Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it is clear that Wolves do not have to play against their opponents 11 against 11, but they have to play also against the baised officials. It is not just the last two matches, but one can mention, the other bad decisions Wolves faced against Man. Utd at home, Spurs at home, Man. City away, Leeds at home, which just came to my mind, but there may be others as well. Pundits say such decisions balance themselves during the season, but I am still waiting for just one decision in Wolves favour, when it should have been against Wolves.

Rugrats

Reaction score
Looks like he clattered him from that angle? Whether he did or didn't don't give the referee the opportunity to make a decision. As I said earlier if that had been their keeper on Silva we would all have cried penalty. Wolves fans are looking at it through old gold coloured glasses.
Who on earth is that spoilt little runt ? Couldn't understand a word the eejit was saying

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good closeup look at the Villa on Saturday, so a few remarks.

Players

I'd take Watkins and Martinez. Those two could come into the Wolves line-up without diluting its strength, imo.
Watkins has decent pace, good movement and works really hard. Dont think he is ever going to be a top level
finisher of chances, but will deliver 10-15 goals a season.

Martinez, strong and competent keeper.

Otherwise, not overly impressed. Coutinho is a top class player, but doubtful if he will stay fit or motivated enough to
make a big difference. Certainly not a replacement for Grealish, who was capable of influencing entire games. Coutinho
would never be any use to Wolves, who simply dont play with a no. 10 type role, indeed that position is fading
out of relevance in the modern game.

The rest are decent enough players, but nothing inspiring, and I for one cannot see any of them forcing their way
into the current Wolves line-up. Ramsey may become a major player, as some of his performances suggest, but
he was anonymous on Saturday. Villa fans seem to think he has been overplayed and needs a break.

There is obvious weakness in the centre of the field, whether that is lack of defensive cover for the back line,
or just lack of coherence amongst the centre backs. Mings looks to have lost confidence to a high degree, and
that appears to be spreading to the rest of the team.

Wolves had a lot more options from the bench too. Even though Raul and Neves were out. (Although that isnt
really true of midfield, where we only had Cundle to put in if Moutinho or Dendonker were injured). But our
options for forwards and defenders were much superior to Villa's. Wolves squad depth has become a real
marker of the gap now.

Tactics and organisation

There were gaps in Villa's organisation all over the pitch. As soon as Wolves got hold of the ball, a dangerous
attack was on the cards, Villa players failed to provide any cover for their team mates. It was far too easy for Wolves to
play through Villa's overmanned midfield. The old rule of football that a team cannot be successful without a strong
defence asserted itself continually.

Not to make too much however of the victory and of judging too much by Villa's performance. They had their chances,
Sa made a couple of excellent saves and, in an attacking sense, Villa were intermittently a threat. But one could see
fairly easily, that one team was battling it out for a mid-table finish, the other striving to break into the top 6.
I think it's a bit harsh judging them on that performance; but they ay great! Luiz is decent and Buendia is a very good player. Agree with your points about Countinho, a superb player on his day but too many off days now. Their defense is a shambles though isn't it, crap full backs (Ashley Old apart), and Mings looks low in confidence.

Also, their support, which although a bit soft is usually loud, was really crap on Saturday. Anyone know what actually happened on the train btw?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst it was a masterclass yesterday his pass only got to Podence because the Villa player slipped? Just saying.

Nah, Moutinho chips it so well, with a slight bend on it, it ties Konsa up in knots and that's why his legs get tangled with his armpits. When you are as good as Moutinho, that's the kind of thing you can do. :D

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They reckon SG will have another 150/200m for this summer and they expect a clear out. I reckon many of their players have stopped playing knowing this to be honest. You can’t expect an overhaul every summer 2/3 additions they would be stronger. It’s about steady progress, our plan is working because everyone is committed. I believe too much money being thrown about they just aren’t playing for the right reasons. The gift that keeps on giving spend another 200m and be even worse, go on gerrard could do with another laugh and 6 points!!
I keep seeing all this talk of a clear out, I think that’s wishful thinking on behalf of villa. The players they want to get rid won’t be so easy to ship out, long contracts on big money, why would they leave?

I said in the summer when they were spending they wouldn’t improve and they really haven’t. They’ve signed some duds and they’ve signed a few who are nowhere near as good as they thought they would be a certainly not for the money paid. There’s a lack of cohesion clearly between the recruitment staff and and coaching staff because they’ve got a pretty lopsided squad that’s well stacked in some areas and woeful in others, add to that a manager who genuinely looks well out his depth and that adds up to another summer of wasted money and ending up mid table again

Back
Top Bottom