Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wat40rd Verdict

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I missed the party. Feeling my age a bit so decided to give it a miss. Knew it was a bad decision when I saw the team. Said in the pre-match thread that we were sure to win. Only difference was I would have started Pedro not Hwang.

Still, great win and superb goal by Ruben. I'll be back for Leeds I hope...

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superb. Had real intent from the off and it paid off handsomely. Even before the first goal, we got the ball out wide and there were four or five players busting a gut to get forward and it makes SUCH a difference compared to the passive style we've been enduring

Jimenez looked a player again, Podence was getting the ball in great positions and causing havoc, Moutinho knitting it all together and then Neves with his raking passes (not to mention his goal), it was just a really enjoyable night and we looked really good. Also special mention to the two defenders who hadn't started a game this season, they were excellent. Icing on the cake was Ben Foster obviously, great assist for Podence's goal and then to be chipped at the end ;)

People have been telling me for six months we can't play attack minded football, we don't have the players to and we have to play defensively. I've said for the past six months that that's a load of *******s, tonight we got what we were sold in the summer, tonight we attacked, we hunted, were good to watch and put (admittedly a poor) Watford to the sword, let's do it again on Sunday
Just got in an sheen the result. Brilliant. And here was me asking when was the last time Wolves scored more than 3 in the PL!

That opening para has me wandering why they don’t play like that all the time, or at least try to. So much better for it.

Looking like the current bottom 3 are for the drop unless Everton implode even further. Just hoping now we can turn in another good consistent performance at Goodson.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Neves - 9.5 - I was genuinely overcome by his performance tonight, up there with his very best, his distribution long and short was imperious, his covering in midfield was fantastic on and off the ball, and that goal..............just sick!
Is sick still in common usage Reans? Very 2010s ;)

Last edited:

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15 minutes after he came on last week I felt sorry for Johnny. He looked miles off the pace and a shadow of the player we know he can be. BUT he slowly grew into the game, despite the horrible team performance, and then tonight he goes and shows what an incredible player and professional he truly is. If we didn't have Stupendous Ruben running the show he'd be my favourite player at the club. Absolutely chuffed for him and let's hope that's his major injuries behind him.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we looked nervous and shaky first 5mins or so. Probably understandably in hindsight.

But once we got a foothold, not one player played bad

Boly, Jonny.. As you were. Both composed and quality.
Neves, take Mrs Walsall off me (obviously 40 years ago)
Raul thats more like it.
Pedro looked better coming off the bench.

My only moan is (and I would say this if we won 4-0,so yes, i am still saying it now) please please please bin the goal music.

But yes very happy. I have watched that Neves goal back already 8 times.

Oh and the icing on the cake, Ben Foster. The gift that keeps on giving.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read on the Watford fan site that in his post match, Woy said there’s no difference between losing 1-0 and 4-0, and best of all, they nearly drew the second half! Woy, you come across as a nice man, and you’ve certainly given a lot of your life to this profession, but I really think it’s time you retired and enjoy some golf or something.

But the award for the best on there goes to….

A34211A6-DAA5-4E33-AAEB-72A47C0FABA2.jpeg

Last edited:

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Thrilled for Boly and Jonny - been a long road back for both of them and they both looked excellent. I swear Boly must have had a dozen aerial clearances. Helped that Watford looked horrible - the first 20 minutes they were shockingly bad. Feels good to not have to sweat this one out, complete domination for 90 minutes.

As soon as you think you've seen it all from Ruben. Magician..

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit surprised by the Boly euphoria. Did he have anything to actually do? Perfect game to get him going again though.
Only bits, but when he had to do them he did look like the Boly of old - which I thought was long gone - and considering he's barely played, very impressive

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
We looked good against a poor Watford who gifted us a couple of goals. Against a more confident team, perhaps only the Neves goal would have been scored.
Boly, Jonny, RAN and Podence were excellent. Coady did the job. Sais was a but iffy at times but wont go into it since we won. Neves was supreme. Didnt notice Mout - is this a good thing? Raul improved a lot from last game but his touch is still a little off. Hwang can do better but hey, he supplied the pass for the first goal. Can be happy for a few days at least now.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the start it was like two teams who didn't want to really attack. We got our first, still didn't look brilliant, but a lovely cross from Jonny and an own goal put is in command, karma then **** on foster and a sweet third. We weren't particularly convincing in the first but we 3 up and largely untroubled.

Second half we took full control and ran the game, Watford gave up and we were in complete control, much better performance second half topped off by a goal of the season contender.

Top players today we're Jonny my MoM is for me the best wingback at the club and I really do wonder how good he could be in midfield?, boly who really turned back the clock to the cool commander we all love and neves who is our best player and scored a proper goal of the season contender.
That’s an interesting question about Jonny playing in midfield and then him playing with Semedo on the wing.

kinyo298

Reaction score
Have to say my only gripe was the amount of times Podence gives the ball away when going forward running at people.Against a better side we could get punished.Just happy to see us attacking down both flanks again and actually going forward instead of back all the time.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say my only gripe was the amount of times Podence gives the ball away when going forward running at people.Against a better side we could get punished.Just happy to see us attacking down both flanks again and actually going forward instead of back all the time.
Imagine MGW doing that? Unfortunately Podence wants to try flicks all the time, great when they come off but….

Anyway 2 of our 4 goals started with Neves passes early in the move

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves was sublime, was like when an ex pro gets pulled in as a ringer for a Sunday league team. All just looked so effortless.

Boly did really well, but one watch out would be it could hardly have been easier for him against those frontmen who barely broke sweat. So happy to see him back though.

Special mention though for Jonny. In all my years watching Wolves, I can’t think of another player so consistently 7/8 out of 10. So great to have him fit again. Him, RAN and Semedo provide 3 superb wing back options. (Don’t tell Hooever)

Andy Thompson??? (-;

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need that though, taking risks that can lose the ball.

This isn’t aimed at you specifically but the amount of times I see people on here complain that we’re safety first and it’s all slow side to side passing, then some of the of same people calling out Podence and saying MGW would be risky because they take chances and lose the ball.

You can’t have it both ways, people want us to take the handbrake off but without taking risks, that’s not how that works. Even Man City lose the ball taking risks, they just foul you to stop you breaking on them.

I don’t mind Podence losing the ball, because he’s generally trying something others won’t. To move the ball at pace and pull teams apart, to play good football, you have to take chances and play on the edge.

That’s what Podence does, that’s what MGW does. You need players like that or you’re just boring and predictable as we generally were when Podence was injured and Neto was unavailable too.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we could play like we are 3-0 up every game we would make Europe. Just shows how confidence effects performance. My MOTM is Johnny, how can he have so much time out and be that good. We have missed him.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A valuable 3 points. A training session against an absolutely woeful watford. Hopefully the shooting practice will give the boys some confidence.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I'm confused with everyone saying that there was nothing wrong with Rauls 2nd and also Thommo and Naylor saying on the commentary that there was nothing wrong with it why didn't VAR step in and overturn it

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I'm confused with everyone saying that there was nothing wrong with Rauls 2nd and also Thommo and Naylor saying on the commentary that there was nothing wrong with it why didn't VAR step in and overturn it
VAR couldn't intervene because the referee blew his whistle for a foul before Neves shot and definitely before Raul hit the rebound in. It was a very very soft foul. Should have been a goal but nothing that VAR could do.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR couldn't intervene because the referee blew his whistle for a foul before Neves shot and definitely before Raul hit the rebound in. It was a very very soft foul. Should have been a goal but nothing that VAR could do.
Thank you for clearing that up

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a very good performance but the only reservation I have is that Hodgson seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Wolves. The Watford setup let us play how we wanted to and didn't press us at all. The only other teams (that I recall) that let us do this was Spurs and Everton (under Benitez). I think Lampard wont make the same mistake as Hodgson and will be trying to do to us what Palace did.

T

TheConcourse

Think it’s because the referee blew his whistle and so players stop. Another example - like Arsenal away - of referees not being able to control themselves.

They should just let the move play out in dangerous attacking situations.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a very good performance but the only reservation I have is that Hodgson seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Wolves. The Watford setup let us play how we wanted to and didn't press us at all. The only other teams (that I recall) that let us do this was Spurs and Everton (under Benitez). I think Lampard wont make the same mistake as Hodgson and will be trying to do to us what Palace did.

Well spotted MRL. I thought exactly the same. The demoralized United also gave us time & space. If you give that to Moutinho and Neves, you're doomed, as their quality on the ball is immense. I would be much more confident if we dominated a game against a team who tries to press us.

That said, you can only beat what's in front of you! Bring on Frank Lampard's Everton.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch the first goal again. It came about because of the work rate and intensity of every Wolves player involved from Moutinho winning a header that the Watford player hardly bothered challenging for to the finish by Raul.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely different team with WBs that want the ball, create the options and space, and a proper striker as focal point.
Probably helps that Watford didn’t press in any meaningful way.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This has been the case for a few seasons. You have to press our DM 2. If our wing backs are off form we are screwed.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't watch the match. Why was raul's 2nd goal disallowed?
I can only think the ref gave a foul against someone (no idea who) blocking a Watford player from getting to Neves. Not seen any replays but seems very soft and as a few posters have said, the ref was a bit quick on his whistle, VAR may well have allowed the goal

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly pulled a Watford players shirt. That's why the ref disallowed the goal.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the atmosphere was a bit flat yesterday too, bar the Foster chants but even they died a bit 2nd half.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly pulled a Watford players shirt. That's why the ref disallowed the goal.

Might be the right call, but Boly was blatantly held in the box at one point (Watford player's arms fully around him), and a lot of pretty straightforward fouls not given. Several pushes and shoulder barges not given.

Definitely not a great refereeing performance.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We look SO much better when Neves isn't playing in defence.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Creative players take risks with the ball (at least they should!) seen someone mention that Raúl gave it away a lot too but he was also trying things. Where Podence really infuriates me is if he wastes a good position with a flick or back heel when he has a more 'conventional' pass on, or if he does it too close to our own goal. Got no problem with him losing possession when he's attacking and trying to open something up

One thing I thought was noticeable about Podence last night though, he tended not to hang on to the ball as much as usual, and looked better for it

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice to see us win, win well and see Foster humiliated. All-in-all, we couldn't have asked for more, but I will. I think we let Watford off the hook in the second half and played the match in second gear. Maybe thoughts were on Everton on Sunday, but it was a real opportunity to rack-up a cricket score. Anyway, some things to be cheerful about including Boly's performance, Jonny's first half and Neves's goal.

Ratings;

Sa - 6 - Nothing to do, but bringing the hookah pipe out and changing into a smoking jacket was taking the ****.
Saiss - 6 - Not great, but didn't need to be. Silly free kick and booking.
Coady - 7 - Probably won't have a more comfortable match in his career.
Boly - 8 - Sublime. Could have played in ballet shoes.
RAN - 8 - A constant threat. Would have scored him higher, but silly foul nearly cost us. He'll learn, though.
Jonny - 8 - Continued his recovery. Semedwho?
Moutinho - 7.5 - He and Neves bossed the midfield.
Neves - 9 - Great performance, capped-off with a great goal.
Hwang - 6 - Great work for the opener, but not much else.
Podence - 8 - Great strike from Foster's pass (with his wrong foot). Still some silly flicks, but I guess we have to take that.
Jimi - 7 - Took his goal well and should have had a second, but for some crazy reffing. Should be a confidence boost.

Subs;

Neto - 7 - Looked busy and building up fitness.
Silva - 6 - Didn't do much.
Chiqui - N/A - Busy cameo.

Most applauded Lage's starting line-up and it's fair to say it worked. Biggest Premier League win for ages and a number of returning players got miles in their legs. Now follow it up with a similar performance at Everton.

Back
Top Bottom