numerous chances and where someone like Foden has kicked on MGW has stood still.

Hardly any chances, he's barely started for us. He's often chucked on out of position with 10 mins to go. It might be we just don't play a formation that will get the best from him but to say he's had numerous chances isn't right, never had a run in our team.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watched him closely last night and he did well when he came on, as he did against Fulham. Vitinha seized his chance last night and then some. MGW will need to similarly grasp the bull by the horns if he start over the next 4 games and I kind of hope he does. It's make or break time for him at Wolves. Kilman (harshly I think) may be in the same boat too.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No point in selling our youngsters until they have reached peak transfer value if that's our plan.

Foden is going to be a world class talent and was streets ahead of MGW at England youth level.

I know it feels like he has stood still but he has already shown he can play consistently at Champ level by 20 years of age. An age where Vitinha and OO have barely got a professional league game between them.

MGW at Swansea was not the same player as in the Championship with Wolves at 17.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we made a big mistake recalling him from his loan. He needs to play every week in his actual position. He was doing well at Swansea and we have pulled him back to warm the bench again.

If we sell him on without giving him a proper chance to progress, I think it will come back to haunt us.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched him closely last night and he did well when he came on, as he did against Fulham. Vitinha seized his chance last night and then some. MGW will need to similarly grasp the bull by the horns if he start over the next 4 games and I kind of hope he does. It's make or break time for him at Wolves. Kilman (harshly I think) may be in the same boat too.

Kilman is 3 years older and shouldn't be put in the same boat. MGW could atleast have another injury free loan in him.

Back
Top Bottom