Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was here for 10 months and we didn’t see a clear change until pre season. O’Neil has been here 3 weeks.
Lop came in to an entirely different situation and he got results. Also, did see clear changes straight away. Not pretty but obviously fitter, organised, and more together.

Now, less and less fitness, disorganised, arguably disinterested (as a team that is).

He can then it around but we sure need to see it.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was here for 10 months and we didn’t see a clear change until pre season. O’Neil has been here 3 weeks.
If you do leave aside the tactics/style of play and judge him on his ability to influence games with substitutions, half time interventions and tactical tweaks, it's a more damming verdict.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you do leave aside the tactics/style of play and judge him on his ability to influence games with substitutions, half time interventions and tactical tweaks, it's a more damming verdict.
Lopetegui made loads of changes and decisions that many deemed strange and questioned. He brought on RAN against Everton last season and he got the winner and Lopetegui is branded a genius. If traore scores yesterday O’Neil is a genius. The point is substitutions are a gamble and always will be.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were just not good enough to go toe to toe with most teams and play 4 forwards.....we leave ourselves too exposed

Fabio offered next to nothing .....so the team would benefit more from say a Toti starting instead.....trying to get an attractive style is what gets you relegated...like it did with stoke
..grinding out results will keep you up...a la lopetugui 5 wins at home 1-0...
But we aren’t really playing an attractive style

We did Luton, Rennes and Utd under JL and the last use of his tactics and structures.

But week on week, the movement off the ball is getting worse and we aren’t breaking in the same numbers or anywhere near the same intensity as those games since GO has had the chance to “work on tactics”

We are becoming the Bournemouth that did to us what we did to Everton.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rightly or wrongly a manager who everyone wanted has a honeymoon period to make changes. An uninspiring, unwanted by the fans (that 8% in favour vote on here was stark), appointment does not.

When JL came in initial changes were incremental but positive. The longer GON is in post and gets his ideas over the worse things look - that isn't promising.

I hope that the two week break allows GON to make positive improvements. The results of two of the next three games are likely politely to not be pretty. Luton is already a "must not lose". If we do l dread the fan reaction.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Sherwood still here?

I'm sure I read an interview with Hobbs where he said we've always got a list of new head coaches ready to go.

Time to get on the blower Matt and sound these guys out.
Can see us going on a losing run now

Especially if we don’t change formation

All of our goals this season have been headers(league only) Which is ideal for a manager like big sam to come into

Our players don’t shoot enough or create openings says it all. Not good enough really

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Sherwood still here?

I'm sure I read an interview with Hobbs where he said we've always got a list of new head coaches ready to go.

Time to get on the blower Matt and sound these guys out.
The issue there is if GON was his first choice who the hell are the others.... Bill at the Dog and Duck FC is probably number three....

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep - as someone else has pointed out, GON has given four half-time team talks, two of them have seen us concede three goals in the second half. I'm now thinking we need to be 2-0 up at HT as Gary is going to ****-up his HT tactics.
I'm absolutely dreading the international break. God only knows how much damage he can do working with the players for two weeks...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is a very scary and sobering thought when put like that!!

Also exposes his lack of ability in comparison to his peers when you look at how massive the difference is between both teams in that crucial window at the start of the second half.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Still too early too judge not many giving him much of a chance after only four games.
Give him a chance to do what though?

We are playing worse and look less fit and more disorganised than in pre season and seem to me to be on a downward trajectory. The similarities to the beginning of last season are uncanny but of no real surprise.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about this Kilman let his man run right across him for first and should’ve been tighter on third
Yep. Yesterday’s goals had absolutely nothing to do with a high press. It was being flat footed and switching off that was the issue.

Edit: but the high press and high line in general doesn’t suit either of them.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good coach has a clear philosophy on how his team should play i don’t know what Gon playstyle is tbf
With how inexperienced he is, plus it being gained in the way it was, he won’t even know for certain what his clear footballing philosophy is……

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its fair to judge him after 10 games. The end of season no-one will really care how well we played (and lost) against Man Utd or the fact we held our own in the first half against Brighton and Crystal Palace.

Decide for yourself how many points we are going to gain from the next 6 games.

Liverpool (H)
Luton (A)
Man City (H))
Villa (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Newcastle (H)

Personally and it really worries me, but I think we are going to be bottom after 10.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Who should come in? Who would do better with the Centre backs and centre forward’s
Kieran McKenna is the man if we’re looking for up and coming managers. Completely turned Ipswich around and currently second in Champ. They were struggling in League One when he took over. Yes would have to pay a bit of compo etc but wouldn’t cost a lot wages wise and has a 57% win rate…plus he’s been assistant manager at United so has experience with bigger name/calibre players. If after 10 games GON is gone then should go all out for him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kieran McKenna is the man if we’re looking for up and coming managers. Completely turned Ipswich around and currently second in Champ. They were struggling in League One when he took over. Yes would have to pay a bit of compo etc but wouldn’t cost a lot wages wise and has a 57% win rate…plus he’s been assistant manager at United so has experience with bigger name/calibre players. If after 10 games GON is gone then should go all out for him.
Failing that Mark Robins.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good example of one of the talented young British managers out there, if thats the route we're taking.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its fair to judge him after 10 games. The end of season no-one will really care how well we played (and lost) against Man Utd or the fact we held our own in the first half against Brighton and Crystal Palace.

Decide for yourself how many points we are going to gain from the next 6 games.

Liverpool (H)
Luton (A)
Man City (H))
Villa (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Newcastle (H)

Personally and it really worries me, but I think we are going to be bottom after 10.

I’m not a negative person, nor am I a happy clapper. I’d say I’m relatively calm and considered in my views. The nature of my job dictates this.

But this worries me even more now.

Liv (h) - heavy defeat

Luton (a) - should win, but if we lose this then I think it’s time to do something.

Man City (h) - heavy defeat

Villa (h) - sorry to say, but they are just so much better than us. Defeat.

Bournemouth (a) - maybe the GoN factor could see a draw.

Newcastle (h) - suspect a defeat but maybe a draw. They aren’t the team they were expected to be.

So at best for me we will be on 8 points from 10 games.

Last season we were 9 points from 10 games. Can anyone really see us equalling or bettering that?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not a negative person, nor am I a happy clapper. I’d say I’m relatively calm and considered in my views. The nature of my job dictates this.

But this worries me even more now.

Liv (h) - heavy defeat

Luton (a) - should win, but if we lose this then I think it’s time to do something.

Man City (h) - heavy defeat

Villa (h) - sorry to say, but they are just so much better than us. Defeat.

Bournemouth (a) - maybe the GoN factor could see a draw.

Newcastle (h) - suspect a defeat but maybe a draw. They aren’t the team they were expected to be.

So at best for me we will be on 8 points from 10 games.

Last season we were 9 points from 10 games. Can anyone really see us equalling or bettering that?
Imagine Luton costing another Wolves manager the job 10 years after Solbakken.
But a 1-0 defeat doesnt sound implausible...
I doubt it will lead to his sacking though, even if it should..

casbul

Reaction score
Our xG is currently over 1 per game - 6.95 for the first four games. I know xG isn't everything, but that suggests we are creating chances. I feel our defence is largely the problem.

I'd like to see us pick up Almamy Touré (Free Agent) for one more CB cover, switch to a back 3 and play up the wings. That way we get the best out of Neto, RAN, Doc, Hwang; and Cunha driving up the middle on a counter attack could work. Stop this 4-atb, ****ing about with slow passing that allows the opposition to get back into position. We aren't City, and we don't have the quality or tactical nous to slowly pass players to death. We need to be more direct.

From what I know of Bournemouth last season, this also might suit GON better.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agreed, it is concerning how far performances have regressed since United away - less than a month ago.
That's pretty disingenuous. I haven't seen anything this season that we haven't already seen from this squad in the last 3 seasons including during Lopetegui's tenure! I'm not sure we can attribute anything (good or bad) to O'Neil after 26(!) days at the club and we're exactly where I'd expect a team whose primary target is "don't get relegated" to be.

I'm waiting to see how the new boys bed in and giving things time to breathe after a tumultuous preseason and start to the campaign. Arsenal, Brighton, Brentford, West Ham are all examples of what can be done with time and patience. Everyone just needs to temper their expectations.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine Luton costing another Wolves manager the job 10 years after Solbakken.
But a 1-0 defeat doesnt sound implausible...
I doubt it will lead to his sacking though, even if it should..
That could be the worst of all worlds. A loss at Luton would go down like a bucket of spew with most fans.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's pretty disingenuous. I haven't seen anything this season that we haven't already seen from this squad in the last 3 seasons including during Lopetegui's tenure! I'm not sure we can attribute anything (good or bad) to O'Neil after 26(!) days at the club and we're exactly where I'd expect a team whose primary target is "don't get relegated" to be.

I'm waiting to see how the new boys bed in and giving things time to breathe after a tumultuous preseason and start to the campaign. Arsenal, Brighton, Brentford, West Ham are all examples of what can be done with time and patience. Everyone just needs to temper their expectations.
As I’m expecting relegation how far should I temper my expectation, League 1.

We’re getting worse and less fit. We look like a pub team and have all the traits of one. There was a reason the likes of Nuno and JL had a team of people. Instead we’ve reverted to the Mick and former era of manager and one or two others. Not having proper first team fitness coaches is proving to be a disastrous decision and remember he was coming in with 3 coaches but ended up with 2.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lop came in to an entirely different situation and he got results. Also, did see clear changes straight away. Not pretty but obviously fitter, organised, and more together.

Now, less and less fitness, disorganised, arguably disinterested (as a team that is).

He can then it around but we sure need to see it.
Yeah he had 6 weeks to prepare for his first game though. We scraped a win against Frank Lampard's Everton.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As I’m expecting relegation how far should I temper my expectation, League 1.

We’re getting worse and less fit. We look like a pub team and have all the traits of one. There was a reason the likes of Nuno and JL had a team of people. Instead we’ve reverted to the Mick and former era of manager and one or two others. Not having proper first team fitness coaches is proving to be a disastrous decision and remember he was coming in with 3 coaches but ended up with 2.
The team have not got less fit because of anything O'Neil has done in 26 days. They are professional athletes.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton will beat us by the way, Because of the Sky obsession I have watched a few games, weak at the back sure but two strikers, crosses coming in, positive football, everything we are allergic to
Giles is going to have semedo on toast…….

He is quick and can whip a range of balls in from all over the wing, he doesn’t just need to attack the line.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
how can you give him a 3 year contract utter madness! When we inevitability sack him its another pay off.
As others have said you would only need to look at forums from previous job to see the 'style' of play we could expect.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how can you give him a 3 year contract utter madness! When we inevitability sack him its another pay off.
As others have said you would only need to look at forums from previous job to see the 'style' of play we could expect.
There will be a sliding scale of how much is paid based on how long he is in post.

So really the sooner the better.

United sacked moyes within 12 hours of his compensation becoming multi-millions!!!! Because someone re-read his contract after a bad result and checked dates on a calendar on a hunch!!!!!

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's been here 3 weeks and I think we've already seen a clear change from preseason - and it isn't a particularly good one. Granted, we've lost one of our key preseason players in Nunes - but another key player Cunha, who appeared to be unplayable at times during preseason and the Utd game, appears to have gone backwards in the last few weeks.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
very true. i remember brunos 1st three games..we were all gushing and we were then annoyed he didnt stick with it

give him time people and there is no point judging on the next three games either
I'd be interested to read what you think he's trying to achieve, tactics he's trying to implement and style of play he's aiming for.

I can't see any but maybe I'm being blind.

Soton waited for 14 games under Jones and it got them relegated.

Villa binned Gerard after 12 games of a new season and they got a competent manager in quickly.

Personally I think he's binned after Villa beat us in October but then I would bin him now in the International break so we can get a proper manager in.

slaphead_wolf

Reaction score
What's most annoying about the whole thing is they already got to see with their own eyes the start of last season what happens when you have a complete novice in charge, seen the improvement of having an actual coach and coaching staff, and then decided to go with a random gamble again. The club and it's strategy literally makes no sense at the moment which is the most frustrating and angering thing. I can only think they saw the cheaper singings in January being the better purchases and decided that being cheap = guaranteed better for some reason because their logical skills are that off a 5 year old.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team have not got less fit because of anything O'Neil has done in 26 days. They are professional athletes.
They are but you only have to see the difference in fitness between a JLo team and a Lage team. It doesn’t take much for a professional athlete to fall off their peak fitness and condition. 26 days is plenty long enough to prove that.

I fully expect statements from players and staff about hard they are working. It would be nice if some Wolves reporters could do their job and try and find out what’s truly happening or doing an in depth review and try and find out what O’Neil’s thinking and what his philosophy is as all I get at the moment is the vibes of a competition winner of a reality show who’s trying to make the experience last as long as they can before they have to return to their former lives.

Back
Top Bottom