Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Bruno but I disagree here. There's nothing wrong with our defence this season, and despite Collins' rush of blood last week, he and Kilman are looking solid as the basis of our back four for the season.
It’s more what else he brings to the table.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that, but does that make him worth a guaranteed first team place ahead of the other two?
I think he deserved to lose that place on the pitch for sure.
He’s now Everton’s captain, in a back two.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he deserved to lose that place on the pitch for sure.
He’s now Everton’s captain, in a back two.
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Does your second sentence mean that you're being facetious with your first? Your initial response didn't dispute that Kilman and Collins are doing well as first choice.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Does your second sentence mean that you're being facetious with your first? Your initial response didn't dispute that Kilman and Collins are doing well as first choice.
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant he should have had the chance to play first and lose his place to Kilman or Collins imo. I think Lage was
Wrong to drop him in the first place and I think we lack leadership as a result now too.

More to his game than being a defender

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant he should have had the chance to play first and lose his place to Kilman or Collins imo. I think Lage was
Wrong to drop him in the first place and I think we lack leadership as a result now too.

More to his game than being a defender
Fair enough. I think Bruno was right to go ahead with others as first choice, regardless of what he brings in terms of leadership, so we'll have to agree to differ there.

I also think that his leadership had gone out of the window last season, and I suspect that was because he didn't believe in Bruno. I was willing to back Bruno on this, and see how he approached this season with new players and ideas. Sadly he appears to have no new ideas, but that's all been explored on other threads.

Reactions: Ian

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back 4, back 5, I'm not really sure that it matters too much. It's more about the style of football Bruno is trying to adopt.

Everton have played with both a back 5 and a back 4 this season. But regardless of how they set up, they typically have a lot less of the ball than the opposition and fewer efforts on goal. We know Coady is brilliant as a backs-to-the-wall, deep central defender, in a counter-attacking setup. Regardless of whether it's a 5 or a 4, that's what he's doing at Everton.

Contrast that with us. We average 52% possession and have been close to 60% in a couple of games and over 65% vs Bournemouth. We've had more efforts on goal than the opposition in more than half our games.

Bruno is trying to turn us into a possession based team, that builds and creates chances. The fact we do not take those chances and do nothing with that possession is what needs fixing now and it isn't something Coady would solve.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think Bruno was right to go ahead with others as first choice, regardless of what he brings in terms of leadership, so we'll have to agree to differ there.

I also think that his leadership had gone out of the window last season, and I suspect that was because he didn't believe in Bruno. I was willing to back Bruno on this, and see how he approached this season with new players and ideas. Sadly he appears to have no new ideas, but that's all been explored on other threads.
I trust Coady more than most!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the thread should have a different title……

”Does Coady want to be at Wolves?”

Reason I say this is because I’m wondering what morale is like at Compton. Did some of our summer departees want to leave?……..and are there some who‘d like to leave but were refused permission?

Last edited:

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But neves is not a leader. Can you hear him organising the troops on the pitch?. No neither can I
What's your point tho? In my original post I never mentioned Neves all I said is we will miss Coadys leadership skills because in my opinion he is the best captain in the league. I only mentioned Neves when you asked who our leader is now. I really don't know what your argument is?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Organising his defensive line didn't make Coady a leader, same as shouting a lot doesn't make you a leader. Neves is a leader, doesn't have to shout at everyone to show it
Exactly this, we’re obsessed with the leader/captain role in England where it’s completely different abroad. You don’t have to shout loads to be a leader. Baresi, Maldini, Zidane, Viera there’s 4 who were great captains and leaders without shouting on a pitch

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking back I reckon his departure will go down as one of the worst outgoings we've ever done.
If Bruno Lage goes and Conor Coady smashes it out of the park this year, there's no reason why a new manager can't build bridges and get him back. He's contracted till 2025 and has said he still loves Wolves.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno Lage goes and Conor Coady smashes it out of the park this year, there's no reason why a new manager can't build bridges and get him back. He's contracted till 2025 and has said he still loves Wolves.
Everton have an option to buy.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Coady and without him, we still looked crap going forward. But we are not better defensively.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Back 4, back 5, I'm not really sure that it matters too much. It's more about the style of football Bruno is trying to adopt.

Everton have played with both a back 5 and a back 4 this season. But regardless of how they set up, they typically have a lot less of the ball than the opposition and fewer efforts on goal. We know Coady is brilliant as a backs-to-the-wall, deep central defender, in a counter-attacking setup. Regardless of whether it's a 5 or a 4, that's what he's doing at Everton.

Contrast that with us. We average 52% possession and have been close to 60% in a couple of games and over 65% vs Bournemouth. We've had more efforts on goal than the opposition in more than half our games.

Bruno is trying to turn us into a possession based team, that builds and creates chances. The fact we do not take those chances and do nothing with that possession is what needs fixing now and it isn't something Coady would solve.
It's not often I disagree with anything you write, but I think our problems are much deeper than not taking chances. I think our xG is 4th lowest in the league. I liked it early where it looked like a 4231 where the fullbacks still got forward and Neves and Nunes filled in. We seem to have lost that though and when we have 433 it's often 451 and then with no actual CF it turns into 460! However many attacking players we get on the pitch we never seem to have enough of them attacking!

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked just as **** going forward last year at the end. Yet we are one of the best teams defensively.

Having Coady here or not won't solve any of our issues
To be fair we always looked shaky defensively in a 4 when we played it before and with Coady in it. The defence has been fairly sound with these 2.

More importantly it could be our defence for the next 10 years. They are both much better defenders than Coady.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not often I disagree with anything you write, but I think our problems are much deeper than not taking chances. I think our xG is 4th lowest in the league. I liked it early where it looked like a 4231 where the fullbacks still got forward and Neves and Nunes filled in. We seem to have lost that though and when we have 433 it's often 451 and then with no actual CF it turns into 460! However many attacking players we get on the pitch we never seem to have enough of them attacking!

Maybe. But that’s a different argument. Whatever the crux of our goalscoring problems are, my point is Coady isn’t going to solve it!!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Coady and without him, we still looked crap going forward. But we are not better defensively.

Was thinking exactly this. We hardly look any different at all! Well, Collins and Kilman have generally provided noticably the best performances we've seen as a back 4 in the Fosun era. Though this just hasn't provide any springboard at all for the rest of the team going forward. And that back 4 is looking a bit more creaky over time, than more solid. Though that may just be playing Man City. More likely being instructed to play in a way they are not comfortable with.

Collins is a good, potentially excellent centre half. But he isn't the most comfortable playing with ball at his feet with attackers pressing him. Saiss was better at that! Probably me being old school, but I don't care much for the idea that a centre half should be showing off skillz in his own penalty area. Cutting out crosses and keeping attackers on their toes, fine, and Collins looks exceptional at that. Another gripe I have with Bruno, forcing the team to play to their weaknesses. We *could* be better defensively, if set up properly.

Anyway, maybe Coady has a "new club bounce " at Everton? Or maybe he is being allowed to play to his strengths?

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Up to Coady.

Cannot see it myself. Only consolation is that if he keeps playing well, we should get a minimum of15mil.

Back
Top Bottom