Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely this. If I assume the aim of Fosun/Lage is to make us an established top 6 side then players like Hwang, Marcal, Hoever are nowhere near good enough. Hwang may be ok as a back up to bring on occasionally but we must do better.

Double "absolutely this". :) We seem to be building a squad for mid table safety - at best. Take the old-gold glasses off and players like those you mention, no other club in the league is craving them, are they? We are in mid-table, with 2 or 3 players the big 6 are after - the rest are pretty much par for the course at this level and no different to the players turning out for the likes of Palace, Brighton, Southampton etc each week. Actually, looking at Palace at the weekend, certainly the 11 they had out on the day (we are still struggling with the injury factor), I'd rate them better than ours. A more balanced team, never mind Bruno, it's Viera who is underachieving with that team! As is Rogers at Leicester, for example.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang optimises the absolute bipolar nature of this forum at times. Neither was he world beater when he came nor is he some championship player now he’s finding his feet after a spell out.

I wonder if Neto will get the same level of abuse if he’s not up to speed by the end of the month?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang optimises the absolute bipolar nature of this forum at times. Neither was he world beater when he came nor is he some championship player now he’s finding his feet after a spell out.

I wonder if Neto will get the same level of abuse if he’s not up to speed by the end of the month?
Of course he won't. What a stupid comparison.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course he won't. What a stupid comparison.
Why’s it a stupid comparison? Are you genuinely saying fans won’t turn on him after 6 plus games if he isn’t showing anything? Are you new here?!?!?! Time and patience is always lacking round here. Do you think Hwang would be getting pelters if we’d won the last three??

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why’s it a stupid comparison? Are you genuinely saying fans won’t turn on him after 6 plus games if he isn’t showing anything? Are you new here?!?!?! Time and patience is always lacking round here. Do you think Hwang would be getting pelters if we’d won the last three??
I can’t talk for everyone else here but I genuinely cannot see people going in on Neto this season. The teams style of play will and should be the target if the season falls apart.

With regards to Hwang - after the Newcastle game I was massively optimistic but when you look closer you realise that he doesn’t actually influence games in any way with his general performance level. Is he a wide man? I doubt it and feel he would be useful alongside Raul or Fabio in a 2 but I’m really struggling to see him as a big asset for us going forward.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t talk for everyone else here but I genuinely cannot see people going in on Neto this season. The teams style of play will and should be the target if the season falls apart.

With regards to Hwang - after the Newcastle game I was massively optimistic but when you look closer you realise that he doesn’t actually influence games in any way with his general performance level. Is he a wide man? I doubt it and feel he would be useful alongside Raul or Fabio in a 2 but I’m really struggling to see him as a big asset for us going forward.
I don’t think Hwang is brilliant but I also don’t think he deserves the stick he’s getting. Maybe it’s the formation but do any of the wide forwards look great currently?

I agree about him playing in a 2. He’s quick and direct but currently he (as well as the other wide forwards) are being asked to go past too many players to be effective. He’ll beat one man but he’s not the sort to go past two or three but I’d say the same with Podence, Trincao and Neto (though the latter is more likely to when fully fit).

For me it’s 352 be brave with the wing backs and push them much higher and play with Silva or Jimenez and one playing off them.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think Hwang is brilliant but I also don’t think he deserves the stick he’s getting. Maybe it’s the formation but do any of the wide forwards look great currently?

I agree about him playing in a 2. He’s quick and direct but currently he (as well as the other wide forwards) are being asked to go past too many players to be effective. He’ll beat one man but he’s not the sort to go past two or three but I’d say the same with Podence, Trincao and Neto (though the latter is more likely to when fully fit).

For me it’s 352 be brave with the wing backs and push them much higher and play with Silva or Jimenez and one playing off them.
Agree with 352 from now on but push the wing backs on and 1 or 2 of the midfield taking gambles too.

It means we’ve got some of our best attacking talent on the bench and not on the pitch but that’s just going to have to be the case until we get some more physicality in the spine.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with 352 from now on but push the wing backs on and 1 or 2 of the midfield taking gambles too.

It means we’ve got some of our best attacking talent on the bench and not on the pitch but that’s just going to have to be the case until we get some more physicality in the spine.
They definitely need to be more dynamic in midfield.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hope you're not comparing Hwang, a bang average player, to Neto? Ridiculous. If you really believe players like Hwang are the way forward for our club fair enough. But we've been bang average and below for 40 years now; I'd hope to see better in the transfer market.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had won the last 3 I can guarantee you it would have had nothing to do with Hwang!

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is definitely someone who would play better playing off a striker in a 2 than being out on the wing, I think Jimenez and Silva both look like strikers who would benefit playing as a 2 as well, when we play our 523 the striker is always so isolated and feeding off scraps if we could move to a sort of 442 I think we would see several of our attackers improve drastically.

Think it would also get the best out of the likes of Podence, Neto, Trincao, MGW & Chiquinho as they would have more options forward to pass to rather than hitting a dead end and then us passing it all the way back to Jose Sa

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are beginning to question if Raul will ever be as he was, and I think you are nearly right re Neto....not sure that fans will turn on him so soon, but I'm sure we will be questioning if he will ever be the player he was if we don't see some signs of it after relatively few games.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is definitely someone who would play better playing off a striker in a 2 than being out on the wing, I think Jimenez and Silva both look like strikers who would benefit playing as a 2 as well, when we play our 523 the striker is always so isolated and feeding off scraps if we could move to a sort of 442 I think we would see several of our attackers improve drastically.

Think it would also get the best out of the likes of Podence, Neto, Trincao, MGW & Chiquinho as they would have more options forward to pass to rather than hitting a dead end and then us passing it all the way back to Jose Sa
More and more we see Raul dropping deep and wide. That surely needs sorting.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More and more we see Raul dropping deep and wide. That surely needs sorting.

Probably because we got up and relied on Jota to run half the pitch with the ball and create everything and then he left...so we placed the burden on Traore to do it and now he's left and none of our remaining attackers (a fully firing Neto excluded) are capable of doing it, so Raul is dropping back to try and get the ball much like Kane does when Spurs are playing poorly.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair there was an experience and an age gap with those two.
At 26 Hwang is a player in his prime , regarding age and history.
Neto, Silva , Hwang and Jimenez , it’s not a potent attacking force , but Hwang was at 26 supposed to give the younger ones time to develop.
Watching him pay , he is not good enough imo for a primary role in the Premier League .
His history is that he scored 2 goals in 40 matches in Germany
His 5 goals came against teams that could well be Championship teams. We need better.
We all hope things might change but the facts look ominous .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could put prime Aguero in our team at the moment and he would look rubbish. It's difficult to judge any of our forwards as they see so little of the ball with our negative mindset.
But look at Hwangs goal scoring history on Wikipedia.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably because we got up and relied on Jota to run half the pitch with the ball and create everything and then he left...so we placed the burden on Traore to do it and now he's left and none of our remaining attackers (a fully firing Neto excluded) are capable of doing it, so Raul is dropping back to try and get the ball much like Kane does when Spurs are playing poorly.
I agree. However, it needs sorting. We end up trying to cross the ball to an empty penalty area as far as our players are concerned.
I was also not impressed in the West Ham game by Fabio continually helping their players to their feet.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do feel the purchase of Hwang was worrying. Neto was injured, Silva was lightweight and Jimenez was returning from injury.
We buy a chap who scored twice in his last 40 matches.
Very worrying about Fosun's intent. We NEEDED a man to lead the line.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do feel the purchase of Hwang was worrying. Neto was injured, Silva was lightweight and Jimenez was returning from injury.
We buy a chap who scored twice in his last 40 matches.
Very worrying about Fosun's intent. We NEEDED a man to lead the line.
His purchase is indeed worrying. The news today about Traore is worrying. Possibly buying Tricao is very worrying. The future of Jimenez is also worrying. Lage is coming out and saying one thing about what he wants but the evidence from what Jeff/Fosun are possibly doing is at odds with this imo.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is fine as a squad player for a mid-table or top half premier league team, which is what we are.
I suppose that's the million dollar question Jade; you're right we are a mid-level Prem team but is that what Fosun want us to be? I'm sure Lage is aiming higher and I think he could take us higher but if Hwang is the level of player we will be buying then we will continue as a mid-level side.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I suppose that's the million dollar question Jade; you're right we are a mid-level Prem team but is that what Fosun want us to be? I'm sure Lage is aiming higher and I think he could take us higher but if Hwang is the level of player we will be buying then we will continue as a mid-level side.
Arsenal bring Nketiah off the bench, West Ham bring on Yarmolenko. They arent much better

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being unhappy with a players form or in some cases ability is not "turning on them" .

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with parts of that statement.

I see Hwang as OK, he might get better.
The thing that clouded everyone's opinion was that he came in and scored a few goals pretty quickly. They weren't great goals but goals cloud people's judgement.

The situation reminds me of when we had the goal machine, Leo Bonatini. That guy was garbage he just caught lightning at that time. They were coming off his ear, his **** and his eyebrow and he was lauded as the second coming of Bully.

I remember pointing out his axis of spawn/****ness right in the middle of his purple patch and folk said I was talking crap... The rest is history.

"Thoughts tumbled around my head like trainers in a washing machine - needless to say I had the last laugh"

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am trying to like him because I'm a Wolves fan and I've always supported our players, except Jamie o bloody Hara, but I just can't see anything about Hwang that shows why we bought him. He comes across as a nice bloke, but just a very average player. Bringing him on last night and not fabio, who was great in his cameo appearance, was one of the reasons we lost. Have I got this wrong, because I just cannot see anything about him that makes him good for our club

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am trying to like him because I'm a Wolves fan and I've always supported our players, except Jamie o bloody Hara, but I just can't see anything about Hwang that shows why we bought him. He comes across as a nice bloke, but just a very average player. Bringing him on last night and not fabio, who was great in his cameo appearance, was one of the reasons we lost. Have I got this wrong, because I just cannot see anything about him that makes him good for our club
He works hard that’s his only attribute. Ball retention is poor, doesn’t contribute anything and is always anonymous on the pitch. Still trying to figure out how he earned the nickname ‘The bull’ too

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of the sort of player we would have signed in our previous attempts in this league, under Jones and McCarthy.

Bang average squad filler for me.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really don't think he was one of the reasons we lost.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm another one. £14m seems daft to me. Not sure he'd be a guaranteed starter for Burnley or Watford. I'm disappointed by his physical presence as well. In fact, to say we haven't had one consistently good forward for the whole season, 8th is bloody good.

If we sign Trincao for £25m a total of £39m on him and Hwang will look like absolute madness to me

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure that Shi just bought him because he thinks there is marketing potential there. He knocked in a couple of goals early doors and we already allocated our January budget for his purchase.

He's a player you expect Watford or Fulham just to buy to stock up their squad on deadline day without any thought behind it. He's never good enough for a PL club that wants to play in Europe. I couldn't believe he came on last night ahead of Silva and Chiquinho.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we 100% locked in to making the signing permanent, or can we still bail?

Back
Top Bottom