Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hoddle didnt break me... however McCarthy might

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like BILD, I also have not renewed on the Early Bird, simply because I'm not gonna watch another season of McCarthy's clueless dross. As soon as he's gone, I'll renew, but if Morgan doesn't act in the close season I won't renew; I'll be doing the garden on a Saturday instead and tuning in for updates to Soccer Saturday and not the all-day round-trip (I live in Oxford).

For me, his 'I don't give a $$$$$$$ what the fans think' comment put the tin lid on it. I'd come back straight away if McCarthy left, but I think the whole club needs a shake up form CEO down. I thought we might get it under Morgan, but it doesn't look that way. Perahsp he'll start thinking about it when Liverpool are out of the Champions League.

C

cooper_J

Throughout his time with Wolves there was no money available for Hoddle to buy the players he wanted, although he astutely picked up Jackie Mac on a Bosman.

What about Frankowski? One of the biggest flops in WW history?

Hoddle only left us in a mess because of the timing of his leaving. Because of the belt tightening at the club most of his best players had been sold, were available for transfer or were retiring and there was no money available to buy re-inforcements. Had Hoddle stayed, he would have been able to buy the players that he wanted this season (because of Morgan's money) and only then could a fair comparison be made between him and McCarthy. What we have now is very much McCarthy's team and too many of his players are in his image i.e. dull, unimaginative grafters.

I can see your point Woburn but I think that the McCarthy and Hoddle era are comparable. The squad of players that Hoddle inherited had been expensively assembled and many had played in our Premiership season - they were of significantly better quality than the players that McCarthy inherited.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it wasn't we played well at Bristol, we would have won but for a poor refereeing decision. Don't adjust the facts to suit your argument. That's cheating! :)

Like it or not that's my opinion...Bristol were very poor ..maybe not as bad as Gibson in midfield mind you;)

We missed a golden chance to drive on and win the game...we didnt and with it our season ended as the pressure would have been off for the Albion game.

B

Black Suit

Like BILD, I also have not renewed on the Early Bird, simply because I'm not gonna watch another season of McCarthy's clueless dross. As soon as he's gone, I'll renew, but if Morgan doesn't act in the close season I won't renew; I'll be doing the garden on a Saturday instead and tuning in for updates to Soccer Saturday and not the all-day round-trip (I live in Oxford).

For me, his 'I don't give a $$$$$$$ what the fans think' comment put the tin lid on it. I'd come back straight away if McCarthy left, but I think the whole club needs a shake up form CEO down. I thought we might get it under Morgan, but it doesn't look that way. Perahsp he'll start thinking about it when Liverpool are out of the Champions League.

Wait 'til you realise how much you save as well, it becomes very hard to justify starting to go again! Shockingly so, especially when we no longer live locally to the club.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wait 'til you realise how much you save as well, it becomes very hard to justify starting to go again! Shockingly so, especially when we no longer live locally to the club.

Yes, but with me money's not the issue, and in any case we often come up to Worcester to see the grandkids on a Saturday , so an extra few miles to Wolves to see the match wouldn't make much difference. I just object to McCarthy, to Moxey's defence of him and his methods, and to the total silence from SM. I've been watching Wolves for 50 years, and I'm not going to stop being a supporter just because of this latest buffoon -- after all, we've had a few! -- but this must be the first season I can remember when I can't remember a single home game where I've thought we played well. And that's not because there's been a lack of effort or skill -- there's been quite a bit of that -- but because I've never seen such a witless use of resources by any manager in all the time I've been a supporter. I'll be back, but only when McCarthy's gone.

F

Flitwick Wolf

$$$$ing glory hunters.

There are thousands of clubs and hundreds of thousands of fans who'd love to be in our position. Get a grip for $$$$s sake.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team that started last season at Plymouth away :

Murray
Clyde
Craddock
Breen
Naylor
Ricketts
Henry
O'Connor
Clapham
Cort
Bothroyd

Hardly a relegation team was it ?
Actually I thought the midfield looked lightweight here but then you look at it recently......

I don't agree, I think that could very easily have been a relegation team. Look at the midfield, absolutely horrible. Plus Mick had signed Breen, Bothroyd, Henry and Clapham, so imagine how bad the team was when Mick inherited them.

People have very short memories if they think this MM era is as bad or worse than under Hoddle.

So true. I literally cannot believe people are actually comparing the two. Mick has had one excellent season and one slightly disappointing one (with injuries to two key players). Hoddle, on the other hand, was the worst manager we've had in 20-years, and probably longer. If you don't like Mick then that's ok, but please don't compare him to the cancer that was Glenn Hoddle.

F

Flitwick Wolf

Mick has had one excellent season and one slightly disappointing one (with injuries to two key players).

Agreed with what you say btw Muscat but would like to add that rather than a disappointing season, it was the month of December that has $$$$ed us up. Take that month out and your looking at a top spot.

In short, over the course of his tenure, it is one bad month that is costing him and us.

sjonnie

Reaction score
I don't agree, I think that could very easily have been a relegation team. Look at the midfield, absolutely horrible. Plus Mick had signed Breen, Bothroyd, Henry and Clapham, so imagine how bad the team was when Mick inherited them.

So true. I literally cannot believe people are actually comparing the two. Mick has had one excellent season and one slightly disappointing one (with injuries to two key players). Hoddle, on the other hand, was the worst manager we've had in 20-years, and probably longer. If you don't like Mick then that's ok, but please don't compare him to the cancer that was Glenn Hoddle.

I don't think that's a totally fair and objective post. Admittedly Hoddle lost it in his second season, but some of the football played initially was a breath of fresh air and some of the best seen at Molineux for some time. (E.g. QPR at home). Football IMHO that no McCarthy side has ever played.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed with what you say btw Muscat but would like to add that rather than a disappointing season, it was the month of December that has $$$ us up. Take that month out and your looking at a top spot.

In short, over the course of his tenure, it is one bad month that is costing him and us.

Just looking at that little run. 9 games from the 1st Dec through to the 3-0 drubbing at home to Palace. 7 points out of 27 that's $$$$ed us in the bum. Shocker.

Salisbury Wolf

Reaction score
Even if by some miracle we sneaked into the play offs & by some even bigger miracle we got promotion I would still feel the same & still want him gone.

And IF we did get promoted to the PL you'd be down the Mol with your £432+ waving in the wind faster than last nights Vindaloo leaving your backside.

Change the record please BILD. It's worse than being locked in a room with John Wilson.

J

JR's Boots

Like you BILD I haven't enjoyed one game down the Molineux this season. Most of the game have been turgid, unimaginative fare and I would prefer a younger, more open minded manager like Ince. However I've renewed on the simple impulse that it will be better next season. McCarthy will have to improve and someone else will be in.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£518 actually I think it was.

And your point is?? If like I said by some miracle thick Mick did take us to the Prem then yeah, you're probably right, I would renew. Simply because after 20 years of watching Wolves Ive had my fill of the Barnsley's, the QPR's, the Watfords & the Ipswich's. It would be nice to see some decent teams down the Molineux, even if it did mean a season of humiliation under the moron.

Salisbury Wolf

Reaction score
And your point is??

Simply this.

I hate him. I hate his arrogance. I hate his style of football. I hate the way he always has someone to blame other than himself. I simply cannot stand him.

So why the hell would you want to go to the Mol?

I mean MM would still be manager, we'd still be playing crap football, you'd still hate the man, and on top of it we'd get spanked every week, wouldn't we?

Does that make you a fickle fan?

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season ticket holder for the last 12 seasons with only 3 maybe 4 of those being enjoyable suggests not IMO.

L

long ball man

Don't go then, at least then we won't have to endure your nonsensical rants and melodramatic "Mick has broken my will :(" outpourings.

Mick saved this club when it was on its knees. His treatment from certain sections of the support has been nothing short of disgraceful and I'm not surprised he's a bit miffed about it.

Exactly...anyone who has any doubt that McCarthy is 100x better for Wolves than Hoddle ever was is not actually a Wolves supporter and should just bugger off now, from MolMix, from Molineux, from the West Midlands, from this country

J

jonesey85

Bild, My sentiments are very much the same as yours. I was gutted when McCarthy was appointed (over Ince) and nothing I have seen since has changed my view of him. Like you, I have not renewed on the early bird and nor has my son. Also like you, I don't like him and after years as a STH, I will not renew if McCarthy is still here because put simply, I have not enjoyed one game this season and could find other ways to spend close on £1,000 per year that I would enjoy. I also agree with you about Hoddle who, unlike McCarthy, had next to no money to spend and had to work, by and large, with what he inherited. I think Hoddle's biggest problem was trying to play a style of football that several of the team were not capable of (i.e. fast, fluent, pass and move) but on the days that it did come off (not many granted) it was a pleasure to watch. For what good it will do, I have also written to Morgan telling him it is unlikely that I will renew if McCarthy is still in charge.

If all fans who hated the manager and never shown any glimpse of giving him a chance from even before his first day in charge all $$$$ed off, then that would make me for one very happy.

McCarthy may have his downfalls and I wasnt exactly thrilled when he was appointed, but if you cant give him any credit for any of his signings and not even admit to enjoying one match under him, then not only is the credibility of your argument shot to pieces, but you also just sound like a deluded worn out old man, just like the twisted thread starter.

Yes you pay your money, your money is needed, but that kind of "support" isn't.

J

jonesey85

£518 actually I think it was.

And your point is?? If like I said by some miracle thick Mick did take us to the Prem then yeah, you're probably right, I would renew. Simply because after 20 years of watching Wolves Ive had my fill of the Barnsley's, the QPR's, the Watfords & the Ipswich's. It would be nice to see some decent teams down the Molineux, even if it did mean a season of humiliation under the moron.

And lets face it, if you couldnt go down the Mol for a good old moan about how $$$$ everything is on a saturday afternoon, what else would you do?

Wish I had the same ability to blinker out any positives that may have come out of anything MM has ever done. Must be wonderfully fulfilling to live your life in such a way.

Get a Prem Plus subscription for a tenth of your season ticket prices if seeing pretty Premier teams down here is the only thing you would be interested in if we went up. I'm sure that in such a circumstance you wouldnt have any trouble finding somebody to inherit your seat.

J

John

And lets face it, if you couldnt go down the Mol for a good old moan about how $$$$ everything is on a saturday afternoon, what else would you do?
I know it's hard for you to think, but Wolves don't play fixtures for 52 Saturdays in a year.
So he might just be able to find things to do when he's not at the Wolves.

L

long ball man

Admittedly Hoddle lost it in his second season, but some of the football played initially was a breath of fresh air and some of the best seen at Molineux for some time. (E.g. QPR at home). Football IMHO that no McCarthy side has ever played.

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear! If you or any other Wolves 'fan' believes that the type of football Hoddle preaches is the sort of football that a Wolves crowd will tolerate and appreciate you have no idea whatsoever of what the club is about. Hang your head in shame

sjonnie

Reaction score
Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear! If you or any other Wolves 'fan' believes that the type of football Hoddle preaches is the sort of football that a Wolves crowd will tolerate and appreciate you have no idea whatsoever of what the club is about. Hang your head in shame

LBM - your name says it all. Mick's your man!

B

Black Suit

Nowt wrong with long ball, if used correctly. It works for some clubs in this division.

D

Dewsburywolf

Nowt wrong with long ball, if used correctly.

Long ball or long range pass? Two different things really. One is a forward pass to someone in space higher up the pitch the other is a hoof to a big bugger.

B

Black Suit

Long ball or long range pass? Two different things really. One is a forward pass to someone in space higher up the pitch the other is a hoof to a big bugger.

Hard to tell apart at times, Chelsea used it badly last night. Some players go for the killer pass too often and simply give the ball away too frequently, e.g. Gerrard, Beckham

sjonnie

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with long ball, if used correctly. It works for some clubs in this division.

True, but it depends what you mean by long ball. A 50 yard defence-splitting pass is one thing. An aimless hit and hope punt upfield is another.

Carlos#5

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hard to tell apart at times, Chelsea used it badly last night. Some players go for the killer pass too often and simply give the ball away too frequently, e.g. Gerrard, Beckham

I think therein summarise our problem, and that of any football team, football fan, anywhere.

There is just no pleasing some people.

We could have the Chelsea squad, throw in Gerrard and Beckham and a lot of people would still moan its not good enough.

C

Cardiff Wolf

I think therein summarise our problem, and that of any football team, football fan, anywhere.

There is just no pleasing some people.

We could have the Chelsea squad, throw in Gerrard and Beckham and a lot of people would still moan its not good enough.

You mean just like the Chelsea fans for most of this season despite being 2nd in the league and in the Champs league semis?
I'm sure if our friend BILD was a Chelsea fan he would be in the shed giving Avram a round of 'you don't know what you're doing' and pouring his heart out on stamford bridge mix about how much he hates Grant.

Carlos#5

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You mean just like the Chelsea fans for most of this season despite being 2nd in the league and in the Champs league semis?
I'm sure if our friend BILD was a Chelsea fan he would be in the shed giving Avram a round of 'you don't know what you're doing' and pouring his heart out on stamford bridge mix about how much he hates Grant.

Precisely.

F

Florida Wolfey

If all fans who hated the manager and never shown any glimpse of giving him a chance from even before his first day in charge all $$$ off, then that would make me for one very happy.

McCarthy may have his downfalls and I wasnt exactly thrilled when he was appointed, but if you cant give him any credit for any of his signings and not even admit to enjoying one match under him, then not only is the credibility of your argument shot to pieces, but you also just sound like a deluded worn out old man, just like the twisted thread starter.

Yes you pay your money, your money is needed, but that kind of "support" isn't.

Now if I'd have said that I'd be called clueless. But I agree with every word you wrote. I'd much rather have a crowd of 19,000 supporting the team than one of 21,000 waiting to boo the players.

It's why I've advocated a "give them their money back" policy. This negativity has hurt the club for years and its time to find out who these supporters are and take positive action. First of all, when they hold their hands up and ask for their money back, someone in top management needs to talk to them and try to get them to understand what is happening. Maybe if there was better communication they'd have a better idea and get behind the team? Maybe if they understood that their actions hurt the team and the club they'd change their behaviour? If not, kick them out.

The thousands of decent supporters deserve better and the club not taking action against the dissenters is harming us all.

PL jaspa888

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

To those complacently saying '$$$$ of down the albion then', how would you replace fans like BILD and BSK? STH for years, and finally reaching their own personal breaking point.

If I were SM/JM, I would be very worried that BILD/BSK felt that way. Sure, there may be 2 new people to replace them next season, but those new fans will not have the STH habit and would easily fall way if we had yet another bad season.

I personally know of at least 10 long-standing STH that left after Hoddle, and never returned as they broke the habit and found that there were alternative ways to spend your money and Saturdays.

The winners? Not them and not the club...

F

Florida Wolfey

To those complacently saying '$$$$ of down the albion then', how would you replace fans like BILD and BSK? STH for years, and finally reaching their own personal breaking point.

If I were SM/JM, I would be very worried that BILD/BSK felt that way. Sure, there may be 2 new people to replace them next season, but those new fans will not have the STH habit and would easily fall way if we had yet another bad season.

I personally know of at least 10 long-standing STH that left after Hoddle, and never returned as they broke the habit and found that there were alternative ways to spend your money and Saturdays.

The winners? Not them and not the club...

Maybe they just need a break from it for their own good jaspa... time to get a little perspective and realise that life has more to offer than just football. That's not to demean the game or them but anyone who doesn't earn their livelihood from the game needs to understand their are more important things to worry about than if your team wins, loses or draws.

Football is meant to be part of life's experience. To be enjoyed and to be participated in to enrich life. Not to be another source of disappointment, disillusionment and dissatisfaction. If ever you reach that point, then you should stay away from whatever it is that brings those feelings about.

As regards replacing them, that's easy. A good youth development program will bring through the next generations of supporters. Many Wolves supporters have died over the last century to be replaced with their modern contempories. My grandfather introduced me to the club when I was three as he had around a dozen season tickets for the whole family and some friends. When he died some of those season tickets were replaced but of course, for everyone that was replaced, one family member drifted away never to come back. People have choices to make, some of them enjoy the game and the club (despite its mixed fortunes) that they remain loyal, others just find other hobbies and interests BUT they all remain Wolves supporters and want the club to do well.

That's why this club has huge potential. It's why we had so many people at the Burnley Sherpa Van Trophy...

Last edited by a moderator:

PL jaspa888

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe they just need a break from it for their own good jaspa... time to get a little perspective and realise that life has more to offer than just football. That's not to demean the game or them but anyone who doesn't earn their livelihood from the game needs to understand their are more important things to worry about than if your team wins, loses or draws.
You have not been an exile for so long ( ;) ) that you have forgotten that going to football matches is about much more than the game itself. It is about social networking, friendship, affinity with the town, nostalgia, etc.

Football is meant to be part of life's experience. To be enjoyed and to be participated in to enrich life. Not to be another source of disappointment, disillusionment and dissatisfaction. If ever you reach that point, then you should stay away from whatever it is that brings those feelings about.
It is in your blood, and can affect people to varying degrees. I used to be so $$$ off if we lost that it would ruin my entire week, but now I just sadly shake my head at yet another poor performance.

As regards replacing them, that's easy. A good youth development program will bring through the next generations of supporters. Many Wolves supporters have died over the last century to be replaced with their modern contempories. My grandfather introduced me to the club when I was three as he had around a dozen season tickets for the whole family and some friends. When he died some of those season tickets were replaced but of course, for everyone that was replaced, one family member drifted away never to come back. People have choices to make, some of them enjoy the game and the club (despite its mixed fortunes) that they remain loyal, others just find other hobbies and interests BUT they all remain Wolves supporters and want the club to do well.
To be fair, Wolves were a hugely successful club when you were introduced to it, having been successful over a long period. The kids of today have never seen us challenge for anything other than CCC play-offs every 3 years. Great.

Also, the club's pricing policy means that the number of 'replacements' will be very limited. How many floating fans will be prepared to pay £450+ on the off-chance that Wolves may have a good season?

That's why this club has huge potential. It's why we had so many people at the Burnley Sherpa Van Trophy...
We still have huge potential, I agree. But losing loyal fans like BILD/BSK/My 10+ mates is no laughing matter, and will certainly weaken the club long-term.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JR's Boots

Our support is both a blessing and a curse. We're a club who's spent 20 years bumbling along in division 2, rarely challenging an automatic place and via the PO's one solitary and inept season in division 1. I'm no stato but you would think sheer buggins turn (as what is happening with Stoke) would mean one year we click and finish in the top 2 but no. Given our middling teams and league placings over the last two decades we should have a smallish, loyal but patient fan base accepting our status as a second division club but no.

Despite all this we have a large, passionate fan base that demand better than the club have been able to deliver. Fans come and go as the generations change but the general level of support and frustration remain in equal measure.

Perhaps we should stay away ala Watford, Stoke, Palace etc and then the team would thrive

Back
Top Bottom