Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence took an elbow to the face in the first half and in the second he got clattered to the extent that we had to get the 4th official to change the number on the subs board from Trincao to his.

I agree he’s the most ‘theatrical’ player in our side, don’t get me wrong, but yesterday is a bizarre game to suddenly start calling him out for it. He literally went off injured!

I've been calling him out on it for a long time now. I do think its getting to the stage where ( as was said a few posts back ) he is so over dramatic he is starting to not get things given to him when he is genuinely fouled.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to come back with a win. I thought it was a largely comfortable game in which we should have scored a few more. We made hard work of it in the end again. Some poor defensive mistakes by Villa, but we made the most of them. It was a quality finish by Young. A proper striker's goal.

There were some really good individual performances throughout the team. Moutinho was the man of the match for me, although Silva was a close second. Hopefully, a goal from him will come soon as everything else he did very well. Pace, strength, and passing were all on show.

I was concerned that the players' heads went again yesterday. That's something to work on in the future. They need to stay calm and not get involved in petty nonsense

The dream of Europe is still alive.

Goal music -Booooo

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good win, but we do like making it hard for ourselves. One day everything will click up front and someone will get a good hiding.

Regarding the penalty, I am not sure how the referee decided it was a foul by Sa, but that is where VAR should have come into play. But yet again it has been shown to be not fit for purpose.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Credit needs to go to our recruitment . We appear to purchase players who fit in to our model and not just splash cash on names
There is clear evidence of skill in individual players and a close knit team spirit.
Difference between us and Villas scatter gun approach, or let’s buy up Gerard’s mates approach

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the way to the ''penalty'' incident, Buendia was more clearly fouled outside the box. If anything, England should have given them a free kick at that point.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the passion.
Hate the method.
I thought the civil service was more circumspect.
Not when it comes to Vilers, lol.

It was bloody cold stuck on Wolvo station for over two hours. If they'd have said what time trains were likely to start running l'd have gone to the pub!

Last edited:

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A word on our front three yesterday...

Fabio clearly had his best game in a Wolves shirt. For a 19 year old a really promising performance. But let's keep things in perspective. He wasn't fabulous, he didn't bully the Villa defence and he most certainly wasn't man of the match. The impartial WhoScored had him behind Sa, Boly, Kilman, Podence and the excellent Jonny. But a really promising performance, and let's see how he does on Friday.

Trincao - I still can't see that he's worth signing, or swapping with Adama - and no way on God's earth is he worth £130,000 a week.

Pod? I wouldn't be unhappy if we sell him. He's a lovely footballer and he's intelligent, but I'm just sick to death of the theatrics. Many posters have said if you could only put Pod's footballing brain into Adama's body. Fair point - but if you could only put Jonny's attitude into Daniel Podence...

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh **** off. What I saw was a constant unwillingness to attempt a forward pass, unlike Boly, say.

You all know by now that Donck ruins my day just by existing right? Well other than messing up his chance he was excellent yesterday. I agree about his limitations but yesterday his job was to stop villa playing and he did that.

Trincao - quite good first half but didn't quite get it right where it mattered. Typical awful second half though. There's literally no point in him appearing after the break. Still, felt on another day he'd have grabbed a goal and is worth a start at the moment.

Short of miracles there's still no way he's worth the quoted fee whereas we'd all be happy if we were buying on of the champ's top young and english players - hello morgan.

Last edited:

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the game, great performance.

When fit, Jonny is one of the most complete and underrated full backs in world football.

Great to see Dendoncker have a good game and Moutinho was a Rolls Royce in midfield.

I saw Fabio described somewhere as ‘like Harry Kane if Harry Kane couldn’t shoot’ - which in itself is a huge compliment given Kane’s all round game, but I actually thinking shooting Fabio’s best attribute, and with a run of games and some confidence he will be the complete forward. He’s strong as well now, must be putting away those mixed grills in Pennfields!

Finally that penalty - wow. Just wow. They basically gave a foul for a charge as they would in basketball. Let’s just instruct our players to try and nick balls whilst throwing themselves at people to win a foul or injure our opponent. Breathtaking incompetence.

I’m not sure how many people saw the VAR decisions which United and Liverpool were given in their favour. Whilst I think on balance they were both correct, can anybody truly say that they could EVER see us (or any other non super league team) benefitting from such diligent VAR coverage where for example with Jota nobody even appealed?! It’s shocking and flagrant bias at best and corruption at worst. At least if it was corruption it would mean that they are competent!!

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't remember our players reacting to a win as pumped up as this at Molineux for a long time. Maybe it was a reaction to the Leeds defeat and an understanding that they did it without two of our most important players.

Netos reaction, love it

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A good win, but we do like making it hard for ourselves. One day everything will click up front and someone will get a good hiding.

Regarding the penalty, I am not sure how the referee decided it was a foul by Sa, but that is where VAR should have come into play. But yet again it has been shown to be not fit for purpose.
One day?

We beat Watford 4-0 just last month...

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone else think Villa were the worst away fans we’ve had all season? Awful.

1-0 down away from home in a derby can do that to any set of fans.

Modern football you don't see many fans actually supporting their team.

I remember losing 0-6 to Southampton.

Simply the best support I have ever seen.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else think Villa were the worst away fans we’ve had all season? Awful.
Yep!
I was very surprised how poor they were, as their away following is usually exceptional.
The few times they bothered trying to get something going they were shouted down by our support, particularly the Southbank, whom I thought were superb yesterday. I was in the Graham Hughes stand and it was even rocking in there, though obviously being uncovered much of the atmosphere in there is lost. I'm still on cloud nine this morning!!!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He gave the ball away about 6 times in the first half. He was atrocious on the ball in our own half. Few good blocks and entry level left back stuff.
Blocks and a physical presence that RAN doesn’t have good performance I thought though done a job for us. Let’s see if RAN can get fitter and win back his place

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot agree with your Trincao comment at all.

Podence is playing the way Bruno wants us to play.He had another good game but I do agree with his theatricals.

Fabio had a good game ,would have bin a great game if he had scored from that effort he had.A bloody good save though.

Jonny...What a player we have there,after 2 serious injuries,becomes back and plays like he's never bin away.Awesome.

And villa fans have got to be the worst set of fans I've ever sin at wolves.They were bloody awful.
I've been highly critical of Trincao previously and with good reason but I think he's shown his worth the last 3 or 4 games. Credit it where it's due, much like Fabio, I think there's definitely a baller in there!

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps someone on the Mix who works with statistics could post how many penalties have been awarded against us this season, and how many for us.

I can think of four against us, City, Leeds, Spurs, Villa, but only one for us, Southampton.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't remember our players reacting to a win as pumped up as this at Molineux for a long time. Maybe it was a reaction to the Leeds defeat and an understanding that they did it without two of our most important players.

I love that clip. Says everything about why we have a team and not a collection of mercenaries.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On the Podence theatrics, I hate it, wish someone would have a word. However yesterday he was hard done by imo. Pretty much every time he went down, he had been clattered, Mcguinn went straight through the back of him at least twice with no retribution. He also got in elbow in the face, albeit his own fault for running into the back of a neanderthal

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel that he is being targeted. He is very tricky and skilful so sides are clattering him. Being small doesn't help with physicality. You don't see the opposition bash Willy Bolt.

R

reanswolf

That was a hard-fought but fully deserved win. Well done lads, without Neves and Jimenez I thought we would struggle as did many I was talking to before.

Scores on the doors: -

Jose Sa - 8 - made a couple of fantastic saves, weak on penalties though as he still goes too early (not that it was one).
Jonny - 8 - great to see the bulldog back, and what sweet shot, buried it perfectly.
Marcal - 8 - don't think he did anything wrong at all, nice cross to Ashley Young, put it perfectly on his head so he couldn't miss :)-.
Boly - 8 - steady as usual and brings ball out well
Kilman - 7.5 - a little less dominant than usual, but cant really remember him doing anything wrong.
Coady - 8 - read the game superbly and martialled Boly and Kilman just ahead of him. He is Mr Wolverhampton Wanderers!
Moutinho - 9 - totally ran the midfield with all his ability shining through and he just keeps on getting better and better. Love the camaraderie with the crowd, same as with Coady.
Donk - 8 - not his greatest fan but boy did he graft hard, which was vital yesterday. Loved his fight towards the end, showed great spirit. Put ya feet up this morning lad, you have earned a lot of credit!
Trincao - 6.5 - again showed flashes of what he can do, but faded out and was generally bullied off the ball.
Podence - 7 - again flashes of brilliance but as others have said his exaggerated antics at times, are just too much. Hard to determine when he is genuinely hurt or not. Poor final pass several times but without him we would be less creative.
Fabio - 8 - worked his socks off and wasn't bullied, unlucky not to score with his 2nd half shot. Never gave up. Just lacks any real pace.

SUBS

Neto - 7 - did ok but struggled to get into the game I thought. Think we will see the best of him next season.
Hwang - 6.5- link up play struggles but did well to set himself up with a clear chance but put just wide.
Chiquinho - 7 - brief cameo

BTW, loved the atmosphere yesterday, bit quieter/tenser 2nd half but generally pretty bloody hostile, North Bank quadrant were giving great support and even parts of North Bank joined in. Fair play. South Bank is just so feral, and Wolves Youth element (mouthy tho they are) just seems to be growing and growing.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been calling him out on it for a long time now. I do think its getting to the stage where ( as was said a few posts back ) he is so over dramatic he is starting to not get things given to him when he is genuinely fouled.
Exactly this. Such that when he went down clutching his face, I thought it was a con job.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio just has to start more games.
Suffice it to say that he looks better than Raul at the moment.
More games will build up his confidence and commitment.
Can't fault his passion to improve and deliver.
Today we saw why we paid what we did for him.
He's gonna be a real star and deservedly so!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like he clattered him from that angle? Whether he did or didn't don't give the referee the opportunity to make a decision. As I said earlier if that had been their keeper on Silva we would all have cried penalty. Wolves fans are looking at it through old gold coloured glasses.

And here’s the video link for anyone who wants to keep re living how **** a decision it was

@northnorfolkwolf As the clip in the post from @Woodsetton Wolf shows, from that angle it was clearly Watkins who clatters Sa. The stream I watched showed another angle, and in that it was a coming together after which Watkins rolls around on the floor until the ref makes a decision, then pops up. Only in a Villa fans dreams is that clearly a penalty.

Now I can excuse a ref making the call based on a single angle in real time, but VAR with all the angles available is specifically there to address that. Moreover, there are revised penalty rules which are intended to stop penalties being given for attackers diving or seeking accidental contact. So where the hell was Mason in the VAR booth? Probably in the bog not even watching. Let’s be honest, Mason has a long track record of not challenging wrong on field decisions, and being poor. Good riddance when he retires after this season.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A word on our front three yesterday...

Fabio clearly had his best game in a Wolves shirt. For a 19 year old a really promising performance. But let's keep things in perspective. He wasn't fabulous, he didn't bully the Villa defence and he most certainly wasn't man of the match. The impartial WhoScored had him behind Sa, Boly, Kilman, Podence and the excellent Jonny. But a really promising performance, and let's see how he does on Friday.

Trincao - I still can't see that he's worth signing, or swapping with Adama - and no way on God's earth is he worth £130,000 a week.

Pod? I wouldn't be unhappy if we sell him. He's a lovely footballer and he's intelligent, but I'm just sick to death of the theatrics. Many posters have said if you could only put Pod's footballing brain into Adama's body. Fair point - but if you could only put Jonny's attitude into Daniel Podence...
I am now thinking of the reverse cloning that sees Adamas footballing brain in Pods body.....

In fact there is a thread in their somewhere....

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
I’ve took a few screen shot after watching the video replay over and over again. Sa comes to collect the ball, Watkins goes for the ball misses it and clatters Sa, how the hell is that a penalty to them??
i agree if that is two outfield players in the middle of the pitch and one player wins the ball in a tackle and then follows through then the other guy wins the foul and it gets stated you can`t tackle like that any more.so watkins gets to the ball first and collides with Sa and becomes a penalty,magic!!

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good to come back with a win. I thought it was a largely comfortable game in which we should have scored a few more. We made hard work of it in the end again. Some poor defensive mistakes by Villa, but we made the most of them. It was a quality finish by Young. A proper striker's goal.

There were some really good individual performances throughout the team. Moutinho was the man of the match for me, although Silva was a close second. Hopefully, a goal from him will come soon as everything else he did very well. Pace, strength, and passing were all on show.

I was concerned that the players' heads went again yesterday. That's something to work on in the future. They need to stay calm and not get involved in petty nonsense

The dream of Europe is still alive.

Goal music -Booooo
To be fair. The petty nonsense dragged the last few minutes out. Spent virtually the whole of injury time pretending to fight.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
Someone needs to have a word with Podence about his arm waving/ injury feigning bull****. Beyond embarrassing- I didn't even begrudge Watkins in his attempt to win the ball after that.
agree totally about Podence i say it every game it costs the team.if he is genuinely injured then ok but invariably not,so the trainer comes on he has to go off and time gets added

Back
Top Bottom