Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The game taken in isolation, hasn’t been too bad. Still can’t see the ‘quality’ that others see. Although I’ll admit, it’s been refreshing to see a corner kick beat the first person.
The Iceland France game was one of the poorer ones tbf
France,Spain,England ,Germany,Netherlands play some quality stuff imo
The England Spain game could be a cracker if both teams play well
People looking for comparisons with the mens game are going to be disappointed, there are none, except the basic round thing they kick about
Just take it for what it is and enjoy watching our girls do well

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People looking for comparisons with the mens game are going to be disappointed, there are none, except the basic round thing they kick about
It’s not a comparison with the men’s game, it’s a judgement on the quality of football. Just the same if I was judging a League or non-league game.
I’m going to be watching tonight. Glory hunter ain’t I. :)

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I've enjoyed quite few of the games to date but that I thought the standard of that one last night was really poor. You can see that the women's game is developing now at different paces in different countries and that's being reflected in the quality of the football and some of the results we're seeing. And yes this weird passive-aggressive levelling up agenda that the media seems to have with women's sport, or the traditionally male sports of football and cricket, does nothing to further their cause. Not seeing it quite so much in Rugby to be fair.

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn’t the US national team lose quite heavily to a boys U-15 school team? So anyone that’s played for their secondary school team would be a higher level.
Not sure it was a school team but women’s professionals have lost to boys/youth teams of a decent level quite heavily.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure it was a school team but women’s professionals have lost to boys/youth teams of a decent level quite heavily.
I’ve just looked. It was FC Dallas’ U-15s

Australia lost 7-0 to Newcastle Jets U-15s too.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I coach girls football at various ages. I think technically there is a massive improvement on the way. Girls are getting into it younger and the lower age groups are going to be much better (much better) when they reach adulthood than the current teams.
I’d say my better younger girls are technically better than a lot of the boys of the same age at my club. Once puberty hits though and testosterone becomes a factor it’s game over from a strength & power point of view and all the technique in the world can’t offset it.
I also find in general (I stress in general not ALL) that boys watch more football and as such have a better understanding of the game. They are also more likely to play/practice independently.
As a final note I also find girls to be much more ‘coachable’ as they listen and try and perform what’s asked. I have my u11 girls playing multiple styles of the same system and understanding things like pressing triggers. Again a sweeping generalisation.
Spot on mate.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've enjoyed quite few of the games to date but that I thought the standard of that one last night was really poor. You can see that the women's game is developing now at different paces in different countries and that's being reflected in the quality of the football and some of the results we're seeing. And yes this weird passive-aggressive levelling up agenda that the media seems to have with women's sport, or the traditionally male sports of football and cricket, does nothing to further their cause. Not seeing it quite so much in Rugby to be fair.
Ffs you try running about in that heat for 90 mins.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't get what people are trying to prove with comparisons to the men's game and particularly examples of U15's boys beating women's international teams?
What are you saying? "Give it up love, you'll never be as good as men"
We now have a game that gives pleasure to millions of players and spectators around the world and gives the opportunity for girls and young women to participate in a sport at all levels from social and community to professional and international. Where is the problem? It is a different game. A closely related game but different.
Do you think a featherweight boxer should be able to step in the ring with a heavyweight, or that it would somehow prove anything by matching them, or that the skills of one are less than another?
I am a Rugby League fan and I personally think it is a better game to watch and play, but I can still appreciate Union. Those nonsense games some years ago, where Wigan played Bath using composite rules, proved absolutely nothing about the merits of either code. Different games.
Can't we just appreciate the women's game for what it is? Yes there is some hype, at top level, that is sometimes a bit over the top, but anyone who takes interest in men's international football must surely be used to that? Or do we really believe those players are actually "worth" the millions they are traded for?

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t the US national team lose quite heavily to a boys U-15 school team? So anyone that’s played for their secondary school team would be a higher level.
They lost 5-2 to FC Dallas U15's in 2017 but it needs context. In the US, they call it a scrimmage where they make wholesale changes to the team and formation as the game goes on. Basically, testing things out in the lead up to a major tournament. Naturally, some folks will judge based on the scoreline but it really meant next to nothing.

Having watched the USWNT many times over the last decade, I rather doubt that if this had been a truly competitive match that the scoreline would have been anywhere near this victory for the U15 team.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't get what people are trying to prove with comparisons to the men's game and particularly examples of U15's boys beating women's international teams?
What are you saying? "Give it up love, you'll never be as good as men"
We now have a game that gives pleasure to millions of players and spectators around the world and gives the opportunity for girls and young women to participate in a sport at all levels from social and community to professional and international. Where is the problem? It is a different game. A closely related game but different.
Do you think a featherweight boxer should be able to step in the ring with a heavyweight, or that it would somehow prove anything by matching them, or that the skills of one are less than another?
I am a Rugby League fan and I personally think it is a better game to watch and play, but I can still appreciate Union. Those nonsense games some years ago, where Wigan played Bath using composite rules, proved absolutely nothing about the merits of either code. Different games.
Can't we just appreciate the women's game for what it is? Yes there is some hype, at top level, that is sometimes a bit over the top, but anyone who takes interest in men's international football must surely be used to that? Or do we really believe those players are actually "worth" the millions they are traded for?
Well said, if hype was a valid reason to diss a sport then the Premier League and the Sky 6 would be the most "dissed" in history. The positive effects on girls and women of all ages make the petty whinges: "it's not the same" "Why are they forcing us to watch/read about it" etc both irrelevant and, quite frankly, pathetic.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't been impressed by Spain at all. Reckon we'll take em 3-0

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really looking forward to it and I would not have said that a few years ago!

Must be the influence of all that forced coverage on SSN that Reans has warned us about
I havnt watched SSN for years and I’m looking forward to the game. Weird.

R

reanswolf

Really looking forward to it and I would not have said that a few years ago!

Must be the influence of all that forced coverage on SSN that Reans has warned us about
Classic misrepresentation and miss-quote yet again. I never said people were forced to watch it, I said that IMO it was proportionately OTT. Thickayya ;)

Only joking, but lots of others made the same point about certain elements of the press.

Good luck tonight girls. Genuinely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Classic misrepresentation and miss-quote yet again. I never said people were forced to watch it, I said that IMO it was proportionately OTT. Thickayya ;)

Only joking, but lots of others made the same point about certain elements of the press.

Good luck tonight girls. Genuinely.
In the spirit of reconciliation Reans (as I think the criticism of you in now getting a bit OTT and I don't like pile ons) you might enjoy this tongue in cheek Adrian Chiles article. I know he's an Albion fan but I like him, and when I met him a while back on the train he was a very decent bloke. Absolutely hates Wolves and I hate Albion, and he said that's exactly the way it should be!

I’ve been loving the women’s football – but could mixed matches be the future? | Adrian Chiles

R

reanswolf

In the spirit of reconciliation Reans (as I think the criticism of you in now getting a bit OTT and I don't like pile ons) you might enjoy this tongue in cheek Adrian Chiles article. I know he's an Albion fan but I like him, and when I met him a while back on the train he was a very decent bloke. Absolutely hates Wolves and I hate Albion, and he said that's exactly the way it should be!

I’ve been loving the women’s football – but could mixed matches be the future? | Adrian Chiles
Thank you mate, I had always had you down as a decent poster.
I'll have a gander later, just on the way out for a few pints.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First goal will be the winner
Need to move the ball faster,they are not great at the back,but they will pass it around all night

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some really bad coaching involved when we keep taking the easy option rather than going for the jugular. It seems to be bred into the England game, both male and female and it is never going to win any trophies! Bad positioning by the defender behind the goalkeeper.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m watching on my laptop with no volume - why wasn’t that a pen?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked like a blatant pen to me! Compare that to some of the stuff given in the PL!

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good pressure by England says the commentator. But it isn't as it has not produced a single goal attempt!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Spain have been excellent. England just don’t have the pace to get in behind the Spanish backline like they have against other teams.

Best bet may be to throw Millie Bright up top and go more direct…

Back
Top Bottom