Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hoddle didnt break me... however McCarthy might

PL jaspa888

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps we should stay away ala Watford, Stoke, Palace etc and then the team would thrive

I know you are being ironic, but Tommy Docherty often says that managers, players, chairmen, etc have come and gone, but the one constant has been our fan base. So its our fault :mad::eek:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too much time on my hands ...

Statistically speaking, February was the worst month for percentage of losses (50% of league games in Feb were lost - against Watford and Stoke, unfortuntely).

December was the worst month for winning games - only one out of seven league games was won (representing a measly 14% success rate for that month).

Up to the end of march we had a 27.5% loss rate. Unfortunately, our draw rate (35%) was almost equal to our win rate (37.5%).

The trend in April, so far, of two draws, a defeat and a victory in reminiscent of several previous months.

It's not just December that's cost us ... it's too many drawn games across the season.

Again.

F

Flitwick Wolf

Statistically speaking, February was the worst month for percentage of losses (50% of league games in Feb were lost - against Watford and Stoke, unfortuntely).

December was the worst month for winning games - only one out of seven league games was won (representing a measly 14% success rate for that month).

Up to the end of march we had a 27.5% loss rate. Unfortunately, our draw rate (35%) was almost equal to our win rate (37.5%).

The trend in April, so far, of two draws, a defeat and a victory in reminiscent of several previous months.

It's not just December that's cost us ... it's too many drawn games across the season.

Again.

Our points per game ratio since the new year has been up there with the top teams in this league. Although low in comparision to other teams in other seasons, our 2008 record is one of the best in this league this season.

This may not be good enough for some fans but it would be good enough to be vying for automatic promotion.

Thus it has not been our 2008 record, it was Decembers.

Of course, had we been winning more games throughout the season then we would be higher but that is pretty obvious.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If all fans who hated the manager and never shown any glimpse of giving him a chance from even before his first day in charge all $$$ off, then that would make me for one very happy.

McCarthy may have his downfalls and I wasnt exactly thrilled when he was appointed, but if you cant give him any credit for any of his signings and not even admit to enjoying one match under him, then not only is the credibility of your argument shot to pieces, but you also just sound like a deluded worn out old man, just like the twisted thread starter.

Yes you pay your money, your money is needed, but that kind of "support" isn't.

My post said nothing about his signings and I also said I had not enjoyed one match this season. I did not say I had not enjoyed one match under him. I suggest that you read posts before responding with ill conceived tripe.

S

SaleWolf

Mccarthy will never bring this club more success than Jones did.

Ok, he might take us up this year, next year the year after but does anyone seriously think he will keep us in the Premier League??

The guy completely embarrased Sunderland in the Prem and signed players like Andy Gray and John Stead ffs. He had little money i know but still!!

Mccarthy will always sign players who 'put a shift in'. Do we really want that as a club? Will we not need some players with real class in the Prem should we get there who might not jump into every single challenge? I think we will.

People will say, well we've brought Kightly, Jarvis etc. Well, Kites is unique, he's one of the best players i have ever seen at Molineux (spotted by Taff Evans by the way not MM). Not convincing enough.

Mccarthy has done enough this season with signings, tactics, stubborness, favouritism, decision making to turn me against him. He won't get me back. I will never think he is the right man for this club.

If we don't make the play-offs he must go. There is simply no excuse for not making them. Last season is gone, forget it. We owe him nothing if he fails.

I agree with some of the things he's done, ie, bring young talent into the club but he's also brought some awful dross here. Collins, D Ward, Potter, Gibson, Kyle, Elliott, Clapham, Jemal Johnson.

L

long ball man

LBM - your name says it all. Mick's your man!

Indeed as was Buckley, Cullis, McGarry, Turner, Taylor and Jones.

Wolves ARE a long ball team; always have been and always will be which is why McGhee and Hoddle were such divisive appointments. Whenever we have done anything half-decent throughout our entire history it has been when playing 'long ball' whether you mean the media's $$$$$$$ised long punt to a centre forward for a flick on which is one variant but only one or wing to wing a la the 50's or long passes down the channels. I love watching this kind of stuff.

L

long ball man

Infact whilst I am about it the term 'long ball' is almost always used prejoratively whenever a team plays badly. I say reclaim 'long ball' as a term to describe a legitimate and over the years hugely successful range of playing methods.

C

Cardiff Wolf

Wolves ARE a long ball team; always have been and always will be which is why McGhee and Hoddle were such divisive appointments. Whenever we have done anything half-decent throughout our entire history it has been when playing 'long ball' whether you mean the media's $$$$$$ long punt to a centre forward for a flick on which is one variant but only one or wing to wing a la the 50's or long passes down the channels. I love watching this kind of stuff.

While in complete agreement about our style of play over the years, the term long ball has been stolen by hopeful hoof teams such as Wimbledon and Watford over more recent years, not exactly our cup of tea either!

D

Dewsburywolf

Infact whilst I am about it the term 'long ball' is almost always used prejoratively whenever a team plays badly. I say reclaim 'long ball' as a term to describe a legitimate and over the years hugely successful range of playing methods.

Is a 45 yard punt by Steven Gerrard described as playing longball or is it a crossfield pass?

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score

Ok, he might take us up this year, next year the year after but does anyone seriously think he will keep us in the Premier League??

The guy completely embarrased Sunderland in the Prem and signed players like Andy Gray and John Stead ffs. He had little money i know but still!!

Mccarthy will always sign players who 'put a shift in'. Do we really want that as a club? Will we not need some players with real class in the Prem should we get there who might not jump into every single challenge? I think we will.

People will say, well we've brought Kightly, Jarvis etc. Well, Kites is unique, he's one of the best players i have ever seen at Molineux (spotted by Taff Evans by the way not MM). Not convincing enough.

Mccarthy has done enough this season with signings, tactics, stubborness, favouritism, decision making to turn me against him. He won't get me back. I will never think he is the right man for this club.

If we don't make the play-offs he must go. There is simply no excuse for not making them. Last season is gone, forget it. We owe him nothing if he fails.
Very well said. If we go up, which is very doubtful, he should be sacked immediately- we then may stand a chance of staying up.

J

jonesey85

The team that started last season at Plymouth away :

Murray
Clyde
Craddock
Breen
Naylor
Ricketts
Henry
O'Connor
Clapham
Cort
Bothroyd

Hardly a relegation team was it ?
Actually I thought the midfield looked lightweight here but then you look at it recently......

Nope, its not a relegation team.

It wouldve been without the signings MM made though.

Although I feel that Breen is pretty much finished at this level, last season his experience was invaluable.

I think a lot of the problem MM has is players like Bothroyd, Henry, Breen were brought in to get us out of the $$$$, and they did that.

We are now in limbo, is the next step to find a new boss, or is the next step to let these players and management actually spend some length of time together. I would like to see an Arsenal type spirit to be honest developed over a long amount of time. (before they all started going mental, oh and without the kissing).

L

long ball man

Oh dear Dewsbury you have fallen victim to media manipulation..as I posted before longball is now used as a derogatory term such as hoofball. It actually describes a range of playing methods whose main aim is to get the ball forward in as few passes as possible, not necessarily in the air and not necessarily up the middle of the field. Since time immerorial most goals are scored with v few passes...long ball is the dominant style of play and rightly so.

J

jonesey85

I agree with some of the things he's done, ie, bring young talent into the club but he's also brought some awful dross here. Collins, D Ward, Potter, Gibson, Kyle, Elliott, Clapham, Jemal Johnson.

Thats a retarded quote. You mean because MM's scout spotted Kights, that therefore lifts any credit off Mick?
Its MMs job to co-ordinate the management and scouting team, its MM who choses who he listens to, and its MM who picks the team.

If something good has come to fruition from this, then why shouldnt MM, the ultimate co-ordinator of how the footballing side of things is run, get any credit?

Hand on heart now, if Kightly was a pile of $$$$, would you honestly turn around and say " well I can forgive Mick for that, after all he was Taff Evan's spot"? No, you would turn around and say MM has the ultimate responsibility, and rightly so.

Actually, while were on the subject of Hoddle,BILD, do you honestly think dearest Glenda wouldve even been ***** to
A) Look past his own nose and listen to his scout
B) Go and watch the guy
C) Stick him in first team training
and
D) Play the guy

If you think Hoddle wouldve gone anywhere past A) and you think Kightly wouldve been favoured over, say, Anderton, then I fear for you.

This is why MM and GH are worlds apart.

The team have underachieved, and if MM is sacked then that will be the sole reason.

His attitude and commitment have never been brought into question, and will not even be close to becoming a factor for him being given the chop.

And if anybody thinks Glenns treatment of players was so much better than Micks, go and have a word with Vio Ganea, a man who was a great servant to the club and got treated like $$$$ by him. A man who did more for us than Freddy has anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Langdale Wolf

Thats a retarded quote. You mean because MM's scout spotted Kights, that therefore lifts any credit off Mick?
Its MMs job to co-ordinate the management and scouting team, its MM who choses who he listens to, and its MM who picks the team.

If something good has come to fruition from this, then why shouldnt MM, the ultimate co-ordinator of how the footballing side of things is run, get any credit?

Hand on heart now, if Kightly was a pile of $$$$, would you honestly turn around and say " well I can forgive Mick for that, after all he was Taff Evan's spot"? No, you would turn around and say MM has the ultimate responsibility, and rightly so.

Actually, while were on the subject of Hoddle,BILD, do you honestly think dearest Glenda wouldve even been ***** to
A) Look past his own nose and listen to his scout
B) Go and watch the guy
C) Stick him in first team training
and
D) Play the guy

If you think Hoddle wouldve gone anywhere past A) and you think Kightly wouldve been favoured over, say, Anderton, then I fear for you.

This is why MM and GH are worlds apart.

The team have underachieved, and if MM is sacked then that will be the sole reason.

His attitude and commitment have never been brought into question, and will not even be close to becoming a factor for him being given the chop.

And if anybody thinks Glenns treatment of players was so much better than Micks, go and have a word with Vio Ganea, a man who was a great servant to the club and got treated like $$$$ by him. A man who did more for us than Freddy has anyway.

I have stayed away from posting on this ridiculous thread, but jonesey - that is a brilliant post.

VERY well said.

sjonnie

Reaction score
I have stayed away from posting on this ridiculous thread, but jonesey - that is a brilliant post.

VERY well said.

However - it does contain ridiculous inaccuracies.

For example:
By his own admission McCarthy had never seen Kightly play but was prepared to take a chance at 25K.

The hypothetical cristicsm of Hoddle favouring Anderton over Kightly can be applied in reality to McCarthy's favouritism, i.e. Elliot over Eastwood.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

VERY well said.

A ridiculous thread with 137 replies??

If you or that dipstick Jonesey had read my original post, I NEVER actually say that Hoddle was better for us than McCarthy, at any point.

The point I was trying to get across was that yes, Hoddle was bad, but I came back. McCarthy has proved this year that he can only operate as an under-dog manager, which we werent this season & as a result we have looked almost as awful as we did under Hoddle.

Think of the love of life cheating on you with another bloke, first time you might forgive her, but a second time?? Some couldnt even forgive once, look how many season ticket holders we lost after Hoddle. The same will happen next season if we stick with McCarthy, with just the 'doormats' left happy clapping the likes of Collins & Elliott.

Pack your bags!! And that goes for you too Mick.

L

Langdale Wolf

If you or that dipstick Jonesey had read my original post, I NEVER actually say that Hoddle was better for us than McCarthy, at any point.

The point I was trying to get across was that yes, Hoddle was bad, but I came back. McCarthy has proved this year that he can only operate as an under-dog manager, which we werent this season & as a result we have looked almost as awful as we did under Hoddle.

Think of the love of life cheating on you with another bloke, first time you might forgive her, but a second time?? Some couldnt even forgive once, look how many season ticket holders we lost after Hoddle. The same will happen next season if we stick with McCarthy, with just the 'doormats' left happy clapping the likes of Collins & Elliott.

I never said you did. I just think your original post was a bit OTT that's all, but that is merely my opinion, I respect yours even if I disagree with it.

At the end of the day, no-one is forcing you to go, it's your money, and you're entitled not to go if you've had enough.

But overall - yes - I think it's a ridiculous thread. Just my opinion, like. I did quite enjoy the metaphor in your last post though.

D

Deleted member 3518

Too young to have seen Buckley's Wolves but seen the rest and I see no comparison whatsoever between the use of the long ball in a fast attacking style of play and the negative tactics adopted by MM this season.

J

jonesey85

However - it does contain ridiculous inaccuracies.

For example:
By his own admission McCarthy had never seen Kightly play but was prepared to take a chance at 25K.

Good, best of luck to him, no other manager did, MM listened to his scout, if he didnt, Kights would be playing for Man U's reserves, full credit.

The hypothetical cristicsm of Hoddle favouring Anderton over Kightly can be applied in reality to McCarthy's favouritism, i.e. Elliot over Eastwood.

My point is that MM listened to his scout, and then took the initiative to work with Michael Kightly. If you think Hoddle would have done this and even thought about putting MK in the squad, like I say, I fear for you.

J

jonesey85

If you backpedal anymore you'll hit your head off the goalpost.

R

Reach For The Sky

Ive been a season ticket holder now for 12 years.

After DISMAL seasons with McGhee, Lee & even Hoddle I still came back for more for my love of WWFC.

This season, I havent renewed on the early bird, for the first time since I care to remember, solely because of McCarthy.

I hate him. I hate his arrogance. I hate his style of football. I hate the way he always has someone to blame other than himself. I simply cannot stand him.

Even if by some miracle we sneaked into the play offs & by some even bigger miracle we got promotion I would still feel the same & still want him gone.

If McCarthy is still here come summer, I really think I will find something else to do with my Saturdays next season.

Sure, what difference is the loss of one season ticket holder gonna make?? Probably none. But by me getting another season ticket with that think **** still in charge says in a round about way that I back him being there, which is a million miles away from the truth.

Anyone feel the same??

Please Morgan, GET RID OF MCCARTHY.

I know someone that thought about it and just stopped going to Wolves games, maybe not as much of an attention seeker as you.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves ARE a long ball team; always have been and always will be which is why McGhee and Hoddle were such divisive appointments. Whenever we have done anything half-decent throughout our entire history it has been when playing 'long ball' whether you mean the media's $$$$$$ long punt to a centre forward for a flick on which is one variant but only one or wing to wing a la the 50's or long passes down the channels. I love watching this kind of stuff.

Hear Hear !

That's the stuff I drool over, reversing the play rapidly and accurately from flank to flank and down the channels. It's when Wimbledon and Taylor's Watford gave "Route One" some limited respectability that 'long ball' became a pejorative term. Let's reclaim it!

btw Can we start to call centre backs 'centre backs' again, not bleeding centre halves :- Craddock and Breen? they're not midfielders!

F

Florida Wolfey

Hear Hear !

That's the stuff I drool over, reversing the play rapidly and accurately from flank to flank and down the channels. It's when Wimbledon and Taylor's Watford gave "Route One" some limited respectability that 'long ball' became a pejorative term. Let's reclaim it!

The long ball game and term became more widely accepted due to a report from one of the top FA coaches who researched the topic and gave stats supporting the theory of getting the ball in the oppositions area as quickly as possible. Statistically the report showed that more goals are scored inside the penalty area so getting the ball there as quickly as possible would lead to more opportunities and more goals being scored.

Graham Taylor obviously thought a great deal about this and employed it to great effect with his first Watford team. I'll never forget that FA Cup drubbing they gave us years ago.

That said, football has moved on and whilst it might be interesting to know the results of a more up to date report it is widely accepted that "route one" football is not the best way to achieve success. Brazil, France, MUFC, Arsenal and most of the top teams don't use it although they do occassionally use the long pass if it is available.

Personally I absolutely hate and detest it when goalkeepers whack the ball up the pitch instead of rolling it to a teammate to build play. It drives me beserk...and those that accuse us of long ball tactics should remember back to Parkes and Parkin when he would more often than not come back for the ball. Yes, Wolves teams have used long ball and the long pass a lot but I wouldn't say we have relied upon it.

For me, the best football I have seen from a Wolves side was under Barnwell / Barker and we didn't really use wingers to any great effect IMO. Instead we looked for a quicker ball and that involved more movement from the team. This was Hoddle's deficiency or should I say the players deficiency in his time here. Hoddle wanted to play a more effective game but the players he had at his disposal really didn't have the brains to pass and move.

And that really sums the game up for me. Shankly's/Paisley's Liverpool and Clough's Forest were fabulous teams and today we see that type of football from MUFC and Arsenal to great effect. Long passes have their place but a clever ball that can split a defence open is far more valuable.

R

Reach For The Sky

Do I give a **** what you think??

The feeling's mutual. Assuming it's the same person behind the user name, you have been doing the same thing for over 5 years that I can remember. Your most successful phase was the one where you kept going on about how you watched West Brom and they were so much better than Wolves.

West Brom are now undoubtedly a better team than Wolves, with a better manager. Do yourself a favour and go and watch them instead.

N

N. Herts Wolf

No such thing mate. Prove otherwise.

You cant.

Give me one GOOD reason why Barnsley Bloke should be here next season.

YOU CANT.

I sometimes wonder why people like you and woburn bother with football. Whilst there is some social benefit from allowing the game to be more inclusive, it's a sad state of affairs when limp-wristed $$$$$$s like you think you're part of it. All you can do is bleat and whinge and bitch. You'd be happier at a lloyd-webber show you nancy.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder why people like you and woburn bother with football. Whilst there is some social benefit from allowing the game to be more inclusive, it's a sad state of affairs when limp-wristed $$$$$ like you think you're part of it. All you can do is bleat and whinge and bitch. You'd be happier at a lloyd-webber show you nancy.
What a load of PC clap trap. The likes of BILD, Stewarton, myself and others would not be bleating as you put it if we had a decent manager in charge and things were moving forward. All I want is for Wolves to be successful but people like you will never realise this won't happen under McCarthy. If he is still here next season you and others like you can wallow in the mediocrity and happily clap together. Altogether now clap, clap.............

J

jonesey85

No such thing mate. Prove otherwise.

You cant.

Give me one GOOD reason why Barnsley Bloke should be here next season.

YOU CANT.

Prove what?

Are you losing the plot?

Why call him "Barnsley Bloke"? Its like you constantly want to remind us that he's northern for some reason!

I reckon you've got a load of Yorkshiremen underneath your patio.

Such an irrational hate.

I can see your starting to get $$$$ed off with people, but when you started a thread which states that you hate the wolves manager, what exactly were you after and what did you expect?

I have neither said he should be here next season, or that he shouldnt. I could give good reasons for him to be sacked, I could give good reasons for him to stay. Whichever decision the board chose will have good reasons imo (look back if you can be ***** to backread this thread). What I think is confusing most of us however is the personal hatred you continuously express.

"Do I give a **** what you think?? " BILD to Reach for the Sky

How can you say MM is arrogant when you say things like this to fellow posters?

On the same note, how can you say he is aggressive when you talk to other posters in this manner, and continuously express feelings of hatred?

He comes across as a lot less aggressive and arrogant than you. Infact myself, amongst a lot of other people happen to think that he is quite a nice bloke.

I think your problem is that you cant seperate sporting matters from personal matters and simply get the two mixed up. Constantly.

J

jonesey85

What a load of PC clap trap. The likes of BILD, Stewarton, myself and others would not be bleating as you put it if we had a decent manager in charge and things were moving forward. All I want is for Wolves to be successful but people like you will never realise this won't happen under McCarthy. If he is still here next season you and others like you can wallow in the mediocrity and happily clap together. Altogether now clap, clap.............

The bloke called you a nancy mate, I hardly think that you could class that as PC claptrap.

Sorry to call you on that one, Gaunty.

R

Reach For The Sky

What a load of PC clap trap. The likes of BILD, Stewarton, myself and others would not be bleating as you put it if we had a decent manager in charge and things were moving forward.

I wouldn't club yourself together with BILD, who has taken a contrary stance going back at least 5 years. If he really wants to stop going to games, why not just stop going? Why make an announcement on an internet forum? Moxey has always shown that he only cares what the majority of fans think, why would he be bothered if BILD gives up his season ticket?

J

jonesey85

WTF is that supposed to mean you retard?

Anything that the Sun newspaper dont agree with is deemed to be either PC clap trap, loony left wing, or similar.

I think thats whats happening here. Although it makes no sense!

N

N. Herts Wolf

The bloke called you a nancy mate, I hardly think that you could class that as PC claptrap.

Sorry to call you on that one, Gaunty.

Hilarious wasn't it? :D Obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was deliberately inflamatory but I never expected it to be called PC!!??:confused:
There's a distinct lack of mental agility from some of the posters on here.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WTF is that supposed to mean you retard?
Your inane remark about there being a "social benefit in making the game more inclusive". Jonesey, you make a good point about him calling me a nancy but I generally find that it is better to treat remarks like that with the disdane they deserve by not responding to them. Likewise to his childish name calling which is usually a sign of someone that cannot articulate their position. Reach for the Sky, I have my own opinions and don't specifically club myself together with anyone. I just happen to share BILD's view on the McCarthy situation and have not renewed on the early bird for similar reasons to him. If Ince were appointed tomorrow, I would renew tomorrow.

J

jonesey85

Hilarious wasn't it? :D Obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was deliberately inflamatory but I never expected it to be called PC!!??:confused:
There's a distinct lack of mental agility from some of the posters on here.

Well if thats his idea of PC, I would advise him never to work for the council!

J

jonesey85

Your inane remark about there being a "social benefit in making the game more inclusive". Jonesey, you make a good point about him calling me a nancy but I generally find that it is better to treat remarks like that with the disdane they deserve by not responding to them. Likewise to his childish name calling which is usually a sign of someone that cannot articulate their position. Reach for the Sky, I have my own opinions and don't specifically club myself together with anyone. I just happen to share BILD's view on the McCarthy situation and have not renewed on the early bird for similar reasons to him. If Ince were appointed tomorrow, I would renew tomorrow.

Whats inane about making the game more socially inclusive? I would argue that this would be quite a commercially beneficial factor from the club's point of view.

N

N. Herts Wolf

Your inane remark about there being a "social benefit in making the game more inclusive". Do you think this not the case then? Jonesey, you make a good point about him calling me a nancy but I generally find that it is better to treat remarks like that with the disdane they deserve by not responding to them. Likewise to his childish name calling which is usually a sign of someone that cannot articulate their position. Reach for the Sky, I have my own opinions and don't specifically club myself together with anyone. I just happen to share BILD's view on the McCarthy situation and have not renewed on the early bird for similar reasons to him. If Ince were appointed tomorrow, I would renew tomorrow.

Shame your efforts to not make yourself look such a $$$$ by biting on such an obvious wind-up have made you look an even bigger $$$$.

How long would you give Ince before you started calling for his head then Mr I want success tomorrow or I'm spitting my dummy out?

Back
Top Bottom