Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

TheConcourse

Literally lead the club for its best 5 years in decades. Myth my ****.
The very argument is flawed.

What about the part Nuno played? Neves? Moutinho? Saiss? Ruddy?

He didn’t lead the club. Do you give Jeff the same credit? He actually did lead the club. Our most successful chairman.

None of them manufactured a move after sulking during pre-season.

You can disagree - no issue with that - but there’s nothing inconsistent with what I’ve said for ages. I question his ability as a leader versus talker.

I also think he’s a great guy who we needed when he came into the side and he’s done a really good job for 3/4 of 5 years.

Let’s not stifle debate. Not healthy.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He didn’t lead the club. Do you give Jeff the same credit? He actually did lead the club. Our most successful chairman.

You can disagree - no issue with that - but there’s nothing inconsistent with what I’ve said for ages. I question his ability as a leader versus talker.

I also think he’s a great guy who we needed when he came into the side and he’s done a really good job for 3/4 of 5 years.

I should have said team not club.

On the pitch, where it counts, he has clearly been a leader for 5 years. If you dismiss it as talking not leading then we’ll just have to disagree.

As Iv said previously, it must have hurt him to realise that it was over this summer, but quite how people expect him to “fight for his place” when his place doesn’t exist anymore is beyond me.

T

TheConcourse

I should have said team not club.

On the pitch, where it counts, he has clearly been a leader for 5 years. If you dismiss it as talking not leading then we’ll just have to disagree.

As Iv said previously, it must have hurt him to realise that it was over this summer, but quite how people expect him to “fight for his place” when his place doesn’t exist anymore is beyond me.
My worry for Coady is that he’s gone to Everton at a time when they’re in trouble.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to me if Lampard is gone within 6 months.

Let’s see how it plays out, but I hope he’s made the right decision and he doesn’t end up on the bench at Everton.

No hard feelings btw.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually respect him more for realising his playing time was going to be limited and wishing to find a new challenge.

Not sure Everton is the right place at the minute, but must have had some assurances.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry for Coady is that he’s gone to Everton at a time when they’re in trouble.

Let’s see how it plays out, but I hope he’s made the right decision and he doesn’t end up on the bench at Everton.

No hard feelings btw.
Haha no hard feelings at all.

Apart from players like Haaland pretty much every transfer has an element of risk, Ronaldos move to Man United hasn’t played out well, so yes you could be right.

The flip side is he could go there, a big club who’ve struggled badly, help to get them organised and turn results round and be a big player for them.

Regardless, For me there is no way he should have stayed here. To go from the ever present captain to sitting on the bench at 29 wouldn’t work.

Personally I’m actually glad the option of 5 at the back has been taken away to a certain extent. I really want to see the 4 work (been bored for a long time watching us). Another possible upside of Coady being allowed to leave is the impact on Kilman and Collins. Surely it’s a big nod to those 2 lads basically saying “we trust you and want to move on with you as our main men”? Would hope it’s given them both a lot of confidence.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ah, now that's what I've been trying to say a few times, but better phrased!

People just seem to love saying he should "fight for his place" because they like using faux tough language. It's a nice, easy, emotive, but ultimately meaningless thing to say. And I'm sure they'd have soon turned into saying we need his wages off the books when we stick with a back 4 anyway, if he'd stuck around to fight for his place (i.e. go to training and try hard, something he will always do anyway).

T

TheConcourse

Ah, now that's what I've been trying to say a few times, but better phrased!

People just seem to love saying he should "fight for his place" because they like using faux tough language. It's a nice, easy, emotive, but ultimately meaningless thing to say. And I'm sure they'd have soon turned into saying we need his wages off the books when we stick with a back 4 anyway, if he'd stuck around to fight for his place (i.e. go to training and try hard, something he will always do anyway).
How is it faux tough language?

Guessing you mean it’s not a realistic expectation because he isn’t going to improve beyond where he is now at 29. Definitely valid.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how it's going to go for him at Everton given their fans track record with anyone with a red connection. I would suspect quite a few cannot wait to stick the knife in. I noticed quite a few derogatory comments about his brother on his signing. Trouble is that if Lampard gets desperate due to injuries and plays him in a four he is going to get shown up horridly.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is it faux tough language?

Guessing you mean it’s not a realistic expectation because he isn’t going to improve beyond where he is now at 29. Definitely valid.

Because there's no actual fighting going on, is how I meant it. And yet it seems to almost unanimously be the phrase used by anyone wanting to knock him a little.

What Coady needs to do is be prepared to go to war, to fight for his place, be the leader you want in the trenches next to you.

What does that actually mean?

He needs to go to training and give 100% effort (if not 110% or more...). Something I believe he would always do anyway, for us, England, Everton, or Soccer Aid; and something he's never been accused of failing to do. To me, staying at Wolves and fighting for his place would have been the easy thing to do, especially as he could always blame any failure to get back in on the formation change - going to a new club and trying to establish himself there is the harder (tougher?) option.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Just a random thought, I keep reading that Coady wanted to move to play regularly and keep his place in the WC squad, but him leaving is effectively an admission that he can’t play in a back 4, so if Southgate wants to keep his options open between a back 5 and 4 hasn’t Coady weakened his chances of been selected?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a random thought, I keep reading that Coady wanted to move to play regularly and keep his place in the WC squad, but him leaving is effectively an admission that he can’t play in a back 4, so if Southgate wants to keep his options open between a back 5 and 4 hasn’t Coady weakened his chances of been selected?
Coady is good in a back 4 when you play vastly inferior opposition, which sometimes happens in international football, but not in the prem. probably doesn’t happen at tournaments either.
Southgate will want him there as part of the squad as cover in both systems, possibly even first choice for a 3. But he’ll need to come into the tournament on form and playing,

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No hard feelings btw.

This is my worry, I can't see Lampard seeing the season out and the new guy might not want anything to do with Coady or a back 3, so we could end up with an unhappy Coady back at Wolves a year older with a year less on his contract who we could struggle to move on

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Football clubs, like all organisations, need more than one leader. Coady was certainly one of our key leaders, in and off the pitch.

Coady's leadership was partly through a formal hierarchy: he was club captain (off the pitch) and team captain (on it). But his leadership wasn't dependent on those positions and stemmed from his behaviour. He led by example, by listening, by organising, by encouraging, by taking responsibility, by his affability and by his care.

He wasn't alone among players: Saiss was an important character, Neves is key, and Moutinho leads in a very subtle but powerful way too.

In a football culture polluted by the idea of the bully-as-leader, Coady made himself one of few widely praised footballers-as-leaders in the English game.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

I actually think Eric Dier may end up taking Conor’s place. Winning rave reviews playing in a 3 under Conte.

Hoping Max can force his way in by getting back to the heights he hit in the first half of next season.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone seen the piece in the Liverpool Echo
Headline pundit says Wolves are a disgrace
Former Wolves fullback Jamie OHara says Wolves are a disgrace for letting Coady go
What a utter and complete ****** he is . He really should know what a disgrace is he was definitely one a big one

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's Coady, unfortunately.

Here he is. He's just been told he's now called Hwang, and he's a bit upset at the prospect of the crap "Hwanky" jokes all the other dogs will make! View attachment 29348
This is Olive, she was nearly named Coady but I wasn't allowed.

Attachments

• IMG-20220809-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220809-WA0012.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 7

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Former Wolves fullback Jamie OHara says Wolves are a disgrace for letting Coady go
What a utter and complete ****** he is . He really should know what a disgrace is he was definitely one a big one
He’s just such a bitter little man. You’d think he’d be less obvious about it it’s actually cringeworthy.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
The only disgrace is O’Hara. I’ll always forgive players for lack of ability but never lack of effort and that chancer couldn’t be ***** half the time.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite concerns raised here, it sounds like things are working out for Coady at Everton. Can’t fault his commitment for whoever he plays for, so I’m pleased for him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he will be signed i expect maybe in Jan, definitely by summer for Everton.

They will enact the clause

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Personally I think this is one that the club got right.

Conor wanted to play regular football, it wasn't likely to happen at Wolves, he was allowed to go and play at a club where that was going to happen, and I'd suggest the loan was also done on the basis of 'it it doesn't work out the door is open for you to come back' letting him keep his options open.

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he's already worn the captains armband at Everton and wish him nothing but the very best for the rest of his career and also hope that he also gets to play more of a part for England in the World Cup, especially as he's now proving he can play in a specific back 4 system.

I've no doubt that if he continues to get the Captains job at Everton he'll be gone (even perhaps if they get relegated). He was an incredible servant for Wolves, and there's no doubt that the place is a little less bright without him, but its great that he leaves us all with nothing but incredible memories.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For his career and the World Cup he needed to go and I will never begrudge him that. He is a shining example of what you can achieve with hard work and effort to maximise the ability you’ve got, there are plenty with more natural ability who would have had stellar careers if they had the same application. On top of that he was a fantastic captain, ambassador for the club and a genuinely good person.

Would he have worked in how Lage wants to play the back 4? I don’t know but his lack of pace would have been a worry in a high line. Neither Nuno nor Bruno really fancied him in a 4 and he often got pulled if that was the tactical switch. A forward thinking and innovative manager may have experimented at the end of last season to see whether it could or not.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think this is one that the club got right.

Conor wanted to play regular football, it wasn't likely to happen at Wolves, he was allowed to go and play at a club where that was going to happen, and I'd suggest the loan was also done on the basis of 'it it doesn't work out the door is open for you to come back' letting him keep his options open.

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he's already worn the captains armband at Everton and wish him nothing but the very best for the rest of his career and also hope that he also gets to play more of a part for England in the World Cup, especially as he's now proving he can play in a specific back 4 system.

I've no doubt that if he continues to get the Captains job at Everton he'll be gone (even perhaps if they get relegated). He was an incredible servant for Wolves, and there's no doubt that the place is a little less bright without him, but its great that he leaves us all with nothing but incredible memories.
I agree with this

Massive critic of Bruno but I can't fault this. Coady clearly clearly wanted to leave. We obviously decided he wasn't in our first team. Having an unhappy former captain around killed us in the Prem once before!

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
agree and loads of reactionary comments based on the fact we arent doing so well and hes had a couple of ok games for Everton.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
agree and loads of reactionary comments based on the fact we arent doing so well and hes had a couple of ok games for Everton.
The fact we aren't doing well is due to lack of goals. Us having Coady here wouldn't of solved that and I don't think our defence would be any better with him here, it has been pretty solid so far bar a couple of moments. Only thing we are missing from him is his immense leadership skills, there isn't a better captain in the league. I wish him all the best at Everton just think we should of got more for him.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
The fact we aren't doing well is due to lack of goals. Us having Coady here wouldn't of solved that and I don't think our defence would be any better with him here, it has been pretty solid so far bar a couple of moments. Only thing we are missing from him is his immense leadership skills, there isn't a better captain in the league. I wish him all the best at Everton just think we should of got more for him.
I’ll ask you one question.who’s our leader on the pitch.?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with this

Massive critic of Bruno but I can't fault this. Coady clearly clearly wanted to leave. We obviously decided he wasn't in our first team. Having an unhappy former captain around killed us in the Prem once before!
To me you’ve contradicted yourself. Bruno’s mistake was perhaps making him second string.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I’ll ask you one question.who’s our leader on the pitch.?
I'd give Neves a lot of credit he has definitely stepped up to the job. Maybe not as vocal as Coady but he is leading by example being one of the few players putting in a shift each game.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me you’ve contradicted yourself. Bruno’s mistake was perhaps making him second string.
I'm not a fan of Bruno but I disagree here. There's nothing wrong with our defence this season, and despite Collins' rush of blood last week, he and Kilman are looking solid as the basis of our back four for the season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with this

Agreed. He looked sulky in Nuno's last season and looked sulky towards the end of the season, and again in pre-season. The Everton talk was going around for a long time, and as much as Lage thought he was dispensable I am fairly sure Coady also fancied a change of scenery as well.

Plus financially we actually came off better than a guaranteed buy, because the substantial loan fee we received (which is essentially a deposit now, working well for both us and Everton) allowed the sale to go ahead, and also allowed us to spend subsequently as well.

Not having Coady as an option to move to three at the back isn't ideal, but who's to say bringing an unhappy ex-Captain like you say wouldn't have done more harm than good, especially given his forlorn demeanor suggested it was more likely than unlikely?

Plus, just because Coady isn't here, doesn't mean we absolutely can't play three at the back. Maybe not as well as if Coady was here, but sometimes you have to do a deal on the balance of probabilities, and not judge it in isolation.

Back
Top Bottom