Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs. Newcastle verdict

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This game summed up for me all that is good and all that is still missing. The biggest miss is still of course a centre forward worthy of the name. Yes Hwang has been making up for the lack of firepower elsewhere but we are far too dependent on him. Equally with Neto's injury and the deflation all round after he went off....he is 70% of our attacking threat....too dependent on him alone to make things happen. It will be impossible to replace his threat as our squad is still so thin in certain areas. Bellegarde either out wide or as a No.10 is the obvious answer so we will see how Gary deals with this huge blow. Surely he is out for a minimum 6 weeks. January we have to get in another wide man as well as a central striker.

Sasa for Neto was like replacing a cheetah with a giraffe. Hope Sasa can speed up a bit in future.

On the plus side Doyle is looking like a very strong candidate for a central midfield spot. His accurate forward passing is just what we need. Toti also is becoming a huge plus and Dawson is absolutely outstanding. Ait -Nouri is getting there and as O'Neil said in his interview just needs to cut out the 'madness' from time to time. Sa still worries me and that failure to hold the ball in mid air cost us dear. Great shot stopper but mentally not as cool as you need in your goalie.

It will be interesting to see how O'Neil and the team cope with losing their most potent attacker. For now O'Neil looks like he is enjoying his job and the team seem right behind him. He is proving all the naysayers wrong and certainly wowed the Sky presenters with his tactical masterclass. Long way to go however.

Overall we should take into account that Newcastle not only played a tough match in midweeek but aso were without Izak, Tonali, Anderson, Barnes, Botman, Murphy...have I missed out anyone? Willock only just back from injury. It just shows how much better and deeper their squad is than ours- after their signings push in the past 18 months. Meanwhile our squad has been depleted so much. Fosun need to decide what they want- the current squad is midtable at best and with more bad luck with injuries could be struggling again towards the bottom.

For me Sarabia, Silva, Hodge and Jonny (possibly Sa) need to be quickly upgraded in the current squad. Above all we must find a powerful central striker to give attacks a focus and get on to the crosses the wing backs and Neto should provide. Sasa may come good up to a point but lacks any pace whatsoever and still looks so fragile. Silva just does not do it for any of his managers and sadly needs to move on. Cunha is hopeless in front of goal and is a No.10 by nature attacking from midfield. O'Neil is more than aware of all this but will he get the backing January/next summer?

VAR - yet again a complete joke. That is three times this season already we have been conned by the 'system'. Costing us perhaps six vital points. Inept refereeing, cowardly VAR 'officials'. Hopeless and perhaps verging on the corrupt. Never a penalty and you could see Howe knew that in his interview. The Newcastle player's swan dive was worthy of a sending off or at least a booking, and only a fool would have missed that.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Reaction score
Forgot to add. What a player Tommy Doyle is, do we have an option to buy for about £4mil IIRC? Get the cheque book out Jeff. Think this lad has huge potential. Keeps the ball moving quickly and incisive. He's been impressive since he came in. Reminds me a little of a certain Mr Scholes.

JJ59

Reaction score
Earlier I read almost all of the Newcastle online forum comments about last nights game. Surprisingly many posters agree that the penalty decision was wrong, many suggestions that their player conned the ref [not difficult it was Taylor]. I often often read the opposition forums, many thanks Supergran, and regard the Newcastle fans as some of the best. There are numerous mindless entries as there are here but generally speaking there are plenty of level-headed accurate entries.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were pretty unlucky not to get all three points. It was a very scrappy opening 15 minutes with neither side able to keep the ball particularly well, and after Sa's mistake it did feel like we were chasing the game a little, but we were much better in the second half with Newcastle looking a bit leggy, and had Neto not got injured I think we'd have gone on to win it. Without Neto, there was no outlet, and our attacking play petered out completely so it will be interesting to see how O'Neil adapts. We were getting outnumbered in the middle in the first half which he responded to by shifting from 442 to 4231 - I'm enjoying this tactical flexibility but coming up with a plan that handles the loss of the league's in form player is a different ball game.

I mentioned it in the commentary thread but to reiterate, Newcastle got away with murder at times. I was in the North Bank, a little closer to the front than usual, and the amount of times Trippier dragged back Ait-Nouri's shirt off the ball when we tried to break was absurd. When Sasa came on, Burn practically tore his shirt off his back. A dreadful referring performance who let far too many things go and then got the big decisions wrong.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O’Neil should demand the Hwang penalty VAR audio be released and a replay.

VAR disasters have now cost us 6 points.

The Wolves management should be kicking up much more of a stink/fuss about this.
Last season JL kicked off over VAR ****ups and we got a shedload of apology letters from Webb. Some on here said that JL's attitude was helping cause the issue.

This season we aren't kicking off but we are still getting VAR ****ups (strangely enough consistently against us). The only difference is less letters.....

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last season JL kicked off over VAR ****ups and we got a shedload of apology letters from Webb. Some on here said that JL's attitude was helping cause the issue.

This season we aren't kicking off but we are still getting VAR ****ups (strangely enough consistently against us). The only difference is less letters.....

Well Liverpool get one bad decision and the media don't shut up about it, I'm surprised we didn't get it discussed at the United Nations or a full blown government enquiry...

We get 3/4 of those decisions a year if not more, if VAR works as it should we probably would be 7 points better off and ahead of Newcastle and level with Villa.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Well we got an apology after Man U. High profile game, Webb actually at the ground.
I might have to duck for cover, but we didn't get an apology for the Luton pen as they see it as a correct interpretation of a terribly written law.
We'll have to see about yesterday, we really should have one, but I suspect we won't.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we were the better team and even at 1-2 down I thought there was only one winner and that was Wolves.

Sa a mess for the first goal. He's a good goalkeeper that gets us out of a mess quite often, but he's got that in him every 5-6 games sadly. I can see why the ref gave the penalty in real time, but with the replays, bit baffling that it wasn't overturned.

Hwang's goal was world class. An outrageous first touch that didn't even look physically possible to be honest.

Real shame about Pedro, hopefully it's not as bad as it looks and he'll be back after the international break. Thought we were about to score when he pulled up actually, or at least about to definitely get a shot away with us being 4 v 3 approaching their box. I'll be interested to see how we set up without him as the dynamic obviously changes massively.

Good performance and another big tick in Gary O'Neil's box. Certainly a very underwhelming appointment on paper, but we've started to look like a good side over this past month and it seems the players are buying into it, so fair play to him.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a cracking game. We would’ve won had it not been for Neto’s injury which clearly took the wind from our sails.
Another thing to note was that it was a game played in a really good spirit from both sides. Plenty of competitiveness but also some nice interaction between players respect for each other. Really good to see in this day and age.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So just thinking out loud.....Saudi league gives EPL refs lucrative pay days officiating in there league, and one of the richest and most influential Saudi families own Newcastle United.......hmmm
Very good point.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a cracking game. We would’ve won had it not been for Neto’s injury which clearly took the wind from our sails.
Another thing to note was that it was a game played in a really good spirit from both sides. Plenty of competitiveness but also some nice interaction between players respect for each other. Really good to see in this day and age.
I did get the impression that both teams were enjoying the game and the battle. Certainly Howe’s Newcastle are not as horrible as Howe’s Bournemouth

Sir Ron

Groupie
Reaction score
I haven't read all of this thread but it looked like to me on TV they showed one angle where it was clear that Hwang didn't touch him with his left boot. And another angle where it was clear that Hwang didn't touch him with his right boot either.

The one they showed repeatedly though was an angle where it looked like he "could have" touched him.

So tiring having these controversies every single match. VAR will never work.
It’s pathetic, what on earth is going on? We want to watch a game of football and we have to listen to self appointed experts debate if someone has touched their football boot against another footballers boot to the millimetre?? I mean really?? What are we being dragged into here, bugger off with your nonsense and give us our game back.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel like many would say O’Neil’s Wolves are not as horrible as O’Neil’s Bournemouth too.
He worked with what he had at his disposal at Bournemouth, which is a squad £130m worse than the one they have this season sat in 17th.

You could apply the same logic to Howe in many senses. Kept Bournemouth up for many years, but was only truly recognised when he had a more talented squad to work with. That's about where the comparisons stop, though, as Newcastle's best XI trumps ours easily. I think only Neto would get into their best side.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just listening to 606, Fabian Shar won The Simulation Game haha
Was trying to remember this. They introduced retrospective bans for dives, but I think it went when they introduced VAR, presumably because they thought the VAR would pick it up. So now if the onfield ref gives a pen and the VAR thinks it's a dive then it's a yellow and that's it. Ridiculous that there's no ban for a dive as long as it fools them both!

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
So just thinking out loud.....Saudi league gives EPL refs lucrative pay days officiating in there league, and one of the richest and most influential Saudi families own Newcastle United.
That's actually quite frightening, the officiating last night was shocking.

We're wolves we will overcome.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Was I the only one shouting “pass the ball”, as Toti set off on his little mazy run before threading a perfect pass through to Chan?

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Earlier I read almost all of the Newcastle online forum comments about last nights game. Surprisingly many posters agree that the penalty decision was wrong, many suggestions that their player conned the ref [not difficult it was Taylor]. I often often read the opposition forums, many thanks Supergran, and regard the Newcastle fans as some of the best. There are numerous mindless entries as there are here but generally speaking there are plenty of level-headed accurate entries.
TheMag has done it's usual summary if anyone cares for the comments in return. Appreciate it's getting into the territory of YouTube reaction videos.

Purposefully or otherwise, they've even picked up on my "interesting" barb (a couple of authors on there have a habit of overusing the word)

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt it. I think they will hide behind the excuse that it wasn’t clear and obvious enough.
Say what you want about VAR and the PGMOL but they’ve absolutely nailed the wording and application of “clear and obvious error”. Of course, the one thing they’ve nailed is the self preservation aspect.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
TheMag has done it's usual summary if anyone cares for the comments in return. Appreciate it's getting into the territory of YouTube reaction videos.

Purposefully or otherwise, they've even picked up on my "interesting" barb (a couple of authors on there have a habit of overusing the word)

Like the idea of Howe and Gon laughing at Bournemouth

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A real good match of football wasn´t it?
If any team deserved the win,it was us.
Unfortunately another mistake by Sa lead to the opening goal..but this is what happens from time to time.
Pope wasn´t that great for Leminas equalizer either..so that evens out.
Their penalty..I´ve seen worse given..but VAR seems to indicate it wasn´t a penalty.
Taylor should have had a closer look.

A hardfought and good point won.We might have nicked it without Neto getting injured.It happened in a great scoring position for us.
We currently plays the best I´ve seen us since Nuno.
Great spirit and great effort throughout the whole team.
We´ll be allright this season.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posted Saturday at 20:21

Hilarious everytime we drop points no one is safe from blame and everyone could be thrown under the bus depending on how theories are reverse engineered.

From the Newcastle forum, brought a smile of recognition to my Monday morning.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of further reflections from Saturday.

We lost a number of balls to simple lack of control which stopped good attacking positions. Even the first goal came from a ball into Neto under little pressure which went under his foot when if he’d controlled he would have been able to turn and run at their defence. Not sure why it happened, players getting ahead of themselves, passing needs to be more precise.

I arrived early and so was able to watch the warm up in full. GON was out watching the initial warm up as well, which I haven’t seen a manager do before. I thought we warmed up with far more intensity than previous seasons, even the target practice has improved immeasurably since both the start of the season. Ran is an excellent finisher.

Finally, listening 5 Live in the way to the game and they were talking to Jason Stam and I think Murphy about coaching. They both said they’d received little of no coaching once they broke into the first team squad and on reflection they couldn’t understand why. Maybe getting a coach that has been coaching at academy level as well as at first team actually aligns with the plan of bringing in players who are up and coming and wanting to learn. By definition they’re not the finished article so need a coaches input.

Back
Top Bottom