Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Is it disrespectful? I’d say it was said tongue in cheek but it does raise a valid point about the overall quality.
Before the last World Cup, the US womens team, which went on to win it, played a warm up match against an u15 boys team and were royally thumped 5-2.
Why the need to constantly compare men's and women's football? It's the women's Euros with the best female teams in Europe competing against each other. TV has more than 5 channels now, so if it's to low quality for your taste and not a high enough level you think deserving of coverage, watch something else. My daughter is thrilled that it's on and is in awe at some of the skills of the top female footballers.

Did you go on the Wimbledon tennis thread in the OT section and go on about 15 year old boys being able to beat some of the female professionals and say that you're unhappy with the high level of promotion and poor quality of the product in comparison to the men's game? Maybe when the Commonwealth Games start and there's discussion on that you'll feel the need to point out that some male youth sprinters can beat some of the females in the 100 metre sprint or complain that they're getting too much TV coverage as it's just not high level enough for you.

The best males compete against each other in a multitude of sports. The best females compete against each other in a growing number of sports. They have never had the opportunities and coverage that men have had before and other women and girls are finally getting fulfill dreams and see other women play their favourite sport on TV.

You don't want to watch it. We get it. You don't like the high level coverage it gets, we get it. Watch something else.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Why the need to constantly compare men's and women's football? It's the women's Euros with the best female teams in Europe competing against each other. TV has more than 5 channels now, so if it's to low quality for your taste and not a high enough level you think deserving of coverage, watch something else. My daughter is thrilled that it's on and is in awe at some of the skills of the top female footballers.

Did you go on the Wimbledon tennis thread in the OT section and go on about 15 year old boys being able to beat some of the female professionals and say that you're unhappy with the high level of promotion and poor quality of the product in comparison to the men's game? Maybe when the Commonwealth Games start and there's discussion on that you'll feel the need to point out that some male youth sprinters can beat some of the females in the 100 metre sprint or complain that they're getting too much TV coverage as it's just not high level enough for you.

The best males compete against each other in a multitude of sports. The best females compete against each other in a growing number of sports. They have never had the opportunities and coverage that men have had before and other women and girls are finally getting fulfill dreams and see other women play their favourite sport on TV.

You don't want to watch it. We get it. You don't like the high level coverage it gets, we get it. Watch something else.
Really not got a problem with womens football, just think other levels of football deserve more coverage than the womens game, but that’s the BNC for you!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn’t read all your post as it was nearly as dreary as the womens football.
What I will say is my response was to a post from Jadewolf. I didn’t just randomly decide to slate womens football. So, because I’m led to believe this is a ‘discussion’ board, I’ll state my opinion.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t like it so don’t watch. But to answer your first paragraph, I think some male football fans get annoyed with comments like “Ellen White is now level with Rooney’s goalscoring record” and, at the World Cup, there were comments about maybe going further than the 1990 squad and joining the likes of Bobby Moore etc.

The sport happily piggy backs off the men’s game (it needed it) when it’s beneficial to do so but it’s also very quick to point out the differences when the quality gets questioned.

Anyway, I don’t like so don’t watch. Much like I don’t watch the Azerbaijani league.

Saying that, anything that promotes sport for women and increases participation can only be a good thing. Where I live there are loads of girls teams and almost all my friends daughters play in teams every Sunday and train in the week so fair play.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never a penalty but awesome performance so far, and good football.

Istr that Norway are meant to be quite good (11th in the world?) but they have been blown away.
It was a penalty. She had her foot trodden on!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a penalty. She had her foot trodden on!
Yeah, the spectacular flop to the ground shouldn’t have been necessary, but there was blatantly a significant contact that prevented her getting to a clear scoring opportunity.
Infinitely more of a pen than the old ‘brush together of legs at the byline running away from goal’ that the PGMOL love so much.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I don’t like it so don’t watch. But to answer your first paragraph, I think some male football fans get annoyed with comments like “Ellen White is now level with Rooney’s goalscoring record” and, at the World Cup, there were comments about maybe going further than the 1990 squad and joining the likes of Bobby Moore etc.
I'd agree that some of those comparisons don't help. The statistics / records should be treated within the contexts of that they were made, it's like comparing apples with oranges.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
I'd agree that some of those comparisons don't help. The statistics / records should be treated within the contexts of that they were made, it's like comparing apples with oranges.
Yes but can thay cook ...............its a joke sorry guys just can't take it seriously all the goodie goodies with there big white teeth on the telly

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. It just needs a few more years over here and it’ll stand up in its own right.

I don’t get the utter hatred from some guys but I genuinely believe it stems from the comparisons by the media.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes but can thay cook ...............its a joke sorry guys just can't take it seriously all the goodie goodies with there big white teeth on the telly
Are male players asked if they can service a car, use a lawnmower? May be a joke, but it shows an underlying attitude towards women when they want to do or achieve something.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well let’s hope ‘Wolves Men’ come up against a few ‘Norway Women’ next season
Remember when Birmingham City lost 8-0 (I think?) then we scraped to a draw against them next game....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While obviously Womens football has its limits and cant be compared to mens i dont see why so many hate it so much
I watch all the England games and enjoy most of them,probably more than i enjoyed a lot of Wolves games over the last couple of seasons

Last night it was one of those games where England played really well and Norway (ranked 8th in the world) just didnt
It happens in mens football occasionally Villa v Liverpool for instance,in what world would Villa score 7 against them lol

I take it for what it is,not what we expect to see from men,and enjoy a bit of success from the national team while i can,i see nothing wrong in that at all

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to be a sceptic but the improvement in the last few years has been mightily impressive. The ladies played some lovely stuff last night and some of those mocking would have been creaming their knicks if Ruben had pulled off some of those cross field balls.

The rapid progress shouldn't really be a surprise given the WSL only went professional in 2018 and you only have to look at rugby from the early 90s to see how professionalism utterly transforms a sport

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to be a sceptic but the improvement in the last few years has been mightily impressive. The ladies played some lovely stuff last night and some of those mocking would have been creaming their knicks if Ruben had pulled off some of those cross field balls.

The rapid progress shouldn't really be a surprise given the WSL only went professional in 2018 and you only have to look at rugby from the early 90s to see how professionalism utterly transforms a sport
Yep i wish some of our guys could cross a ball like Lucy Bronze lol

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This.

The ‘media love in’ is very frustrating to some, and it is over the top for where the sport currently is.
However…it’s the needed injection and leg-up to let the sport grow into something befitting the coverage.
The enthusiasm and audience is growing, the standard and professionalism is growing, which very much justifies the point of ‘overselling the product’ to enable the rapid growth.

Monswolf

Reaction score
Have to say watching to game last some of the football played by England was top notch, as others have said if neves had hit some of the cross field balls people would be heaping massive praise on him (rightly so) regardless of the opposition.

I think the highest praise i can offer is that our centre forward in the game (apologies for not knowing the names of the top of my head) reminded me of a certain Harry Kane and for me the player of the game was our right winger who put some crosses into the box that David Beckham would of been proud off

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The French womens team is superb as well, anyone who beats them will probably win the tournament

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say watching to game last some of the football played by England was top notch, as others have said if neves had hit some of the cross field balls people would be heaping massive praise on him (rightly so) regardless of the opposition.

I think the highest praise i can offer is that our centre forward in the game (apologies for not knowing the names of the top of my head) reminded me of a certain Harry Kane and for me the player of the game was our right winger who put some crosses into the box that David Beckham would of been proud off
That would be Beth Mead and Hellen White then,winger and striker :)

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the highlights and while the physical side of the game seemed to be lower than the men's game (as expected, it's why we don't have Venus v Roger in the tennis), the tactical awareness was really astute. One of the goals was lovely as (Mee?) dinked between a few players and dispatched with aplomb.

I think if that was scored at any Euros, men or women, we would be rightly lauding it.

It's probably to far to say that a woman would ever be part of a men's team at professional level, but I can certainly see the day when a women's manager is boss of an elite club. Tactics are (mostly) reliant on the intelligence and discipline of a team to execute it (pressing is something that can be used in all forms of the game) and there's no reason why tactics developed in the women's game can't be applied to men's and vice versa.

Good to see an England team do well (again) at a home tournament. Hopefully the men can do something similar in the coming months.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the highlights and while the physical side of the game seemed to be lower than the men's game (as expected, it's why we don't have Venus v Roger in the tennis), the tactical awareness was really astute. One of the goals was lovely as (Mee?) dinked between a few players and dispatched with aplomb.

I think if that was scored at any Euros, men or women, we would be rightly lauding it.

It's probably to far to say that a woman would ever be part of a men's team at professional level, but I can certainly see the day when a women's manager is boss of an elite club. Tactics are (mostly) reliant on the intelligence and discipline of a team to execute it (pressing is something that can be used in all forms of the game) and there's no reason why tactics developed in the women's game can't be applied to men's and vice versa.

Good to see an England team do well (again) at a home tournament. Hopefully the men can do something similar in the coming months.
Meade scored that goal had a great game all round

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Although she wasn’t on the scoresheet I thought Keira Walsh had an absolutely terrific game in midfield last night. An outstanding performance that most people probably didn’t notice because of the mayhem Mead and Hemp were causing.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Just put Germany v Spain on.Is there a more boring commentator than Jonathan Pearce .Talks incessanty with a monotone delivery with little or no game commentary so far,just waffle.

Last edited:

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although she wasn’t on the scoresheet I thought Keira Walsh had an absolutely terrific game in midfield last night. An outstanding performance that most people probably didn’t notice because of the mayhem Mead and Hemp were causing.
Same for me. She was outstanding

Last edited by a moderator:

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good game tonight, good standard between Germany and Spain

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
R

reanswolf

This.

The ‘media love in’ is very frustrating to some, and it is over the top for where the sport currently is.
However…it’s the needed injection and leg-up to let the sport grow into something befitting the coverage.
The enthusiasm and audience is growing, the standard and professionalism is growing, which very much justifies the point of ‘overselling the product’ to enable the rapid growth.
I agree it’s refreshing and good, being an old grumpy git I just hate it when things are manufactured. Sky have so much influence over our thought processes these days, and whilst it is good that womens football is promoted and growing, it just highlights the power of the media.

It should be demand and supply based, personally I am not invested in it , just in Wolves, so I find the forced viewing annoying. Before anyone jumps down my throat and says you don’t have to watch it, of course that is very true. It needs to grow to the demand supply of mens football to have my true respect, but then I do get that it needs publicity to grow. Personally, if there was a publicised schedule saying when mens and womens footy was on, I would watch even less womens football than I do, but as I can’t predict what comes on when (other than actual matches), you become subject to it.

What will be next on SSN, e-sports getting 50% of airtime? Ok I exaggerate but literally if SSN choose to go that way, the public will be subject to viewing it.

The power of social media platforms like Sky is alarming to this old chap, but perfectly normal and acceptable to younger people.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree it’s refreshing and good, being an old grumpy git I just hate it when things are manufactured. Sky have so much influence over our thought processes these days, and whilst it is good that womens football is promoted and growing, it just highlights the power of the media.

It should be demand and supply based, personally I am not invested in it , just in Wolves, so I find the forced viewing annoying. Before anyone jumps down my throat and says you don’t have to watch it, of course that is very true. It needs to grow to the demand supply of mens football to have my true respect, but then I do get that it needs publicity to grow. Personally, if there was a publicised schedule saying when mens and womens footy was on, I would watch even less womens football than I do, but as I can’t predict what comes on when (other than actual matches), you become subject to it.

What will be next on SSN, e-sports getting 50% of airtime? Ok I exaggerate but literally if SSN choose to go that way, the public will be subject to viewing it.

The power of social media platforms like Sky is alarming to this old chap, but perfectly normal and acceptable to younger people.
I dont think Sky have shown any womens football to be fair,its usually ITV and now BBC with the Euros

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sky have actually shown a few Fifa games being played

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The viewing figures have been good. The grounds have been full of youngsters. There is demand, which is growing, so there absolutely should be supply.

Besides, this supply utterly pales in comparison to coverage of the mens game where you can watch dozens of matches a week from every league under the sun.

There's a place for everything in the modern age. It ain't 1990 with 4 TV channels and no internet.

Back
Top Bottom