Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dire, but no worse than the other 2 forwards tonight. One of whom cost 3 times as much, the other expected to be more than double. At least he has shown he can, on occasion, come up with a good finish. Something we lack from our forwards, Raul excluded, of course.

For the price, 12 million-ish, an acceptable squad player. Strikes me as a far better deal that double that for Trincao who looks even less suited for the Premier league, not even a player you want available as backup.

I'd like to see us try 2 up front more, playing closer together, similar to how Raul and Jota were. This 3 forwards, especially with the ultra-lightweight, unproductive showboaters we have, feels past it's sell by date - unless we can get Neto up to peak fast.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the issue with this system, We rely on wide attackers to contribute goals and assists and ours dont. Trincao doesnt, Hwang doesnt, Traore didnt when he was here, Podence isnt that great in that sort of role. The rest of them get a pass for various reasons. You have to get the right players for the system. We are trying to shoehorn players who dont fit.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the issue with this system, We rely on wide attackers to contribute goals and assists and ours dont. Trincao doesnt, Hwang doesnt, Traore didnt when he was here, Podence isnt that great in that sort of role. The rest of them get a pass for various reasons. You have to get the right players for the system. We are trying to shoehorn players who dont fit.

And then add in the wing backs that generally don't create either. Jonny being back is huge but then he goes and drops the threat from the other side ffs.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The leipzig fans are not saying anything different about him than any of you. Anonymous and ineffective.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The leipzig fans are not saying anything different about him than any of you. Anonymous and ineffective.
In defence of Hwang - and no, I also don't think he's the dogs *******s - there was a Mixer on here when we first signed him and who had watched him regularly in Germany. He/she made the point that Hwang looked a far better player when central rather than out wide.

From what I've seen of him, I would agree.

One decent piece of work last night, jinking inside defenders twice on the edge of the area with a (blocked) shot at the end.

Yes, not great stuff but he does look out of position playing wide left, so maybe some of the criticism is a bit OTT.

In my opinion.

Now, where did I put that tin hat?

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t sign goalscorers. All you have to do is look at the stats over the last few years to see this

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t sign goalscorers. All you have to do is look at the stats over the last few years to see this
They cost money and we’ll need to sell a few decent players first to make any available

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dire, but no worse than the other 2 forwards tonight. One of whom cost 3 times as much, the other expected to be more than double. At least he has shown he can, on occasion, come up with a good finish. Something we lack from our forwards, Raul excluded, of course.

For the price, 12 million-ish, an acceptable squad player. Strikes me as a far better deal that double that for Trincao who looks even less suited for the Premier league, not even a player you want available as backup.

I'd like to see us try 2 up front more, playing closer together, similar to how Raul and Jota were. This 3 forwards, especially with the ultra-lightweight, unproductive showboaters we have, feels past it's sell by date - unless we can get Neto up to peak fast.
Fabio was left isolated but put himself about and showed odd glimpses of good play. I’d give Fabio 5.5/10, Hwang would get 1/10 and that’s for putting his shirt on the right way round. He’s up there with Cutrone as the worst signing in our history.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have got to realise that goal-scorers are expensive , at this level.
We have a list of cut price failures. If you sell one of your best for £45 million you go out and reinvest in another .
Lets not forget Mir and Cutrone , to add to our present crew , who can’t get a dozen goals between them all year.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be honest, we got lucky with Raul scoring loads of goals when he signed. His record prior to signing wasn't great. I'm getting frustrated with FOSUN signing forward players who don't score goals.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was all a bit odd in January, we did come out and say we were going to sign him; but as far as I could understand, we didn’t actually make the deal permanent.

Therefore I wonder if we may yet back out of it?

I don’t wanna knock the lad too much, he’s an okay player and seems a decent character; but we desperately need something more and with limited funds it seems a daft purchase.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
It was all a bit odd in January, we did come out and say we were going to sign him; but as far as I could understand, we didn’t actually make the deal permanent.

Therefore I wonder if we may yet back out of it?

I don’t wanna knock the lad too much, he’s an okay player and seems a decent character; but we desperately need something more and with limited funds it seems a daft purchase.

It’s 100% agreed. Just delaying the payment until the next financial period.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Had one real talent when he came, being in the right place at the right time in the box. Now he hardly ever gets in the box.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio was left isolated but put himself about and showed odd glimpses of good play. I’d give Fabio 5.5/10, Hwang would get 1/10 and that’s for putting his shirt on the right way round. He’s up there with Cutrone as the worst signing in our history.

Robert Taylor
Frankowski
O’Hara
Roger Johnson
Greg Halford

They are the worst signings in our history!

Thank God we didn’t sign Jesus Vallejo or he would have been right up there as well.

I haven’t mentioned Joe Gallagher, Mark Buckland, Ray Hankin or Adam Hamill either.

Or Alan Boswell or Derek Jefferson going further back

Just saying..

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Starting to think £14 million for Hwang is a bit steep tbh

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huang is perfectly ok centrally and in the box but absolutely useless out wide. His control is terrible and he just doesn't get in the game at all. Get him in the box and he knows what to do tho.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with Hwang unlike some here. I think there's a player there. But seems to have lost some confidence since he came back from injury. Hes not taking on players and tries to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible - mostly backwards. He's not driving forwards like he can. Not sure if that is what he's been told to do. But currently he is not the same player we saw at the start of the season. On current form, he is a squad player at best.
It's up to Bruno to the best out of him. He's got the basics.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's not good. But that is ridiculous hyperbole! At least Hwang has scored 5 in the Premier League, there are bigger signings who never managed that. Cutrone cost more, too. As did Costa, who though OK in the Championship, did even less in the Premier than Hwang. OK, I'm scraping the barrel, I just don't think Hwang is anywhere near "worst signing in our history". We lost a football match, most of the team were terrible, it looks like Hwang is the scapegoat. (what happened to giving overseas players a season to settle?)

Though the race isn't over, Fabio is still the front runner , far in the lead, for the biggest amount of money wasted in our history.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with Hwang unlike some here. I think there's a player there. But seems to have lost some confidence since he came back from injury. Hes not taking on players and tries to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible - mostly backwards. He's not driving forwards like he can. Not sure if that is what he's been told to do. But currently he is not the same player we saw at the start of the season. On current form, he is a squad player at best.
It's up to Bruno to the best out of him. He's got the basics.

This 100%. It's just so "football fan goldfish memory" to forget that when we couldn't buy a goal earlier in the season, he looked decent and delivered some crucial goals.

He's looked way off it in recent weeks - though Podence has also had spells of looking way off it. As have most players. Could be confidence, or not fully fit, minor injury. Why does Hwang not get a "full season", heard this rolled out in relation to Trincao, who has been poor consistenly from match 1.

And at his price, was he ever anything else than a squad player? What frustrates me is that many say "the fee means nothing" with Fabio, but this last day, the £12M for Hwang has been rolled out again and again. Can someone please explain consistently and rationally when we should ignore a players fee and when the fee is everything? Maybe I'm strange, but I expect more from players who cost more. Hwang is a squad player fee at this level. Fabio and Trincao are "Marquee signing" fees. And £12M is not a bad deal for 5 Premier league goals, anyway.

I don't get why it always has to be so extreme, the abusive hate campaigns against Semedo last season, another example. It's the twisting around to stick the knife in the current scapegoat. "Ah, but Hwangs goals were tap ins". Yet if Fabio scores a tap in "that just shows he's world class at being in the right position". :oops:

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I have seen of Hwang recently I would welcome Costa and Cav back with open arms and neither of them are in any way the answer. Lets not beat about the bush. We were effectively playing with nine men in the first half with him and Trincao on the pitch. Both vanished.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do sign him then hopefully we swap him for Kaly Sene in the summer.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
From what I have seen of Hwang recently I would welcome Costa and Cav back with open arms and neither of them are in any way the answer. Lets not beat about the bush. We were effectively playing with nine men in the first half with him and Trincao on the pitch. Both vanished.
Almost agree with Cav and Costa. In their form with us it's a definite yes, think they're both better options than Hwang. Not sure what they are like now, a few years later.

In a slight defence of Hwang, he did try to create a few of his own opportunities in the second half last night. He cut into the box two or three times when there was nothing on (which was pretty much all of the time) and had some shots which were blocked. Overall though, him and Trincao looked powderpuff, blunt, and lacking in intent and pace.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t see it. I mean, I want to, but I just can’t. Admittedly he would be better more centrally but he contributes absolutely nothing to the team and hasn’t since Newcastle at home, barring a tap in. I would rather Chem Campbell play for the rest of the season than persevering with Hwang.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d love for our genius Scott Sellars to explain to us why we made him permanent in January rather than waiting until the end of the season to make a decision.
There were murmurings in the press (probably put out there by his agent and club) that other sides were sniffing round him in the run up to January. It’s like Sellars panicked and pulled the trigger.

That said, it seems Bruno rates him so he must have something in mind for him.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were murmurings in the press (probably put out there by his agent and club) that other sides were sniffing round him in the run up to January. It’s like Sellars panicked and pulled the trigger.

That said, it seems Bruno rates him so he must have something in mind for him.
But they couldn't do anything as we have first rights.

He did it after we let Adama go to try and keep the fans happy

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 goal in his last 15 games, after 4 in his first 6. Largely anonymous. We haven't had a forward who flattered to deceive like this since Bonatini.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage wanted him and got him, but hey ok blame Sellars
I remember Lage saying in an early interview that Hwang was someone the club had been monitoring for some time and thought highly of. It didn't seem like it was his choice and doesn't look like the kind of player that fits his style of play.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like Lage is very much the coach hired to make the best out of the squad he has inherited. He does not have the authority, or the financial backing, to choose who we sign. The Hwang deal was in place. He may have agreed to it, but what were his options? Either way he has to say he really wanted him.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robert Taylor
Frankowski
O’Hara
Roger Johnson
Greg Halford

They are the worst signings in our history!

Thank God we didn’t sign Jesus Vallejo or he would have been right up there as well.

I haven’t mentioned Joe Gallagher, Mark Buckland, Ray Hankin or Adam Hamill either.

Or Alan Boswell or Derek Jefferson going further back

Just saying..
Where is "The Neck" in that list?

Back
Top Bottom