Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves - 5/1 relegated

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the same with the stockmarket. The is uncertainty with the new manager. Poor last season. Unknown if Raul will be back to his old form, Neves and Adama linked away, Neto injured and not many new faces in yet. Replaced Portugals number 1 for the number 4.

Yet We could still be a top 10 team this season if it clicks and we get some new faces in that make a difference

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5/1 is way too short. Won't see a penny of my money. 10/1 I may have been tempted.
That's about where I think we should be too. There are lots of very short odds at the beginning of the season. I think Newcastle were odds on last season.

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
Our owners are an investment company. Does anybody seriously think that they are going to sit idly by and watch their investment go down the drain?

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5/1 is way too short. Won't see a penny of my money. 10/1 I may have been tempted.
That's why you're not as rich as me ha
New manager will be gone by November. What are the odds on that?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton have very strange odds. I wouldn't put them anywhere near those prices. Bookies must know something I don't

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Listened to the part one of the Guardian Football Weekly podcast today. One of my favourites. They cover Wolves in detail in part two tomorrow. They had a general chat though. Unlike last season we're not mentioned at all as a possibility for the top 6 (Leeds, Villa seem to have overtaken us with regards to the media's exciting up and coming teams). However two of them did have Wolves down for relegation. Not that they are right, but it's interesting how our perception has changed in the minds of the media and other fans in comparison to last season and the season before.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listened to the part one of the Guardian Football Weekly podcast today. One of my favourites. They cover Wolves in detail in part two tomorrow. They had a general chat though. Unlike last season we're not mentioned at all as a possibility for the top 6 (Leeds, Villa seem to have overtaken us with regards to the media's exciting up and coming teams). However two of them did have Wolves down for relegation. Not that they are right, but it's interesting how our perception has changed in the minds of the media and other fans in comparison to last season and the season before.
We're a safe 'outside bet' if that makes sense!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 10 v relegation? I can see no way we'll be top 10 or relegated but if forced I think more likely to be relegated than make top 10. Quite sad really.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be honest if you were looking in from the outside you can see why we arent being mentioned as even a top ten side. It is obvious when you look at the squad.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the elephant in the room when it comes to our future prospects.

Whatever you think of the players/Nuno - we were absolutely diabolical after Jimenez got injured.

As long as Jimenez stays uninjured, we will be OK. The usual problem with relegated teams is that they can't score goals. If you have one world class player, the best position is as striker and that's what we are lucky enough to have. So long as he retains his previous form, it will be enough to keep us ahead of at least 3 or 4 other teams. Get Neto back, and Traore at his best and we could even get out of the bottom 6 :D

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thing is, last season, none of them would have had West Ham or Villa as top 6 contenders. I know Villa fell away at the end, but they were challenging up there till Grealish injury. And unlikely any of the experts had Sheff Utd to get off to the worst start ever in the top division. Mostly, people predict more of the same. Yet 2 seasons are rarely alike. It just seems pot luck who will be the surprise risers and fallers. The only safe bet is that the Sky 6 will be up there at the end of the season. The rest, you may as well draw them out at random, it seems.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as Jimenez stays uninjured, we will be OK. The usual problem with relegated teams is that they can't score goals. If you have one world class player, the best position is as striker and that's what we are lucky enough to have. So long as he retains his previous form, it will be enough to keep us ahead of at least 3 or 4 other teams. Get Neto back, and Traore at his best and we could even get out of the bottom 6 :D
First XI wise, we should be 7th/8th.

The drop off after a few injuries is pretty staggering though.

Keeping the best players fit is huge for us (and everyone else, I suppose!)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Thing is, last season, none of them would have had West Ham or Villa as top 6 contenders. I know Villa fell away at the end, but they were challenging up there till Grealish injury. And unlikely any of the experts had Sheff Utd to get off to the worst start ever in the top division. Mostly, people predict more of the same. Yet 2 seasons are rarely alike. It just seems pot luck who will be the surprise risers and fallers. The only safe bet is that the Sky 6 will be up there at the end of the season. The rest, you may as well draw them out at random, it seems.
I agree, most predictions aren't worth the paper they are written on and season after season nearly all football experts get them spectacularly wrong. I was just interested in how much the perception of us has changed to other fans and pundits. I thought the pessimism was mainly restricted to Wolves fans!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First XI wise, we should be 7th/8th.

The drop off after a few injuries is pretty staggering though.

Keeping the best players fit is huge for us (and everyone else, I suppose!)

Thats where the luck comes in, I think most other teams outside the Sky 6 and down to around 15th/16th are in a similar state. Decent enough first XI, but can be seriously damaged if anyone gets injured. We benefitted the first 2 years, though as we were the team that avoided injuries. Strange how we got most injuries in the season where we hardly ran around much. :confused:

Last season had a really odd points spread. 10 point gap between 11th and 12th. 29 points being enough to stay up! That must be the lowest ever.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest if you were looking in from the outside you can see why we arent being mentioned as even a top ten side. It is obvious when you look at the squad.
Really? I know you get twitchy and frustrated but……

7th placed squad

7th placed squad

13th placed squad

Relegation squad……… :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
21/22……..

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We will see what happens mate but the current squad is not good enough in depth and quality in certain positions in my opinion and this is probably why the odds are what they are. Add to that the likes of Moutinho, Boly, who is fairly injury prone now and Saiss who may be past their best then you can maybe see why from an outside point of view we could be seen as an outside tip to struggle. Lets hope it doesnt come to that and we add the needed quality.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, most predictions aren't worth the paper they are written on and season after season nearly all football experts get them spectacularly wrong. I was just interested in how much the perception of us has changed to other fans and pundits. I thought the pessimism was mainly restricted to Wolves fans!

It was changing last season as well. We arent viewed as we were 18 months ago.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see what happens mate but the current squad is not good enough in depth and quality in certain positions in my opinion and this is probably why the odds are what they are. Add to that the likes of Moutinho, Boly, who is fairly injury prone now and Saiss who may be past their best then you can maybe see why from an outside point of view we could be seen as an outside tip to struggle. Lets hope it doesnt come to that and we add the needed quality.
Absolutely agree with the lack of depth. It's paper thin in the defensive spine, so I hope the talk of defensive reinforcements materialise.

Also, Moutinho of 2/3 years ago was in the PL Team of the Season and was widely regarded as one of the best midfielders in the league. He's miles away from that now.

We should be miles away from relegation if we can keep the core players fit. If Jimenez, Neto, Boly, Neves, Traore, Semedo etc. spend half the season injured - as they did last season - we will be right in the mix, as the disparity between our first choice and reserve players is large.

Then again, who knows. Just idiots like me chatting ****e!

Key takeaways from looking at those odds:

- I fancy Brentford to do well.
- Brighton odds are too long
- Burnley odds look too small
- Leeds odds look too long

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point was that the core of the squad is mainly intact.

we had a god awful, **** season last year, and a perfect storm of injuries, lack of form, mistakes and plenrty of awful refffing… and maybe in hindsight poor coaching (as much as it pains me to say that)

however I think our biggest issue was mindset, and getting stuck in the defensive losing rut.

but when people see vestergaard as the answer and jealous of Leicester for signing him, it’s been stated by others he is ‘head and shoulders‘ their best defender….. this is a defence that let in 68 goals last season, a clear 16 goals more than our awful slow and lacking and out of form defence…….

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point was that the core of the squad is mainly intact.

we had a god awful, **** season last year, and a perfect storm of injuries, lack of form, mistakes and plenrty of awful refffing… and maybe in hindsight poor coaching (as much as it pains me to say that)

however I think our biggest issue was mindset, and getting stuck in the defensive losing rut.

but when people see vestergaard as the answer and jealous of Leicester for signing him, it’s been stated by others he is ‘head and shoulders‘ their best defender….. this is a defence that let in 68 goals last season, a clear 16 goals more than our awful slow and lacking and out of form defence…….
I feel fans get stuck in the mindset of signings equals good.

It's largely down to Sky, and what they brought to football with 24/7 news. Transfer windows are now arguably bigger events than matches themselves.

Players are joining clubs left right and centre. Sky (by which I mean media outlets in general - Sky just started the trend) are there to get access to every part of the journey.

Fans of other clubs start thinking 'Why aren't my club signing this player? My club has a problem with Defence/Midfield/Attack. We should sign this player.

They go on the internet and read the crap that passes for journalism nowadays (of which I use this article as a perfect example Wolves transfer update on Lee)

They turn back on Sky Sports News, to hear an opinion piece on the 'Winners of the transfer window'.

In all of this, the quality of existing squads for all but the top few are completely forgotten. Instead, this need for new new new is everywhere.

Your club releases a Twitter post saying something irrelevant and 40 people have already commented saying 'This is a shambles', 'Sign players', 'Announce someone'. (genuinely, next time Wolves tweet something, delve down the rabbit hole of some of the people who respond abruptly. A true study in human devolution)

It's all a giant frenzy, emblematic of a deep seated need for more that's at the heart of every human.

In summation, Vestegaard is alright but nothing special.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, our first XI finished 7th twice. It's not changed much.

Our injury ravaged XI limped to 13th/14th (I forget)

So it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility is it?
Depends on whether you listen to popular opinion on here.

Keeper - juries out.
Defence - Ait has potential, everyone else slow or crocked
Midfield - Neves ok if back to his best
Forwards - Great to have Raul back. Fabio might have potential one day. Traore plays one in four

Everyone else - meh.

That's just me summing up my perception of what I read on here

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on whether you listen to popular opinion on here.

Keeper - juries out.
Defence - Ait has potential, everyone else slow or crocked
Midfield - Neves ok if back to his best
Forwards - Great to have Raul back. Fabio might have potential one day. Traore plays one in four

Everyone else - meh.

That's just me summing up my perception of what I read on here
Hah! Like it.

Missed out Jonny. Every day he's injured is a day he's closer to Maldini ;)

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well, our first XI finished 7th twice. It's not changed much.

Our injury ravaged XI limped to 13th/14th (I forget)

So it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility is it?

Doc, Jonny and Jota were a big part of those 7th place finishes. I don't think they've been replaced by better, not even close sadly

I like your optimism though. And if we can bring in 2 or 3 who would instantly improve the starting xi then a top half finish doesn't sound too crazy to me, barring injuries

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc, Jonny and Jota were a big part of those 7th place finishes. I don't think they've been replaced by better, not even close sadly

I like your optimism though. And if we can bring in 2 or 3 who would instantly improve the starting xi then a top half finish doesn't sound too crazy to me, barring injuries
I'm not really optimistic tbh, just logical!

I think Semedo is a much better footballer than Doherty but we played much better football with the Irishman.

Biggest difference between the two teams for me is Moutinho. The player he was is not the player he is.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bookies don't often get it madly wrong. They see us having a difficult season, and they may be right. I would be happier with a couple if signings.
I still think with our forward options that we will be OK.
I mean they have us finishing 12th... which probably isn't a bad guess.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The odds is the reflection of the market..ie the punters..with the bookie as the broker.
Depending on eventual incomings..to me it seems like a fair valuation of where we are right now.
Given our current squad I expect us to finish 12-15.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather go all tits and teeth and say will we will make top 6. Do some of you really go to work and talk to albion/blues/villa fans like this? If I rocked up to work today and started talking football and say I've got a tenner or so on us going down I'd get laughed offsite.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Neto adama Raul

name me a better front 3 outside the top 6.

sort the defence and and looking up the table.

don’t think much as the same as last season mid table
Forward and wide positions even me as a pessimistic **** could argue they are top 6 in quality.

Id also definitely put our defence down as bottom six in quality. (Not the full backs)

The midfield is jus not a good fit for playing a 2 the quality is there but just not a good fit for the way most would like to play.

Back
Top Bottom