Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So I've tried to rapidly cycle through shock, denial, guilt, ANGER! (not entirely through that to be fair), depression (just blanking it out for now) and now I need to move on to reconstruction and acceptance.

Assuming, as pretty much everyone seems to believe, that we're getting Gary O'Neil, what will his tactics be?

From everything I can see about O'Neil, he likes to play a 3421 counter attacking style.

Of course he has a 3-4 day pre-season to instill his tactical ideas into the squad. He also has no coaches and only 3 senior central defenders. So what does he do for the Man Utd game and beyond?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Reading between the lines a little bit, but Hobbs’ comments last night suggest part of picking O’Neil was he was willing to come and take on the style that Julen had been working on. Time will tell but I wouldn’t be shocked if we line up at Old Trafford like we did against Rennes.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading between the lines a little bit, but Hobbs’ comments last night suggest part of picking O’Neil was he was willing to come and take on the style that Julen had been working on. Time will tell but I wouldn’t be shocked if we line up at Old Trafford like we did against Rennes.

Anything else would be madness

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he plays three at the back we need another two CBs.

Whatever formation, it'll be everybody behind the ball and try and nick one, then being miserable as sin in every interview win, lose or draw. Always came across mindblowingly miserable last season, actually someone I'd think 'I couldn't be doing with him as our manager'.

Being mardy is alright if you're a top coach I suppose...

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's if some of the players aren't sitting it our due to niggles and then sold the week or two after .

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His tactics at Bournemouth were probably to consolidate and play on the counter, trying to scrape points to keep them up.

Whilst we *could* be in a relegation scrap, there's no need to adopt that mentality from the off. He's got free reign to be positive and use whatever tactics he likes.

He has a much more talented pool of players at his disposal

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sit deep and counter attack . We are ****ed , bore fest here we come from looking in the Bournemouth forum.
We have looked at our most threatening during pre-season playing on the counter. It's also how Nuno played. Counter attacking football doesn't have to be boring if it's executed correctly

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I've tried to rapidly cycle through shock, denial, guilt, ANGER! (not entirely through that to be fair), depression (just blanking it out for now) and now I need to move on to reconstruction and acceptance.

Assuming, as pretty much everyone seems to believe, that we're getting Gary O'Neil, what will his tactics be?

From everything I can see about O'Neil, he likes to play a 3421 counter attacking style.

Of course he has a 3-4 day pre-season to instill his tactical ideas into the squad. He also has no coaches and only 3 senior central defenders. So what does he do for the Man Utd game and beyond?
He used 8 different formations at Bournemouth. I don't think he has a clue about his preferred formation:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should not be blinkered into thinking we know too much about a coach who has 37 games experience at a relegation fodder club.

He took over a team that had just lost 9 - 0. Everyone's certs to go down.

What would you expect him to do going in to that?

This is his big chance, going in to a club that's got enough talent there to not have to play in a backs to the wall style (at least not every game!).

Eddie Howe was a different manager at Bournemouth to what he is with Newcastle. We can only hope the same with O Neil.

It's a bit foolish to judge him on his first couple of games with us - tough tough games.

O Neil is an unknown to a large degree. Better to have an unknown, they could be anything, than a has been failure.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He used 8 different formations at Bournemouth. I don't think he has a clue about his preferred formation:

Thanks. Quite encouraged by that actually. A fair bit of 4231, so we can stick with that!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judging by what I read and posted last night, I don’t think we know what he will play. He tried something like 8 different formations / setups last season as he tried to find a winning formula. Started deeply defensive, but unable to score. Moved to more free flowing but leaked goals. Think he finally found some balance later, so let’s hope we start with that!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will carry on from our pre season but I’d imagine the usual thing will happen when you downgrade to such an extent; we will get worse and worse as the season goes on and get more defensive.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm going to console myself with the notion the O'Neil has potential and with the talent available in the squad against the quality of teams in the league this season he has a bit of space to learn and develop into at least a half-decent manager.

Anything else at the moment doesn't bear thinking about. :oops:

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Hard to define his tactics because of the shear lack of managerial jobs he's had. At Bournemouth he took over and tried to make them hard to beat and pick up points where possible. Dull but effective and in the end he kept them up, but their results improved after they spent around 70m in Jan. On paper the squad he inherits here is better than the one he inherited at Bournemouth, he will have to adapt formation & style which suits these players. My assumptions would be that O'Neil has got the nod as he has shown confidence of playing an attractive and attacking type of football, this is something that the club have said they wanted to do when they appointed Lage initially also, so i'm guessing this is the 'philosophy' the club want. We will soon see anyway, just hope the players and fans give him a chance and direct the anger at Shi or JLO who are both to blame for this situation we're now in.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In all fairness we could have said that about Lopetegui at the end of last season.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That shows what a weak minded man he is and not someone who can inprint his own style on the team , its a disgraceful appointment.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't have a set formation according to AFCB fans. He played a number of them but 4411l4231 was the most common and successful. The same as here with Lopetegui.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That shows what a weak minded man he is and not someone who can inprint his own style on the team , its a disgraceful appointment.
Or someone who's adaptable? Just trying to find the bright side!!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all fairness we could have said that about Lopetegui at the end of last season.
Not completely:
Also it's clear from previous jobs that Lopetegui do have a very strong playing identity and judging from preseason was now putting it in place at Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom