Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

R

reanswolf

The viewing figures have been good. The grounds have been full of youngsters. There is demand, which is growing, so there absolutely should be supply.

Besides, this supply utterly pales in comparison to coverage of the mens game where you can watch dozens of matches a week from every league under the sun.

There's a place for everything in the modern age. It ain't 1990 with 4 TV channels and no internet.
I did sort of acknowledge much of what you say, and that my interpretation was probably down to my age.

Anyway, Let’s see how many attend the next Wolves Women’s match.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I did sort of acknowledge much of what you say, and that my interpretation was probably down to my age.

Anyway, Let’s see how many attend the next Wolves Women’s match.
If men hadn't done this to the womens game, it would be very interesting to see where we would be now with this side of the sport.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. It just needs a few more years over here and it’ll stand up in its own right.

I don’t get the utter hatred from some guys but I genuinely believe it stems from the comparisons by the media.

Journalists have a lot to answer for with their frequently biased comments not doing women's football any favours.

Reactions: Ned

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. It just needs a few more years over here and it’ll stand up in its own right.

I don’t get the utter hatred from some guys but I genuinely believe it stems from the comparisons by the media.
Sadly Ned I think that is an excuse used by some (not all and not you clearly) for their inbuilt prejudices.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
They mentioned the other day that shortly ,Ellen White could surpass Wayne Rooney’s England goalscoring total.If it was the other way round would it get a mention?
I have enjoyed the Euros and hope we can win it but they are 2 separate games.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lack of diversity in the England team is very disappointing.
Obviously the best girls we've got at the moment. You don't want someone making the team just because they need someone from a minority you want someone because they are the best for the job, and just as I write this GET IN Beth Mead!!!

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m 54, overweight and have dodgy Knees and ankles. I honestly believe if I got my old Sunday league side back together and spent 2 months getting fit we’d give most of these womens teams a game.
I’ve watched snippets of it over the years and my opinion is that it is of low standard. I won’t watch any of thie euro’s no matter how many times certain tv/radio stations tell me how good it is.
I know my view doesn’t fit the agenda being pushed but I really don’t care.
When usa were world cup winners they lost 5-2 to dallas u, 15s.

Tells you everything you need to know.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good on ya.
Personally..I never compared say Serena Williams to Novak Djokovic just as an example.
There seems there´s some disease going about when it comes to comparing football.
This said..the way the english lassies played the game against Norway was simply the best I´ve seen.
Now..as a swede..and brought up in the gender equility society over here..I´ve watched womens football since the late 70´s..and yes,I have taken no harm(I think..:)

Womens football is evolving.Just as any other thing.
I happen to think it is a good thing..and as a man I simply don´t feel threatened by women progressing,cause they are.
..and nuff power to them I say.
Equality across the borders for me.Intellectually and humanly the only way forward.
It shouldn´t even have to be expressed in opinions.It is NOT open for debate.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good on ya.
Personally..I never compared say Serena Williams to Novak Djokovic just as an example.
There seems there´s some disease going about when it comes to comparing football.
This said..the way the english lassies played the game against Norway was simply the best I´ve seen.
Now..as a swede..and brought up in the gender equility society over here..I´ve watched womens football since the late 70´s..and yes,I have taken no harm(I think..:)

Womens football is evolving.Just as any other thing.
I happen to think it is a good thing..and as a man I simply don´t feel threatened by women progressing,cause they are.
..and nuff power to them I say.
Equality across the borders for me.Intellectually and humanly the only way forward.
It shouldn´t even have to be expressed in opinions.It is NOT open for debate.
Never thought I would say this but I feel really proud of them.
You never proud of them?
They have been one of the best teams in the world for some years.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only issue I have with the emergence of the women's game is how in club football they act as if the women's team have the same history as the main/men's team. Like when they talk about MCR or North London derbys as being meaningful... that's the men's team. Who knows, the North London ladies might end up hating the ladies in the north east and not give a ****e about their neighbours? It's just contrived *******s. Also, what happened to Doncaster Belles, it's all big rich clubs seeing another opportunity to look flash.

The quality of football is definitely improving. But the goalkeepers are still appalling... why is that?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure of the context of that game but having played with women in our teams while living in Kansas they were certainly good players and not particularly fragile either. That said, comparing the mens and womens games is pretty silly given the quality gulf is enormous at pro level.

R

reanswolf

The only issue I have with the emergence of the women's game is how in club football they act as if the women's team have the same history as the main/men's team. Like when they talk about MCR or North London derbys as being meaningful... that's the men's team. Who knows, the North London ladies might end up hating the ladies in the north east and not give a ****e about their neighbours? It's just contrived *******s. Also, what happened to Doncaster Belles, it's all big rich clubs seeing another opportunity to look flash.
I think this is where the issues collide, but it’s exactly how I feel. You get accused of being backward and sexist when I personally am nothing of the sort.

Where do you draw the line with the equality issue? Should women receive the same obscene wages male top flight footballers receive? The disparity in wages is simply driven by demand and supply but you just know this will be on the agenda soon.

Of course womens football should and is evolving and shouldn’t be held back by any barriers, but it’s the contrived influence of the likes of Sky which is problematic for me. But there again I already know that in itself can sound backward. How much should they actively promote something / anything that is not inherently of great interest to the same degree as with the mens game?

It’s such a difficult point to make, without evading unjustified criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is where the issues collide, but it’s exactly how I feel. You get accused of being backward and sexist when I personally am nothing of the sort

Where do you draw the line with the equality issue? Should women receive the same obscene wages male top flight footballers receive? The disparity in wages is simply driven by demand and supply but you just know this will be on the agenda soon.

Of course womens football should and is evolving and shouldn’t be held back by any barriers, but it’s the contrived influence of the likes of Sky which is problematic for me. But there again I already know that in itself can sound backward. How much should they actively promote something / anything that is not inherently of great interest to the same level of demand as the mens game, which simply reacts to demand.

It’s such a difficult point to make, without evading unjustified criticism.
Everyone tries to over think it really
Ive seen no evidence of Sky promoting womens football,they rarely if ever show the games,its usually ITV and now BBC with the Euros
No one as far as i know is trying to compare it to mens football,only the ones that never watch it or have serious misconceptions about the game
I watch all the England games,and have watched a few League games too,mostly they are very entertaining,but you take it for what it is not what you perceive it becoming
No woman has asked for comparable wages to men,its ridiculous to say that
The sport is beginning to take off, and getting more popular, but its decades behind the structure of the Prem, and may never get get there as far as investment is concerned
If people enjoy it as a sport and a spectacle fine,no problem at all but lets not get into the equality issue as it really doesnt exist here

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame we can't just let people enjoy the game and need to compare it. Some men are so fragile they have to re-assert their dominance when they see women achieving. Men have access to top class coaching from young ages women not so much. Of course there will be physical differences too.

But I do enjoy what I see of the women's game these, some very good technical players and less play acting than many of the men. I hope to see the Wolves team keep going up the ladder as the thing that spoils women's football for me is not having a team to support that is easy to follow.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The quality of football is definitely improving. But the goalkeepers are still appalling... why is that?

I think it is lack of height, full size goals but with keepers the same height as the players.

The need to find or encourage taller women to have a go but they don’t grow on trees.

I think some of those goals would be saved with a 6 ft keeper.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

When I paid £18 last year to watch non-league Stockport county, I didn’t compare it to watching premier league wolves with their £35m players.
When I paid £5 to watch wolves women v Southampton , I didnt compare it to watching premier league wolves.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s good to see the team doing well, but I also find it sad to see the lack of diversity in the team though; the majority of the team seem to be identikit blondes with ponytails.

Let’s hope that as more money comes into the game, it creates opportunities for everyone

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s good to see the team doing well, but I also find it sad to see the lack of diversity in the team though; the majority of the team seem to be identikit blondes with ponytails.

Let’s hope that as more money comes into the game, it creates opportunities for everyone
There's a discussion on the other side about the (perceived) diversity of the England team. There are 3 black players in a squad of 23 = 13%. The fact they're not in the latest teams is not due to their colour I would say.
Would also add I had a post deleted by the Mods for non-football topic in the Lionesses team yet diversity can be discussed here ( which is good )

R

reanswolf

Everyone tries to over think it really
Ive seen no evidence of Sky promoting womens football,they rarely if ever show the games,its usually ITV and now BBC with the Euros
No one as far as i know is trying to compare it to mens football,only the ones that never watch it or have serious misconceptions about the game
I watch all the England games,and have watched a few League games too,mostly they are very entertaining,but you take it for what it is not what you perceive it becoming
No woman has asked for comparable wages to men,its ridiculous to say that
The sport is beginning to take off, and getting more popular, but its decades behind the structure of the Prem, and may never get get there as far as investment is concerned
If people enjoy it as a sport and a spectacle fine,no problem at all but lets not get into the equality issue as it really doesnt exist here
I'm talking about SSN, its pretty constant.

Wages issues have been quite heavily discussed. In Wales they have agreed to pay Welsh female international footballers the same as males by 2026, in USA equality of pay for international footballers already exists for both genders after a test legal case. I'm not saying the principle is inherently wrong because equality is essential, but wages in the entertainment industry have always been driven by demand and supply and popularity, not whether someone is female or male. If a natural progression occurs in the women's game (and it might indeed do that over time) then fine. But again, demand and supply is the determining factor for income generation in the entertainment industry.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm talking about SSN, its pretty constant.

Wages issues have been quite heavily discussed. In Wales they have agreed to pay Welsh female international footballers the same as males by 2026, in USA equality of pay for international footballers already exists for both genders after a test legal case. I'm not saying the principle is inherently wrong because equality is essential, but wages in the entertainment industry have always been driven by demand and supply and popularity, not whether someone is female or male. If a natural progression occurs in the women's game (and it might indeed do that over time) then fine. But again, demand and supply is the determining factor for income generation in the entertainment industry.
All Wales are doing is paying the women the same match fee

Which is that much of a pittance for England that the men have been giving it to charity for umpteen years

Ultimately women professional players will continue to earn a tiny fraction of their male counterparts overall

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
I didn’t see the game last night, good result again though.

What did people think of the match?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I didn’t see the game last night, good result again though.

What did people think of the match?
It was Ok, Northern Ireland werent great but it took a while to break them down. Second half was a bit of quieter there were quite a few changes.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
It was Ok, Northern Ireland werent great but it took a while to break them down. Second half was a bit of quieter there were quite a few changes.
How did Hemp and Mead play? Did they cause Northern Ireland the same problems as Norway?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
How did Hemp and Mead play? Did they cause Northern Ireland the same problems as Norway?
Not as much but it was a different type of game, Northern Ireland defended a lot deeper and there wasn’t as much time or space.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed
We had another 2 gears to use if needed in all honesty and should have scored more
We also lost concentration at the back a few times which cant happen with teams like France or Germany or we will be in trouble
Spain up next i think which will be a good test ,but we should win tbf if we take our chances

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are doing great and creating a shed load of chances, my only worry for them is the lack of a clinical finish, we could have absolutely smashed NI last night but we miss so many good chances, there will come a game where we aren't given so many opportunities and we will need to take one of the few we get

Back
Top Bottom