Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang should have killed the game off regardless. That's his role at the club. Come on and add some vital goals, hold things up, not shoot a clear chance past the post and lose the ball all the while. He looks another Cutrone so far.

Moutinho and Silva the standouts today, though none of the starting XI had a bad match.

TBF to Hwang, it was a chance he 100% created himself, with a good touch. Others were far more guilty of wasting chances created by the work of others. Also , Hwang had been on 2 minutes at that point.

Trincao gets chance after chance and is forgiven because he scored once upon a time. One. Trincao gets a full season pass due to one goal. Fabio a lifetime pass because he ran around a lot. Hwang gets two minutes and if he dares miss , then it's off to the rubbish bin for him. Why be happy to have less from players who cost 2 and 3 times what Hwang cost? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

BTW The XG for Fabios miss is 0.29, for Hwangs it is 0.09. It's Fabio who should have killed the game off, if anything. And as for the Cutrone comparison,5 goals sounds better than 2, doesn't it?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Normally my long journey home is far more of a pleasure after we have won, but I am still absolutely furious about that bizarre penalty that stopped us coasting to victory. I was right behind it in the North bank and now I have also seen the highlights it looks even more ridiculous. Watkins kicked the ball and then jumped into Sa. You could see by the referee's reaction that he absolutely couldn't wait to give it.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. I think every player played really well today but special mentions must go out to Fabio who was magnificent (thoughts and prayers with @waveney wolf ), Moutinho who dominated the midfield, Dendoncker who put his best performance of the season in, and Jonny who looks like he's never been away.

Next game on Friday is on my doorstep and doesn't involve a 4 hour journey. Happy days and up the Wolves. Breathe, smile, start the engine, and eliminate all thoughts of Darren England.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Great win, should have been out of sight at HT. I could live to be 1000 and I'd still have no idea how Trincão didn't manage to get a shot off.

Seems like I'm in the minority and it was soft but I'd have wanted a penalty other end. Sa (who was ropey coming out all game) flew out and missed the ball. None of the players complained which said it all.

Sa 6
Jonny 8
Boly 6
Coady 7
Kilman 7
Marcal 8
Moutinho 7
Dendoncker 8
Trincao 6
Fabio 9
Podence 8

Terrific win and good performance. I hadn't even been able to think about football after Leeds. Today was good for the soul

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well deserved win should of been out of site at half time bossed the game totally in control but the last 15 minutes was a worry we have to see out games better.

Silva was good today showed 100% effort all game deserved a goal and big credit to Dendoncker he was superb.

Ref was shocking was giving Villa nearly everything as for the penalty I just don't know how VAR does not overrule that Watkins clearly initiated the contact.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic to get 3 points today. Ref had a shocker (as always it seems when they come to the Mol). Fabio was brilliant, really played well today. I'm still not convinced by Trincao. Watkins is an absolute ****.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I thought we were excellent all over the pitch for most of the game. It was a comfortable win that isn’t reflected on the score line due to bad decision making in/around the box and a truly bizarre penalty decision.

Special mentions to;

Jonny - Absolutely brilliant. What a comeback after two serious injuries. Love the man, and what a strike.

Moutinho - We have to give him a new contract. He is nowhere near done yet, still plays like a 28 year old. Superb.

Donck - Gets loads of stick, but thought he was fantastic today. I was worried about us losing the midfield battle but him and Mouts dominated them.

Trincao - Looked really classy and a proper threat again. His touch and the way he glides through people is a joy to watch. Hopefully he can finish the season strong.

Fabio - Played the lone striker role absolutely brilliantly. Played unselfishly, linked play, pressed them and unlucky not to score. Fantastic performance young man.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So, just to be clear:

If the ball is there to be won between a forward and a keeper, if you are the Wolves forward, you shouldn't go for it because if there is contact with the opposition keeper, you will be penalised. However, if you are the opposition forward, you should go for it, because if there is contact with the Wolves keeper, the keeper will be penalised. Even if the keeper is standing still and makes no movement towards the ball to instigate contact, unlike - for example - an opposition keeper rushing out of his goal area at full pelt.

Am I interpreting the rules correctly?
I imagine ref watch on Monday morning will say that Watkins and Meslier got to the ball first in both instances - it’s the only possible justification

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great win, good performances all over the field.
That ref was terrible, the penalty was right in front of us Watkins was late and completely cleaned Sa out.
Thought Silva and Donk were excellent.
Oh and by the way....I f###ing love Jonny.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great win, should have been out of sight at HT. I could live to be 1000 and I'd still have no idea how Trincão didn't manage to get a shot off.

Seems like I'm in the minority and it was soft but I'd have wanted a penalty other end. Sa (who was ropey coming out all game) flew out and missed the ball. None of the players complained which said it all.

Sa 6
Jonny 8
Boly 6
Coady 7
Kilman 7
Marcal 8
Moutinho 7
Dendoncker 8
Trincao 6
Fabio 9
Podence 8

Terrific win and good performance. I hadn't even been able to think about football after Leeds. Today was good for the soul
Sa did not miss the ball, it was on his finger tips when Watkins toe poked it away then crashed into him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine ref watch on Monday morning will say that Watkins and Meslier got to the ball first in both instances - it’s the only possible justification

If you get the ball first, then collide with an opponent on the follow through, you have not been fouled. Sa is hardly even moving, the ball is rolling towards him and he takes a couple of steps and is crouched to collect. Anybody saying "Sa charged out" needs to check a replay. Or get some better glasses. Or hide their Villa scarf a bit better.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donck and Moutinho brilliant today. Special word for Marcal. I was surprised he was picked today but he was superb. Fair play. Kilman looked back to his best as well.
All that and Boly, too, also good.

Though they were "decent enough", I'm not feeling this love for our forwards. :) Thought they did do some excellent work at various stages, but often messed it up at the critical moment. Too much overplaying. Add in losing possession numerous times when they really shouldn't have, a couple of times leaving us in trouble. All of them were guilty of it at times. (apart from Neto who came on too late to really make any impact). If you can't create something, when 2-0 up and 20 or 30 minutes to go, at least retain possession. I think if we had Raul up front, even the not fully recovered Raul, we would have won far more comfortably. And a truly quality forward line scores 4 or 5 past that Villa defence.

I'm not so easily swayed by one "better than usual" match, especially when the bar wasn't that high to start with. Same as I won't be swayed by a normally excellent player making a mistake in one match, that doesn't mean we have to dispose of them in this weeks recycling.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superb performance from all involved!
A well deserved win, despite the best efforts of the worst referee I've witnessed at Molineux since Uriah Rennie, though Kevin Friend would've held that title for a couple of weeks, had I been at the Leeds game!
Brilliant day was made all the more special by the double whammy of my daughter getting her first autograph, from Carl Ikeme, then bumping into Ruben Neves outside Molineux. It was her birthday in the week, so to receive a free home shirt, for spending some of her birthday money in the Megastore, was the icing on a very big cake....or so I thought!....the three points were definitely just that!
Well done Wolves and thanks for making a young girls day very special.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you get the ball first, then collide with an opponent on the follow through, you have not been fouled. Sa is hardly even moving, the ball is rolling towards him and he takes a couple of steps and is crouched to collect. Anybody saying "Sa charged out" needs to check a replay. Or get some better glasses. Or hide their Villa scarf a bit better.
I agree I was trying to imagine what excuse might be made

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donck and Moutinho brilliant today. Special word for Marcal. I was surprised he was picked today but he was superb. Fair play. Kilman looked back to his best as well.
Donck brilliant? FFS. Only passed sideways or backwards.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Delighted with the win and lots of positives like Jonny looking better and better, Boly stepping in and doing well and some very good moments from Silva. I’ve been critical of Trincao over the course of the season and deservedly so I believe but I will offer praise too as he’s improved a lot over the last two games but he’s still just that nano second too slow to release the ball or shoot. He needs to learn that in the English game that split second can be crucial.
I can’t let a verdict go without saying what a disgraceful decision it was for the penalty. OK the game is fast and refs are only human so mistakes happen which is what VAR is meant to rectify so to have the penalty confirmed by them I just have no words for it really.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the first couple of minutes where we started at a slow pace, we got the goal through a couple of Villa slips and things changed. Thoroughly deserved to be 2-0 ahead and probably should have been out of sight by half time. We weren't though, and the late penalty made the end far more nervous than it should have been and gave Villa hope that they seriously didn't deserve.

Everyone played well really, Moutinho ran the midfield very ably assisted by Dendoncker, no silly errors anywhere, everyone was at least a 7/10 today. The boy up front, though, he was very good. Probably his best performance against PL opposition and he can just edge Moutinho for MOTM for me

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So, just to be clear:

If the ball is there to be won between a forward and a keeper, if you are the Wolves forward, you shouldn't go for it because if there is contact with the opposition keeper, you will be penalised. However, if you are the opposition forward, you should go for it, because if there is contact with the Wolves keeper, the keeper will be penalised. Even if the keeper is standing still and makes no movement towards the ball to instigate contact, unlike - for example - an opposition keeper rushing out of his goal area at full pelt.

Them are the rules yep!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So, just to be clear:

You appear to have left out the whole who wins the ball, which is fairly important. Raul's wasn't a yellow because he was pulling out but Sa didn't get the ball and was across Watkins path who did get the ball. Was a pen imo

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
Accordingly to a Villa fan on their form, Wolves are the new Burnley. Horrible to watch, dirty and time wasters.

my god the words pot,kettle and black come to mind.this is the team that was gifted a goal by dirty leeds in their promotion season but would not reciprocate when Sheffield United has a goal clearly had a goal not count because the goal line technology threw a seven!!! get out of that one Perry

Back
Top Bottom