Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Yduti

Groupie
Reaction score
Looks like hobbs prefers english managers i dont know even if we sack gon they may bring in someone worse

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is not only the managers for me these players are massively overrated lets be real they failed nuno in his last season failed lage at the end and put some terrible performances under lopetegui the same is happening with O’neil now
It's an entirely different set of players. Even mostly from lage.

It's mad how people keep repeating this despite the facts.

Under lop we had a midtable record and most poor performances were either due to no striker or being more or less safe. We actually did fine.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good coach has a clear philosophy on how his team should play i don’t know what Gon playstyle is tbf
GON hasn't been a coach/manager long enough to develop a philosophy or a playing style, though.
We've hired a coach who is learning on the job, and we're clearly not in a position for this to be a good idea.
The new signings are gonna have to be out of this world and hit the ground running, for GON to even have a prayer!
I'd actually feel sorry for the fella, were it not my club that were employing him!
His career at Wolves, however long it maybe is likely to be very damaging to both parties.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you don't want to see clueless performances then hire decent/experienced managers. Nuno and Lop, like them or not, had a plan, had large teams, and had good careers one way or another.

An up and coming manager is ok but lage and GON were airdropped into previous jobs, did ok for a few months, then got fired. Not saying they'd never be good but both woefully unqualified.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd ditch the hideous back four and go with three centre-backs in an attempt to stop gifting chances every week. Even at Everton we were lucky they weren't out of sight after an hour.

Not just Everton. Happened in a few matches last season too. Spurs at home springs to mind. Seems to depend on us getting a last ditch tackle in. Or opponents missing sitters. Perhaps thats why we have those occasional pastings as well as the occasional hard fought one goal wins.

I'd stop playing Sarabia immediately.
Yep. Needs resting. Surely he himself knows he's underwhelming virtually every week in the league? He is our best set piece taker, but that isn't enough.

I wouldn't take off a striker for a DM when we're well in the game to invite pressure.

Here's what I would have picked:

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Doherty Gomes Lemina RAN
Cunha
Sasa Silva

Got to be worth a try. Or a 3-5-2 with ideally Sasa and Cunha up front, though Neto is creating actual goals. Improving every week, seems to have got his form back after injuries. Fabio can step in, too, for variation, as can Hwang, who is turning into a veritable super-sub.

Wasn't that long ago, we were the team that unless playing Man City, could virtually guarantee getting to half time at 0-0 with no chances at either end! It's about controlling matches and we aren't doing that.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we all knew from day 1 of his appointment that he was the wrong man for the job. We all wished him well but we can all now see the writing on the wall. He is out of his depth. Unfortunately but the time the club come to this conclusion it's going to be too late.
I absolutely didn't wish him well

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
In my opinion these players suit a counter attacking style
In what way? In the 'we can't defend so we need loads of extra cover' sort of way, or the 'we're fast and deadly on the counter' sort of way. Because I'm only really seeing one of those!

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a young manager who has managed for 3-5 years at least this is gon second year as a manager
We'd have been better served taking a punt on a young'ish manager from the level below, who's done exactly that.
Mark Robins at Coventry City has got to be due a crack at the top flight soon, surely?
There's probably several others too, but he'd be my pick and he's British too, which seems to be the route we now wish to follow.
Hiring somebody like him though would obviously have involved compensation to his current club, and let's be honest, one of the biggest boxes ticked with GON was the lack of this outgoing payment.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Hobbs picked a second duff head coach his own job should rightly be on the line.

Yeah I think that’s fair. The measure by which a true DoF would be measured is development of both the first team squad and the coaching staff. So far he’s gotten off to a good start on the squad, but there’s definitely some concerns over the head coach.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I think that’s fair. The measure by which a true DoF would be measured is development of both the first team squad and the coaching staff. So far he’s gotten off to a good start on the squad, but there’s definitely some concerns over the head coach.
We don't know what the remit was but I agree it doesn't look good. The appointment looked very bizarre and the 3 year contract daft.

Suspect he was told it must be a manager with no club, inexpensive, little or no backroom team, available immediately, and premier league experience. Doesn't leave much.

GON must have said all the right things but he certainly isn't continuing what lopetegui set up, he's totally dismantled it already.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't know what the remit was but I agree it doesn't look good. The appointment looked very bizarre and the 3 year contract daft.

Suspect he was told it must be a manager with no club, inexpensive, little or no backroom team, available immediately, and premier league experience. Doesn't leave much.

GON must have said all the right things but he certainly isn't continuing what lopetegui set up, he's totally dismantled it already.
Dismantled? More like utterly destroyed.

Andi130

Reaction score

I genuinely hope, for Hobbs sake, the constraints you've mentioned were a significant factor in the appointment. I suspect very few Prem clubs would have welcomed him in under normal circumastances.

It just the nagging feeling that GON is more of a pet project for Hobbs that worries me. Especially when you add the Beale recommendation to the mix. Far to similar in stature.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought beale was a sellars choice but a few have said this now. Is there a source?

Agree tho, it's not a good look and feels a bit jobs for friends maybe (no idea if they are!)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I suspect the 3 year contract may have been in compensation for a relatively modest salary. It would fit neatly into the narrative that Shi isn’t too bothered about the long term, only the near term finances. Let the new owners sack him and pay out the balance of his contract.

Even if not, a lower salary spread over three years versus a shorter contract with a higher salary, looks better on the clubs profit and loss account for the current year, especially when there will be a substantial hole in that from the mutual settlement for JL and his staff.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who should come in? Who would do better with the Centre backs and centre forward’s available?

As a coach? I can think of coaches i believe would be better than this bloke, he's just another Lage. Out his depth and uninspiring. I dont think for a start he's got us set up to get the best out of what we have and to limit our weaknesses. Hopefully when a couple of our new signings get integrated things will change but i'm not confident it will. I knew when Lage took over he wasnt good enough, and neither is this bloke. The most damning thing for me is i genuinely think Big Sam would actually be an improvement on him, which isnt great. Being fair to him, i think he is on a hiding to nothing anyway, said it from day one.

Obviously, they want a fairly cheap, almost yes man type manager who wont rock the boat so thats going to limit the choice, which is a huge problem. If Fosun want to get serious, Gallardo, Potter, AVB or maybe a gamble on somebody like Still from Reims, but realistically, they arent going to go down that route again until we are in the trouble Lage got us in last season. We would probably be looking at a Hasenhuttl type manager probably. Again, thats not great for us. With our approach, we are very limited.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like a broken record but I'll say it again. Giorgos Giakoumakis could have been signed for 5m
He's a strong bustling goal poacher who scores where ever he goes.

Defenders don't like him as he's in their faces with his aggressive style. Yet we stuck with 35m flop Silva.

Yeah, exactly what we need. Another stroppy player who downs tools when things dont go his way and who has only ever scored goals at a low level.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON has to learn fast and stop publicly blaming our previous manager. I didn't even like the guy but he got good results overall and preseason we looked way more interesting and organised. Now we look a total shambles.
Easier to blame JL, than accept the fault is his own….

Was quick enough to try and claim some tactical credit for United, which only the media who didn’t watch the Rennes game and happy clappers who wanted to dismiss JL because he was the panto villain…… GO couldn’t have changed a bloody thing in ONE training session…..

The plan on the press based on the keeper and all the other bits were drilled for weeks! It was clear that the team were certain of roles and responsibilities, not a “what did the new guy tell me?”

So he is quick to take credit for the good, which are the few remaining bits of what JL did in pre-season, but blaming JL and his coaching for the bits he has been messing with……

Guy is unqualified and frankly thick as pig muck if he believes even 25% of what he said in his interview ! If he believes it, and based on his other comments so far, he wouldn’t even get a video analyst job in league 2 club!

He needs to go ASAP

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were just not good enough to go toe to toe with most teams and play 4 forwards.....we leave ourselves too exposed

Fabio offered next to nothing .....so the team would benefit more from say a Toti starting instead.....trying to get an attractive style is what gets you relegated...like it did with stoke
..grinding out results will keep you up...a la lopetugui 5 wins at home 1-0...

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His subs at Everton were terrible too and we got lucky

When people are on yellows they need replacing

Won’t be long until we go down to 10 and lose a game, and that will be on him too

Any defeat under GON is on fosun though. Everyone knows he isn’t good enough, and no one better would come - so May as well just get on with it and get the fosun out chants going

TF2Wolf

Reaction score

We are light years from what we set up for pre season and man utd. As others have said, massive strides backwards.

GON has to learn fast and stop publicly blaming our previous manager. I didn't even like the guy but he got good results overall and preseason we looked way more interesting and organised. Now we look a total shambles.
Lopetegui may not have been that likeable especially the way he left but has shown he’s light years ahead of O’Neil as a coach.

O’Neil’s comments combined with the poor performances and results are only going to alienate him further. Our fans are not fools we can see the deterioration each week before our very eyes.

I am still flabbergasted that having seen this very scenario play out before the club were prepared to take this sort of risk again. For a supposed successful company they seem to repeat an awful lot of mistakes.

I also don’t understand why the club would have put such constraints on themselves when appointing a new manager. Surely to goodness the priority should have been appointing a coach with the same playing philosophy we wish to instil over and above their nationality. It’s bizarre and amateurish.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lopetegui may not have been that likeable especially the way he left but has shown he’s light years ahead of O’Neil as a coach.

O’Neil’s comments combined with the poor performances and results are only going to alienate him further. Our fans are not fools we can see the deterioration each week before our very eyes.

I am still flabbergasted that having seen this very scenario play out before the club were prepared to take this sort of risk again. For a supposed successful company they seem to repeat an awful lot of mistakes.

I also don’t understand why the club would have put such constraints on themselves when appointing a new manager. Surely to goodness the priority should have been appointing a coach with the same playing philosophy we wish to instil over and above their nationality. It’s bizarre and amateurish.
For me this is the biggest issue and this year we won’t have a Julen to come in and rescue us

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair he did try, but no club thought he was a good choice

I think it was likely he’d have been a strong candidate to replace Champ managers getting the sacked once the season started, and from his comments after getting the Wolves job, that’s what he was anticipating. If he fails at Wolves, I still think that’s the likely next step for him.

Back
Top Bottom