Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How much credit and goodwill does GON actually have in the bank?
Or will be people be quicker to turn if they see an opportunity to have a go at justifying the early negativity?
I dunno, I get the sense that there may be some wagons circling already...
I wouldn't be that bothered if he left in the summer.

It is who he would be replaced with that is the concern. I don't see Jeff being overly bothered if we go down as long as we turn a profit.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be that bothered if he left in the summer.

It is who he would be replaced with that is the concern. I don't see Jeff being overly bothered if we go down as long as we turn a profit.

Jeff will be 100% bothered if we go down as the club would lose millions upon millions of value and most importantly revenue.

Plus, it won’t do much for their reputation…….

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff will be 100% bothered if we go down as the club would lose millions upon millions of value and most importantly revenue.

Plus, it won’t do much for their reputation…….

Imagine the backlash will be different this time. Two managers in a row leaving cause of lack of investment/lies/spin.

Also feel like media will be more on GONs side.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine the backlash will be different this time. Two managers in a row leaving cause of lack of investment/lies/spin.

Also feel like media will be more on GONs side.

The media WILL be on GON’s side!!

He is; British, an ex-player, done radio shows on talksport, ex-team mate of a fair few tv pundits and close links to one prominent journo.

Jeff only got a small taste of how the PR war and how the damage to our reputation in the press could go with JL and how he left. If GON used only half of his connections to get a message/narrative out there it will make the **** storm caused by lops look small time…….

I would be more worried if GON decided to go public/let stories get out than JL by an significant distance!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its on BBC website that he will sign a contract extension at seasons end so he cant be that unhappy

He has some credit left for doing great for most of the season with a limited squad and no money
Ofc the poor run we have been on will dent a lot of the confidence with the team and fans no doubt

The be all and end all of this is whether Fosun back him to a certain degree in the summer

If we bring in 4/5 decent players that he wants then the excuses will no longer be there next season, and a proper judgement can be made by Xmas,if not, well we can all see where we will be, and the knives will be well and truly out for Fosun

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 5 games have been no worse than Brighton's and we're a point behind them. I'm quite sure they're not considering moving De Zerbi on....that should be the perspective of what's happened since all the injuries.

Yes we've had some poor performances in recent weeks but I cant hold him responsible for our players not being able to defend a 2-1 lead with 3 mins of stoppage time left against Coventry or the fact that VAR have decided that we aren't allowed to score goals anymore. Afterall, those goals would have given us 2 extra points but also knocked down WHU and Bmouths totals.

Next season is the true litmus test for me. A full pre-season, and a summer to be able to bring in the players he wants.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have to remember that O’Neil is still a novice head coach and is going to make mistakes (as we all do). It shows that talk of him getting a better job is really premature, imo. He hasn’t really proven that much yet. Hopefully we get a win tomorrow, have a strong summer and can push on next season.

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I think we have to remember that O’Neil is still a novice head coach and is going to make mistakes (as we all do). It shows that talk of him getting a better job are really premature, imo. He hasn’t really proven that much yet. Hopefully we get a win tomorrow, have a strong summer and can push on next season.
He’s not even had a pre season as a coach yet

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON undoubtedly deserves to be backed in the summer (likely won't but that's another debate) and a fresh go at our next campaign, with a full preseason behind him.

However, our current run is concerning and injuries or not, performances have clearly dipped. It's an important game tomorrow, we all seen how well we went under Lage initially but that confidence can be tough to rediscover once you get going on a poor run.

Really important summer for the club in general to be honest, feels like we are at a bit of a crossroads.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, he's very much in the position Lage was for me. I know people villify Lage now, but we were talking about Europe in February of his first season, just like this one. Then it all fell apart and he blamed a lack of backing 'we never lost when we had a #9' sort of stuff. By West Ham away he was trying desperately to find a way, but it was never there.
We never looked good under Lage. Results were much better than the performances warranted but then his luck ran out.
O'Neil is a much better communicator, nobody ever really warmed to Lage as a person in the way we've bonded with Gary. Gary also has a competent recruitment team backing him. However the cracks started to show last night regarding his relationship with the board.
Gary does love to deflect when performances are poor. It works too, it gets everyone focusing on the mess left by Lopetegui/injury crisis/small squad rather than the performance and the choice of tactics.
Fundamentally though, Nuno fell out with him over more backing, he gave money to Sellars who wasted it for Lage, Lopetegui left over money. Now O'Neil is frustrated by a lack of money. Shouldn't be too hard to work out where the blame really lies.
The perceived need to fall in line with FFP? A finite warchest? Funding has always been there, much of it squandered unfortunately.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What have I missed? Sounds like Robinson called the ref a useless **** or words to that effect. GON has done no such thing.

GON was removed from the referees room…..

And it wasn’t because of good and friendly behaviour was it……

We don’t know what was said or took place, but the fact he was removed/asked to leave isn’t a good thing believe me…..

GON will be in a fair bit of trouble

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON was removed from the referees room…..

And it wasn’t because of good and friendly behaviour was it……

We don’t know what was said or took place, but the fact he was removed/asked to leave isn’t a good thing believe me…..

GON will be in a fair bit of trouble
Brilliant lol. Who was he removed by?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We never looked good under Lage. Results were much better than the performances warranted but then his luck ran out.

Gary does love to deflect when performances are poor. It works too, it gets everyone focusing on the mess left by Lopetegui/injury crisis/small squad rather than the performance and the choice of tactics.

The perceived need to fall in line with FFP? A finite warchest? Funding has always been there, much of it squandered unfortunately.
We were 6th for a couple of weeks in his first season and didn't drop below 8th until the last game. I'd take that sort of ugly myself. There's so much rewriting of history about Lage.

All managers love to deflect. He could have gone for another VAR rant on Wednesday, but I think everyone would have seen through it. The performances have generally been pretty good, or at worst OK since he settled in, Bournemouth was the first proper car crash. Everyone's entitled to an off day (just a shame they all did it at once!)

Funding hasn't always been there. It was great at the start, I mean that was the basic idea, invest and the value of the asset grows. Then (maybe covid), it wasn't there for Nuno. Then it was there (but Sellars wasted it). Then it vanished again. We'll see how much is FFP and how much is Fosun tightening the purse strings this Summer.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were 6th for a couple of weeks in his first season and didn't drop below 8th until the last game. I'd take that sort of ugly myself. There's so much rewriting of history about Lage.
There's no rewriting of history. Aside from the now legendary three 1 0 defeats that we opened the season with, we were rarely a good watch.

Southampton away when Raúl scored a great goal in the dying minutes was an awful spectacle. Both teams looked dire.

Villa away, we were comfortably second best for 80 minutes and somehow won. Neves' winner was no classic.

United away stands out as our best performance by a mile. Other than a double over Watford, we only won two matches by more than one goal. Jose Sa was voted POTS and lauded in the media as "one of the best goalkeepers" and "arguably the best signing of the season".
All managers love to deflect.
This is whattabouttery.
He could have gone for another VAR rant on Wednesday, but I think everyone would have seen through it. The performances have generally been pretty good, or at worst OK since he settled in, Bournemouth was the first proper car crash.
West Ham second half was equally as rotten.
Everyone's entitled to an off day (just a shame they all did it at once!)
I'm not calling for the man's head, just being critical where I feel it'd merited. Overall, GON has performed above average.
Funding hasn't always been there.
Yes it has. We've overspent even in Nuno's time, the funds have never been finite and we've had to curb our spending to fall in line.
It was great at the start, I mean that was the basic idea, invest and the value of the asset grows. Then (maybe covid), it wasn't there for Nuno.
It was there. Nuno was at the helm when huge money was spent on Fabio and Semedo in Nuno's last season. Another big chunk spent on Cutrone and Hoever.
Then it was there (but Sellars wasted it). Then it vanished again. We'll see how much is FFP and how much is Fosun tightening the purse strings this Summer.
Money was wasted in Nuno's time too. For a while every transfer was a resounding success (Neves, Ruddy, Douglas, Boly, Costa, Cav,, Jota, Bonatini, Raul, Jonny, Mourinho, Patricio) but then came (Podence, Cutrone, Fabio, Hoever, Trincao, Guedes, Kalajdzic).

The summer will be telling with regards spending. We can agree there.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 5 games have been no worse than Brighton's and we're a point behind them. I'm quite sure they're not considering moving De Zerbi on....that should be the perspective of what's happened since all the injuries.

Yes we've had some poor performances in recent weeks but I cant hold him responsible for our players not being able to defend a 2-1 lead with 3 mins of stoppage time left against Coventry or the fact that VAR have decided that we aren't allowed to score goals anymore. Afterall, those goals would have given us 2 extra points but also knocked down WHU and Bmouths totals.

Next season is the true litmus test for me. A full pre-season, and a summer to be able to bring in the players he wants.
This, well said. I find it ludicrous that people are having a go at GON after the many great performances as well as a few bad ones. The top 3 have all had poor games, why should we be immune from a bad day at the office when half the office are in A and E.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Either way he needs to know that his tactics are somewhat baffling and his subs are sometimes moronic. I'm on the fence at the moment partly because of, no fault of his own, that the squad is too small and injuries have badly hampered us.
Absolutely be pro active with the subs and take some risks if we are chasing a game

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
GoN did his job this season. Kept us up, comfortably. We all thought we were in big trouble before a ball was kicked. I think he kept the best team he could out all the time was to get to a position of safety as soon as possible. Don't blame him for not rotating too much.
Yeah very true. I think expectations changed very quickly but when you think back to the start he has done a solid job and there is plenty of encouragement that we’ll improve next season under GON’s stewardship.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GoN did his job this season. Kept us up, comfortably. We all thought we were in big trouble before a ball was kicked. I think he kept the best team he could out all the time was to get to a position of safety as soon as possible. Don't blame him for not rotating too much.
Bang on. I feel like we have a manager here who we can build with for the next few seasons.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I cant believe some people arent bothered if gon goes..id be gutted..i want to see when backed and a full preseason....
I'm fairly sure Brighton fans said the same when they replaced Hughton with a relative nobody in Potter.

It's who we replace GoN with

I doubt you'd be concerned if we got Amorim (a silly suggestion I know but proved my point).

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure Brighton fans said the same when they replaced Hughton with a relative nobody in Potter.

I doubt you'd be concerned if we got Amorim (a silly suggestion I know but proved my point).
It’d be Edwards or Cooper probably Cooper as there’s no compo to pay.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I get what u are saying but i am excited what gon can do next season..i just dont understand the clamour to replace him when most of the season has been brill to watch and scoring more goals than we have for ages and he is still learning

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I get what u are saying but i am excited what gon can do next season..i just dont understand the clamour to replace him when most of the season has been brill to watch and scoring more goals than we have for ages and he is still learning
I don't think anybody is clamouring for him to go.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whichever way you view things, there's a big summer coming up, as I don't see Neto, RAN or Gomes being part of the setup come August.
It's the business we do (or don't do) that will be the deciding factor for me, as right now my expectations remain quite low with a view of us just trying to maintain our PL status.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Just watched the clips of GON explaining his system on YouTube, the thing he did for Sky earlier in the season. He speaks so clearly and confidently. Played a big part in bringing me around to fully back him to be honest.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slow pedestrian football won’t win many games unless you have quality technical players to pick passes. Which we don’t. Moutinho and Neves has left
The best that we have now is Doyle. He's ok but a level down on Ruben and Mouts.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whichever way you view things, there's a big summer coming up, as I don't see Neto, RAN or Gomes being part of the setup come August.
It's the business we do (or don't do) that will be the deciding factor for me, as right now my expectations remain quite low with a view of us just trying to maintain our PL status.
I think Gomes will stay..... obviously if we get what we want for the likes of Neto Rayan Semedo and Sa maybe ...I think it will be another Jorge Mendes Gestifute exodus this summer.....I think the club will try n retain the likes of Gones and Kilman as a safety net for further investment, further down the line when the Mendes carousel runs dry a bit....

As I say I think it will be Jorge players who predominantly leave....

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gomes will stay..... obviously if we get what we want for the likes of Neto Rayan Semedo and Sa maybe ...I think it will be another Jorge Mendes Gestifute exodus this summer.....I think the club will try n retain the likes of Gones and Kilman as a safety net for further investment, further down the line when the Mendes carousel runs dry a bit....

As I say I think it will be Jorge players who predominantly leave....
Let's hope so (re Gomes), although I would be saddened to see some of those you've mentioned leave.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best that we have now is Doyle. He's ok but a level down on Ruben and Mouts.

I still find it funny someone defending fosun’s summer work on here said we improved the squad in the summer with signing Doyle when we lost neves and moutinho that summer…………

A ****ing mind boggling opinion !!!

Doyle has been good, but he is no neves…..

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I still find it funny someone defending fosun’s summer work on here said we improved the squad in the summer with signing Doyle when we lost neves and moutinho that summer…………

A ****ing mind boggling opinion !!!

Doyle has been good, but he is no neves…..

Genuine question.
Which is the better midfield 3: Neves, Moutinho and Donk or Lemina, Gomes and Doyle?

Back
Top Bottom