Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Brilliant first half, I think they've settled in to the tournament now!! John Arne Riise has put some timber on

Norway going 5 at the back is a bit stable door.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m 54, overweight and have dodgy Knees and ankles. I honestly believe if I got my old Sunday league side back together and spent 2 months getting fit we’d give most of these womens teams a game.
I’ve watched snippets of it over the years and my opinion is that it is of low standard. I won’t watch any of thie euro’s no matter how many times certain tv/radio stations tell me how good it is.
I know my view doesn’t fit the agenda being pushed but I really don’t care.
Really disrespectful mate. Reckon they'd run rings round you

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ive not watched womens football since the 2012 olympics. Jeez the womens game has come on a bit. Hasnt the womens game gone professional now? They are pinging the ball around as good as some of the men now. Weakness still seems to be the keepers though.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Ive not watched womens football since the 2012 olympics. Jeez the womens game has come on a bit. Hasnt the womens game gone professional now? They are pinging the ball around as good as some of the men now. Weakness still seems to be the keepers though.
Quality still not as good as Gornal Athletic

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
He’s probably right
He might have been right about 10-15 years ago but now the England women's team would at the very least get into double figures against an egotistic 54 year old and his mates. They'd be blowing out of their backsides after about 10 minutes and dead and buried by 15 minutes. I'd love to see ignorants like him humiliated, there's plenty of them around, but alas female footballers have got better things to do with their time.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more. Some of the passing and movement today from England was top draw. Norway’s keeper was all over the place though.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quality still not as good as Gornal Athletic
Really? Ive watched early rounds of fa cup games with none league teams and they show nothing like the passing and skill that was on offer tonight

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Given proper opportunities and training from a younger age will only help the game, not something that women players were offered in years gone by, unlike the mens game where players have been in academys and receiving coaching from a young age. It still has work to do but young girls are now getting better coaching and the womens game will keep improving in the coming years as these girls come through. Great to see !

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our wide forwards could learn a thing or two from the way Mead and Hemp get in at the back post.
To be fair to all concerned, their movement is excellent, but Norway’s defending, marking and defensive positioning is absolutely woeful.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Not
Men are quicker and stronger than women, that’s not up for debate and is basically a stupid argument.

If you don’t like it fine, just don’t get why you’d even bother coming on this thread to run it down.
not running it down just don’t see how excited you can be by England girls beating Norway girls 8-0??

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not

not running it down just don’t see how excited you can be by England girls beating Norway girls 8-0??
U dont help yourself using a patronising word like girls. They are women. U dont call englands mens team boys.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given proper opportunities and training from a younger age will only help the game, not something that women players were offered in years gone by, unlike the mens game where players have been in academys and receiving coaching from a young age. It still has work to do but young girls are now getting better coaching and the womens game will keep improving in the coming years as these girls come through. Great to see !
There we go, that’s the right answer.
‘It’s still ****’ can still be your opinion, and to some extent it can be true.
But as ever, the context needs to be considered.

Was in the middle of writing a long thing, but screw it.
Nobody has to watch it, but if you’re annoyed by it ‘being rammed down your throat but it’s ****’; just as an experiment, try imagining it’s league 2 at best.
Because that’s not really an insult when you consider the talent pool, access to professional coaching and facilities, the length of time they have had access to those things…
There are 5 professional men’s leagues in this country. There is 1-1.5 in women’s. Now. Which was 0 for decades.

Irrespective of any of that, it’s so important for girls to be able to see and aspire to the (comparatively low, yes) pinnacle of their game.
Because otherwise, if it’s not ‘rammed down your throat’ and given TV time, then you’re telling girls and women they can’t play football. You can, but there’s no point.
The game grows, becomes better funded, more professional, and then that pinnacle becomes further away. But dreaming is for free.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are they still wearing white shorts ????

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And played at half the pace
Women, in general, can't run as fast as men. But those general comparisons obscure so much. England's women play a really high tempo game with quick passing and direct running. They progress the ball through the lines far quicker than Wolves men often do. And someone like Hemp has such good control at pace that she can probably move quicker with the ball than most men's players. Or watch Jonsdottir's run half the pitch for Iceland yesterday. Lightning.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Women, in general, can't run as fast as men. But those general comparisons obscure so much. England's women play a really high tempo game with quick passing and direct running. They progress the ball through the lines far quicker than Wolves men often do. And someone like Hemp has such good control at pace that she can probably move quicker with the ball than most men's players. Or watch Jonsdottir's run half the pitch for Iceland yesterday. Lightning.
Well let’s hope ‘Wolves Men’ come up against a few ‘Norway Women’ next season

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
It's a shame really. We don't often have threads about women's football, but guaranteed when we do, there's always one or two people who feel so threatened by discussing women's football that they have to come on, wave their willies and start to derail the thread with their need to declare that it's inferior to men's football. Always the same boring comments about how they and their mates, or some non-league or boy's team could beat them. We know how you feel because we've heard it all before on here loads of times. So predictable, so boring.

Hope now that you've made your point, feel secure in your manhood and can leave the rest of us to discuss the women's Euros.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that’s a really good point. Women’s football is not the same as men’s football and it only ever suffers when people compare them. If you can enjoy it in its own right then go for it, if it’s not for you then that’s ok too.

I think it’s the same as how some of us watch the U23s regularly. If you go to a game and judge it against the first team you’ll be disappointed but in its own right it’s great.
I agree with all that. What I don’t agree with is the high level promotion of a version of the game that’s worse than top amateur mens football. I don’t have an issue with womens sport in general. I’m glad netball is gaining popularity and women are breaking through in sports that were previously traditional mens sports like horse racing, darts, and possibly F1 in the near future.
But womens football, and also rugby too, come to think on it, are such poor quality products.
Saying that, if England make the Semi’s I’ll definitely be cheering them on as I’m a patriot.

*as an aside, why did they call themselves the lionesses. Surely that creates a gender division that isn’t needed. They’re representing England and a pride of lions include mostly females so what was wrong with just ‘Lions’?

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they should be allowed 2 goalkeepers and 9 outfield players.

Back
Top Bottom