Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps someone on the Mix who works with statistics could post how many penalties have been awarded against us this season, and how many for us.

I can think of four against us, City, Leeds, Spurs, Villa, but only one for us, Southampton.
And how many of them should of been give? City-definatly not, Spurs for me was an Alli dive so I believe not, yesterday I believe not so in my opinion only one of those should have been given and 2 out of those 3 cost us points

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fantastic to have Boly back, amazed at how confident and positive we looked on the back of the Leeds game and missing neves and Jimenez. Jonny is absolute top class, impressed with Fabio. Trincao looked loads better, if he can put some form together with a couple of goals we could have a player on our hands, a big IF though.

Watched it with a villa fan which made for a great Saturday

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Perhaps someone on the Mix who works with statistics could post how many penalties have been awarded against us this season, and how many for us.

I can think of four against us, City, Leeds, Spurs, Villa, but only one for us, Southampton.
Brentford and Palace also had penalties at Molineux

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If everyone is fit and available that back three has to start the remaining games so much more balanced with Boly on the right and Kilman on the left... Maybe a little harsh on Saiss but he hasn't been at his best lately!
Don’t know about Boly he was terribly sluggish and Watkin skinned him on several occasions. I think he’s weakened our defence since he returned.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@northnorfolkwolf As the clip in the post from @Woodsetton Wolf shows, from that angle it was clearly Watkins who clatters Sa. The stream I watched showed another angle, and in that it was a coming together after which Watkins rolls around on the floor until the ref makes a decision, then pops up. Only in a Villa fans dreams is that clearly a penalty.

Now I can excuse a ref making the call based on a single angle in real time, but VAR with all the angles available is specifically there to address that. Moreover, there are revised penalty rules which are intended to stop penalties being given for attackers diving or seeking accidental contact. So where the hell was Mason in the VAR booth? Probably in the bog not even watching. Let’s be honest, Mason has a long track record of not challenging wrong on field decisions, and being poor. Good riddance when he retires after this season.
Also VAR should have made it be retaken as they had players clearly inside the box when he hit the ball.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The penalty v villa and Jimenez sending off are fairly similar.

It seems in both cases what the officials are doing is simply siding with the player that gets the first touch on the ball.
I don’t think this is right, and I’m not sure if that is how the rules are written, but that seems to be what they do.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A word on our front three yesterday...

Fabio clearly had his best game in a Wolves shirt. For a 19 year old a really promising performance. But let's keep things in perspective. He wasn't fabulous, he didn't bully the Villa defence and he most certainly wasn't man of the match. The impartial WhoScored had him behind Sa, Boly, Kilman, Podence and the excellent Jonny. But a really promising performance, and let's see how he does on Friday.
Whoscored isn't impartial as such though, it's statistically driven. They rated Moutinho as our second worst player yesterday, and (while I was a bit generous in giving my MOTM to Silva) Moutinho was the best player on the pitch. Gave an absolute masterclass in midfield, but only Coady had a worse game in a Wolves shirt according to Whoscored - and they actually gave MOTM to John McGinn

Either way though, he did play well, think everyone is acknowledging that, and he'll have another chance on Friday to break his duck for the season, fingers crossed he manages it!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. If you get there first, you're winning on way it another

Let's keep watching and see what happens when Boly/Kilman/etc stretch, win the ball first and a Liverpool/Man Utd hits the deck. I can already predict it "Ah, but getting the ball first means nothing in the modern game. You just can't go in like that". There is subjectivity at every turn.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that he turned up blind alleys and gave the ball away too much but there was one moment in the first 10 mins around the half way line that showed his real quality. A really high ball was played from out wide to around the centre circle and he pulled that ball down and killed it in one swoop while under pressure. It was breathtaking.

There is a player in there and he is learning about the Prem. and feeling his way. It was like this for Jota and Neto when they first came into the Prem and they developed. I totally understand why some people don't feel he's up to play at Prem level but he is showing glimpses and signs of real quality.

Once he has more experience, beefed himself up a bit and got the confidence he actually can play at this level, then I'm sure he will be a good asset. Whether he's worth a straight swap for Traore is open to question and it also comes down to how much money he wants to stay. I'm far more prepared to give him more time than I was Vitinha as I see things in him that give our team better balance than with Traore in it.
Also Trincao was the player that Forced Ashley Young into the own goal, he also won the tackle and showed some sublime skill that set up Silvas saved one on one and was turning Digne inside out at will - he had a good game today.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence’s theatrics are painful, I completely agree. I do wonder though if this may be instructions from Bruno rather than just him. Ever since that god awful Brentford “performance” against us, it’s like we’ve decided that two can play that game too. Some players seem naturally suited to it, and I think Podence is one of them, like Fernandes, and Grealish. All tricky players, but all capable of falling over. When he first arrived, it took a lot to stop him. Now, he goes over like a skittle. I can’t believe that’s not intentional on behalf of the coach, and I don’t see Bruno or his team shouting to him to get off the grass and play. It doesn’t seem to win us many free kicks, but it does disrupt the game flow, and that’s something which has appeared in our play since Brentford.
Lage was shouting at Podence to get up yesterday when he was rolling around in front of the bench.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All Wolves fans should be so proud and happy of our team after beating our local rivals and do the double over little Aston Villa today.
Especially without two of our best players to boot.

No doubt about it now... " Pride Of the Midlands " that's what we are :)
Happy days... don't forget to tune in today to find out who the worst team in Birmingham is. ;)

Last edited:

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have spot kick rules changed in that the ball doesn't have to be on the spot anymore but can overhang the periphery by a millimetre.

I ask because the ball was definitely not on the spot.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel that he is being targeted. He is very tricky and skilful so sides are clattering him. Being small doesn't help with physicality. You don't see the opposition bash Willy Bolt.
One of the things I miss most about Adama is seeing players try to clatter him and bounce off.

Podence must be a nightmare to play against though, such a tricky player.

Reaction score
I think Podence was great yesterday, I think he got done a couple of times yesterday & then had to go off. The way he was dropping into the midfield to pick up the ball gives us an extra body, then next he is upfront pulling defenders all over the place. It seems like too many are focusing on the very small negatives of his play to what he does for the team. His work rate is good, his positioning is good without the ball & then around the area he is very dangerous always attempting to go forward but also Happy playing the simple ball. Such a good player.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
Good win all told but not sure it was as good a performance as some seem to think. Despite creating some good openings on the break we still only won thanks to a freak own goal. That said, the penalty was a joke as well and the refs have certainly tried to stitch us up the last two outings.

Not really any poor performances today though and Silva the pick for me, he looked like he wanted it and hopefully he keeps his spot for a few games now and isn't just dropped for Jimenez.
not really it is the second time we have battered them at home 2-1.we could and should have had at least 5

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My post re referees on another site earlier today:

Football has a major problem in that it is run by idiots with no common sense or the ability to think things through. I hope the proposed regulator is introduced and works as it should do. Time to sort the game out methinks!
I agree that he turned up blind alleys and gave the ball away too much but there was one moment in the first 10 mins around the half way line that showed his real quality. A really high ball was played from out wide to around the centre circle and he pulled that ball down and killed it in one swoop while under pressure. It was breathtaking.

There is a player in there and he is learning about the Prem. and feeling his way. It was like this for Jota and Neto when they first came into the Prem and they developed. I totally understand why some people don't feel he's up to play at Prem level but he is showing glimpses and signs of real quality.

Once he has more experience, beefed himself up a bit and got the confidence he actually can play at this level, then I'm sure he will be a good asset. Whether he's worth a straight swap for Traore is open to question and it also comes down to how much money he wants to stay. I'm far more prepared to give him more time than I was Vitinha as I see things in him that give our team better balance than with Traore in it.
For such a skinny lad, he’s got a fair dig on him. The shot in the second half where Martinez nearly got busted by the swerving ball and could only parry it, mint!
He needs to just smash the ball instead of having one too many touches and he’ll come good.
Still not a straight swap with Adama though.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I think we have a surprisingly good record without Jimenez this season/Neves last season + this season
It’s never quite the disaster we expect

Remember the “we’ve significantly weakened the squad” line that was constantly getting rolled out post January transfer window regarding traore’s departure. Think we’ve coped just fine without his presence also.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much do the Vile miss Grealish, playmaker and could put a shift in. They looked like they really lacked defensive midfielder cover and Mings and Konsa panicked every time the ball went in their half.
What a brilliant day out.
Heard the train carnage was due to a fan collapsing, emergency cord being pulled and then staff couldn't shut the doors. Glad it wasn't our lot delaying everyone. Saw some shouting and squaring up on the Stafford Road/Ring road junction. So much for the friendly derby!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much do the Vile miss Grealish, playmaker and could put a shift in. They looked like they really lacked defensive midfielder cover and Mings and Konsa panicked every time the ball went in their half.
What a brilliant day out.
Heard the train carnage was due to a fan collapsing, emergency cord being pulled and then staff couldn't shut the doors. Glad it wasn't our lot delaying everyone. Saw some shouting and squaring up on the Stafford Road/Ring road junction. So much for the friendly derby!
If that is true about the train problems then it puts a whole different complexion on it.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The penalty v villa and Jimenez sending off are fairly similar.

It seems in both cases what the officials are doing is simply siding with the player that gets the first touch on the ball.
I don’t think this is right, and I’m not sure if that is how the rules are written, but that seems to be what they do.
That's what I was trying to say earlier but you put it better and more succinctly! Refs are conditioned to give the benefit to the player who touches the ball first. If that happens to be in the area then it's a penalty. Right or wrong, VAR or no VAR that's what happens. We'd be delighted if that had happened to Silva in their penalty area.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can moan about the penalty all you want but none of our players argued about it. The referee certainly lost control of the game towards the end but nobody on the pitch questioned the pen longer than two seconds of the automatic reaction that comes with conceding one.

Well deserved victory. Dendoncker, Moutinho were great. Pleased Fabio played well. Nobody had a bad game tbh. Comfortable until the last 10 mins. Well done boys.

perhaps the players day see it clear enough,same as the ref.But that's what Var is for ay it.But obviously not for wolves.Never a pen in a month of ****ing sundays.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Sa and Kilman were great, Fabio had a good game and Moutinho was outstanding. Donk did really well.

Personally thought Marcel made 2 big mistakes in losing the ball and let Villa in but everyone else thinks he was great so maybe I’m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom