Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I strictly view this from a football perspective I think it's a great call (to get rid, not to loan).

Keeping him at the club would cause discussion that we don't need when things go wrong. Look at Villa, they lost one game and Tyrone Mings was trending on Twitter after, Gerrard is having to answer questions about him straight away and is already giving some unconvincing responses. Make no mistake, if they lose again this weekend the talk will continue and it snowballs. It's a distraction you don't need.

Then we have how Coady is. I will say he's a brilliant person generally but there's enough to suggest now he's like most other footballers in other aspects. Hogan has said he heard he was upset on the coach on the way back and Coady has admitted he pushed for the move.

How would he be in training every day? I don't for one second think he'd kick up a fuss or anything but the dynamics can change, it can be uncomfortable. Going back to Mings, Gerrard already said he's been quieter than usual after losing the captaincy, which Coady would have effectively done by not playing even if we didn't announce it like Villa did. That can be weird for the dressing room.

As a football team, in my opinion, we have undoubtedly been the worst team to watch based on the quality we have compared to anyone in the league. So we had to change formation and nobody could watch Coady in a back four and think he's the answer. As we've seen, he was getting battered by division two and three players in pre-season.

Coady was key to giving us three great years (promotion & the next two), and, as mentioned, comes across as a great person, so I understand the love for him but this is the right call.

Again this is just for the people who don't get it from a football perspective. I will not argue that loaning him seems totally stupid. He should've been sold but he needed to go.
Excellent post. Couldn't agree more. Loan seems daft, obviously, but he had to leave after Bruno made his decision.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a bit at the bottom of the BBC news, and statistically, he’s way behind all of their other CBs. And they were either relegated (in Tarkowski’s case) or nearly relegated last season.

From a footballing perspective, this isn’t suicide from the club.

He’s in everyone’s ear, he’s vocal (as we know) - who knows what a season on the bench would do for our supposed team spirit/chemistry.

Let Neves lead by example… a new broom and all that.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved Coady, he is a top Captain and a Top bloke, and despite what people might say he has improved as a defender especially in a three and over the years his physicality has improved so he can play in a two - But its not his best position and his lack of height and lack of real pace means he gets found out too often by either quick forwards or one's that bully him.

I love the guy and his leadership will be missed (but I do wonder if his constant chat might get on some nerves).

I don't want this to come over salty or disrespectful because he has been a great part of our journey, and I would have found it hard to pull the trigger, but we lack goals. That goal scoring is an issue for staying in the prem and for the entertainment value.

All the forwards bear the responsibility for some of that, but playing five to accommodate Coady lack of height and pace limits the managers options. Collins and Kilman are obviously taller at 6'4" but critically they are both much faster. It will take time to adjust and I would like a more dynamic midfielder as well, but I really can see why we have 'sold' Coady.

Still it's sad, and a bold more in many ways but I do think it's the right move. It's also a great move for Conor. His one boy goes to training at Everton academy so that sort of suggests their family home is near Liverpool. The logistics alone must make it a great opportunity for Conor.

Thanks to Conor for his leadership and commitment, but it's time to try something different.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted loan as I was hoping he could do a Craddock and come back . I see alot of people blaming the club or player.Im disappointed he wanted out as soon as he was dropped tbh but do the club want an unhappy player in dressing room? I would say the reported selling price is too low.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like I'm going mad. I'm sure last year there was almost unanimous posting on here that we need to move to a 4 at the back?

And I'm sure that the club/Bruno have decided that's the right way forwards too - for example, playing in 4atb in all pre-season, playing 4 atb in the first game, and signing a centre back to suit 4 atb?

IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that situation, with Bruno saying to Coady something like "Sorry Conor, but we're moving to 4 atb, and we're starting the season with Max and Collins - you might find it hard to get back in too, with Toti and Boly looking more obviously suited to playing in a 4".

And then there's nothing wrong with Coady saying "I'm not going to publicly kick up a fuss or put in a transfer request, but I'd like to play elsewhere now, I'm 29 and it's a World Cup year".

Even on the loan itself - well, to me, £12m sounds a little cheap for an option fee for an England international (I know he's not a regular) - but if that is the case, then it's likely because it's been offset by the loan fee.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets face it for two years it hasn't been working effectively. We have been a pretty poor team to watch by and large particularly at home where we rarely dominate games or create lots of chances with the horseshoe of doom.

I understand the clubs reasons for loaning out. I hope its with an obligation to buy. I havent caught up with the details yet. Lage has made the decision to go 4 at the back and its the right one. But it also need a new and fresh squad to implement. Collins and Sa and Neves now need to really step up and provide the leadership at the back that Coady brought. He is a true gentleman and goes with my best wishes for a successful future.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A converted midfielder not suited to a back four.

Not guaranteed game time ahead of World Cup and likely his only chance to make one.

Hometown club comes calling offering him a place in a back 3 ahead of World Cup.

Wolves happy to reward his service with a low fee simple deal to get him the move he wanted.

Wolves fans bash the club.
Anyone having difficulty understanding the move... read above !
It really is quite simple.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Narky? …….gimme a break, at best,( or worst), it was mild sarcasm.

And this part of your reply is a beauty. ……
”But some decisions are obviously stupid, irrespective of the underlying decision making process”.
“Irrespective”? ……..really? …..”irrespective of the blah blah etc…..

Naw…..ain’t buying that.

Difficult for me to respond to such a powerful riposte

*that’s sarcasm

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've heard from a few reliable people that it's in effect an obligation, and that it will come in effect if Everton don't go down.
Also the rather low fee is in combination of a rather large loan fee.
We'll all see, wouldn't we? Most of us thought the same with Adama.
But it would make sense with a deal structured that way in light of Evertons FFP issues.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely its fine to loan out and to loan in. Much more fluid and less risky. Then asses the impact after a year.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've heard from a few reliable people that it's in effect an obligation, and that it will come in effect if Everton don't go down.
Also the rather low fee is in combination of a rather large loan fee.
We'll all see, wouldn't we? Most of us thought the same with Adama.
But it would make sense with a deal structured that way in light of Evertons FFP issues.
Just seeing that he was told he was not part of the managements plans.

If that is the case then completely understand the move and if what you say is correct then that’s the second blinder of the week by the team, well played.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First and foremost I loved Conor Coady. He was exactly what we needed when Nuno walked in the door. He’s my daughters favourite player and I had a very sad little girl this morning when I told her the news.

That said and taking off the Conor Coady shaped specs I’d say this move was best for all parties.

Conor was obviously a big personality, a real leader amongst men, he led by example. That’s great when things are going his way and he can inject positivity into the group, it’s absolutely invaluable. A disgruntled leader can quite easily turn the atmosphere toxic. Now I’m not saying he did but there’s a chance that such a vocal presence and personality could upset the apple cart.

Clearly Bruno has a specific vision of how he wants to play and Conor’s role is not part of it and Conor has either been deemed not good enough to adapt or has not bought into the changes.

I think it’s a good thing that he moves on now with his reputation and legacy intact. He’s a great man and he’s been a great ambassador for the club.

Now let’s see what the new era brings and get behind Bruno and Captain Neves.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Conor has been great for Wolves and will always have my respect. But, and on reflection, it’s the right move for club and player. It removes the ‘safety net’ of being able to easily go to a back 5 and then not being able to change back again. It might not be a conscious thought but with Conor still here it would always be a temptation which doesn’t evolve the team.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a theory

I think we could occasionally see 5 at the back this season.

And Collins would have been the central player in that whether Coady was here or not!!

That's why he's gone.

Because it would/will be a back 5 that doesn't sit back. The central player would/will step up and win the ball higher in some circumstances and progress it by carrying the ball or giving it (as Coady was tasked to do more last season rather than sit on the keepers toes spreading long diagonals and playing a low low low block).

And Collins is better equipped to play that central role in that format than Coady is.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any comments from any of our players about Coady leaving on social media?

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It makes it worse that Everton pay out 33 million for a player the day after Coady leaves on a loan

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about the millions of pounds in wages and fees. This has saved Wolves millions in the wages of a player that realistically wasn’t going to play. Nobody was interested in a straight purchase.
Fair comment my friend.
I can't deny being totally gutted initially but I'm sure it's all been done for the right reasons and with the best interests of all involved.
Exciting, possibly nail biting times ahead.
Onwards and upwards! FWAW!!!

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair comment my friend.
I can't deny being totally gutted initially but I'm sure it's all been done for the right reasons and with the best interests of all involved.
Exciting, possibly nail biting times ahead.
Onwards and upwards! FWAW!!!
Me too. The most gutted I’ve been since Nuno left ( that day left me numb and I’m not generally one for taking football or Wolves seriously). Seems a good deal for all concerned for me though, not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about it.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like I'm going mad. I'm sure last year there was almost unanimous posting on here that we need to move to a 4 at the back?

And I'm sure that the club/Bruno have decided that's the right way forwards too - for example, playing in 4atb in all pre-season, playing 4 atb in the first game, and signing a centre back to suit 4 atb?

IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that situation, with Bruno saying to Coady something like "Sorry Conor, but we're moving to 4 atb, and we're starting the season with Max and Collins - you might find it hard to get back in too, with Toti and Boly looking more obviously suited to playing in a 4".

And then there's nothing wrong with Coady saying "I'm not going to publicly kick up a fuss or put in a transfer request, but I'd like to play elsewhere now, I'm 29 and it's a World Cup year".

Even on the loan itself - well, to me, £12m sounds a little cheap for an option fee for an England international (I know he's not a regular) - but if that is the case, then it's likely because it's been offset by the loan fee.
You do come across as being incredibly positive generally on here, but there’s no massive slant/agenda in this evaluation.
It is what it is. Thanks Conor for the memories over the years, but this relatively suits all parties with no ‘blame’ to be thrown anywhere.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might not be actually be the end of Coady here.

Many probably thought Adama was gone for good in January or Cutrone was finally off our hands two years ago. These loans with "obligations" often turn out differently than one expects and with our run of results who knows how long Lage lasts. Had the World Cup been in the summer than this situation would probably never have occurred.

That aside, it will be incredibly odd to have to line up against him this season.
He can't play against Wolves whilst on loan.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if coady could of played as a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 leaving the over 2 to play further forward, it would be a 4 1 2 3 system. Before anyone says it, I know he used to be crap as a midfielder but he's come a long way since then .coady can pick a pass out and defend. I wonder if Bruno tried it. I know he's gone now and it's neither here or there,,just asking the question.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Everton pay loan fee as £12 million seems low to me ?

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have to say i do feel a little disappointed in Conor here. Whatever happened to battling for your place?

It reads as though he knows there’s better defenders than him now and did a runner.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if coady could of played as a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 leaving the over 2 to play further forward, it would be a 4 1 2 3 system. Before anyone says it, I know he used to be crap as a midfielder but he's come a long way since then .coady can pick a pass out and defend. I wonder if Bruno tried it. I know he's gone now and it's neither here or there,,just asking the question.
You asked the same question repeatedly before and the majority response was no, hell no.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where have I asked this before
If l got that wrong l apologise. There have been a couple of posters who kept posting that, despite Coady's own admission that he was no PL midfielder and indeed his performances in the Chump, and l'd thought that you were one of them.

T

TheConcourse

Have to say i do feel a little disappointed in Conor here. Whatever happened to battling for your place?

It reads as though he knows there’s better defenders than him now and did a runner.
Because the leadership narrative is a total myth.

Right place, right time. If it wasn’t for Nuno he’d still be in The Championship.

Sorry, but leaders don’t give up on the thing they love after a few tough weeks. Absolute joke.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If l got that wrong l apologise. There have been a couple of posters who kept posting that, despite Coady's own admission that he was no PL midfielder and indeed his performances in the Chump, and l'd thought that you were one of them.

Fair enough, I thought it might be a option that's all, but he's gone now so we move on

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will miss his leadership qualities but if he does the business against villa Saturday then good luck to him really sad day because he’s done so much for our club. Let’s hope our back 4 works out!!
For whatever reason, his leadership qualities went AWOL in the second half of last season.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Admits he forced it within the first 40 seconds
He’s a professional footballer. He can only play, at premier league level, one position. A position we aren’t using so he wanted to leave. Good on him.

Amazes me that one or two are hammering Coady for this yet laud Ruddy as a Wolves legend for sitting on his **** for 4 years while getting paid 6 million pounds.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Right place, right time. If it wasn’t for Nuno he’d still be in The Championship.

Sorry, but leaders don’t give up on the thing they love after a few tough weeks. Absolute joke.
Literally lead the club for its best 5 years in decades. Myth my ****.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on here. Well done you.

T

TheConcourse

That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on here. Well done you.
Tell me what I said that’s wrong?

Right place right time - 100% correct.
Did he walk at the first sign of trouble? Yes.
Is that what you’d expect of a “leader”? No.

5 weeks of uncertainty affects his ability to still lead and creates the momentum for him to manufacture a move? 5 weeks.

He’s been great for Wolves, Wolves have been great for him.

It’s okay for debate to have more nuance, even if it doesn’t suit your agenda Ian.

Back
Top Bottom