Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VERDICT - WOLVES V VILLA

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Echoed here is this quote from the VillaTalk forum:

One thing that struck me today was the atmosphere. The fans are being entertained and boy have they responded. The place was buzzing. Such a stark contrast to Villa Park.

Like everyone else I'm just so very pleased with the way things are progressing.

I just copied and pasted that to post on here, nice to read

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just home and haven't read the rest of the thread, just want to say thank you Wolves for a very happy birthday present, a well deserved win.
As for Jota, what a fantastic player, a pleasure to watch him weave his magic. Afraid of no-one.
Happy birthday to someone (just) older than me, all the best Kenny B
UTW

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A mate of mine said Villa have been on live TV 7 times so far(not sure if true) and we have been on once.Not really bothered .Keep it going Sky.

W

WolfOfWellington

Any new believers after that performance?

I think 3-0 would have been a fairer scoreline.

We battered Villa from start to finish. Don't think they even had a spell of anything threatening.

Jota is the difference between play offs and potential automatics for us this season.

Totally different class.

Oh and there's still no 'E' in Diogo for all those shouting his name when he scores :)

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was football filth! Thats probably the best ive ever seen a Wolves team play. They were all brilliant but special praise for Jota who was just unreal. There are just no words to sum up how well they played tonight. Buzzing!

S

Shifnal Wolf

Brilliant team performance full of quality and more importantly hard work and desire.

Thank you Nuno for masterminding this.

I tip my hat to the crowd and in particular the south bank who in the first half were as noisy as I can remember since the Reading play off game.

Enjoy your night and weekend all, I know I will now..!

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Fabulous. As comfortable and convincing a win as I've seen in this division.

Neves, Jota and Miranda outstanding.

Ruddy 6 (very little to do)
Batth 7
Coady 7
Miranda 8
Doherty 8
Saiss 8
Neves 9
Douglas 7
Costa 6
Jota 9
Cavaleiro 7

Bonatini 7

It's going to take a decent team to stop us.
Personally, think if you increase your scores by 1 across the team, that's about right.

I refuse to believe that Jota can play better than he did tonight, because if he can we seriously have a future world star playing at Molineux.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
30,200. There to witness team spirit skill belief and movement touch and working for each other
1m watching in china
We are going places with fosun and ENS
OMG
WAW
10 / 10 to a man
very interesting about 1million watching in china. source please?

M

MonkeySpanner

Missed it today but can't wait to watch it tomorrow.
That league table looks great tonight..

D

Deleted member 3573J

The media continue to go on about the money we've spent, but what about Villa? Their 15m striker looked like a old Kodjia, John Terry 100k a week (ha), the guy doesn't move more than 10 yards at a time, a ball went forward late on and all he had to do was step out and collect it but chose to continue jogging backwards and let Marshall have it. Fat boy Whelen in midfield, just a reminder of someone we could have had if we'd stuck with the tombola fella.

Overall we made a team that cost way more than ours, look as ordinary as I've seen in many a year.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Majestic. I thought the whole team were outstanding today, there was no obvious weak link. Villa are no mugs, they'll be challenging for the top 6. But they couldn't lay a glove on us. What impressed me most was how we controlled the game. Usually derby games are quite frenetic, blood and thunder, end to end. Today though, it was like those cartoons when a little scamp is swinging wildly at the big guy, who is holding the lad's head at arm's length. Villa, for all their huff and puff, just simply weren't in the game for 85 minutes. You have to give massive credit to Wolves for how they managed the game. Fantastic to watch.

Nuno made two changes from the Burton game. Douglas replaced Vinagre at left wing back, and Coady returned from suspension to replace Bennett. The game began with Wolves on the front foot, Doherty firing high and wide after a ball broke to him. Hutton produced an excellent challenge, just as Costa looked set to go past him and through on goal. Snodgrass was then fortunate not to be sent off, a very poor challenge on Cavaleiro on the touchline was punished only by a booking.

Saiss came close to opening the scoring, when Cavaleiro's floated cross from the right found the Moroccan, but he could only divert the ball wide of the post from inside the six yard box. Then, Neves had an effort deflected wide. Jota then came to the party, picking the ball up inside his own half, driving at the Villa defence, and earning a corner when his shot was blocked by Terry. Miranda did well to bring the ball out of defence, and he continued his run to the edge of the box. His side footed effort was close, but could only ripple the side netting, with Johnstone scrambling across his goal nervously.

Neves arguably came closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half, his vicious, well struck effort stinging the palms of Johnstone, who could only push it over the bar. But, it was 0-0 at the break.

Second half also began with Wolves in the ascendency. Bonatini replaced Costa at the break, and was involved in some neat interplay early on, which eventually saw Saiss produce a teasing cross, which no one gambled on. Wolves did eventually take the lead however. Cavaleiro found space down the right, but his cross was slightly overhit. However, it reached Jota beyond the far post. His first two touches took him away from his marker, and his third touch was a thunderous strike which screamed past Johnstone and into the net. 1-0!

Wolves continued to press, and another last ditch block by Terry prevented the lead being doubled. The relief was only temporary however, as Wolves doubled the lead with a fabulous goal. Neves impudently flicked the ball over two players' heads, to begin an attack. Jota began tearing through the middle of the pitch, with Terry back-peddling quicker than a Tory MP. Eventually, Jota jinked past the defenders, but his chance to shoot was taken away by Hutton. However, it broke to Bonatini. From a tight angle, he fired low and into the far corner, for 2-0.

Confidence soaring, Wolves then strung a move together which was utterly breathtaking. There must have been at least 30 passes involved, before Doherty's cross was headed goalwards by Jota. Johnstone made the block, and reacted quickly to keep out Bonatini's follow up. Wolves did start to tire towards the end, allowing Villa a bit more of a foothold. In that time, Snodgrass rattled the crossbar from a free kick, with Ruddy beaten. In the end, the clean sheet was secured.

As I say, I thought we were excellent. We controlled the game, played it at the tempo we wanted to. We dominated the midfield area, which allowed us to do as we pleased across the rest of the pitch. And in front of the Sky cameras too! I think after that, they'll be wanting to watch us every week!

Ratings:

Ruddy- 7. Did he misjudge Snodgrass' free kick at the end? He seemed surprised to see it hit the bar. Otherwise, he was untroubled throughout, made some really good claims from balls played in.

Batth- 8. Very solid game, made a couple of really good interceptions to stop Villa trying to break through. One or two wayward passes, but generally speaking, used the ball smartly and sensibly. Huge improvement on last season.

Coady- 7. Sensible game, one or two really good clearances inside the six yard box. Tried a couple of really imaginative passes forward, which didn't quite come off.

Miranda- 9. Thought he was excellent. Got his distances spot on when handling Davis and Kodjia. Tight enough to snaffle out any chances, but not too tight to get turned. Used the ball really well too, super composure under pressure.

Doherty- 7. Did well going forward, got the better of Adomah on a couple of occasions, and got into excellent positions. A couple of his crosses were overhit, and on one occasion he tried to pick someone out first time when he had time to take a touch. But otherwise, very dependable, as ever.

Saiss- 8. Does a really effective job in the engine room. Gets about the pitch, breaking up play, keeping the ball ticking over. Thought he did well again today.

Neves- 9- MotM. His best game in a Wolves shirt, for me. An absolute dream of a performance. Watching him against Whelan and Hourihane was like watching a Lambourghini cruise past two clapped out Robin Reliants. Every touch was measured, considered and executed largely to perfection. Not a single pass is wasted, even if it doesn't find its target.

Douglas- 8. Thought he did really well to keep Snodgrass quiet. Perhaps he was selected ahead of Vinagre for that reason? If so, another good call by Nuno.

Costa- 7. Not quite at full match speed yet, but some of the flicks and tricks were sublime. Saw some really promising signs with the link up with Cavaleiro and Jota.

Jota- 9. Again, a pleasure to watch. Loved the buzz and hum of excitement every time he got the ball, even in his own half. Super composure to open the scoring, and it was his driving run which disintegrated the Villa defence for the second goal.

Cavaleiro -7. Bit of a frustrating game. Got kicked all over the place, in his defence, but a few times he held onto the ball too long, or chose the wrong option with the pass. Still played his part in an excellent team performance, and will claim an assist with the cross which Jota controlled and finished.

Subs:

Bonatini- 7. Worked hard, held the line really well, and was in the right place to finish off the second goal.

Marshall- Did well to cut inside on a couple of occasions, and could have scored.

N'Diaye- Brought a bit of extra energy and bite into a tiring midfield.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What a great game, just about come down enough to watch it again now on the TV.

Jez said there would be never be fireworks at Molineux again as long as he was with us, those thoughts are behind us in every possibly way now.

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
Costa was not really in the game, I have seen Neves had better games, Douglas was nothing special, Ruddy without any real saves, but who cares?.. - all players 8 or higher with Jota a 10 as MOTM. By far our best performance this season. We controlled the game from the start and just got better and better. Second half fantastic. Without that exceptional performance from Hutton and the triple saves from their goalie we could have got 5.. at least. And this time it was no Burton we were up against.. Villa was not bad, but we are the best team in the world.
What an odd post. You mention four players who apparently didn't impress you but then go on to say everyone was an 8/10 or above?

portugaletc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
DMH3-oYWkAAx7Bd.jpg

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/919288466625761280

Monswolf

Reaction score
What an outstanding performance today. Pure class. I have never seen such an outstanding team performance in all my time watching the wolves if Diogo’s headed goal have been given it would of been goal pf the season without a doubt. How great is it to see highly talented highly motivated and above all highly intelligent players in the old gold and black

Thank you mr Mendez, thank you Fosun and thank you Nuno

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Some of the Villa fans think we would kill for the likes Terry Chester Adonai and Snodgrass and that their squad is better than ours .:rolleyes:

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just wow.. I’m always proud of being a wolves fan but let’s face it, its not always easy. In my 35 years of being a fan, there have been a few moments that will live long in the memory. Sherpa can final , play off final; that late win against the blues, late winner against the Albion, winner against Man Utd, but being honest, they have been few and far between.

Today was special, never felt prouder, for once wolves didn’t disappoint. We are seriously on the cusp of something very special.:)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got home with my man u supporting son. Boy, was he impressed.

What can you say? ****ing brilliant from start to finish. When did we last play football as good as that? I'm 69 and I can't remember. All praise to Nuno for getting this miracle together

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an odd post. You mention four players who apparently didn't impress you but then go on to say everyone was an 8/10 or above?

Yep he’s talking nonsense. Neves gave the best performance I’ve seem from a CM in a Wolves shirt since I started coming in the early 90’s.

J

JR's Boots

Sensational. A complete team performance masterminded by the genius of Nuno. We have a very special team; the best I've seen since the early 70's. Over the moon Brian

D

Deleted member 5635

8.5 everyone who played... Still room for improvement(somehow) and that's being really selfish...fantastic...what a performance...I feel lucky to be alive during this time of wolves/Nuno/fosun vision

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Olé Olé Olé Olé Olé

Passing side to side, front to back, one touch, dizzying football, Villa never got close, and Jota should've scored...

Then, a pause. A moment 30,000 people seemed to stop. Astonished.

And then.. a spontaneous standing ovation from all corners of the ground, that lasted almost a minute. I couldn't stop smiling, I welled up. In unison the thousands who were there to a man realised how utterly brilliant this team is.

It was the best passage of play I've ever seen at a football game.

It was the moment, seeing the whole stadium stand, that when we're playing in Europe in 2 years time, I'll look back on and say that was the moment I knew.

Olé

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That was one of, if not the best performance I've ever seen live.

At the risk of offending people on here even older than me, it's the best football we've ever played. Not in relative terms I'm sure, but in absolute terms I refuse to believe we've ever played football as good as this. I saw the 70's team doing well in the top division, I didn't see the 50's teams, I'm sure they were brilliant at what they did on mud heaps with leather balls weighing a ton, but surely they couldn't have done many of the things Jota and Neves did today. I have had a few beers and too much excitement for one day though so sorry if this turns out not to be true!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More astute than Bruce. He kept giving the impression that Wolves were only better 'ON THE DAY' as if it was a bloody cup game.
What do you expect? We were sh@t on and witnessed the champions elect?

Back
Top Bottom