Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hoddle didnt break me... however McCarthy might

J

John

Eldest Son, Evolution, loyal to the last, even though he thought we were playing Cardiff on Saturday!!

Youngest, barely interested at all. Perhaps he is the only one of us that is normal, no special educational needs? Wait until he is 16, he will be a Wolves fan through and through.
That aimed at me?
If so, I hope he returns.
As him attending the games is extra access, I'm doubly gutted that he no longer wants to come.

J

jonesey85

OK....I keep hearing that we only had 9 players for start of the season ? If thats true please name them because i am sure we had more.....
OK some were out of contract but still training with the club.

MM did what he was paid for - Stablising (SP) he has done that...Now we need to move forward

If MM does go, I would imagine that this would be the reason for his dismissal, and to be honest I would have a hard job arguing against that.

However, I don't forsee his dismissal anytime in the near future. The club have been very keen to express this new culture of building for the long term and make a noise about it every time speculation arises.

That, coupled with the money MM was given in Jan (SEB could be the signing that saves the day) suggest to me that MM has another crack at the whip left.

Is MM gonna go? Well on the one hand, our short term aim (to avoid relegation last year and to stabilise) has been fulfilled so his job is done, and on the other hand, the club seem keen to stick it out this time and see how the giving a manager a few years to work with the kids approach comes off. All depends which way they look at it, not a decision I would like to make.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes all those strikers and a goal difference of '1' which will probably be negative by the end of the season

I think there in lies the crux of the issue. That fact alone is the biggest common denominator that will ultimately epitomise Hoddle's and McCarthy's reign at Molineux.

Whatever the subjective views concerning Hoddle v. McCarthy. The indisputable fact remains, they have both failed to deliver an adventurous style of football, and the embarrassing paucity of goals will ultimately condemn McCarthy as it did Hoddle.

B

Black Suit

That aimed at me?
If so, I hope he returns.
As him attending the games is extra access, I'm doubly gutted that he no longer wants to come.

No mate!?

We are not put on this earth to support a club, local though they may be, irrespective of the entertainment/expertise/professionalism/service thay provide.

Otherwise, the people would vote Labour all their lives.

Oh......... sh!!!te.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
both failed to deliver an adventurous style of football

Sorry, but I think this is yet another case of short memories at work. Yes, a lot of dross has been served up this season, but some of the play last season was absolutely thrilling to watch, even though the ball ended up in the stands more often than the goal. As alluded to elsewhere, having our most exciting player and playmaker injured for most of the season hasn't really helped with regards entertaining play.

J

jonesey85

Sorry, but I think this is yet another case of short memories at work. Yes, a lot of dross has been served up this season, but some of the play last season was absolutely thrilling to watch, even though the ball ended up in the stands more often than the goal. As alluded to elsewhere, having our most exciting player and playmaker injured for most of the season hasn't really helped with regards entertaining play.

Nor did losing the player who won CCC player of the year above a free scoring Kamara, Phillips and Koumas.

It's no coincidence that we went up with MM in goal, and reached a promising play off position last year only to have it all go south when ruled out on the eve of the game.

I still cant believe going into the ground that day and learning Murray had done his shoulder in training, I was livid and still am. Honestly what other club would have their (arguably) best player injured on the eve of the biggest match in years!
Those stripey $$$$$$$s sure do get some luck against us dingle folk!

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with all of that. I don't think it's been made enough of really, we've spent most of this season playing without (at least) £6m worth of talent - I can't think of any side in the league who wouldn't struggle under such circumstances.

J

John

As alluded to elsewhere, having our most exciting player and playmaker injured for most of the season hasn't really helped with regards entertaining play.
The style of play shouldn't have changed because we had a player out injured (although it has).

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Qiute right Muscat, but that fact alone makes you realise how reliant we became on one players creativity shouldering the burden of most of the team. I appreciate that Jones lost the plot in the end, but as someone else commented, Jones certainly delivered a team that could score goals in this division. look no further than the goals tally delivered from Ince et al, and then compare it to our current goal shy bunch.

J

jonesey85

I agree with all of that. I don't think it's been made enough of really, we've spent most of this season playing without (at least) £6m worth of talent - I can't think of any side in the league who wouldn't struggle under such circumstances.

Yes. And unlike at WHU where Curbs is under the cosh for buying crocks which is his own fault, MM had no reason to suggest that Kights would be injury prone (although from what I gather the situation is resolved (arent they always :rolleyes:)), and lets face it who wouldnt consider playing Matt Murray. Not many of us.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
An entirely accurate statement I think you'll find, SW. We had no money, no squad and apathy was oozing from every orifice at the club. Again, short memories from Wolves fans - we could very easily have gone down last season if not for Mick's sterling work.

Unfortunately I think that was MMs downfall, none of us expected anything last season, mid-table and we'd all have been happy, but he exceeded all of our expectatons. So Wolves fans being Wolves fans expected more this year, and unfortunately he hasn't delivered.

H

HazelGroveWolf

My eldest sons enthusiasm has never dampened, he has stated he will follow us if we were in league 2. My youngest son said he no longer wants to go and he won't have a season ticket next season as we don't score alot of goals. He is six and thats all the interest he has in football. His season ticket will not be renewed next year as he has only attended six games this season.
It is directly due to the style of football he has witnessed under Mick and previously Glenn.
If he had had the excitment of the DJ era he might have been hooked.

Your six year old has the level of understanding you suggest ? No chance.

C

cooper_J

Ive been a season ticket holder now for 12 years.

After DISMAL seasons with McGhee, Lee & even Hoddle I still came back for more for my love of WWFC.

This season, I havent renewed on the early bird, for the first time since I care to remember, solely because of McCarthy.

If you think the football served up under McCarthy is any worse than under Hoddle or Lee then I think you are past reasoned argument.

I honestly can't think for the life of me why anyone would compare the McCarthy era to that of Hoddle. Really BILD, is your memory so short? Do you not remember the mess he left us in?

I just can't fathom it to be honest. The two don't even compare, for all McCarthy's shortcomings at least he cares about this club, at least he is building for the future - Hoddle is the worst Wolves manager in contemporary history, no doubt about it.

I really just can't understand how the two can be compared.

J

John

Your six year old has the level of understanding you suggest ? No chance.
What level of understanding you $$$$ed up halfwit.
He wants to see goals because he likes the cheering and jumping up and down when we score.
Under Glenn and Mick we have not been scoring alot of goals, so he's board and doesn't want to come anymore.
It appears he's far smarter than you.

J

Jack

I fully agree that losing Kightly has been a massive blow, but football clubs lose their top players all the time. They either have strength in depth to replace them from within the squad or they go out and buy/loan someone. We got Darren Gibson...enough said!

As for losing Matt Murray, a blow but to say this has had a major impact on our season is doing Wayne a major disservice. He has been outstanding in ninety per cent of games and I struggle to remember more than two goals that could be directly attributed to a personal mistake.

Muscat makes some valid points, but the majority of them are about last seaon. I personally live for now and accept and am grateful that MM breathed new life into the club last year, although to say he saved us is pushing it to the extreme.

The problem is we have gone backwards; the football has been awful (some games have been as bad as under Hoddle - Leicester (H/A), Sheff Utd (H), Barnsley (A), Palace (H), Cardiff (FA Cup) and the signings he has made (save the odd exception) are not good enough to get us out of the league.

Add four embarrassing performances at the hands of the $$$$ and I'm sorry, but he hasn't got much momentum going for him moving into next season. Then again if we beat Cardiff;)

ROVERT47

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised BILD,ok you don't like the Manager and i have to agree it has been a poor season.
Having said that,surely the one thing we all have in common is that we are Wolves fans.
McCarthy will go sooner or later,someone else will try to bring success to the Club,if that person fails then the Club will try again.
No matter what though,we,the fans,will always be there for the boys in Gold and Black.

S

Stafford Wolf

Ive been a season ticket holder now for 12 years.

After DISMAL seasons with McGhee, Lee & even Hoddle I still came back for more for my love of WWFC.

This season, I havent renewed on the early bird, for the first time since I care to remember, solely because of McCarthy.

I hate him. I hate his arrogance. I hate his style of football. I hate the way he always has someone to blame other than himself. I simply cannot stand him.

Even if by some miracle we sneaked into the play offs & by some even bigger miracle we got promotion I would still feel the same & still want him gone.

If McCarthy is still here come summer, I really think I will find something else to do with my Saturdays next season.

Sure, what difference is the loss of one season ticket holder gonna make?? Probably none. But by me getting another season ticket with that think **** still in charge says in a round about way that I back him being there, which is a million miles away from the truth.

Anyone feel the same??

Please Morgan, GET RID OF MCCARTHY.

Yes, me and my mate have not yet renewed for similar reasons. The other being we have missed games this year due to work and therefore value for money is even worse....

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post, Jack, and I agree with most of it. Whether it was as easy as loaning another Kightly (we couldn't have bought one for less than £4m), I'm not so sure. We did have an ok replacement in the squad in Gobern, but sadly he's been injured too.

Basically, if Mick left tomorrow, we'd be in a much stronger position than when he left, with a talented, young squad who wear the shirt with pride. We have been victims of our own success, but comparing now to when Mick arrived - ignoring what's happened in between - I don't think we're that far from where I expected us to be. Certainly, I think the current vitriol directed at him is totally undeserved and I think he should get until at least November next season to 'finish' the job.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bild, My sentiments are very much the same as yours. I was gutted when McCarthy was appointed (over Ince) and nothing I have seen since has changed my view of him. Like you, I have not renewed on the early bird and nor has my son. Also like you, I don't like him and after years as a STH, I will not renew if McCarthy is still here because put simply, I have not enjoyed one game this season and could find other ways to spend close on £1,000 per year that I would enjoy. I also agree with you about Hoddle who, unlike McCarthy, had next to no money to spend and had to work, by and large, with what he inherited. I think Hoddle's biggest problem was trying to play a style of football that several of the team were not capable of (i.e. fast, fluent, pass and move) but on the days that it did come off (not many granted) it was a pleasure to watch. For what good it will do, I have also written to Morgan telling him it is unlikely that I will renew if McCarthy is still in charge.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you think the football served up under McCarthy is any worse than under Hoddle or Lee then I think you are past reasoned argument.

I honestly can't think for the life of me why anyone would compare the McCarthy era to that of Hoddle. Really BILD, is your memory so short? Do you not remember the mess he left us in?

I just can't fathom it to be honest. The two don't even compare, for all McCarthy's shortcomings at least he cares about this club, at least he is building for the future - Hoddle is the worst Wolves manager in contemporary history, no doubt about it.

I really just can't understand how the two can be compared.

Throughout his time with Wolves there was no money available for Hoddle to buy the players he wanted, although he astutely picked up Jackie Mac on a Bosman. Hoddle only left us in a mess because of the timing of his leaving. Because of the belt tightening at the club most of his best players had been sold, were available for transfer or were retiring and there was no money available to buy re-inforcements. Had Hoddle stayed, he would have been able to buy the players that he wanted this season (because of Morgan's money) and only then could a fair comparison be made between him and McCarthy. What we have now is very much McCarthy's team and too many of his players are in his image i.e. dull, unimaginative grafters.

D

Del Woppio

If your dislike for McCarthy is worth more than your love for Wolves I feel sorry for you. What you're doing is like me divorcing my wife because she doesn't make a particularly good curry.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If your dislike for McCarthy is worth more than your love for Wolves I feel sorry for you. What you're doing is like me divorcing my wife because she doesn't make a particularly good curry.
It is not just a personal dislike it is the dull, agriculural football he has played all season. I desperately want Wolves to succeed but just cannot see it happening all the time he is here. And as I said in my earlier post, the enjoyment quotient is close to zero.

E

Elephant Pyjamas

After the horror show of the last 3 games (yes Bristol away was just as poor)

No it wasn't we played well at Bristol, we would have won but for a poor refereeing decision. Don't adjust the facts to suit your argument. That's cheating! :)

E

Elephant Pyjamas

although he astutely picked up Jackie Mac on a Bosman.

Who was undoubtedly on good money and only played in about 40% of the games he should have through injury, overall he wasn't a good signing at all.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever takes over from McCarthy is going to have a hell of a lot of work to do. He will need a completely new defence and midfield for a start. Also he will be stuck with the dross on unjustified contracts brought in by TM. He won't have the luxury of a clean slate like McCarthy and the very rare chance of building his own squad from scratch. In fact unless TM gets a new club quickly we'll probably be stuck with a lot of 'em till their contracts run out.

E

Elephant Pyjamas

It is not just a personal dislike it is the dull, agriculural football he has played all season. I desperately want Wolves to succeed but just cannot see it happening all the time he is here. And as I said in my earlier post, the enjoyment quotient is close to zero.

I agree the performances have left alot to be desired this season, the footbal HAS been poor. But i feel that with Kightly and Jarvis both fit the quality of our football will improve no end.

The football we played last season was very good and very entertaining. The Wolves v Blues game at Molineux was one of the best games i'd seen at Molineux for years.

I hope beyond hope that MM can bring that positive football back next season, the addition of a decent centre half may help that!

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who was undoubtedly on good money and only played in about 40% of the games he should have through injury, overall he wasn't a good signing at all.
Hoddle could not know he would be injured. If we had had more players of Jackie Mac's class in recent years we would not be languishing in this division today.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree the performances have left alot to be desired this season, the footbal HAS been poor. But i feel that with Kightly and Jarvis both fit the quality of our football will improve no end.

The football we played last season was very good and very entertaining. The Wolves v Blues game at Molineux was one of the best games i'd seen at Molineux for years.

I hope beyond hope that MM can bring that positive football back next season, the addition of a decent centre half may help that!

I agree re this match and towards the end of the season we did play well but in the light of this year's fiasco, I have to believe that it was in spite of McCarthy rather than because of him. A key problem with McCarthy's approach is the intense work-rate and commitment which means that whenever we have 3 games in 8 or 10 days by the third game we are cream crackered and invariably lose. This was a good part of the reason we lost to the Albion in last year's play-offs i.e. we put so much into the home leg that we were running on empty in the second leg. We need to sign a bit of quality that let's the ball do the work but this is unlikely to happen all the time McCarthy is here as it seems at odds with his ideology.

O

OCD Wolf

How else is someone able to legitimately register their disapproval at the management, style of football, board etc. other than to 'vote with their feet'?
While people keep turning up, paying their money they will be seen as content with the dross that is being served up.

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't go then, at least then we won't have to endure your nonsensical rants and melodramatic "Mick has broken my will :(" outpourings.

Mick saved this club when it was on its knees. His treatment from certain sections of the support has been nothing short of disgraceful and I'm not surprised he's a bit miffed about it.

The team that started last season at Plymouth away :

Murray
Clyde
Craddock
Breen
Naylor
Ricketts
Henry
O'Connor
Clapham
Cort
Bothroyd

Hardly a relegation team was it ?
Actually I thought the midfield looked lightweight here but then you look at it recently......

E

Elephant Pyjamas

Hoddle could not know he would be injured. If we had had more players of Jackie Mac's class in recent years we would not be languishing in this division today.

Of course he couldn't have known.

But we didn't know Daley, Neil Masters, Adie Williams would be injured most of the time either. They were considered poor signings.

Macnamara though certainly an excellent player when he did play, he only played 29 games for Wolves in two seasons, on that basis he can't be considered a good signing, can he?

Regardless of the above, the team that Hoddle had was of a very high quality, Murray, Lescott, Naylor, Huddlestone, Aliadiere and Seoul are all now established Premierleague/Scottish Premierleague players (with the exception of Murray), throw Macnamara, Ince, Cort, Miller and Cameron into that mix it's criminal that we didn't get in the playoffs, let alone automatic with that squad!

The problem with Hoddle was motivation, the players lacked desire. Remember the cup game against United?? That was the most insipid Wolves performance I can remember seeing from a Wolves team, especially given that it was a game that we should have needed no motivation for.

People have very short memories if they think this MM era is as bad or worse than under Hoddle.

E

Elephant Pyjamas

I agree re this match and towards the end of the season we did play well but in the light of this year's fiasco, I have to believe that it was in spite of McCarthy rather than because of him. A key problem with McCarthy's approach is the intense work-rate and commitment which means that whenever we have 3 games in 8 or 10 days by the third game we are cream crackered and invariably lose. This was a good part of the reason we lost to the Albion in last year's play-offs i.e. we put so much into the home leg that we were running on empty in the second leg. We need to sign a bit of quality that let's the ball do the work but this is unlikely to happen all the time McCarthy is here as it seems at odds with his ideology.

Can't argue with any of that.

H

Hatch End Wolf

Hoddle's teams were all technique, no heart.

Mick's teams are all heart, no technique.

Neither policy will lead to success.

W

Welsh Y'am Y'am

MM comes nowhere near to the depths of despair that hung over Molineux in the latter stages of Hoddle's era.

The flat atmosphere against ipswich reminded me an awful lot of the wolves v watford game when we drew 1-1 near the end of hoddle's tenure (the one when frankowski well and truly ballsed up a 1-on-1 with their keeper).

The way the fans got on the players' backs was the same and the reason for this is a lot of the fans there have had to endure that turgid $$$$e week in week out. McCarthy this season is doing exactly what Hoddle did in his last season - turning fans away with boring, negative football.

Hoddle's gameplan was to keep the ball for as much of the game as possible. Unfortunately, there was never any end product and there would always be a lapse or two to leak a late goal.

McCarthy's gameplan is to play 'percentage' passes into the channels for the strikers to 'make something out of'. Otherwise known as 'hit and hope'. What this does, however, is provide the opposition with enough possession to always leave them a chance of getting back in the game. Even ipswich, who looked decidedly crap in general, still had enough of the ball to get into our box from time to time.

Also, just like Hoddle, McCarthy loves to think 1-0 is enough to win a game. The thing is, Mick, if you're gonna spend most of the game kicking the ball away, you're giving the opposition a bloody good chance to get back into the game. Especially when you have 'footballers' like Breen and Collins playing in your back 4.

J

Jack

No it wasn't we played well at Bristol, we would have won but for a poor refereeing decision. Don't adjust the facts to suit your argument. That's cheating! :)

We played ok at Bristol no more, no less. To me, they were there for the taking, yet we never looked convinced we could take the game by the horns and win it.

It was more a case of 'oh well if we sneak one great' rather than we can do this - synonymous with the story of our season you could say.

J

Jack

Good post, Jack, and I agree with most of it. Whether it was as easy as loaning another Kightly (we couldn't have bought one for less than £4m), I'm not so sure. We did have an ok replacement in the squad in Gobern, but sadly he's been injured too.

Basically, if Mick left tomorrow, we'd be in a much stronger position than when he left, with a talented, young squad who wear the shirt with pride. We have been victims of our own success, but comparing now to when Mick arrived - ignoring what's happened in between - I don't think we're that far from where I expected us to be. Certainly, I think the current vitriol directed at him is totally undeserved and I think he should get until at least November next season to 'finish' the job.

Agree that we may not have got an exact replacement, but there must have surely been better options than Potter/Gibson/Henry/Keogh on the right wing?

Generally, you are right that we are probably in a better position teamwise, although there is plenty of areas to address IMO. I'm not one of these who hates the guy yet, but, by the same token, he has not enamoured himself to me over the 'Korea' debacle and his handling of certain players.

J

Jack

Of course he couldn't have known.

The problem with Hoddle was motivation, the players lacked desire. Remember the cup game against United?? That was the most insipid Wolves performance I can remember seeing from a Wolves team, especially given that it was a game that we should have needed no motivation for.

People have very short memories if they think this MM era is as bad or worse than under Hoddle.

I would list WBA in the league, cup and play-off second leg as worse than the Man Utd game. You could also list Cardiff this year for complete and utter gutless tripe

S

shroombat

That comment is disingenuous. Hoddle had one roll of the dice. Sure, he got a "1" with Frankowski.

But how many strikers has McCarthy signed? Bothroyd, Davies, Johnson, Keogh, Ward, Eastwood, Elliott, Kyle, Ebanks-Blake.

Give anyone 9 goes, they'll roll a "6" eventually.

i hate to say it, because i really dont like hoddle and what he did, but, with the strikers we've got now we'd have gone up with his team

E

Elephant Pyjamas

I would list WBA in the league, cup and play-off second leg as worse than the Man Utd game. You could also list Cardiff this year for complete and utter gutless tripe

I don't think we were gutless in those games, just not good enough, much like Albion last tuesday, we tried but couldn't penetrate.

The Hoddle team had the quality, but not the application.

Back
Top Bottom