Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we’ve now appointed Potter’s successor in Norway and the bloke who couldn’t get Notts County promoted from the Conference (twice) left Forest Green and was at Anderlecht. At least he’s got more managerial experience than O’Neil. They could have saved themselves so much money sticking with Davies.
I wondered what you were on about. This l assume. We needed more in the backroom but talk about massively underwhelming. Shopping at Poundland again.....

Andi130

Reaction score
Well we’ve now appointed Potter’s successor in Norway and the bloke who couldn’t get Notts County promoted from the Conference (twice) left Forest Green and was at Anderlecht. At least he’s got more managerial experience than O’Neil. They could have saved themselves so much money sticking with Davies.
Whilst I know he's only an coach, and I shouldn't really judge, but is this really our level?

T

TheConcourse

It seems that teams have made a point of picking up Cunha in deep positions to stop him turning and attacking the space behind him.
I haven’t analysed it in great detail tbh, you could well be right.

I’d be surprised if they’ve paid that much attention on him. He doesn’t even seem to get a kick.

UncleJorge

Reaction score
My worry is the language GON uses before games. I said it the weekend, before Palace he always talks about us as if we are the underdog and giving ourselves a chance.
All whilst fielding a team that cost how much?
It's negative language and it impacts the players. Not a manager, I like the bloke but in the videos of player' first day he looks like he is on a stadium tour. No presence at all

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry is the language GON uses before games. I said it the weekend, before Palace he always talks about us as if we are the underdog and giving ourselves a chance.
All whilst fielding a team that cost how much?
It's negative language and it impacts the players. Not a manager, I like the bloke but in the videos of player' first day he looks like he is on a stadium tour. No presence at all
Psychologically you might well have a point there. We should be making teams worry about us.

Andi130

Reaction score
Just been watching 'The Coaches Voice' on YouTube and stumbled across a video from a few years ago with our own Mr Derry at the helm. Just thought a few might be interested the get some insight into his coaching approach. Don't mean that in a negative, or positive context, but have a watch if you've got 5(that was figurative. It's about 12 mins long)

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been watching 'The Coaches Voice' on YouTube and stumbled across a video from a few years ago with our own Mr Derry at the helm. Just thought a few might be interested the get some insight into his coaching approach. Don't mean that in a negative, or positive context, but have a watch if you've got 5(that was figurative. It's about 12 mins long)

This is a fantastic channel btw.

Great video on Bo Svensson, Nuno, Russell Martin and Mourinho. If you're tactics nerd/coach its worth watching some videos

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to spend very long anywhere...

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
very true. i remember brunos 1st three games..we were all gushing and we were then annoyed he didnt stick with it

give him time people and there is no point judging on the next three games either
Unrealistic. He's managing Wolves now. Not Boscombe FC. If the mol mix poll is reflective of the wider fanbase then over 90% didn't want him in the first place so he's got a major job on his hands to turn that tide of opinion.

I doubt to date he has converted many into fully paid up members of the GON fan club. Like or not he will certainly be judged over the next 3 games. That comes with the territory of managing a big club with an expectant fanbase, who have also been majorly ****ed off by the club’s actions since the end of last season, making them even less forgiving.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many good young progressive coaches we could have gone for who would have loved to come to Wolves. O'Neil might keep us up but I've seen nothing in his gameplans so far that show he knows how he really wants the team to play.

4-5-1 without the ball and 4-2-4 with the ball is what we seemed to play the last couple of games but that seems to just totally give up the midfield battle before we've even started and makes us very easy to play against.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
very true. i remember brunos 1st three games..we were all gushing and we were then annoyed he didnt stick with it

give him time people and there is no point judging on the next three games either
Hardly a comparison. I was no Lage fan but as l recall his first three games were entertaining near misses, each of which we lost by a single goal. We seemed to have a coherent attacking plan albeit struggled to take chances (a recurrent theme!).

Hardly comparable to GON's first four games. After the highly credible gameplan, JL all the way, against ManUre GON's influence has meant dire football and leaking like a sieve.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hardly a comparison. I was no Lage fan but as l recall his first three games were entertaining near misses, each of which we lost by a single goal. We seemed to have a coherent attacking plan albeit struggled to take chances (a recurrent theme!).

Hardly comparable to GON's first four games. After the highly credible gameplan, JL all the way, against ManUre GON's influence has meant dire football and leaking like a sieve.
I would agree. Also like JLo, Lage constantly asked for signings and particularly a striker. He never had an effective one and he had to rely on a misfiring Jimenez. He might have been clueless but he’s the football equivalent of Einstein compared to O’Neil.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What the actual **** do you want for 5m pmsl

Maybe it's better to spunk 35m on another unproven kid like Silva. Compare Silvas record in Holland to GG.

You need to drop your arrogance.

Drop arrogance, from the bloke who replies by swearing :rolleyes: Classy. Think you need to grow up a bit because somebody has the temerity to not agree with you on a forum.

Face it, the bloke you keep recommending is a below average striker who was extremely unprofessional at the end of his time at Celtic. Last think we need is another character like that.

Comparing him to Silva is a bit irrelevant. He wasn't pulling up any trees either in weaker leagues at Silvas age.

Last edited:

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

"Wolves have continued from what Julen Lopetegui has built, with good play in possession. I think the build-up play is excellent and we can control sides – even the top sides..."

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"Wolves have continued from what Julen Lopetegui has built, with good play in possession. I think the build-up play is excellent and we can control sides – even the top sides..."
*******s.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drop arrogance, from the bloke who replies by swearing :rolleyes: Classy. Think you need to grow up a bit because somebody has the temerity to not agree with you on a forum.

Face it, the bloke you keep recommending is a below average striker who was extremely unprofessional at the end of his time at Celtic. Last think we need is another character like that.

Comparing him to Silva is a bit irrelevant. He wasn't pulling up any trees either in weaker leagues at Silvas age.
He wasn't unprofessional at Celtic. Here's more swearing, that's made up bull****.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whats this obsession with control? We didnt control anything on Saturday. Palace let us have the ball, because we didnt do anything useful with it.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think GON has basically tried to just continue along the tactical lines Lop was.

It’s worth remembering those tactics and shape were in no small part built around suiting Nunes. It seems no great surprise that his sale has had an effect in the short term.

Hopefully Bellegarde can be that like for like replacement.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in many jobs, 6 months probationary period is normal, but on here 3 away games and 1 at home following no pre-seasodeserves the sack. Idiots!

So you haven’t seen someone get let go 1-2 months or amazingly even sooner into a probation period because it is clear it won’t work and the person was a bad hire?

I know have, in my second job post football. I saw one lad sacked at the lunch time on his 5th day!

Because the manager said he didn’t have even half the ability to do the job as his interview suggested as he struggled to do the basics of the job.

The lads gaffer on site said he couldnt let him stay another second, as it would hold the team back hitting deadlines for a major client and also team morale would take a hit.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheap and sodding uncheerful!

I really am still wondering if this is because in the event of a sale/buy-out, then the cost of paying them off will be lower overheads for the the new owners. All in all, are we seeing a cheap 'interim' structure.

Either way, it still is really worrying that this is a 'Championship' level managerial set up.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't unprofessional at Celtic. Here's more swearing, that's made up bull****.

Classy as always :rolleyes: That shows a lot of brain power.

Celtic were glad to see the back of him. Having digs at them not being in a competitive league ( coming from a bloke who has spent his whole career in leagues that aren't competitive ). How professional was he with all his little Instagram digs at Celtic. I'll believe Ange over some random with no class.

Probably shows your football smarts if you think a bloke like him would have done anything for us. Even after his one very good season in Holland it only got him a move to Scotland.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Unfortunately pengwern, there will be a few on here who will be happier when we lose, just so they can continue with their tirade.
There really won't, it's such a myth. I thought not keeping Lopetegui was a terrible mistake, appointing O'Neil was laughable, his coaching staff totally inadequate. I still do. I'm also there singing 'Gary O'Neil's Barmy Army at the game, I would be delighted to be wrong about him.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui made loads of changes and decisions that many deemed strange and questioned. He brought on RAN against Everton last season and he got the winner and Lopetegui is branded a genius. If traore scores yesterday O’Neil is a genius. The point is substitutions are a gamble and always will be.
I'm not saying Lopetegui didn't but he's been and gone , we can only talk about if GON is up to it or not now.

Everything may or may not work, but a lot of the time it should be calculated and the person making those calls getting it right more often than not.

In all our games we've been well in the game at HT but have gone on to win one second half and lost three.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in many jobs, 6 months probationary period is normal, but on here 3 away games and 1 at home following no pre-seasodeserves the sack. Idiots!

In many jobs you don't hire an inexperienced nobody for a top/senior/experienced role. This is the premier league, not L1.

I'm reminded of a situation where someone was hired even though the boss was told during the interview process they weren't good enough. They were not good enough. They continued not being good enough after they were hired and eventually had to be let go.

In GON's case he did not do a good job at his last job either. What we have seen so far is an extension of that.

And for the record, out of all the current PL managers with over 10 games of experience, GON is 15th of 16th for stats and barely above 16th, making him literally one of the worst managers in the league.

Almost any PL club would not have even given him an interview with his level of experience and demonstrated ability.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In his post match presser, I thought Gary looked uncomfortable and making silly statements that the group have improved since when he first came in was someone looking to justify their current position as manager.

I wonder if Hobbs has seen he needs some help and suggested he go and get someone. Someone who’s British and young and fits in with the new non foreign profile. A chap who got a Conference League team to the play-offs twice and lost twice is just the fit.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really am still wondering if this is because in the event of a sale/buy-out, then the cost of paying them off will be lower overheads for the the new owners. All in all, are we seeing a cheap 'interim' structure.

Either way, it still is really worrying that this is a 'Championship' level managerial set up.

And hardly going to inspire our team.

The only bit of optimism I have is that Poch hasn’t yet imposed his ideas on a £billion squad at Chelsea so I’m giving Gaz some slack. But we have regressed a bit sharpish since opening our innings at United.

Back
Top Bottom