Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much do the Vile miss Grealish, playmaker and could put a shift in. They looked like they really lacked defensive midfielder cover and Mings and Konsa panicked every time the ball went in their half.
What a brilliant day out.
Heard the train carnage was due to a fan collapsing, emergency cord being pulled and then staff couldn't shut the doors. Glad it wasn't our lot delaying everyone. Saw some shouting and squaring up on the Stafford Road/Ring road junction. So much for the friendly derby!

It's always bin known as a friendly derby because of both sets of fans hating blouse and baggies.But now we are the top boys in the Midlands they hate us.They need to start concentrating on getting behind their team cuz they're the worst set of fans to come to molineux.Or is it the fact they felt intimidated by the South bank.Oh and the rest of the ground. :tonguewink:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Sa and Kilman were great, Fabio had a good game and Moutinho was outstanding. Donk did really well.

Personally thought Marcel made 2 big mistakes in losing the ball and let Villa in but everyone else thinks he was great so maybe I’m wrong.
A tad harsh on Marcal but agree with the rest. Jonny was superb too.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I think Podence’s decision making and execution in the final third is awful.

Everton away he got into good positions on two or three occasions and picked the wrong option every time.

For our first goal yesterday he delayed and delayed getting his shot off - fortunately we scored so this perhaps went under the radar. Just don’t think he’s got that killer instinct.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Everton away he got into good positions on two or three occasions and picked the wrong option every time.

For our first goal yesterday he delayed and delayed getting his shot off - fortunately we scored so this perhaps went under the radar. Just don’t think he’s got that killer instinct.
We had another game recently, might have been Leeds, where the ball was there for him to hit but he had to take an extra touch and we lost the chance, even though his chance was a clear cut opening. Does take far too many touches for my liking and when he moves it quicker, tends to play better

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Have to disagree NNW.

Our GK did not clatter their CF in the area. It was the other way round! Sa came out to catch the ball around waist high. Watkins just clattered into him when the ball had gone.

As a Mixer, I don’t think the whole world and his dog has a agenda against Wolves. I just think that the God awful Premier League referees and VAR officials have.
I mean, how was it that the ball was gone? What caused that?

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I cannot mek me mind up if I agree with ya or not. :tonguewink: Bruno want them to receive and pass,receive and pass.But everyone need to be on the same wavelength.Perhaps he is having to wait for someone to get into position.BUT I'm definitely not gonna pick on any of ar players after that win,and thats for sure.Think we will see the true Bruno side next season.And I reckon it's gonna be a gudun.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Having listened to various outlets and then watching the game after, the first and second half didn't go as i expected. Indicatuons were that we dominated the first half and villa came back into it in the second. On viewing, whilst we scored the goals and created good chances in the 1st half, villa had a lot more of the ball than i expected - though not doing anyrhing with it - and wasn't as dominating as i was lead to believe. Not to say there wasn't some nice play though.

I actually think we played better and looked more comfortable (until the pen) in the 2nd. Maybe it was different watching the game after the fact, but i saw it differently to how it was reported at the time.

Overall i thought much the better team. Lots of chances created with few conceded. Some nice play. Lots of marginal decisioms against us as usual. Moutinho brilliant. The best game in some time by Donk and maybe best altogether from Fabio. Back 3 solid (bar letting watkins in for the 1on1). Jonny is magic. Marcal decent. Podence busy and some nice glimpses from Trincao. Couple of manic moments from Sa but a good game nonetheless.

Semedo and Neto coming back. Happy times

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good closeup look at the Villa on Saturday, so a few remarks.

Players

I'd take Watkins and Martinez. Those two could come into the Wolves line-up without diluting its strength, imo.
Watkins has decent pace, good movement and works really hard. Dont think he is ever going to be a top level
finisher of chances, but will deliver 10-15 goals a season.

Martinez, strong and competent keeper.

Otherwise, not overly impressed. Coutinho is a top class player, but doubtful if he will stay fit or motivated enough to
make a big difference. Certainly not a replacement for Grealish, who was capable of influencing entire games. Coutinho
would never be any use to Wolves, who simply dont play with a no. 10 type role, indeed that position is fading
out of relevance in the modern game.

The rest are decent enough players, but nothing inspiring, and I for one cannot see any of them forcing their way
into the current Wolves line-up. Ramsey may become a major player, as some of his performances suggest, but
he was anonymous on Saturday. Villa fans seem to think he has been overplayed and needs a break.

There is obvious weakness in the centre of the field, whether that is lack of defensive cover for the back line,
or just lack of coherence amongst the centre backs. Mings looks to have lost confidence to a high degree, and
that appears to be spreading to the rest of the team.

Wolves had a lot more options from the bench too. Even though Raul and Neves were out. (Although that isnt
really true of midfield, where we only had Cundle to put in if Moutinho or Dendonker were injured). But our
options for forwards and defenders were much superior to Villa's. Wolves squad depth has become a real
marker of the gap now.

Tactics and organisation

There were gaps in Villa's organisation all over the pitch. As soon as Wolves got hold of the ball, a dangerous
attack was on the cards, Villa players failed to provide any cover for their team mates. It was far too easy for Wolves to
play through Villa's overmanned midfield. The old rule of football that a team cannot be successful without a strong
defence asserted itself continually.

Not to make too much however of the victory and of judging too much by Villa's performance. They had their chances,
Sa made a couple of excellent saves and, in an attacking sense, Villa were intermittently a threat. But one could see
fairly easily, that one team was battling it out for a mid-table finish, the other striving to break into the top 6.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watkins £30m? The player we should of signed instead of Fabio, who is older, missed far easier chances than Fabio's.

To misquote Harry Redknapp, Fabio Silva will achieve far more in the game than Ollie Watkins ever does.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watkins £30m? The player we should of signed instead of Fabio, who is older, missed far easier chances than Fabio's.

To misquote Harry Redknapp, Fabio Silva will achieve far more in the game than Ollie Watkins ever does.
Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Fabio. Just observing that Watkins is good player, who will give
any team problems.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how much wonga the Villa owners make available to Gerrard in the summer especially when you look at their spending since they were promoted.

Saw a media rumour that they are prepared to offer £60m for Kalvin Phillips. Clearly their owners have absolutely no worries about breaching FFP.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly, Coady, Jonny, Marcal , Kilman , Moutinho , Dendoncker and Sa.
A bit like a locked safe . Get past that lot !
Villa have for years looked fragile at the back and that will remain a difference IMO , while Villa owners look like so many others; incapable of the longterm dull bit of building from the back.
Hence I cant see the gap being bridged for a few years yet .

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said here and elsewhere when they signed Coutinho, they're really assembling a side of overpaid shirkers who will light it up on occasion due to natural ability but won't have it in them when the going gets tough.

Coutinho, as predicted, showed glimpses of real quality early on but over time he's starting to hide a bit. Taking the same path as Everton's James Rodriguez.

Their manager can't be helping things. I find Bruno a bit tough to like at times but Gerrard is just cliche after cliche, proper footballing man, urgh it must be infuriating when they're losing most weeks and he's coming out with his drivel.

Matty Cash is the only player I particularly like but we're seemingly well stocked at wing-back these days.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They looked what they are: a rag-bag of individuals, some quite talented, with no team ethic and no plan. But very expensively assembled (or should I say 'thrown together'). And Gerard has the effrontery to suggest that that were the better team in the 2nd half! What planet is he on? Before the ref kindly offered them a way back into the game, we were passing them into oblivion in the 2nd half, so much so that I thought they had thrown the towel in. This after a 1st half in which a 4-0 lead would not have flattered us, they were so bad. Gerard will be sacked before next Christmas

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They looked what they are: a rag-bag of individuals, some quite talented, with no team ethic and no plan. But very expensively assembled (or should I say 'thrown together'). And Gerard has the effrontery to suggest that that were the better team in the 2nd half! What planet is he on? Before the ref kindly offered them a way back into the game, we were passing them into oblivion in the 2nd half, so much so that I thought they had thrown the towel in. This after a 1st half in which a 4-0 lead would not have flattered us, they were so bad. Gerard will be sacked before next Christmas
Tbf Gerrard said we should have been out of sight first half,and they did have a couple of good chances second half, but more down to us going deeper than them improving
Probably Watkins the only player i would be remotely interested in,but tbh i really dont care about them at all

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how much wonga the Villa owners make available to Gerrard in the summer especially when you look at their spending since they were promoted.

Saw a media rumour that they are prepared to offer £60m for Kalvin Phillips. Clearly their owners have absolutely no worries about breaching FFP.
Maybe selling Grealish for £100m got them out of their PFP mire?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good closeup look at the Villa on Saturday, so a few remarks.

Players

I'd take Watkins and Martinez. Those two could come into the Wolves line-up without diluting its strength, imo.
Watkins has decent pace, good movement and works really hard. Dont think he is ever going to be a top level
finisher of chances, but will deliver 10-15 goals a season.

Martinez, strong and competent keeper.

Otherwise, not overly impressed. Coutinho is a top class player, but doubtful if he will stay fit or motivated enough to
make a big difference. Certainly not a replacement for Grealish, who was capable of influencing entire games. Coutinho
would never be any use to Wolves, who simply dont play with a no. 10 type role, indeed that position is fading
out of relevance in the modern game.

The rest are decent enough players, but nothing inspiring, and I for one cannot see any of them forcing their way
into the current Wolves line-up. Ramsey may become a major player, as some of his performances suggest, but
he was anonymous on Saturday. Villa fans seem to think he has been overplayed and needs a break.

There is obvious weakness in the centre of the field, whether that is lack of defensive cover for the back line,
or just lack of coherence amongst the centre backs. Mings looks to have lost confidence to a high degree, and
that appears to be spreading to the rest of the team.

Wolves had a lot more options from the bench too. Even though Raul and Neves were out. (Although that isnt
really true of midfield, where we only had Cundle to put in if Moutinho or Dendonker were injured). But our
options for forwards and defenders were much superior to Villa's. Wolves squad depth has become a real
marker of the gap now.

Tactics and organisation

There were gaps in Villa's organisation all over the pitch. As soon as Wolves got hold of the ball, a dangerous
attack was on the cards, Villa players failed to provide any cover for their team mates. It was far too easy for Wolves to
play through Villa's overmanned midfield. The old rule of football that a team cannot be successful without a strong
defence asserted itself continually.

Not to make too much however of the victory and of judging too much by Villa's performance. They had their chances,
Sa made a couple of excellent saves and, in an attacking sense, Villa were intermittently a threat. But one could see
fairly easily, that one team was battling it out for a mid-table finish, the other striving to break into the top 6.
This post was moved for some strange reason. Comments on Villa not Wolves.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe selling Grealish for £100m got them out of their PFP mire?
I think they spent the Grealish money on Buendia, Ings, Bailey & Digne so it was pretty much cancelled out.
Correct me if I am wrong but they sold Villa park to even out the risks of FFP breach in 2019?

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf Gerrard said we should have been out of sight first half,and they did have a couple of good chances second half, but more down to us going deeper than them improving
Probably Watkins the only player i would be remotely interested in,but tbh i really dont care about them at all
Yes - as much as I can't stand his monotone droning rambles, it was respectful (albeit indirectly) of Gerrard to compliment our first half performance.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They reckon SG will have another 150/200m for this summer and they expect a clear out. I reckon many of their players have stopped playing knowing this to be honest. You can’t expect an overhaul every summer 2/3 additions they would be stronger. It’s about steady progress, our plan is working because everyone is committed. I believe too much money being thrown about they just aren’t playing for the right reasons. The gift that keeps on giving spend another 200m and be even worse, go on gerrard could do with another laugh and 6 points!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom