Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs. Newcastle verdict

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic game of football between two attacking sides, that will sadly get missed in yet another VAR controversy against us.

Will defer to others on the VAR controversy as I'm still seething. It can only be that it wasn't deemed a clear and obvious error, but all commentary channels are saying if the ref hadn't given it, there's no way VAR would have intervened to give it.

I'm starting to think I was wrong on O'Neill, we're playing with more confidence and purpose and more attacking, certainly than under Lage, and probably fair to say Lopetegui too. Doesn't look like it's a flash in the pan either.

Also have to call out what an upgrade Dawson is on Collins, was immense tonight.

I thought we were well on top for the first 25 mins of the second half, was good to see heads hadn't dropped at half time. I dare say we're showing some patience and maturity as Newcastle had control of the game for a spell towards the end once Neto was injured, and I hope it's a short spell on the sidelines.

--

Hello to summary readers from "TheMag", please stop misusing the word "interesting" in your articles.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To echo.

Hats off to Gary and my huge slice of humble pie.

That was another thoroughly entertaining Wolves game. Playing for the shirt, desire and not giving up, something that has been lacking for a while but looks to be back!

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very good game and great performance but shame about Neto and that slice of humble pie is edging ever so close to my mouth.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to both teams really good game Shame about the officials

Fingers crossed for Neto hopefully isn't serious as it looked

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let's all hope n pray its only a bad strain and Neto only misses the Sheff U match.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Fantastic game of football between two attacking sides, that will sadly get missed in yet another VAR controversy against us.

Will defer to others on the VAR controversy as I'm still seething. It can only be that it wasn't deemed a clear and obvious error, but all commentary channels are saying if the ref hadn't given it, there's no way VAR would have intervened to give it.

I'm starting to think I was wrong on O'Neill, we're playing with more confidence and purpose and more attacking, certainly than under Lage, and probably fair to say Lopetegui too. Doesn't look like it's a flash in the pan either.

Also have to call out what an upgrade Dawson is on Collins, was immense tonight.

I thought we were well on top for the first 25 mins of the second half, was good to see heads hadn't dropped at half time. I dare say we're showing some patience and maturity as Newcastle had control of the game for a spell towards the end once Neto was injured, and I hope it's a short spell on the sidelines.

--

Hello to summary readers from "TheMag", please stop misusing the word "interesting" in your articles.
You’re not wrong about O’Neil. We’re playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen from the side, and I’ve only been watching since 1972. Over 50 years ago.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Had a bit of everything. Decent goals, calamity goalkeeping, dodgy decisions. Could of won that, think we might of with Neto still on. Take the entertaining point.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great performance and there was one team winning that before Neto came off. Praying for good news on that score. We really need Bellegarde to step up now. Thought Dawson was outstanding and we have to find room for Doyle in midfield.

Fair play GON, you look like you fully deserve to be at this level, given all the doubts.

Can no longer be bothered debating VAR and the refs.

Last edited:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But for Sa flapping and a combo of poor defending from Hwang and another corrupt decision from VAR, we win that game. GON has instilled a right good spirit in the lads and I'm loving it. Apologies from this old gold idiot for not giving our boss the benefit of time to bed in. We're more than decent. Massive kick in the balls with Neto going off. I feel for him. My man of the match, Hwang for the composure and finish for his goal. But Neto's injury a big blow.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta say, everyone waxing on about the job Eddie Howe has done at NUFC, they need to start giving GON some credit. Made us hard to beat, scoring goals and looking dangerous. Very inexperienced coach but imo is beginning to show why WWFC brought him in after the JL summer fiasco.

The game - very enjoyable in spite of the dubious decisions from the officials (as is the norm for us). Fair result all told against a team that will be pushing for top 4 again. I actually thought Semedo and Ait Nouri were excellent today. Glad for Hwang’s goal and the assist from Toti was so impressive.

Good performance with a couple of brain fart moments. Good job done in the last 5 games. Let’s not throw it away by giving SUFC their first victory of the season.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very strong performance I felt overall, on a slick pitch that always lends itself to a quick tempo match. Shot ourselves in the foot twice unfortunately; more tiresome and weak goalkeeping by Sa, and Hwang giving PIGMOL the chance to do to us what it always does to us (though he atoned, after fabulous work by Toti). Taylor terrible as usual. Hopefully Neto is just a week or two out, I dread any sort of major injury.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good result against a good team. And last week and again today we didn’t give up and came from behind.
Slow but steady progress up the table……very happy and satisfied with that.

A very soft penalty denied us an additional 2 points.
Sa nearly redeemed himself on the penalty.
Hwang wasn’t having his best game but then, keeps his cool and scores.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought we were brilliant pretty much to a man. There seems to be a real spirit about this team that O’Neill is cultivating. Reminds me of the early Nuno years when we never knew when we were beaten and could never be written off.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Gary, set us up brilliantly again I thought, I really hope we support him with the reinforcements he wants in Jan, I’m genuinely excited to see what that looks like, Loppy is fast becoming a distant memory, faster than I anticipated actually which is impressive in the short time he’s been here.

Gutted for Neto, although I genuinely believe we will be ok, hope I still feel that way in a few games!

Thought Dawson and Toti were excellent again, Toti fast becoming the unsung hero on the quiet as games go on.

Although Cunha frustrates the hell out of me he also runs his socks off every game, be interesting to see if he’s put out wide to cover Neto now or if Enzo/Bellegarde fill that gap.

With Neto’s injury I’m ok with a draw, but thought we deserved a win, thought Newcastle looked **** poor which I was surprised by after how my Newcastle supporting colleague waxes lyrical about them….. Funny enough he’s quiet this evening!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good result and good performance. A performance Wolves would've put in 3 or 4 years ago. There's no stopping the Hwang train. Toti showing composure. Semedo marking Gordon out of the match. Gutted for Neto. It makes you wonder if there are a few others in the red zone. I bet O'Neil will be thinking about that. Doyle brought a bit more control again. Sa was due a mistake. He's been brilliant recently so it was going to happen eventually. Other than that he didn't have much to do.

And apart from the multiple camera angles showing Hwang kicked the ground there wasn't any evidence to suggest it was a clear and obvious error. I don't even blame the ref for giving the pen in real-time, but that is the point of VAR. I'm sure that's what they said when they said Moutinho handballed the ball with his armpit.

Last edited:

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also hope n pray I get to watch even 1 game of ours this season where the ref and/or var don't have a mare.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is VAR there to audit and appraise the referee or to come to the correct decision?

If they are appraising the referee... was that a clear and obvious error from the ref, from what he saw in real time?... probably not. But it was, on viewing, clearly and obviously an error.

So it simultaneously wasn't a clear and obvious error and was clearly and obviously an error... leaving the officials free to make and justify whatever decision they want.

Shafted by semantics.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Enjoyed that. Matched a very good side. Two very poor goals to concede but recovered well each time and think we may well have gone on to win it if it wasn’t for Neto’s injury (please don’t let that be too serious).

Never a penalty but Hwang shouldn’t have given the ref the chance to make such a poor decision. Fair play to Hwang though, thought he was having a bit of a shocker but he never stops working and a great finish for the second goal, after a brilliant assist from Toti.

Thought Dawson, Kilman and Neto were very good. Semedo really good defensively but wasted a couple of great attacking positions. Lemina an excellent all round performance and Doyle very positive again coming off the bench.

Only real criticism other than the self-inflicted goals was a bit of a lack of quality with our final ball.

Sa 4
Kilman 7
Dawson 8
Toti 7
Semedo 7
Lemina 8
Traore 5
RAN 7
Hwang 6
Cunha 6
Neto 7

Doyle 7
Sasa 6

4 decent results, and more pleasingly, performances on the spin. And we’re actually quite an entertaining watch at the moment. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Well done Gary and the lads.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably just about then right result
We may have nicked it but no complaints
Obviously the penalty should not have been given but that apart a pretty even game
The Neto injury killed us off tbf,lets hope its not a long term one he has just got back to his very best
Dont know who will replace him tbh,we havent anyone with his pace now up front
All in all we look a match for most and GON now has my seal of approval

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SA very silly decision. Punch it or don’t come for it

Hwang should have put his foot through it. Rather than take a touch. Although never a ****ing pen in years

Hwang made up for it.

Good point. Very happy with that. Would have taken it before game and at half time. Could have won if we cut out mistakes

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good match to watch if you're a neutral, personally I thought we gave it away. How many times today were we in with an excellent chance of a goal and simply passed it or lobbed it into Pope's hands, he must have had one of the easiest games ever.
Neto out for a fair few weeks is going to really affect us and if it's a bad hamstring then it could be January.
I thought Ait-Nouri was superb especially in the first half, Awful ref but that's a given.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

--

Can't disagree with any of that. Nice finish from Hwang for the second also.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First time I've seen us play since Crustal Palace on 3rd Sep and this performance was chalk and cheese to that, GON has us playing with belief and no little skill. Pleasure to watch and of course if it wasn't for that waste of time that is VAR, we'd have won (and I think we deserved to). Dawson was immense, Neto great (hope his injury is better than it looked), Lemina had a great comeback from suspension and even the much-maligned Semedo had a decent game. Hwang is on fire, although he's a liability when defending and Doyle looks the business. Surely, we'll make his loan permanent!
All-in-all, satisfied with a point, but it could and should have been so much more.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just want to note that Hwang's goal was set up by a CB showing some good skill...in general, you can see the boys work on plenty of looser, freeform play rather than purely drilling shape etc. It's good to see and flies in the face of the notion O'Neil is setting the team up to be plodders.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is VAR there to audit and appraise the referee or to come to the correct decision?

If they are appraising the referee... was that a clear and obvious error from the ref, from what he saw in real time?... probably not. But it was, on viewing, clearly and obviously an error.

So it simultaneously wasn't a clear and obvious error and was clearly and obviously an error... leaving the officials free to make and justify whatever decision they want.

Shafted by semantics.
I did enjoy this from the Sunderland forum, "ReadyToGo". Not sure whether it's calmed me down or not.

Screenshot_20231028_194836_Chrome.jpg

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was pretty apprehensive about this game as we were unbeaten in 4 games and on a high after beating Man City. It would have been typical if we had lost this one, so fairly satisfied with a point, despite feeling that we were the better side, and we did not have luck on our side today.
The main downside of today was obviously Neto's injury, the extent of which we should know early next week. Overall a great game, and great effort and commitment from the lads. Gary O'Neill seems to be growing into the job, and there seems to be far more optimism around than a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom