Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs Burnley. The verdict.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was talking to my mate after the game and he was seething .. As was I. We talked about the defence and midfield and he said to me he'd heard something about that happened at the clear the air meeting a few months back that otasowie and max kilman spoke out about being treated harshly for errors they'd made and since then they've not had a look in. Surely kilman wouldn't have been any worse today.
If that is true - the reason why they are not playing is they expressed an opinion in a clear the air meeting - Nuno has to go. We will never know as it is in Nuno's mind.

(Unless they said it in a Rimmer Red Drawf style of clear the air meeting) :)

Coops

Reaction score
Barring Ait Nouri every other player was embarrassing at least he looked like a professional player in some respect today.

Every player should be ashamed losing to a team like Burnley in that manner it was a disgustingly unprofessional performance and should be punished
I agree I thought RAN had a good game - rest should hang their heads in shame.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, he is one of the most expensive players we’ve ever signed and likely to be the highest earner in our history, if we’re defending him by saying he had a decent game against 2 relegated sides that’s not much of a defence. He defended ok in those games, but he is still not offering anything going forward, it’s been 31 games now and he and Traore still look like strangers. He’s lightweight, stands off players and makes basic errors. He may look comfortable with the ball at his feet but he’s not doing anything with it.
Semedo has been one of the top 4 players this season after a rocky start to the match and I was very surprised he was taken off today.

He wasn’t one of the main offenders today.....

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that is true - the reason why they are not playing is they expressed an opinion in a clear the air meeting - Nuno has to go. We will never know as it is in Nuno's mind.

Dunno mate. He might have read it on here somewhere but there you go.

Coops

Reaction score

What errors did Kilman make? He was against saka in an alien back 4 that we hadn’t tried before...

R

reanswolf

Was talking to my mate after the game and he was seething .. As was I. We talked about the defence and midfield and he said to me he'd heard something about that happened at the clear the air meeting a few months back that otasowie and max kilman spoke out about being treated harshly for errors they'd made and since then they've not had a look in. Surely kilman wouldn't have been any worse today.
How Otasowie isn't getting a run when literally we don't have anyone playing midfield is beyond me, and I accept he is young and error-prone, but he would be an improvement on what we have at present. Our midfield has got to be worst in the division, absolutely no inspiration nor forward drive at all, and hence the defence just have to play ping-pong........clear it, it comes back, clear it, it comes back (repeat ad nauseum).

Its was embarrassing against Olympiakos and Seville and its been embarrassing numerous times this season. No wonder its embarrassing the number of times it needs highlighting.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he's moving the opposite way to Armstrong as he's following his man that's why he's off balance. I get that being low when you are defending 1v1 it allows you to go either way but he wasn't defending Armstrong, he just tried to stick a leg out after Adama just stopped tracking him.

I'll take your word on the one today, the pass was awful but whoever it was they were on their heels.

The question there is why is he moving the opposite way? Again it’s a fundamental technical flaw. Look at it this way, in the position they were on the field where is the danger? It’s the space in behind Semedo. If Armstrong runs over that way and sees Semedo ready to track him and/or push him wide then he could play the ball to Bertrand but we are set and able to defend. Instead Semedo is drawn towards Bertrand opening a big gap that Armstrong exploited. This doesn’t detract from Traore you are absolutely correct and as I said Dendoncker does an awful job on blocking the resulting cross. But that’s an example of my issue with Semedo, he is technically gifted with the ball at his feet, majority of the time he’s comfortable in that area of the game. But as a defender he is severely lacking and it’s not going to get better at his age and stage of career.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute shambles from the first goal onwards. Every single one of those players should be ashamed of themselves, they have totally embarrassed the club today. We have had a lot of performances like this, this season, as we all know. It’s become the norm and without serious changes over summer I have no doubt we will carry this on next season and be relegated.

We are a complete joke at the minute, terrible at the back and completely toothless up front. We do nothing well, we have no “identity” other than being boring as **** to watch. Something needs to change.

Coady and Saiss aren’t good enough to be starting in a PL defence, Ait-Nouri isn’t ready, Dendoncker has been awful this season, Willian is a total waste of a shirt, Adama STILL doesn’t have any end product and Podence is just ****.

Rui
Semedo - ???? - ???? - ????
Neves - ????
Neto - ???? - ????
Raul​

We need half a team, this squad has run its course. Fuming after that pathetic surrender today.

D

Deleted member 11332

The question there is why is he moving the opposite way? Again it’s a fundamental technical flaw. Look at it this way, in the position they were on the field where is the danger? It’s the space in behind Semedo. If Armstrong runs over that way and sees Semedo ready to track him and/or push him wide then he could play the ball to Bertrand but we are set and able to defend. Instead Semedo is drawn towards Bertrand opening a big gap that Armstrong exploited. This doesn’t detract from Traore you are absolutely correct and as I said Dendoncker does an awful job on blocking the resulting cross. But that’s an example of my issue with Semedo, he is technically gifted with the ball at his feet, majority of the time he’s comfortable in that area of the game. But as a defender he is severely lacking and it’s not going to get better at his age and stage of career.

Because the player he's marking is moving that way? That's how it works mate you follow the man you are marking. That stuff will be drilled in training.

BridgnorthWolf Inc

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this above but if I were Fulham or West Brom I would be looking into that 'performance' in a little more detail if you get my drift....I don't for a minute believe there is anything untoward (other than disinterest) but for the integrity of the competition, if any left after this week, I would expect a little more from such allegedly talented players.

Mods, apologies if this crosses any lines.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still too seething to pass any real judgement...that isn't full of expletives, yet!
I must thank Nuno and the lads for making me so bloody angry, that a bugger of a job on my car resto project, that was being put off until tomorrow, got done today....and in double quick time, with relative ease, due largely to my temper.
I must offer apologies to my neighbors for all the cursing and growling though!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this above but if I were Fulham or West Brom I would be looking into that 'performance' in a little more detail if you get my drift....I don't for a minute believe there is anything untoward (other than disinterest) but for the integrity of the competition, if any left after this week, I would expect a little more from such allegedly talented players.
Absolutely 0% chance that has anything to do with it. Not the first time we've seen it this year

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Congrats to coady on playing himself out of England contention too
Thank god for that. Coady - England - what a ****ing joke. To think we had players like Billy Wright, Bobby Moore, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd, even ****ing Rio Ferdinand, playing at the back for England. Coady's a ****ing fraud. Shouldn't be playing for Wolves, never mind England! He's ****ing ****. Hasn't got a scooby about defending. Loves being turned inside out, week in, week out! Scouse ****er!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because the player he's marking is moving that way? That's how it works mate you follow the man you are marking.

Defending doesn’t work like that, it’s not a man for man situation. Watch it again, Bertrand is moving away from our goal he is not the danger. It is because Semedo is focused on Bertrand that the gap opens up for Armstrong to run past him. I get it that you want to defend him, but surely we can agree as a defender the threat is Armstrong running towards our goal with the ball not Bertrand running away from it without. He could let Bertrand go and protect his space and the space behind him. If Armstrong plays it to Bertrand and they switch it to the other side and score so be it he did his job. Fact is on this instance and others he didn’t do his.
Again not saying he is solely to blame, others have made mistakes too, I’d just like others to not dismiss these things because for some he’s not Doherty or for others because he can control and pass the ball to a midfielder.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What errors did Kilman make? He was against saka in an alien back 4 that we hadn’t tried before...

The obvious one is when he ducked under a simple long ball against Man United which caused the goal.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mods, apologies if this crosses any lines.

I get your drift. For the defence (!) , I would produce video evidence of the first 40 mins v Arsenal, the first 60 v West Ham, the match v Chorley, the matches v Fulham , Sheff U, the 2-1 defeat to Burnley, 0-1 Palace, earlier, etc etc as clear proof that there was nothing out of the ordinary in that performance. We play like that most of the time these days, we have had a lucky streak recently. Today we weren't lucky, mistakes and lethargy we previously got away with was punished.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11332

Defending doesn’t work like that, it’s not a man for man situation. Watch it again, Bertrand is moving away from our goal he is not the danger. It is because Semedo is focused on Bertrand that the gap opens up for Armstrong to run past him. I get it that you want to defend him, but surely we can agree as a defender the threat is Armstrong running towards our goal with the ball not Bertrand running away from it without. He could let Bertrand go and protect his space and the space behind him. If Armstrong plays it to Bertrand and they switch it to the other side and score so be it he did his job. Fact is on this instance and others he didn’t do his.
Again not saying he is solely to blame, others have made mistakes too, I’d just like others to not dismiss these things because for some he’s not Doherty or for others because he can control and pass the ball to a midfielder.

I get that he's the danger but if you want every player going towards the danger the game would look like an u6s game where every player is just in whichever corner the ball is.

He could do that but that's not expected of him, that's not an error on his part it's someone not tracking a man and Semedo reacting late and trying to salvage something. With 80% of goals you could probably blame half the team based on how overly critical you are being here.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If that is true that is very poor by Nuno.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Wolves did not play very well, but credit where it is due. Burnley played very well and thoroughly deserved their victory. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be magnanimous in defeat.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
depends on context. Did they go and do it in private. Was it done in a training session for example, that's not acceptable really.

I agree with that. It does depend the context of course. The impression I get from the original post is that it may have been done in a clear the air meeting earlier in the season. I could be wrong though. Of course it may not even have occurred.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that he's the danger but if you want every player going towards the danger the game would look like an u6s game where every player is just in whichever corner the ball is.

He could do that but that's not expected of him, that's not an error on his part it's someone not tracking a man and Semedo reacting late and trying to salvage something. With 80% of goals you could probably blame half the team based on how overly critical you are being here.

I didn’t say every player should go towards the danger. It’s protecting the danger in his area. If Armstrong runs the other side I’d call out whoever was at fault on that side. People on here are quick to criticise Coady or Dendoncker or others in similar scenarios, Coady for instance will get abuse for his role in their first today and fair enough but it’s this propensity to make excuses for Semedo that baffles me. Multiple times I’ve agreed Traore is at fault in this particular instance and even brought up Dendoncker too, so why can’t you accept Semedo makes the wrong movement and gets himself caught flat footed and out of position?

Reaction score
I have said that on many occasions but today ranks with the worst , performance at Bristol City with Grant Holt playing springs to mind , there are obviously many others , but there is clearly something wrong , is the manager going and the players know that , why is Saiss playing on the right , today Nuno surely a back 4 , Podence , Neves , Coady ,Traore , time to go , I usually look forward to a game against the **** , right now dreading it ,O.O.D.C.L

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Wolves did not play very well, but credit where it is due. Burnley played very well and thoroughly deserved their victory. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be magnanimous in defeat.
Agreed...but jeez, we couldn't have made it any easier for them, with our lack of organisation, lack of passion and seemingly a total lack of effort and desire!
Burnley were equally as good, as we were dreadful!

D

Deleted member 11332

I didn’t say every player should go towards the danger. It’s protecting the danger in his area. If Armstrong runs the other side I’d call out whoever was at fault on that side. People on here are quick to criticise Coady or Dendoncker or others in similar scenarios, Coady for instance will get abuse for his role in their first today and fair enough but it’s this propensity to make excuses for Semedo that baffles me. Multiple times I’ve agreed Traore is at fault in this particular instance and even brought up Dendoncker too, so why can’t you accept Semedo makes the wrong movement and gets himself caught flat footed and out of position?

Abuse by idiots, just got beat by a good bit of play by wood. Nice feet and a great finish.

Because I don't think it is the wrong movement, I think he does what he should be doing and Adama doesn't in this instance. If he makes an error I'll say, today he was poor for the pass back and the mcginn defending was amateurish.

Contrada Lupa

Reaction score
I know players who don't play instantly become better options, but we sorely missed Moutinho today, Neves wasn't completely on it without proper training, and we needed someone to boss the midfield and keep the ball.
Defensively very lax. Why is Saiss on the right - that never works. Boly had a real off day, one of his worst. I think this lays to rest that it doesn't matter whether we have a back four or three; it's making mistakes that matters.
On that note I would like to see Marques and Lonwijk brought in, they are the defence of the future.
Up front, we simply did not hold the ball up well. Defence starts with the forwards and they put us under so much pressure throughout. And they did not gel as a unit. We might need to go back to a midfield five with a front two.
I think for the first goal, Rui was so concerned not to concede on his near post after recent goals there that he overcompensated.

LetTheBullLoose

Reaction score
Thank god for that. Coady - England - what a ****ing joke. To think we had players like Billy Wright, Bobby Moore, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd, even ****ing Rio Ferdinand, playing at the back for England. Coady's a ****ing fraud. Shouldn't be playing for Wolves, never mind England! He's ****ing ****. Hasn't got a scooby about defending. Loves being turned inside out, week in, week out! Scouse ****er!
Sarcasm? If not you should be ashamed of yourself. I completely get the upset, but 'he's ****ing ***.'? Criticise performances by all means, but that above is disgusting, as well as nonsense. I'll look forward to you posting the evidence which shows that he 'loves being turned inside out, week in, week out.'

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seven hours after the game finished and I am still bloody angry.
We virtually threw the Cup game to concentrate on the league - well that's worked well.
I'll forgive my team most things, but not a lack of effort.
Seriously, what the **** do they do in training every week?
I said at the time that the games vs Sheff United and Fulham were Championship standard games, but on that performance today we'd have struggled to beat Wycombe Wanderers.

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After mulling it over for a few hours, I am still fuming and can’t write a verdict of any sorts. I am 100% Nuno in camp, but if he were to go I’d understand.

Also, the Nuno out camp I can completely understand your understanding why.

The bloke has done enough since joining to warrant a fresh start next season. After that, then we’ll all decide.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10 individuals and a goalie. Couldn't really see a game plan. I think that Wolves really need to look at their transfer policy and ask themselves if they are bringing in the right players into the club in terms of balance to the team. Podence- just not good enough for the premier league. A few others also, not good enough.

The midfield were to a large extent ineffective and I think you'd get good odds at a bookies in Dedoncker winning a 50/50 ball.

I know we've had key injuries this season, but desire and effort cost nothing. They deserved it in every respect. Nuno - tactically we're naive and lightweight and he really needs to sort it out.
You mean we have one other than bring in players to line that greasy slime ball's pocket!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know players who don't play instantly become better options, but we sorely missed Moutinho today, Neves wasn't completely on it without proper training, and we needed someone to boss the midfield and keep the ball.
Defensively very lax. Why is Saiss on the right - that never works. Boly had a real off day, one of his worst. I think this lays to rest that it doesn't matter whether we have a back four or three; it's making mistakes that matters.
On that note I would like to see Marques and Lonwijk brought in, they are the defence of the future.
Up front, we simply did not hold the ball up well. Defence starts with the forwards and they put us under so much pressure throughout. And they did not gel as a unit. We might need to go back to a midfield five with a front two.
I think for the first goal, Rui was so concerned not to concede on his near post after recent goals there that he overcompensated.
I think Neves should have been given extra recovery time after his Covid infection. Nuno could have used MGW or Vitinha from the start and put Otasawie back in the squad. Burnley are scraping for survival and we’ve got some practice games for the rest of the season.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic.

Jackett, Zenga, Solbakken and Lambert were sacked for less....

I mean they definitely were not but whatever floats your boat.

Either way, nowhere near good enough. Sloppy, not at the races & everyone looked like a team who knows they're safe & want to see out the season.

Not one player or staff member can hold their heads up high today.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VERDICT.....0-4 and this time we cant even blame the referee.

Only possible get out cause......................Coote sneeked into the building and slipped some sleeping pills into the players' pre match drinks and then went to his cubby hole to watch it on his VAR machine.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No Verdict from me. Just going to try and forget all about the football now and try and enjoy the rest of my Birthday which isn't going to be easy now.

Thanks Wolves :mad:

Happy Birthday and commiserations, but it could be worse: they lost to Albion on mine back in January - I was so angry I don’t think I blinked for 15 minutes after the final whistle.

Back
Top Bottom