Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs Burnley. The verdict.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheffield United and Fulham has two very recent examples

As I said in another thread, he is one of the most expensive players we’ve ever signed and likely to be the highest earner in our history, if we’re defending him by saying he had a decent game against 2 relegated sides that’s not much of a defence. He defended ok in those games, but he is still not offering anything going forward, it’s been 31 games now and he and Traore still look like strangers. He’s lightweight, stands off players and makes basic errors. He may look comfortable with the ball at his feet but he’s not doing anything with it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you play Burnley you have to pin them back and play in their half, pressing from the front. If you drop off and let them have the ball you may as well not turn up because all they will do is get balls into the box time and time again. We did this last season (Mike Dean penalty game) and should have been out of sight before they equalised.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno interview

Nuno: "Very bad performance. Too many things (went wrong), hard to explain. Bad defending, not the right decisions under pressure, Burnley pressed us, we didn't have movement to go out of that pressure. We defended very bad every time."

"I will not go by mentality or character, we are the same players and staff as last week. It's about not taking the right decisions. It's not to do with the attitude."

Today is not the path they should take. I will not allow it.

"It was a tough day. We did many mistakes we shouldn't do. I'm disappointed with many, many things. Everybody was without mobility."
So why did he stick with exactly same system and players after 20 mins when most working?

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, he is one of the most expensive players we’ve ever signed and likely to be the highest earner in our history, if we’re defending him by saying he had a decent game against 2 relegated sides that’s not much of a defence. He defended ok in those games, but he is still not offering anything going forward, it’s been 31 games now and he and Traore still look like strangers. He’s lightweight, stands off players and makes basic errors. He may look comfortable with the ball at his feet but he’s not doing anything with it.

Changing the goal posts now?

I'm not sure who you've been watching. Semedo has the third most passes and third most tackles over 90 minutes out of all our players.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm not sure who you've been watching. Semedo has the third most passes and third most tackles over 90 minutes out of all our players.

How is it changing the goalposts?

He’s made a lot of passes but to who and where? He has only produced 1 assist. Considering the way we play he will always get the ball a lot because that’s how we build. To make that stat more relevant it would also have to be balanced against minutes on the field, of course he’d have more touches and passes because he’s played far more regularly than most.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is it changing the goalposts?

He’s made a lot of passes but to who and where? He has only produced 1 assist. Considering the way we play he will always get the ball a lot because that’s how we build. To make that stat more relevant it would also have to be balanced against minutes on the field, of course he’d have more touches and passes because he’s played far more regularly than most.
You asked me to name games where he'd played well recently as you couldn't think of any so I did. Now you say they don't count.

If you can't see what Semedos role is in this team there isn't much point continuing this.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You asked me to name games where he'd played well recently as you couldn't think of any so I did. Now you say they don't count.

If you can't see what Semedos role is in this team there isn't much point continuing this.

Not what I said. You said he’d played well for a number of matches, I asked which, you responded, and then so did I. I didn’t say they didn’t count I said it’s concerning that that’s what you and others are basing opinions on.

Ok tell me what his role is, make the case for him. Give examples of where his play has been important to us. Because I can give you a long list of where his technically flawed defending has cost us goals

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d argue that if there were fans then we wouldn’t put in that kind of performance?
:D:D
Conversely at 3 nil down at halftime it could have had the boo boys in full song and made it even worse second half.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not what I said. You said he’d played well for a number of matches, I asked which, you responded, and then so did I. I didn’t say they didn’t count I said it’s concerning that that’s what you and others are basing opinions on.

Ok tell me what his role is, make the case for him. Give examples of where his play has been important to us. Because I can give you a long list of where his technically flawed defending has cost us goals
Go on then

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think he has improved hugely since his well below par start but he looks like he has a defensive clanger in him every game and has shown very little (if any) end product up the other end. Disappointing signing for me ... especially at the price we paid.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he has improved hugely since his well below par start but he looks like he has a defensive clanger in him every game and has shown very little (if any) end product up the other end. Disappointing signing for me ... especially at the price we paid.
All of our players have had disappointing numbers around end product.

Semedo tend to act as a third midfielder though rather than an assister. He gets the ball in tight spaces and keeps possession. He has a different role to Doc, Doc would often be the extra man popping up in the box and he was very good at it. Semedos role isn't that, it's to keep possession around the box.

Semedo does look like he has a decent delivery on him from the FKs he's started taking recently.

Coffer Wolf

Reaction score
Pleanty on here were having dickie fits a few seasons ago when we were linked with wood.
You couldn't make it up...........

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of our players have had disappointing numbers around end product.

Semedo tend to act as a third midfielder though rather than an assister. He gets the ball in tight spaces and keeps possession. He has a different role to Doc, Doc would often be the extra man popping up in the box and he was very good at it. Semedos role isn't that, it's to keep possession around the box.

Semedo does look like he has a decent delivery on him from the FKs he's started taking recently.
Good points Andy ... I just expected more ... a lot more.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Good points Andy ... I just expected more ... a lot more.
On the basis that I think Semedo has been much improved and more consistent as the seasons gone on I’m willing to believe we’ll see much more from him next season.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
very much glad i was dragged shopping by the missus and didn't watch that, was going to watch highlights but what's the point another dog ****e performance from what i gather after two creaky performances against the bottom three.

show no heart desire, passion or skill on Monday and we will have lost a 6 pointer and twice to baggies. it's imperative after the last debacle at home we win that game

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go on then
Southampton Home - Completely unaware of his surroundings allows Walcott to tap home a low cross
Villa Home - allows McGinn to get the wrong side of him and makes clumsy challenge conceding pen
Palace Away - playing on the left he doesn’t get tight when tracking their player and allows the ball back infield that they ultimately score from
Arsenal home - turned inside out by Pepe who left him on the floor
Southampton Away - Halfheartedly dangles a foot as Armstrong runs past him to cross for Ings
West Ham Home - fails to get tight to Lingard as he’s running into the corner allowing him to turn and lift the ball infield
Burnley Home - backs away from passback by Traore allowing McNeil to nip in ahead of him

Now I’m not saying he is the only one who is to blame in those instances and he is certainly not alone in making mistakes this season. But, it’s important to be honest here, all the above are issues with his technical defending. He is not aggressive or tight to players. I’m not comparing him to Doherty here by the way the best comparison is to Jonny and how he would have dealt with many of those same instances.

D

Deleted member 11332

Southampton Home - Completely unaware of his surroundings allows Walcott to tap home a low cross
Villa Home - allows McGinn to get the wrong side of him and makes clumsy challenge conceding pen
Palace Away - playing on the left he doesn’t get tight when tracking their player and allows the ball back infield that they ultimately score from
Southampton Away - Halfheartedly dangles a foot as Armstrong runs past him to cross for Ings
West Ham Home - fails to get tight to Lingard as he’s running into the corner allowing him to turn and lift the ball infield
Burnley Home - backs away from passback by Traore allowing McNeil to nip in ahead of him

Now I’m not saying he is the only one who is to blame in those instances and he is certainly not alone in making mistakes this season. But, it’s important to be honest here, all the above are issues with his technical defending. He is not aggressive or tight to players. I’m not comparing him to Doherty here by the way the best comparison is to Jonny and how he would have dealt with many of those same instances.

That was saiss today not Semedo I think pal. I would watch it again to confirm but think the telly would be used as a frisbee.

Armstrong wasn't even Semedos man, it was Traores, Semedo tried to cover for that but was off balance as he was staying with the man he was marking.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The first two I'd agree with, the rest are debatable. The last two are nonsense.

West ham

Lingard knocks the ball past him, Semedo then beats Lingard in a foot race to the ball but another West ham player beats Dendoncker in collecting the loose ball. What more do you expect Semedo to do here?

Burnley

That was Saiss that Adama tried to pass to. Even then that entire goal is on Adama ****ing about on the edge of our box before playing an absolutely suicidal ball.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Says it all that young RAN was I reckon our best player and at least looked like he gave a ****. The more experienced players an absolute disgrace and looked like they couldnt have given a ****. Makes you wonder what the likes of Otasowie, MGW from the start, Vitinha from the start, maybe even Corbeanu could have done if Nuno had the balls to try a couple of them rather than wheel out the same players who have failed in so many games this season.

It is all so dull and predictable and I include Nuno's management and his coaches coaching in this at the moment. It is dire dire stuff.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was saiss today not Semedo I think pal. I would watch it again to confirm but think the telly would be used as a frisbee.

Armstrong wasn't even Semedos man, it was Traores, Semedo tried to cover for that but was off balance as he was staying with the man he was marking.

Afraid it was definitely Semedo today not Saiss.
The Armstrong one is an example of his fundamental technical flaw. Like I said I’m not saying he was the only one to blame, Dendoncker also makes an awful effort of blocking that cross and yes Traore should stay with him. But the unfortunate truth is that Armstrong runs directly at Semedo who rather than being low and positioned to force Armstrong to either run into him or towards the touch line, he is as you say off balance and dangles a foot out. That is not good defending. It’s a body shape thing and all too often he doesn’t get himself into the right position to deal with these things whereas if you watch Jonny it’s the opposite.

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
Absolute sh*te. Been on a downward curve for too long now, no ideas, no confidence, no momentum, we will be amongst the favourites for relegation next season unless their are changes.
Love Nuno for what he’s achieved but i feel we need a shake up in the management and fresh ideas.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first two I'd agree with, the rest are debatable. The last two are nonsense.

West ham

Lingard knocks the ball past him, Semedo then beats Lingard in a foot race to the ball but another West ham player beats Dendoncker in collecting the loose ball. What more do you expect Semedo to do here?

Burnley

That was Saiss that Adama tried to pass to. Even then that entire goal is on Adama ****ing about on the edge of our box before playing an absolutely suicidal ball.
BBC pundits got it right: the WHOLE TEAM were useless. No fight, no passion. Skill levels were poor. This is the complete unit not just specific individuals.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

West ham

Burnley

Lingard should never have been able to knock the ball past him. Watch that goal again, Lingard runs past him to reach the ball first, he is facing away from our goal in towards the corner flag. Semedo should be tight to him and crucially goal side so all Lingard can do is hold it up and wait for support. But Semedo does not get tight, he does not put pressure on and allows Lingard to turn and hook the ball into our area. Whether Semedo would’ve reached it before him or not is irrelevant, the damage was done.

Youre the second person to make that mistake, understandable you won’t want to watch it again but it was Semedo he is passing to I’m afraid and Semedo is on his heels and slow to react.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only positive from that **** shower today was that it gave me an excuse to get into the garden earlier than I had planned and do some well overdue pruning! That was singularly the worst first half performance I've ever seen from a team in old gold, given the so-called talent we have in the team/squad and where Burnley are in the league (although they're clearly much better than that). It was diabolical and we sank even below our pathetic standards, as far as first half no-shows go. This team clearly don't give a **** about this season. They clearly think that they don't owe us anything because we aint paying anymore! That's not our ****ing fault you bunch of mercenary ****s! The whole lot of them and Nuno can **** off!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting what we deserve. Set up that pathetically and you can't complain. Only real surprise is that anyone was fooled by the last two games 1-0 scorelines where we were comfortably second best in both.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decided Lidl was the better option after the 4th goal. I’ve never stopped watching wolves before the final whistle on TV before, or left early from a match, but that was painful.
I did at least carry on watching until the bitter end, but after their third goal, and for the very first time in my long life, I started watching and appreciating the opposition rather than my team.
Thats is how bad it was and how little we offered to this game.
Even now, a few hours later, I still cannot understand what happened today.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's saying the players characters can't be questioned, but the decisions they made can be.

I very much question the character and desire of quite a few of our players after today and I am shocked if Nuno doesnt.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is , that’s not the first time we’ve looked so
**** is it ? It’s almost becoming the norm. Except other teams haven’t taken advantage of how poor we have been. Today we were punished in no uncertain terms
We are carrying players out of form and playing others who shouldn’t get a place
Boly to me always looks a liability. The keeper doesn’t command his space. Dendoncker is a coward in tackles and Podence is an out and out cheat
We have no passion , no snotter in MF , way too defensive and very poor up top
How the **** have we amassed 41 points ? And make no mistake if hard decisions aren’t made and wholesale changes implemented we will 100% be relegated next year
All those looking forward to them coming up and gaining long overdue revenge in the BCD look a tad daft now. DONT YOU ???
It’s the entire team pretty much. Devoid of confidence and belief. I believe they are much better players than they are showing. It seems to me the predominantly negative way we play has drained the team. The few times this season when we have played more positively we have looked a far better team, and some of players have ‘come alive’.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was talking to my mate after the game and he was seething .. As was I. We talked about the defence and midfield and he said to me he'd heard something about that happened at the clear the air meeting a few months back that otasowie and max kilman spoke out about being treated harshly for errors they'd made and since then they've not had a look in. Surely kilman wouldn't have been any worse today.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I did at least carry on watching until the bitter end, but after their third goal, and for the very first time in my long life, I started watching and appreciating the opposition rather than my team.
Thats is how bad it was and how little we offered to this game.
Even now, a few hours later, I still cannot understand what happened today.
Spot on

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s an incredible shame that Nuno, even now, can’t mix it up a bit. Playing the same ****e week in week out is just shameful.

Zero miles an hour football, constantly passing square and backward. A long forward pass to Traore for him to **** about beating two defenders twice to either kick it at their heels or put it in row Z.

Was anyone playing on the left of the pitch today? One trick ponies with players that aren’t good enough.
If Nuno had started with the likes of Silva, Vitinha, Hoever then at least we could think it was next season he was looking towards, now that relegation has been avoided. But it was the same old.

Last edited:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Verdict from me. Just going to try and forget all about the football now and try and enjoy the rest of my Birthday which isn't going to be easy now.

Thanks Wolves :mad:
Happy birthday, despite what happened today. Sink a few, get some musac on, it'll make things a lot better

D

Deleted member 11332

Afraid it was definitely Semedo today not Saiss.
The Armstrong one is an example of his fundamental technical flaw. Like I said I’m not saying he was the only one to blame, Dendoncker also makes an awful effort of blocking that cross and yes Traore should stay with him. But the unfortunate truth is that Armstrong runs directly at Semedo who rather than being low and positioned to force Armstrong to either run into him or towards the touch line, he is as you say off balance and dangles a foot out. That is not good defending. It’s a body shape thing and all too often he doesn’t get himself into the right position to deal with these things whereas if you watch Jonny it’s the opposite.

But he's moving the opposite way to Armstrong as he's following his man that's why he's off balance. I get that being low when you are defending 1v1 it allows you to go either way but he wasn't defending Armstrong, he just tried to stick a leg out after Adama just stopped tracking him.

I'll take your word on the one today, the pass was awful but whoever it was they were on their heels.

Back
Top Bottom