Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All last season fans wanted a change and move to a back 4, stating Coady was the weak link. A decision was made in preseason to change, with Collins coming in. Him and kilman have done well and aren’t the issue right now. Yet here we are again, whenever things aren’t going well the solution is always the players that fans wanted rid of.

It’s quite clear Coady wanted to play and had been told to fight for his place. Now you can argue about whether we should have loaned him, but I don’t think him being here and not playing would have helped. First day of the season against Leeds, he wasn’t happy, and the focus was on him.

We’ve needed a refresh and got one. I don’t think it’s wrong what’s happened, and we have a squad of talent, it’s now about getting a performance out of them.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All last season fans wanted a change and move to a back 4, stating Coady was the weak link. A decision was made in preseason to change, with Collins coming in. Him and kilman have done well and aren’t the issue right now. Yet here we are again, whenever things aren’t going well the solution is always the players that fans wanted rid of.

It’s quite clear Coady wanted to play and had been told to fight for his place. Now you can argue about whether we should have loaned him, but I don’t think him being here and not playing would have helped. First day of the season against Leeds, he wasn’t happy, and the focus was on him.

We’ve needed a refresh and got one. I don’t think it’s wrong what’s happened, and we have a squad of talent, it’s now about getting a performance out of them.
Agreed. Coady isn’t the answer in a 4, he will have good runs of games for Everton if and when they defend deep but he will also look terrible in quite a few games.

The issue is not bringing in another CB after we got rid of the so called dead wood in that area. We’ve trimmed the fat a little too much at CB, imo.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins, despite the red card, has already shown he is a better defender in my opinion.

It would have been great to keep Coady around as third choice and have the option to go to a back three but unfortunately his ego wouldn’t allow it.

I look at his performances for us in pre-season compared to how he’s playing for Everton now and I actually think he’s a disgrace. He gave up and couldn’t be bothered.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins, despite the red card, has already shown he is a better defender in my opinion.

It would have been great to keep Coady around as third choice and have the option to go to a back three but unfortunately his ego wouldn’t allow it.

I look at his performances for us in pre-season compared to how he’s playing for Everton now and I actually think he’s a disgrace. He gave up and couldn’t be bothered.
That last line is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed, and considering some of the previous "gems of wisdom" from that poster (who l have firmly on ignore for exactly that reason but wanted to know what prompted your response), that is one high bar to surpass....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you see him in pre-season?

He was getting battered by lower league players from abroad. If it was a one-off then fair enough, a bad day. However he was awful in every pre-season game.

When you see him now you have to put those performances down to attitude, in my opinion. He threw the towel in to push for a move I believe.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you see him in pre-season?

He was getting battered by lower league players from abroad. If it was a one-off then fair enough, a bad day. However he was awful in every pre-season game.

When you see him now you have to put those performances down to attitude, in my opinion. He threw the towel in to push for a move I believe.
I saw a fair bit yes. At no point did I think he had downed tools, or did I think he had given up.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed, and considering some of the previous "gems of wisdom" from that poster (who l have firmly on ignore for exactly that reason but wanted to know what prompted your response), that is one high bar to surpass....
I disagreew ith a lot of what they say but that comment they made was downright appalling imo

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagreew ith a lot of what they say but that comment they made was downright appalling imo
Jeeze, 'downright appalling'.

I know you rate Coady as a player, certainly more than I do, but in a way that should make you question him more.

Someone of his quality should not have played as bad as he did in pre-season. So you have to ask why?

Of course it could just be someone having a bad few games, but for him to play like that, leave, then talk about how desperate he was to go, I think it's fair to question his professionalism this summer.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeeze, 'downright appalling'.

I know you rate Coady as a player, certainly more than I do, but in a way that should make you question him more.

Someone of his quality should not have played as bad as he did in pre-season. So you have to ask why?

Of course it could just be someone having a bad few games, but for him to play like that, leave, then talk about how desperate he was to go, I think it's fair to question his professionalism this summer.
I just think it’s human nature to be down at the proposition of having your position taken away, to feel somewhat emasculated by it. Doesn’t have to be a malicious/ teddies out the pram thing. Just natural to be unhappy.

It’s why the small squad philosophy and not having downgraded senior players is overall the right way to go.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton have an option to buy.
Doesn't change the relevance of what I said. It's not an obligation, if Coady can be persuaded he's still got a major role to play here, he doesn't have to sign a contract with Everton.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't change the relevance of what I said. It's not an obligation, if Coady can be persuaded he's still got a major role to play here, he doesn't have to sign a contract with Everton.
If you havent seen any of his interviews recently i would have a look.

He feels betrayed by lage, he wants to be with everton and lampard, hes happy, and they are 99.99% certain to enact the clause.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
He would only think about coming back if Bruno sleep ball Lage was gone. But then again why would he want to come back

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Organising his defensive line didn't make Coady a leader, same as shouting a lot doesn't make you a leader. Neves is a leader, doesn't have to shout at everyone to show it
Think we will agree to disagree

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe the option is for about £12m.
So if Coady “knocks it out the park” as you said, Everton will of course activate the option. Coady will want to go as he will have had a great season, feel wanted by Everton and likely get paid more too.
IMO the only way he comes back to us is if Everton don’t want him.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, in the short term value for money wise Collins is undoubtedly the wrong deal at the wrong time. We didn't need to spend 20 million on our defence, especially on a youngster. Everton have got theirs for nothing and it's as good if not better.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we could have easily afforded someone like Toney for example with the money spent on Sasa and Collins.
But long term Collins is quick and strong but positionally very suspect in my opinion. But like what has been said many times on here our defence hasn't been much of a problem yet this season.

PedroWolf

Reaction score
For me, in the short term value for money wise Collins is undoubtedly the wrong deal at the wrong time. We didn't need to spend 20 million on our defence, especially on a youngster. Everton have got theirs for nothing and it's as good if not better.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we could have easily afforded someone like Toney for example with the money spent on Sasa and Collins.
But long term Collins is quick and strong but positionally very suspect in my opinion. But like what has been said many times on here our defence hasn't been much of a problem yet this season.
Good flying kick though, he was poetry in the air

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He feels betrayed by lage, he wants to be with everton and lampard, hes happy, and they are 99.99% certain to enact the clause.
Yes and I specifically said a new coach, not Lage. If Lage is gone a new coach could easily extend an olive branch, thats all I'm saying.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i wouldn’t blame him one bit either.
let’s bin an england international centre half. you couldn’t make it up.
lage ****ing out

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we both sides needed to part ways, been a great 7 years but with us going to a back 4 think Coady needed a fresh challenge.

Agree with an earlier poster the defence needed a major refresh and we've had that and before Man City conceded the least goals. We are however light in numbers and still need to add some back up in this area.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lage ****ing out

Indeed..... and in the meantime lets play a Portuguese midfielder who's best days are long past, every minute of every game.

Pretty sure we'll never see Coady in a Wolves shirt again.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lage ****ing out
We didn’t ‘bin’ him!

He was third choice for pre-season.

He would be playing this weekend, and the next two games after that, if he was still here.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without Coady, we are in a worse position in the league. We were never this low with him as I recall.
Without Coady, we aren't scoring more goals.
Without Coady, we aren't conceding fewer goals.
Without Coady, we aren't playing better, more consistently decent football.
Without Coady, we are lacking a leader and big personality in the dressing room.

With Coady, Everton is above us in the league.
With Coady, Everton is conceding fewer goals on average than last season.
With Coady, Everton is playing better, organised football than last season.
With Coady, Everton has added a leader and personality to a team that lacked it.

Coincidences?

At least we can look at our attractive bank balance with a huge loan fee sitting there - oh, wait!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they have an option to buy that means we can set the price after the loan has finished??

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without Coady, we are in a worse position in the league. We were never this low with him as I recall.
Without Coady, we aren't scoring more goals.
Without Coady, we aren't conceding fewer goals.
Without Coady, we aren't playing better, more consistently decent football.
Without Coady, we are lacking a leader and big personality in the dressing room.

With Coady, Everton is above us in the league.
With Coady, Everton is conceding fewer goals on average than last season.
With Coady, Everton is playing better, organised football than last season.
With Coady, Everton has added a leader and personality to a team that lacked it.

1664275749540.png
Makes you think.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it’s human nature to be down at the proposition of having your position taken away, to feel somewhat emasculated by it. Doesn’t have to be a malicious/ teddies out the pram thing. Just natural to be unhappy.

It’s why the small squad philosophy and not having downgraded senior players is overall the right way to go.
Spot on. Yes he seemed to struggle to motivate himself against the mighty Alaves, but branding Coady 'disgraceful' is ridiculous. Name me a footballer (or any professional) who is 100% when there is talk of, and in Coady's case, the strong prospect of a move being completed? Actually, don't bother!

I think I've said it before, but I don't agree that Coady couldn't play in a back four, the same as it is folly to suggest we couldn't play a back five without him. I believe Lage's decision to replace him in the first team was more to do with his natural tendency to play long passes out wide, which contradicts how Lage wants to play, slowing the game down and making it more difficult to compress the game higher up the pitch (not that we've seen much evidence of it yet, but we know that is Bruno's preferred tactic).

It isn't that Coady couldn't adapt, more that it goes against his natural instincts and as a result forces him to concentrate more 'in-game', potentially detracting from his organisational skills. There's also the possibility Coady doesn't want to change his game because he knows he is very effective at it, and the potential for Coady to 'force' a movement towards a return to the style he favours through dressing room influence, which has been alluded to previously under both Nuno and Bruno.

From Coady's perspective, I'm sure he realised his stock has never been higher and this could be his last decent opportunity to get a sizeable contract closer to home with a club who wanted him for his qualities rather than one looking for him to adapt. He may have been hungry for a fresh challenge after a long time at Wolves, too.

None of this is substantiated of course, but I would imagine these potential scenarios have been played out in both parties heads. The move was a good move for both parties under the circumstances, I don't think staying at Wolves would have been the right decision for player or club.

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am open minded as to whether we play a back 4 or 5, but one thing I would say is that a back 3 of Collins, Coady, and Kilman looks rock solid to me. Moving to a back 4 doesn't seem to have had the desired effect of increasing our goals for tally yet. Only time will tell. I think you can play reasonably attractive and attacking football employing a back 5 providing you have the right personnel and play the right tactics.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am open minded as to whether we play a back 4 or 5, but one thing I would say is that a back 3 of Collins, Coady, and Kilman looks rock solid to me. Moving to a back 4 doesn't seem to have had the desired effect of increasing our goals for tally yet. Only time will tell. I think you can play reasonably attractive and attacking football employing a back 5 providing you have the right personnel and play the right tactics.
You need wing backs that can dribble past an opponent and deliver a good cross consistently to best play a back 5 imo and don’t think Semedo, RAN and Jonny can do that.

Not going to happen now but would have loved to see this type of line up experimented if Coady had stayed:

Sa
Chiq Collins Coady Kilman Neto
Neves Nunes B.Traore
Costa Jiminez

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said before, I'm not particularly bothered that we let Coady go (he seemingly couldn't get out the door quick enough when it became apparent he would have to fight for his place - conjecture i know) but it was a combination of it being a terrible loan deal that was seemingly a favour to the player and the fact that we left ourselves short of experience in the CB position by not replacing him. It was just a mess all round.

Back
Top Bottom