Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

T

TheConcourse

In fairness.. we’ve spent a few hundred million quid since Arteta took over Arsenal also..
Not sure on the numbers specifically, but lots of other factors: salaries etc.

Arteta spent £526m according to Google across 8 windows.

Interested to see what we’ve spent on players since we came up… over £300? Wouldn’t surprise me. Our promoted teams beats our current lot IMO.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure on the numbers specifically, but lots of other factors: salaries etc.

Arteta spent £526m according to Google across 8 windows.

Interested to see what we’ve spent on players since we came up… over £300? Wouldn’t surprise me. Our promoted teams beats our current lot IMO.
Yeah.. Arteta has wasted some money.. Pepe springs to mind, but we’ve probably wasted a larger percentage of ours overall.

I think last time I saw, it was around 350million we’ve spent since promotion.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Yeah.. Arteta has wasted some money.. Pepe springs to mind, but we’ve probably wasted a larger percentage of ours overall.

And have you any idea of what income as against outgoing

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pepe isn’t on him though….. that is a transfer shrouded in issues and alleged improper practice over the size of the fee.

Also he was a player arteta didn’t want

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are having a go at Kilman and Dawson. But so far their being left out to dry. Playing high up the pitch, man to man, full backs both overlapping and both central midfield players pressing their man too. We're not making it easy for ourselves.

If you don't do it perfectly you're going to look silly and give away goals.

Hodgson schooled O'Neil today. He sat back, controlled where we had the ball, was patient and knew we was going to cause our own issues. Simple runs and we opened up. They turned it on when we scored and got two quickly. The same happened against Brighton, they turned it up after half time and we fell apart.

Everyone can see it

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is so damning. Of today's side not one would get in ahead of the side that came up from the Champs imo. Where has all that quality and excitement gone for £350 mil?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is so damning. Of today's side not one would get in ahead of the side that came up from the Champs imo. Where has all that quality and excitement gone for £350 mil?
It’s even more than 350mill sadly.. I had the numbers wrong.. it’s 623mill Euros.

Seeing as Jota and Neves, two of our biggest sales, were already with us. That’s pretty pathetic.

W

WasStefan

It’s even more than 350mill sadly.. I had the numbers wrong.. it’s 623mill Euros.

Seeing as Jota and Neves, two of our biggest sales, were already with us. That’s pretty pathetic.
Net?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think tactically he is doing that much different to other recent managers. The big issue today for me was the lack of obvious substitutions.

How the **** Fabio got 75 minutes is incredible to me. How we don't see Sasa til 80+ minutes is incredible to me.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No.. we’ve recouped 408mill

But when you take into account how good our championship winning squad was.. that’s pretty bad.
Apologies for being thick - since promotion we've spent 623 mil euros and recouped 408 mil euros? So we've spent 215 mil euros to end up with the side that played at Palace today?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies for being thick - since promotion we've spent 623 mil euros and recouped 408 mil euros? So we've spent 215 mil euros to end up with the side that played at Palace today?
Correct. A net total spend of 215 mil Euros to get from the squad that was promoted from the Championship, to the squad we have today.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are having a go at Kilman and Dawson. But so far their being left out to dry. Playing high up the pitch, man to man, full backs both overlapping and both central midfield players pressing their man too. We're not making it easy for ourselves.

If you don't do it perfectly you're going to look silly and give away goals.

Hodgson schooled O'Neil today. He sat back, controlled where we had the ball, was patient and knew we was going to cause our own issues. Simple runs and we opened up. They turned it on when we scored and got two quickly. The same happened against Brighton, they turned it up after half time and we fell apart.

Everyone can see it
Not sure about this Kilman let his man run right across him for first and should’ve been tighter on third

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked tired and tactically really poor. I know it's fashionable to blame the players but the first team is really quite different to even 12 months ago. What we're seeing is poor coaching and management.

GON deserves a chance but only because he's there and so he's not going to get fired. He has virtually nothing in his resume to say he'll work and doesn't even have his own team. That alone is a recipe for disaster. If you put my cat in charge you wouldn't say keep her, she deserves her chance. You'd say she's a dumb appointment, stop wasting time and correct your mistake. However, we won't so blind faith is needed in a man fired from his one job and making a mess of ours.

His latest post match comments... well I said last week that most managers talk rubbish but my god, the ego of the man to say what be did. We are light years from what we set up for pre season and man utd. As others have said, massive strides backwards. No idea what our tactics are, cunha's being wasted, defence left to cover massive spaces again today, and looks like players don't know the plan and don't have the fitness to execute one for 90 minutes.

GON has to learn fast and stop publicly blaming our previous manager. I didn't even like the guy but he got good results overall and preseason we looked way more interesting and organised. Now we look a total shambles.

3 poor overall performances in a row in the league since he took charge (utd he couldn't have set us up for). It's not often a manager can claim that. Points only due to a one off Sa performance and everton's firepower issue.

Last edited:

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Understandable approach of trying I get an attacking focus on team play as he knows like us we need a hat full of opportunities to hopefully take 1 or 2. That sadly leaves us exposed at the back hugely for many periods in games. Try and make us hard to beat results on next to nothing being created, zero goals scored and a game based on defending for 95% of it and one that will turn the fans on the team and his back. He has to push us to be susceptible at the back in an attempt it score goals with a team with no killer instinct whatsoever in the final third.

He’s on a hiding to nothing sadly imo

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who on here is honestly happy with this guy and his coaches in charge? It is so obvious where it is heading. What has Hobbs done?!
I’m coming on here now expecting Hobbs to announce they’ve made a mistake and he’s gone. Not sure who’s they replace him with though.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who on here is honestly happy with this guy and his coaches in charge? It is so obvious where it is heading. What has Hobbs done?!
Will just put my Jeff Shi and pro Fosun glasses on .

Not speaking out and making us look like dicks . Doing a great job :)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd get rid of him now and his coaches. Admit the big mistake and sort it in this two week break. A big mess as Hobbs has given him a 3 year deal but this guy is taking us one way. Get a proper head coach and coaching staff in please Fosun. I may get slated for this but it is so obvious.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Smith said, palace had a settled side but we didn’t,so looking disorganised 2nd half is no surprise. Don’t blame GON for that. He’ll now have time to integrate the 4 new players!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has to get the next few games regardless. We dug the hole and now we have to lie in it.

We've got a mid to lower table squad and it doesn't need a genius manager to keep us up, but we're playing such naive football with no quality. It's very much just hope something happens out of the blue and rely on individual performances.

Lage was better qualified although also massively lacked experience. At times he had us playing nicer football but he was rubbish.

This is worse. If you can't see it, you're not seeing the wood for the trees. It's not that we had 90 terrible minutes because we didn't, it's that we had 45 ineffective ones where we were lucky not to be losing then 45 where we got worse and worse.

I'm just hoping we scrape by on the strength of the bit of quality we have and GON not doing dumb things like removing your only striker.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd get rid of him now and his coaches. Admit the big mistake and sort it in this two week break. A big mess as Hobbs has given him a 3 year deal but this guy is taking us one way. Get a proper head coach and coaching staff in please Fosun. I may get slated for this but it is so obvious.
He didn't being any coaches! Mostly it's wolves internal staff isn't it? And maybe two extras that got mentioned?

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
I think we all knew from day 1 of his appointment that he was the wrong man for the job. We all wished him well but we can all now see the writing on the wall. He is out of his depth. Unfortunately but the time the club come to this conclusion it's going to be too late.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about this Kilman let his man run right across him for first and should’ve been tighter on third

Most teams don't defend 1v1 because if you lose one duel it's a goal. So they'll sit back in numbers and zonally defend. Have the defensive midfielders and fullbacks around them picking up them men, and then they'll just sit deep and defend the space. Now it's just pure carnage

Yduti

Groupie
Reaction score
The problem is not only the managers for me these players are massively overrated lets be real they failed nuno in his last season failed lage at the end and put some terrible performances under lopetegui the same is happening with O’neil now

Back
Top Bottom